Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2021, 21:00   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)

Likes;

- Exterior Looks (AMG Line Kit + A Great Set of Wheels but importantly the GLA finally looks like a compact SUV & not a tall Hatchback)
- Engine & Gearbox Performance (190 HP & 400 NM & 8 Speed DCT combo)
- Interiors (Modernised & Functional)
- 4Matic (Grip & Security)

Dislikes;

- Pricing (This segment has become Expensive)
- Missing Features (360 Deg. Camera, Rear Parking Sensors, HUD etc.)
- Ride Quality (Though better than the Stiffer Outgoing Model, but could have been even better with thicker sidewall & smaller rims)
- Less Boot Space (Even though the new gen GLA has 15% more cargo carrying capacity than the previous gen, still its the smallest boot in the segment)

Video Review;

New v/s Old;

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-tod02192.jpg

^ As you can see, the new Generation GLA not only looks Modernised but also more self confident. The 2nd Gen. GLA gets a New Grille (Chrome Diamond Black), New Bumpers (AMG Line / Body Styling), Power Wedges in the Bonnet, Restyled Multi-Beam LED Headlights & an overall Upright stance are some of the distinguishing features upfront.

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-screenshot-20210704-3.59.31-pm.png

^ At the rear the new TailLights adopt the family look of SUV's from the Mercedes stable. The AMG Line treatment continues with an aggressive rear diffuser. The New GLA also gets a Wider Track Width. Do note that the Luggage Space has increased & now can accommodate approx 15% more Cargo.

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-tod02221.jpg

From the side there's no doubt that the new GLA looks and feels much more Sporty, Confident & SUV like than the older model thanks to it being 10 cm higher and the squared off Wheel Arches. Love the 19" AMG Wheels (Previous Gen was equipped with 18"ers) offered on this AMG Line trim now available on the GLA. Do Notice the shorter Overhangs, both Front & Rear, but also interesting to note that the old Generation GLA is longer than the new but the wheelbase is more in the new generation freeing up more interior Space, which we discuss next. The previous gen GLA looked like an bloated, taller A Class, where as the new GLA somewhat looks like a smaller GLC from the side.

Interior;

Interior Space was where the GLA really needed an upgrade, especially the rear seat space.

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-screenshot-20210704-8.01.01-pm.png

As you can see in the above pic I am seated in the Old Gen (Red) Car in the rear seat and you can see the lack of space, thigh support and also the headroom. While the pic below is from the new gen GLA & the pic is self explanatory.
This 2nd Gen GLA has 116 mm more headroom, 45 mm more elbow room, 43 mm more shoulder room & 114 mm more legroom at the rear. More Legroom is evident and overall airiness has also increased irrespective of this black interior. The new gen GLA's rear seat does get travel and does recline too to free up more luggage area in the boot for oddly shaped cargo.

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-screenshot-20210704-8.08.24-pm.png

Front;

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-5f3af462fedf44eebe7fca73374c4fa6.jpg

^ The new gen GLA gets an all new Interior just like the current new SUV / Sedans from the Mercedes stable like GLE, GLS etc. The new layout which we see in the W223 S Class & W206 C Class will take time to be implemented (May be reserved for the 3rd Gen, if not the facelift). Overall, Love the all black upholstery on the seats, there is a generous use of Alcantara with Red Stitching which adds to the sportiness to the cabin.

Some of the highlighting features are as under;

- New Twin Screen Dashboard & with a customisable Cluster.
- New Gen Steering Wheel with touch control buttons.
- Higher Seating Position.
- Pan Roof Retained.
- MBUX system.

Overall the design of the dashboard, material selection, and the overall premium feel delivered to an entry level Compact SUV is really commendable.

Its interesting to see that features like the radar/sensor based brake assist have made way to the Indian market but the 360 Deg. Camera, Rear Parking Sensors & a HUD haven't.

Driving the All New GLA: 220d 4Matic;

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-screenshot-20210704-8.36.40-pm.png

The All new GLA gets an all new Platform called the MFA-2 platform(Modular Front Architecture 2).
Cars like the A Class, CLA, GLB etc use this platform in other words its being used by front wheel drive Models however compatible to use the 4Matic AWD system which is available in this case which is a front biased AWD but more on that later as before we discuss the Engines.
The GLA variant line up in India is largely down to 3 engine options, the base petrol which is the Renault sourced 1.3L Turbo. Then there is a top of the line locally assembled 35AMG & then there is this, the 220 Diesel. The OM654 220d gets about 190 HP & 400 NM which gives the GLA a really ANIMATED Driving experience.

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-img_2803.jpg

This thing is FAST, i think this engine really makes the GLA very distinctive & if i am not wrong this may be the fastest car in the segment. I know cars are getting very expensive these days and the GLA is not exactly cheap. But this variant here is making the same exact torque as the GLA 35 AMG which is almost INR 15L more expensive hence this surely makes it a tremendous performer and FAST enough for you to not really consider the AMG at all. Also, if you'd drive sensibly one can achieve 15 + km/l easily where the added ratio of the Gearbox comes in handy. The Gearbox is new and now the 220d gets an 8 speed DCT against the 7 speed DCT of the previous generation. This added ratio helps the GLA with better gearing for improved acceleration and also good economy mentioned earlier as it can maintain lower rpms thanks to more Gears available.

Suspension/Ride Quality;

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-screenshot-20210704-8.31.44-pm.png

The suspension, the tuning is really good as it does deliver a good ride quality considering we are on a 19" Setup. However it still won't flatten out deep potholes for you as you do have to note that with an 19" setup on an Entry Level Mercedes the tyre profile (50) is still low for an SUV.

Handling;

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-img_2802.jpg

The GLA handles well for its size & that's not a surprise, if it wouldn't have handled well then it would have been a downer. Its got the moves & it's agile enough to keep you engaged & on the limit the 4Matic will always be on the lookout for you & helping.
Hence, a strong point for this variant was the 4-Matic AWD system. It's important to note that this is a full time AWD and not switchable system. Though yes it is surely front biased which is felt when driving hard, but this would be far better than the FWD variant for driving fast or monsoons and yea also would be very handy Off Road or Trail Driving.
The steering is also very predictable in most situations and doesn't spoil the handling. However the previous generation had a stiffer suspension setup and was a bit more friendly in corners, do also note that the previous generation was lower slung too.

Miscellaneous Points;

- The GLA model compared (Red GLA) in the video &. this thread is the Previous Generation Post Facelift Model.
- This new Generation Model of the GLA is having the chassis Code H247 whereas the previous was X156.
- This MFA2 platform also supports full EV & will be available in the form of the EQA.
- Front Seats are now fixed higher enabling the rear passengers to slide their feet under the seats easily, this needed mentioning as in the previous gen this was not possible.
- Wheelbase has been increased in the new gen by aprox 30 mm.
- In Eco the Car acts almost like a front wheel drive as upto 80% of the power is sent to the front wheels, in sport/dynamic it goes into a 70:30 ratio but in Off Road Situations the AWD systems' clutch acts as an inter-axle differential lock, to give a balanced 50:50 Power Split.
- Ground Clearance is up by 9 mm.
- The 220d Engine sounds good at almost all RPMs.
- Paddle Shifters are a joy to use as they are made of full metal.
- Indicators have the windscreen wiper controls, its annoying as I mistakenly set them On quite a few times.
- Yet another Mercedes with fake exhaust tips.
- The GLA had a radar/sensor based Auto Braking feature.
- Rear Boot/Trunk is now powered, where as in the previous gen it wasn't.
- Space Saver has been placed in the boot, eats up the cargo area.
- The Boot Sill has been lowered for better/easier access for loading/unloading.
- Tyre Profile is 235/50 R19 in the new Gen, where as the previous gen GLA has 235/50 R18.

Final Thoughts;

The GLA competes with the likes of the Volvo XC40, BMW X1 & Audi Q3. When the 1st Generation GLA was launched about 8 years back it was clearly positioned as an entry level compact SUV offered by Mercedes. But, it lacked the 'SUVness' and space. This New Generation of the GLA as a product is surely a substantial step in the right direction for Mercedes towards this segment.

Mod Note: Our Mercedes GLA Facelift Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Omkar : 30th January 2024 at 11:47.
karan561 is offline   (69) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 08:15   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)

Thanks for sharing Karan! Will go to our homepage tomorrow or day after . I hated the last-gen GLA, but this one surely looks better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Engine & Gearbox Performance (190 HP & 400 NM & 8 Speed DCT combo)
How did you find Mercedes' DCT in comparison to VAG's DSG or the hallowed ZF-8?

Quote:
Pricing (This segment has become Expensive)
You can say that again! Carwale.com shows me this . Obscene pricing for a hatchback'ish crossover. Worse still is it's missing features offered by 20-lakh cars.
Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-screenshot-20210705-081015.jpg

While the car is better than the 1st-gen, the biggest problem is the price and the biggest challenge for Mercedes is that 20 - 35 lakh SUVs have gotten so darn competent. Other than the badge, I see no reason why anyone would buy this over cheaper crossovers.
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 11:12   #3
Team-BHP Support

Exceptional, unbiased & detailed reviews of cars that don't have an official review have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.

Your review has also gone here. Thank you so much for sharing .

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-gla.png
Aditya is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 21:37   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for sharing Karan! Will go to our homepage tomorrow or day after .
Thank You GTO
Quote:
How did you find Mercedes' DCT in comparison to VAG's DSG or the hallowed ZF-8?
I believe this new 8G DCT has been specially developed by Mercedes for their Front Wheel Drive Range / MFA 2 platform. I found it to be fast enough at the same time not jerky at low speeds (which some DCT's do feel). About the ZF8, I somehow still have a soft spot for the typical ZF8's as they have had a good reliability record and are fast enough that won't make you miss those Dual Clutches.
Quote:
While the car is better than the 1st-gen, the biggest problem is the price and the biggest challenge for Mercedes is that 20 - 35 lakh SUVs have gotten so darn competent. Other than the badge, I see no reason why anyone would buy this over cheaper crossovers.
True That !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Exceptional, unbiased & detailed reviews of cars that don't have an official review have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.
Your review has also gone here. Thank you so much for sharing .
Thanks Aditya for your appreciation and enlistment to our homepage reviews box,
karan561 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 22:01   #5
BHPian

Great review and really good to see the in-depth comparison with the 1st Gen GLA in your video.

This is a good car with fantastic interiors that's priced too high. Also not a great thing to have a 1.3 litre petrol engine shared with Duster/Kicks.

I'll be keeping an eye out in the used car market for this in the next 3-4 years

How would you rate this on everyday driving / comfort / ground clearance etc as a practical daily driver when compared to let's say the X1 or Q3?
Shreyas_H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 11:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice review and well written

The GLA is undoubtedly the perfect daily car for our Indian driving conditions and makes it a very practical Mercedes. However the price will make sure it does not happen that way. At such price ranges people would want something more big to show for it and there lies the problem.

The car in itself looks great and interiors are in line with the new Mercedes design language. The front headlamps and bumpers are no doubt true to the Mercedes style seen nowadays. The rear however reminds me of the previous generation i20.

Review: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA (H247)-gla-i20.png
Image source: google images.

Last edited by TrackDay : 6th July 2021 at 11:20.
TrackDay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 12:43   #7
BHPian

Great review @Karan561. Already saw the video on your channel.
The car looks absolutely stunning compared to the 1st gen GLA which always gave the hatchback sort of feel.
But for 50L on road the car seems really overpriced, 35-40L would have been a better and a more competitive price. This car would have made sense if there would have been some discounts on offer but now with the new on order production system of Mercedes that too seems unlikely.
Jatin247 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 13:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Good review . GLA to me has always been a car for buyers who wanted a 3 point star and everything else is did not matter much. While car has improved, the price has been increased to whole new level. I will happily pick a 3 series or even older generation C class at these price. With new strategy for selling cars by MB and this kind of pricing is a perfect recipe for a flop model.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 14:51   #9
BHPian

Superb Review Karan, rated 5 stars!!

Is it just me or anyone else liked the first gen GLA better, especially in the Red? It looked so much better and has a nice road presence. The new one, although inline with new Mercedes design language - feels a bit muted.

Stupid pricing though, there are so many options now to pick over this for 50L. I expect heavy discounts around Diwali to move it from the floors.
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 16:28   #10
BHPian

Does anyone know why something as basic as ultrasonic sensors have been missed?

I thought 2 sensors were made mandatory on all cars by the govt.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 18:09   #11
BHPian

Excellent review Karan! Rated it as 5 Star. Following are few pointers from my end. Apologies, in advance, if these have already been covered in your review.

1) One major plus point which definitely deserves a mention under the Likes section is, the GLA gets a standard an 8-year warranty on the engine, transmission, control units of these two and turbocharger! Strangely, Mercedes-Benz haven't specified the mileage limit for this warranty in their official brochure.

2) So good to see GLA equipped with the Active Brake Assist (with autonomous braking)! Shockingly, the recently launched E-Class and GLC facelift models don't get this. Even the newly launched A Class doesn't get it. I'm hopeful it'll be added in the newer Mercedes models. Note: The facelift E-Class, GLC and new A-Class get the basic Active Brake Assist. It doesn't brake for you but increases the brake pedal pressure if the driver has already applied the brake but with a light foot.

3) The rear armrest is absent in the non-AMG variants. The rear-parking sensors, like you've mentioned, aren't provided in any variant. I'm surprised how Mercedes-Benz got away with this as it was made mandatory by the govt, as part of the safety kit, to equip the same in all the new cars, manufactured from April 2019 onwards.

4) The ride quality would be slightly better in its most popular selling variant (220d 4x2) as it has 18" wheels. Again, the company website fails to mention the exact wheel dimensions of this variant.

5) Unlike the A Class, GLA gets hydraulic struts to open the bonnet.

6) Like the A Class, the headrest and under-thigh support adjustment, for the front seats, aren't electric anymore. This also means, it won't be part of the memory settings if and when these adjustments are done. That's a step back, in my opinion.

7) The front seats are equipped with memory functions but they're skipped in GLA's elder siblings, GLC and GLE (300d).

8) GLA gets the front camera but GLE (300d) doesn't.
romil.shroff is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 18:56   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Classy and well detailed review and comparison with the old hatchback-y GLA, Sir! Saw your video of it as well.

I sat in the new GLA 35 AMG this Sunday and I was surely impressed by it! First I was a bit sceptical about it because I remember the first gen GLA was not great at space at all, I had similar expectations with this one as well but Mercedes-Benz has surely worked on it and I found the space really good!

Plus the front row seats in the new one have been placed on a mount liberating space for rear passengers to slide their feet below the front seats even in their lowest position.

What blew me away was the interior, boy ohh boy it felt like a very special place to be in along with the 64 colour ambient lighting. And the GLA 220d AMG Line gets the same seat upholstery like the GLA 35 AMG.

I saw the GLA 35 AMG in Denim Blue, it almost looked like a regular GLA until I went close to it. It what this fact that I liked a lot about the 35, without being flashy it can pass off as a regular GLA but one drive in it and the performance figures will bring up the reality. Today the 35 AMG is retailing for 70Lakhs, I am waiting for some discounts to kick in and bring the price down to the earlier 60s and I will pick it up eyes closed! Currently I am looking at the X3 30i, GLC 200 and GLA 35 AMG as our next car, but the high prices and low discounts are a big turn off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You can say that again! Carwale.com shows me this . Obscene pricing for a hatchback'ish crossover. Worse still is it's missing features offered by 20-lakh cars.
Attachment 2174864
Sir, it has happened for the entire luxury market! Everything has increased by a good ₹20Lakhs.

For example, the GLC was earlier a 50-55L car, today after various price hikes it is a 70-75L car. GLC has taken the place of the previous Gen GLE which IIRC was available for 70-75L 2-3 years back!

Same is the case for the GLE and GLS, X3 and X5, 3 series and 5 series, A-Class and C-Class and many more!
CEF_Beasts is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 16:52   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
Great review and really good to see the in-depth comparison with the 1st Gen GLA in your video.
Thanks Shreyas for your appreciation.
Quote:
This is a good car with fantastic interiors that's priced too high. Also not a great thing to have a 1.3 litre petrol engine shared with Duster/Kicks.
Exactly hence I mentioned the same thing in the video, that thank God the test car I am driving is not the 1.3L Renault Turbo elz it would have been tough to talk about it.
Quote:
How would you rate this on everyday driving / comfort / ground clearance etc as a practical daily driver when compared to let's say the X1 or Q3?
Everything is practical about it to belong in that segment. Just that this segments pricing is not practical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Nice review and well written
Thanks !
Quote:
The GLA is undoubtedly the perfect daily car for our Indian driving conditions and makes it a very practical Mercedes. However the price will make sure it does not happen that way. At such price ranges people would want something more big to show for it and there lies the problem.
I Agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatin247 View Post
Great review @Karan561. Already saw the video on your channel.
Great to know that, Thanks !
Quote:
The car looks absolutely stunning compared to the 1st gen GLA which always gave the hatchback sort of feel.
Truly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Good review . GLA to me has always been a car for buyers who wanted a 3 point star and everything else is did not matter much. While car has improved, the price has been increased to whole new level. I will happily pick a 3 series or even older generation C class at these price. With new strategy for selling cars by MB and this kind of pricing is a perfect recipe for a flop model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Superb Review Karan, rated 5 stars!!
Thanks for the 5* Rating.
Quote:
Is it just me or anyone else liked the first gen GLA better, especially in the Red? It looked so much better and has a nice road presence. The new one, although inline with new Mercedes design language - feels a bit muted.
I don't know why you feel so, but in my opinion the new GLA is a much better proposition for the segment, specially with the new found space and fantastic Interiors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Does anyone know why something as basic as ultrasonic sensors have been missed?
I thought 2 sensors were made mandatory on all cars by the govt.
As the GLA has a rear camera for assistance probably it got away with not providing sensors under that rule/mandate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by romil.shroff View Post
Excellent review Karan! Rated it as 5 Star.
Thanks Romil for the 5 Star Rating.
Quote:
Following are few pointers from my end. Apologies, in advance, if these have already been covered in your review.
^ Great Points & observations, Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Classy and well detailed review and comparison with the old hatchback-y GLA, Sir! Saw your video of it as well.
Thanks, Glad you enjoyed the thread & the Video Review.
Quote:
Plus the front row seats in the new one have been placed on a mount liberating space for rear passengers to slide their feet below the front seats even in their lowest position.
Yes !
Quote:
What blew me away was the interior, boy ohh boy it felt like a very special place to be in along with the 64 colour ambient lighting.
Indeed.
Quote:
Today the 35 AMG is retailing for 70Lakhs, I am waiting for some discounts to kick in and bring the price down to the earlier 60s and I will pick it up eyes closed!
All the best

Last edited by karan561 : 7th July 2021 at 16:54.
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 19:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I don't know why you feel so, but in my opinion the new GLA is a much better proposition for the segment, specially with the new found space and fantastic Interiors.
The car in isolation is good. But X1 is selling for almost 45-46L, which is GLA's primary competitor. The GLA also looks lot more hatchback than crossover(My personal rant). The petrol engine is a poor choice, while diesel is good. But when you see 60L price tag for diesel here in KA, other than emblem, everything else if very difficult to digest.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 10:57   #15
BHPian

Excellent video review Karan, always look forward to them.
The new GLA solves so much from the outgoing car and is such an improvement to even look at alone. However, Mercedes seems to be going one segment up with their pricing across their lineups - for eg. the top spec E350d touches 99 Lakhs OTR Mumbai while the 530d M Sport is still somewhere in the 80s. I can't exactly understand what makes them confident of the liberty to increase prices to such tunes. The GLA is a strong package with a phenomenal leap in the amount of features and dynamics but what would make it even stronger would be on par pricing with the segment, because close to 60 Lakhs for what's ideally an entry level luxury segment car, I can't come to terms with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romil.shroff View Post
7) The front seats are equipped with memory functions but they're skipped in GLA's elder siblings, GLC and GLE (300d).

8) GLA gets the front camera but GLE (300d) doesn't.
My personal belief still stands at the GLC being yet a generation older than today's Mercs. It still follows the feature omission pattern from the W205 where there was no memory seats across all variants. More on the GLE, the 300d is strictly a base variant GLE with features amiss Left right and centre, can't say I'm surprised that it lacks features as compared to this GLA Top spec variant.
Arnav612 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed