Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2019, 15:24   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsbhp View Post
A generic BMW question... have any of you observed a 12v power socket under the front passenger glove box (deep under, and close to center console) ? I read in many forums that most of E and F models has this, but apparently i have only a matching (in size) hole (and no power socket).
I was wondering about the same, as I read about this power socket in many forums too. But sadly, in my car too (320d F30 LCI), there is only a hole there with no power socket.
Old 29th November 2019, 10:57   #197
V3V

re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up

My car (X1 F48 20i) has a 12V power socket under the centre console.
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:59   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3V View Post
My car (X1 F48 20i) has a 12V power socket under the centre console.
Thats the usual one, right ? What I'm looking for is the (so called) hidden one under the Passenger side Glove Box. Do you have one ?

Meantime, I haven't heard from the BMW guys yet (to my email).
Old 17th December 2019, 12:50   #199
BHPian

The SA with Dealer confirmed that BMW stopped providing the 12v power socket under the passenger side glove-box long time ago. It seems some of the older models, which had imported components, used to have that.

The SA also confirmed that (at least) my GT's wiring kit do not have an option for additional port, so fixing a 12v port in the hole under the glove-box is not possible. He suggested to go for BMW Advanced Care Eye 2.0, for an integrated installation, which apparently is not value for money from my perspective. So I guess I have to use the 12v socket in the front storage compartment (near Cup Holders) for the DashCam power, and the next door shop guy said he could conceal the cables almost 95% length.

I still wonder why in the world they left that hole for the power socket under the glove-box
Old 27th December 2019, 17:32   #200
BHPian

Re: Booking, Delivery and De-Chroming

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Booking and Delivery Experience:

Front grille wrapped in black. The technician did a fantastic job in wrapping without any seams.
Attachment 1744970

The grille after the black wrap.
Attachment 1744967

The side view after the black wrap.
Attachment 1744969
Hi @Graaja,

Earlier this week I visited BMW Deutsche Motoren Showroom on Mathura Road and saw this 330i GT with black grill, side view mirrors, rims. I was reminded of the pictures you posted after adding the black wrap on chrome on your car. This one also looks beautiful. I was surprised to see it. The SA said they modified it for a client.
Attached Thumbnails
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-img_2702.jpg  

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-img_2701.jpg  

aseemsood is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 10:27   #201
Team-BHP Support

Re: Booking, Delivery and De-Chroming

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseemsood View Post
Hi @Graaja,

Earlier this week I visited BMW Deutsche Motoren Showroom on Mathura Road and saw this 330i GT with black grill, side view mirrors, rims. I was reminded of the pictures you posted after adding the black wrap on chrome on your car. This one also looks beautiful. I was surprised to see it. The SA said they modified it for a client.
Thank you for the pictures. The black grill is available with BMW at a price of around 11K. As the wrap was 10% of that price, I went ahead with the wrap. When the wrap peels off, I may go with the OEM black grill.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 14:03   #202
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Hi
3. A friend had got the Kagu mats for me from Chennai. From him, I came to know that there is a dealer in Bangalore who sells Kagu mats. The mats are a perfect fit for the 3GT and I am very happy with them.

Hot Tracks
1st Cross Road, No. 17, Thyagi M Palanivelu Rd, Next to India Garage Workshop, Victoria Layout, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560047

Congratulations once again. Post a few pictures of your GT.
Anil Padival - owner of Hot Tracks. Also owns a Luxe Used car showroom in BLR.
This 3D Kagu mats - I am reliably informed that Anil is the sole importer/ distributor and/ or has the rights to it in this part of the world.
I can vouch for the 3D Kagu mats - I had put them in my Yeti as soon as I bought the car. And they lasted without damage all of the 8 years I owned it. I gave them along with the Yeti to the new owner.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 06:18   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Sourcing the Tires:
The local BMW dealer had given a quote of 70K for replacing the tires, of which 57.4K was for the tires and 12.6K for replacing and wheel alignment etc.
I got my 3GT's rear tyres changed (done 36K km) from BMW authorised service station.
They charged me Rs. 67,780 (including taxes) for:
1) 2 x Continental 255/45 R 18 W Run Flats
2) Wheel balancing
3) Wheel alignment with height adjustment
4) Installation of tyres

Thanks to this thread I was better informed. I contacted 3 dealers of Continental Tyres in NCR Delhi. All of them said that Continental officially does not provide this tyre size in aftermarket. Same size was available in Tubeless but not RFTs.

Post that I negotiated with BMW service station. They were sweet and offered discounts on the initial quotation of 76K.

Here is a pic of one of the new tyres installed.
Attached Thumbnails
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-3gt_rear_tyre.jpg  

aseemsood is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 06:35   #204
Team-BHP Support

A milestone achieved a couple of weeks back. As I write this post, the car has crossed 35,500 kilometers.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-milestone.jpg

Rear brakepads changed

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-brake-pad-change-notification.jpg

A couple of weeks back, I saw this message while starting the car. This was a notification to change the rear brake pads. Fixed up an appointment and took the car to BMW workshop. As there were many other cars in queue, had to wait about 6 hours for the change to be completed. Rear brake pads were changed and car was washed. Thanks to BSI+, did not pay anything. The service manager showed me the invoice they send to BMW. It was around 17K. I asked him how much it would be outside BSI+. He said it would be another 3K to 4K more. The service manager also asked the mechanic to check the wear on the discs. Both front and rear discs are about 0.8mm more than the minimum requirement per BSI norms. He said he would check again during the next oil service (due in another 4000 km), and change if needed. As usual, had a fantastic experience at the workshop.

The car after wash. As good as new.

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-washed-1.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-washed-2.jpg

Bent alloys

During the brake pad change, the technician also inspected the alloys. Both the fron and left alloys had a bend. Should have happened due to some potholes. There are too many potholes in Coimbatore roads these days. Though I take potholes very carefully, there are times some pothole comes up totally unexpected. One such pothole should have cause this bend. Enquired the cost of alloys. The manager said it would cost about 50K + 28% tax per alloy. Including the fitting and alignment charges, I was looking at a damage of 1.5 lakhs.

A friend told me about a used alloys dealer from Delhi who has stock of BMW alloys. Usually, these are alloys from cars that owners have upgraded the wheels. He had bought two alloys for his 320D and told me they were in very good condition.

Talked to this dealer and he had stock of a set of 4 alloys from a 330i M Sport sedan. There is a +2mm and -4mm offset difference for the rear and front wheels respectively compared to the alloys in my GT. This would mean the rear wheels would go in by 2mm and the front wheels would come out by 4mm. Checked the clearance between the wheels and the suspensions in the rear and there is about 30mm of clearance which should not be a problem. Not sure about the front coming out by 4mm. I guess this would be similar to upsizing the tire width. Have ordered these alloys. Will update once I receive them and fix them. Below is the picture sent by the dealer of the alloys.

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-alloys.jpg

As I had a 750km drive coming up during the weekend, went and balanced the wheels. During balancing, found another alloy had centering issue. They were able to compensate using weights (about 50 grams). During my weekend drive, there was a very slight vibration in the steering wheel at 70kph to 80kph band. But no vibrations outside this band. I was able to comfortably cruise at 100 to 120kph without any wobble or vibration.

Rendezvous with stars

Attended a star gazing event organized by Bangalore Astronomy Club. A few pictures from this event.

Love the GT for the practicality. The boot with the 6" telescope and weekend luggage for four.

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-luggage.jpg

At the camp site.

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-camp-site-1.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-camp-site-2.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-camp-site-3.png

A few more random pictures.

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-picture-1.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-picture-2.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-picture-3.jpg

That's all I have for now folks. Will update soon with the alloys change.
graaja is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 09:59   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Talked to this dealer and he had stock of a set of 4 alloys from a 330i M Sport sedan. There is a +2mm and -4mm offset difference for the rear and front wheels respectively compared to the alloys in my GT. This would mean the rear wheels would go in by 2mm and the front wheels would come out by 4mm. Checked the clearance between the wheels and the suspensions in the rear and there is about 30mm of clearance which should not be a problem. Not sure about the front coming out by 4mm. I guess this would be similar to upsizing the tire width. Have ordered these alloys.
Those look like 530d alloys. The small difference in offset shouldn't matter much . I blame the RFTs for the bent alloys. Indian roads and RFTs are really not made for each other. Do consider changing to tubeless for next change and put an end to these kind of woes
Santoshbhat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 10:35   #206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Those look like 530d alloys. The small difference in offset shouldn't matter much . I blame the RFTs for the bent alloys. Indian roads and RFTs are really not made for each other. Do consider changing to tubeless for next change and put an end to these kind of woes
Thank you Santosh

Even last time, I did consider changing to tubeless. But two things stopped me.

1. Lack of proper spare wheel and the space saver taking up lot of space in the boot. For the long trips I take with family, I need maximum boot space.
2. For the size, profile and staggered setup, I could not find any options in tubeless tires. The only way I could go tubeless is by going for a square setup with 245 tires on all the wheels.

Can you give me your opinion on #1 and how you manage this? Do you carry the space saver with you during your long trips? How do you mitigate the risk of a flat or tire blow out?

I think the tires will come up for replacement in another 5000 kilometers. I will check out the options available in tubeless this time.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 10:44   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Talked to this dealer and he had stock of a set of 4 alloys from a 330i M Sport sedan.
Those look in very decent nick, how much did they set you back? Super pics from the camping session, btw, lovely colors!

Quote:
Those look like 530d alloys.
I'm 99.9% certain they are 530d alloys, from the facelift. Say what you will about BMW's recent design language, their alloys are almost always on point.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 10:49   #208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Those look like 530d alloys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I'm 99.9% certain they are 530d alloys, from the facelift. Say what you will about BMW's recent design language, their alloys are almost always on point.
Ah. Got it. I was actually looking for these alloys in BMW parts database for the 330i M Sport. Now I know why I could not find them. Will check the 530D specs and confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Those look in very decent nick, how much did they set you back? Super pics from the camping session, btw, lovely colors!
Thanks a lot mate
The alloys cost 50K for the set of four.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 11:41   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The alloys cost 50K for the set of four.
Awesome!! 👏

Nice to know that you are enjoying your ride Ganesh. Do you camp on a regular basis?
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 11:43   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Awesome!! 👏

Nice to know that you are enjoying your ride Ganesh. Do you camp on a regular basis?
Thank you Chethan

I am new to camping. But having experienced this during the star gazing event, planning to get a tent and exploring dark sites for star gazing.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed