Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2016, 09:31   #1
BHPian

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport

What I Liked:
  • Sporty Looks, in my view the best looking Compact Luxury SUV in its class
  • Spacious, Good Quality interiors with a fresh and smart design
  • Feature rich compared to others in class, super cool i-Drive system with touch controller that is intuitive and easy to use
  • Larger 22.3cm (1280X480 resolution) screen with split screen functionality and Navigation maps
  • Sport seats with better thigh support in Dakota Leather, M Sport steering wheel that looks sporty
  • Head-up display that is impressive with clear information on the windscreen
  • Good performance of the 2L engine with good handling (thanks to M Sport suspension)
  • Spare Tyre in a separate recess leading to a spacious usable 505L Boot
What I did not like:
  • Lack of reverse camera and cruise control - Even sub Rs 10L vehicles have these
  • Excessive Tyre noise on rough patches of road due to the Run Flat Bridgestone Tyres
  • Slightly intrusive ride quality on sharp edges especially in Sports and Eco Pro modes
  • Lack of electric switch for Boot closure in the Boot lid
  • Lack of color options in M Sport - Could not get the Color option that I initially wanted including Mocha Interiors
  • M Sport is pretty expensive and over Rs 5L more than the X Drive
It all started with an informal visit to the BMW showroom sometime in April this year. I was looking for an opportunity to upgrade from my Maruti Possessions to something more desirable. I had decided that it would be an SUV for me since I had an experience with a hatch, Sedan and an MPV earlier. I was then smitten by the X3 and X5. Both these were however quite expensive and beyond my reach.My search now intensified and I started evaluating other brands as well; Land Rover, Audi along with BMW. It was also the time when X1 was about to launch in the market. I again made a visit to Navnit Motors towards end of April and this time there was X1 displayed in the showroom. Everyone in the family immediately bought in to the looks of the X1. X3 was a also something that was always in my mind and I asked for a TD of X3 (at that time X1 TD vehicle was yet to arrive at the showroom). The Sales Executive brought the X3 for a TD and I took a spin of the same for almost 10-15KM. I loved the interior space, the features. The drive was well sorted and the engine performance was adequate with minimal vibration and harshness. Road noise was well insulated. The handling was precise and ride a bit stiff especially on sharp edges. overall I loved the TD experience. The version I test drove was the X Drive 20D X line. The on road price was close to 69L, but the dealer was willing to offer close to Rs 6L discount. Yet it was beyond my budget that I had set out initially.

I then decided to TD the Range Rover Evoque. This was driven purely by the looks. The vehicle is a beauty easily the best looking SUV across all brands in my books. I did a TD of the HSE version. I loved the interiors, the features and the drive as well. The engine was a little more loud compared to the X3. There was a turbo lag upto around 1.5K rpm and post that the vehicle just surged ahead. Interior space was less compared to X3 (Later realized was less than even the X1). Leg room was a premium at the rear and seating a 3rd person in the back row was a problem with the prominent Transmission Tunnel. While all of this was ok, the price was extremely high. The mid HSE was almost Rs71L on road in Bangalore. I decided that this was not the one for me. My next visit was to the Audi Showroom, basically to check the Q3. I had already been driven in a Q3 of my friend. I loved the interior quality and features, but was always unsatisfied with its external looks and interior space. I also felt it expensive compared to the features and space it offered.

Finally I got the opportunity to TD the X1 when the Sales Executive mentioned that the vehicle was available for TD at the showroom. I actually did a couple of TD on X1. The first was within city limits for almost 20Kms. I instantly liked the interiors and the space. The version I test drove was the X drive X-line. The drive was pretty decent though could not test all the aspects like ride and handling since there was a lot of traffic. To ascertain all these, I took a spin on the Nice express way. This was a longer drive for almost 30KMs. I got to test the 3 modes, eco pro, Comfort and Sport modes. While the comfort mode provides the best of both worlds, ride and Handling, the Sport mode really put a smile on my face with the engine RPM surging and vehicle lunging forward. I also liked the way the vehicle picked up speeds without too much effort and strain on the engine. It was on the nice express way that I really felt excessive road noise in certain patches. The SE attributed this to the Run Flat tyres. Ride was intrusive and one could feel the thud effect on sharp edges the same getting aggravated in Eco pro and Sports mode.

I then compared all my drives and the price and was now more or less certain that it was X1 for me. I was however not sure if I should go for the Xline or the M Sport. What tilted the decision in favor of M Sport was: the Sporty M Sport Steering, the larger Screen with Navigation Maps, pure leather seats with additional adjustable thigh support and most importantly the head up display. I knew that additional Rs 5.5L was a little too much for these features, but decided to go ahead and book the MSport in Mediterranean blue because I saw a clear value in those additional features. I paid a booking amount of Rs 2L and the SE mentioned it would take about 2 to 3 weeks for my vehicle to be delivered as he had a confirmation from the factory that the production of my vehicle would start in a couple of days. Post this was when the experience got a little sour. 2 weeks from my booking I did not hear any information from the dealer. I called up the SE and asked for the status. This was when I realized that the MSport was only available in 2 colors - Estoril Blue and Mineral White. I was really enraged and asked the dealer why this was not mentioned to me earlier . He said that they were unaware of this and BMW subsequently said that in India M Sport was being manufactured only in Mineral White and Estoril Blue. I initially decided to cancel my booking and then stretch to X3. However, the fact that X3 was now in the final stages of its version and a new one was in the pipeline made me think again. Moreover X1 was as spacious as X3 at just about 75% of X3 price and had a lot of additional features not present in X3. I then looked at a lot of video reviews of X1 and assuaged myself that Mineral White Msport was also a good option.

I decided to negotiate for discounts with the dealer for this mess. Finally managed to get close to Rs 1L discount and Floor Mats as complimentary with the Vehicle. The final On road price came to Rs 51.5L inclusive of the Rs 1L discount (The break up of Bangalore price on road is: Ex showroom - Rs 41.71 L + Road Tax Rs 8.33L+Handling Charges Rs 45K+ Com Insurance Rs 2.07L = Rs 52.58L). Post this, in a matter of 10 days, the SE called me informing that my vehicle had arrived. I made a visit to the Yard the same day and managed to complete a thorough PDI and satisfied myself of the vehicle's condition and paid the balance of the down payment. The vehicle was manufactured in June and only 3Kms done on the odometer. I also noted the Chassis and engine number and asked the dealer to go ahead with the registration. The SE mentioned I could take delivery in a couple of day's time. Finally the day arrived and went to the dealer with my family to take delivery. There were a couple of more deliveries happening when I was there (a 320d and a GT). The SE brought the vehicle in clean and shining condition. My family instantly liked the Mineral White color. The only disappointment was that the interiors were in Canberra beige, while we wanted Mocha brown. However, the beige gives a sense of space which was a saving grace. We then completed the necessary formalities (the SE explained all the features and functionalities) and left the showroom straight to the temple to get the Puja done, post which we drove home

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-front-view-1.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0372.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5150.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5190.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5148.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5194.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 25th July 2016 at 07:27.
nurni76 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 18:06   #2
BHPian

re: A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport

First Impression is the best Impression - Exteriors
This is the second-generation BMW X1 that was launched in India at the 2016 Auto Expo. This version is the first of the BMW SUVs built on the front-wheel-drive ‘UKL’ platform to come to India (Based on the Mini). As a result of this design, the bonnet length has reduced from the long nose of the earlier X1 to a more proportionate design as the engine now sits transversely, liberating more space and giving a more cab-forward look. The new X1 is slightly shorter in length but is also taller and the proportions are a whole lot nicer now compared to the earlier X1. It now looks more an SUV from every angle and infact is taller than the German duo of Q3 and GLA. The front view is a typical BMW with that twin kidney grills and a sporty looking front bumper. The M Sport differs from the Xline in the Kidney grills being in glossy black compared to the chrome look in Xdrive Xline. The bumper design too is different with more pronounced black inserts in the Xline compared to the Msport. The front also has the LED headlights with those trademark LED rings. There is also the LED light that sits above the 2 rings which give it an eyebrow effect.

The exteriors also have the M badging on the flanks and smart 18-inch wheels in grey also with the M badging insert on the alloy. The grey alloy is easily the best looking alloy among the entire range of X1 variants. At the sides, the X1 looks larger than the previous X1 with mildly flared wheel arches and a strong belt line. The wheel arches in the Msport carry the same color as the body unlike the black in the lower versions. I prefer this to the black look, though I am considering a black body skirt (M Accessory) soon. The rear 3/4ths is where the X1 really exudes class with the sloping rear windscreen giving it a slightly butch and modern SUV look. The tail lights flank on either sides and their LED elements look impressive at night.

Viewed from a slight distance, one could mistake it to an X5 that is shrunken in size, which in my view is a good thing. I still believe the X5 is easily the best looking SUV in its class. The bonnet has 2 sharp creases on either sides giving it a slightly butch appearance when viewed head on. The roof rails in Msport are again finished in glossy black and the shark fin antenna at the rear completes the sharp rear stance of the SUV. The rear bumper has a black glossy diffuser, from which stand out the dual exhaust pipes in chrome giving it a mean look from the rear. While the car misses out on a reverse camera, it does have reverse parking sensors (4 of them) that are neatly integrated into the rear Bumper. The rear spoiler blends seamlessly to the rear roof (slanting downwards) giving it a sporty look when in motion and viewed from behind. The sides are standard BMW, more simple and sharp than trying to pretend to be an SUV with those sharp creases and flares seen on more wannabe SUVs. The doors are wide and door handles are of pull type with LED illuminations at the handle as well as below the door (puddle lamp). These look bright and impressive at night. The rear windscreen has a single wiper and an electrically operated demister that is impregnated on the screen.

At the front doors stick out two ORVMs that have an electric folding operated by a switch near the inside of the door handle with an automatic anti dazzle and parking function. While the 2 mirrors provide decent visibility of the rear, they are a size smaller compared to my Ertiga or Sx4. The mirrors are also electrically adjustable from inside. These mirrors however don't auto fold on parking and one needs to manually use the button to do the same. Personally I feel an auto fold option would have been a better feature to have. However, you do have an option to fold the mirrors from outside with the help of the Key fob. Long press the lock button and the 2 mirrors fold inside. When you press the unlock button, the mirrors open up; a nice feature indeed as you may forget to fold the mirrors from inside and the key fob helps you do this once you are outside the car.

The rear Boot lid can be opened from the outside with a small effort by pressing the button above the license plate. It opens up till the top and liberates a huge amount of space in the boot (505L). Loading lip is quite low and hence easy to lift heavy luggage and load into the low floor. However, the boot lid misses out on the electric button to lock the boot and one needs to manually lock and unlock the same. You do have an option of unlocking the boot using the key fob, but the boot lid does not open up. I guess this has been done deliberately for Indian market, since an-auto opening boot lid may not be good from a safety perspective.The tires in the X1 are Bridgestone Turanza of size 225/50R18. The spare tire is Hankook of size 135/90R18 which is seriously under tired.

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5169.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0374.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0401.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5288.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5291.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5303-2.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5301.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5287.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5290.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0398.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0405.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 25th July 2016 at 07:24. Reason: Correcting image orientation
nurni76 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 12:43   #3
BHPian

Comfort, Space and Features - The Crux of the Matter - Interiors:
Step into the X1 and you are greeted to an extremely well appointed interiors that exudes high quality with soft touch plastics all around. There are very few areas having hard plastics - the door pocket area and the seat back of the front seats being 2 such areas that stick out like a sore thumb. Every other part on the inside is really of good quality material along with a modern BMWish design. The interior layout of the dashboard is very similar to the X5 which gives it a modern sporty look. The dash is typical BMW which means you get a clean, uncluttered layout that is ergonomically optimal. The entire layout and interior quality is a sea change for me, with my only experience of interiors thus far being that of a Maruti. The quality of build is impeccable with very tight shut lines, solid creases, good quality material and minute attention to detail. The upper half of the dashboard is all black, while lower half, including the area around the Gear lever is of Canberra Beige with premium white stitching for the leather material. The beige gives a great sense of space, but will be a dirt magnet and needs proper cleaning and caring on a frequent basis.

The seats are a little small for large sized adults, but for me they are quite comfortable (I am 5 Ft 10 "). The seating position is quite high and you get a good visibility of the road. Of course you have the option of a 8 way electrically adjustable seats that also has 2 memory functions for the driver. You can adjust the seat for vertical position, horizontal movement, adjust the back rest angle and also get the seats to hug the driver in case you opt for spirited driving. The passenger has electrically adjustable seats as well without memory function. The ORVMs can also be adjusted electrically using a button at the driver side door handle. This position also gets fed into the memory function, i.e. you can save the seating position and the ORVM position into the memory. The M Sport has sporty Dakota leather with perforations in Canberra Beige seats, that has an additional mechanically adjustable thigh support. This can be adjusted with a small lever in front and I found this comfortable in long drives. In addition to the seat adjustment, the car provides both reach and rake adjustment for the steering that helps reach an optimal driving position.

The best part of the interior is the M Sport Steering wheel with paddle shifters. The three-spoke steering wheel adds a great deal of sportiness to the car while also being solid and chunky to hold with place to rest the 2 thumbs. Again the leather wrapped steering oozes quality with Nappa Leather and black stitching, while the M badging at the bottom of the wheel shouts of the sporty character. The steering wheel has multi-function controls on either sides. On the right you have the blue tooth telephony switch to make or receive calls on your phone, the volume buttons for the music system, BMWs Voice command button, mode button to flip from the Radio to an external device and a rolling button to flip channels or songs. While the car lacks a cruise control, on the left side it has a switch to set a speed limit and the vehicle can be kept to operate below that speed. The same can be reset using the same switch or by flooring the accelerator pedal. The Steering can be adjusted for reach and rake using a mechanical lever to the left that helps get an optimal position.

Speaking of equipment, the M Sport also gets a panoramic sunroof, head-up display and a high-res 8.8-inch display for the i-Drive infotainment system. The lower version xLine trims get a smaller 6.5-inch screen for the i-Drive system. However what is clearly a miss is that there is no reverse camera. The rear window is small and getting a good visibility of the road while reversing is difficult and a camera with rear view would have been ideal. The X1 however has a park distance control rear that allows for easy parking. Acoustic signals and a visual indicator in the control display tells when the rear of the vehicle is approaching an object using sensors located in the rear bumper. The X1 has a full panoramic Sun roof that is extremely easy to use and provides a very nice green house effect. On pressing the button near the front door lamp, the screen opens up full till the back seat and shows up the glass on the roof providing good sunlight into the cabin. The Head up display is a very neat feature that helps the driver concentrate on the road and yet get key information like Navigation (Locations, distance to destination, Speed of vehicle, Music system channels etc). The display can be de-activated by using the I drive controller. The other differentiating feature of the M Sport is the larger screen that has the capability of split screen. This is extremely useful as one need not look at the MID on the instrument cluster for these information. Also the split screen provides multiple combination of options across the left and right areas of the screen increasing the user friendliness quotient of the car.

Space in the X1 is its biggest USP and you will be greeted to a wide and large cabin as soon as you step in. The space in the rear is more comfortable compared to my SX4 and as much as my Ertiga. Setting the front seats to my optimal position (I am 5ft10"), a six footer can comfortably sit in the rear. There is a lot of legroom for the rear passengers. However, the seats could have had a little more of under thigh support in the rear. For the driver and passenger, there is the extra support for the under thigh. Seats are a little on the firm side hence comfortable in longer rides and the rear is decent for 3 adults to sit. The central passenger will have some discomfort due to the transmission tunnel, but not as much as in an X3. In terms of storage space, there is ample space to store bottles and other items. The front and rear doors have bottle holder for 1 liter bottles. There is a hand rest for the driver that has 2 layer space to store stuff. The bottom layer is the place with the USB drive port as well as the charging point. In addition you have a cup holder near the gear lever that also has an ash tray. The glove box on the left is quite spacious with a light to provide extra visibility at night. In the rear, you have an arm rest that has a couple of coffee cup holders and a space to keep other stuff by flipping open the hand rest lid. You also have rear AC bents with 2 louvers to keep the rear passengers comfortable. The speed of the air can be controlled by a regulator. The other cool feature of the car is the ability to slide the rear seats ahead and behind (mechanical fore-and-aft adjustment by 130mm) and recline the back rest as well. This again helps get a little more comfortable at the rear or provide for more space in the boot.

The biggest space of course is in the Boot. It is a cavernous 505L boot that has a low loading lip to easily load into it large amount of luggage. In case you have to receive a family that is coming from the US, you will have no problems as the BMW will easily accommodate 3 to 4 large suitcases along with small bags that you can keep in the upper part of the boot. You also have the option of flipping the rear seats that fold neatly to liberate more space should have want to load more stuff into the car. The operation of folding the seats is very simple. You just need to pull the 2 buttons inside the boot on either sides and the seats automatically fold down. You can then bring the seat rests backs by pulling a string inside the car near the seats and pushing the back rest to the desired position. You also have a lower level in the boot which can be used to keep some stuff close to the spare wheel. There is also a charging point in the boot and a net to store some stuff on the side. However, the trunk lid cannot be operated electrically which is something that I miss.

The list of features is quite long with the most important aspect being the i-Drive. The screen on the dashboard shows up the various options that can be controlled and operated using the i-Drive knob. You can turn left or right, front or back and rotate the know to move from one menu to the other. Pressing the knob helps you choose the relevant menu. The various functions available in the i-Drive include Radio, Multimedia (external drives that can be connected), Telephone (which helps you make or receive calls on the go once you pair the phone), Contacts (that helps you store the contacts from the phone), Navigation (choose the destination you want to go to and the maps helps you with visual as well audio options, including interactive maps and also ability to input latitude and longitude for the locations, option to get access to points of interest like restaurants, places of interest etc that help you add destination locations easily), Vehicle information (Provides information of the vehicle like the next service when due etc), Connected Drive, Settings (This helps you do multiple things like adjust the ambient light - you can switch between orange or white, switch off the heads up display and so on). The i-Drive control knob also has touch controller enabling you to enter address of a destination in your handwriting on its touch-sensitive surface. In addition, you have a music system which is from Harman Kardon which is a Hifi loud-speaker with 7 speakers and an output of 205w. While I am not an audiophile, I did enjoy the music quality and clarity. The 7 speakers are located as follows: 1 above on the front dashboard, 2 in the front doors, 2 in the rear doors and 2 below the front seats. I am yet to explore all the settings of the music system and will update the thread as and when I do so. The vehicle also comes with automatic rain sensing wipers that works well. The adjustment of the same is in the right side wiper stalk where you need to depress the button to auto mode. You can also set multiple speeds for the wiper in the auto mode. Depending on the amount of rain, the wipers move with the required speed. You also have the auto headlight function that can be operated by setting the headlight switch to the extreme left. It senses the external lighting and accordingly sets the intensity of the headlight (another cool feature). You have the option of front and rear fog lights that can be switched on using the buttons below the headlight switch knob.

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5296.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5297.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5299.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5298.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0378.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0379.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0416.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0383.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0392.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0393.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0394.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0404.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0408.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0410.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0411.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0412.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0413.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0414.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0418.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0423.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5276.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5277.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5281-2.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5279.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 25th July 2016 at 07:26. Reason: Inserting images
nurni76 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 18:44   #4
BHPian

Engine, Performance, Handling, Ride and Safety - The real deal:
The X1 in India is only available in the Diesel spec with the known and proven 2L engine. This is the new BMW TwinPower Turbo 4-cylinder engine that produces 190HP of peak Power at 4000 RPM and a strong peak 400NM of torque between 1750-2500 RPM. The claimed Top Speed by BMW is 219Kmph and 0-100 Kmph in 7.6s. Of course I have not been able to test either and definitely don't intend to do the same. You start the engine by depressing the Brake and pressing the engine/start stop button and the engine growls to life. At idle there is minimal noise and the engine feels well refined. The Transmission is an all new 8 Speed AISIN instead of the usual ZF gear box of the other BMWs. The 8 Speed Step-tronic sports transmission has the paddle shifters as well as the manual shift as part of the gear lever. The manual says the vehicle is equipped with Launch control, though I have not yet figured if this is true and if so how to activate the same. The transmission is different due to the new front wheel drive mechanism which shows up in the gear shift lever which is longer than the normal joy stick like ones on the 3 and 5 Series or the X3/X5. I really miss the joy stick mechanism; while the X1 lever is longer, it is easy to use and one can effortlessly move into D,N,P or R modes. It is just that it doesn't give that feeling of plushness that you get with the Joy stick mechanism in the other Bimmers. You also have the parking brake button that helps you prevent the vehicle from rolling back or ahead in slopes. The Start/Stop button also has a small button adjacent to it that helps deactivate/activate the engine start stop function. The same helps switch off the engine when the vehicle comes to a halt at signals and helps reduce fuel consumption. This works only when the vehicle's break is in depressed position. The moment the break is released, the engine comes back to life. You can switch off the function using the button adjacent to the start/stop button.

Start the engine and put the gear into D position and release the break and the vehicle gradually moves ahead. One does not hear too much of noise other than a mild growl. Engine is refined and as you step up the accelerator, the growl becomes a little more audible but nothing too intrusive. When you start the engine, the vehicle gets into the comfort mode as default. This is the ideal mode for city driving. The steering wheel feels relatively loose and easy to maneuver in the traffic. While it does give good feedback from the road, for real spirited driving, one needs to get into the Sports mode. The comfort mode provides a decent acceleration while there is a mild amount of lag till around 1500 rpm. Post that, the engine surges ahead pushing you back to the seat back and accelerates rapidly. I have not taken the vehicle beyond 100 Kmph consistently and only once touched highway speeds. The engine is around 2K RPM at speeds of around 120KMPH. I just love the way the engine accelerates and this puts a smile on my face as I drive on highways. You can also change the mode to eco pro mode by switching the eco button. You get an indication on the speedo where the color changes to blue. Also the MID indicates Eco pro mode as does the i-drive screen. You instantly feel the turbo lag in this mode. The engine takes some time to respond to throttle inputs. Clearly this is a mode for the people who like to save on fuel consumption. I felt the steering also quite loose and helps make sharp turns in the city quite easily. Overall, in both the Comfort and Eco Modes, the steering is easy to use, though the feedback is not as good as in the Sports mode. You notice a change as soon as you slot the car into the Sports mode. The steering feels a lot more taut and the engine response is super quick. It gives an instant surge of power, which if not managed properly could cause issues in city limits. There is a continuous surge in power across the RPM range and the steering feels taut with great feedback from the road. If you want to drive hard on open highways, this is the mode for you. I have not extensively used this mode, as I have had a limited opportunity to do long drives in open stretches. The gear shifts are pretty fast though not as sharp as what I could feel on the X3 or for that matter the Evoque. However, if you need that instantaneous surge, just use the paddle shifts or the manual mode on the gear lever. One can then just freely rev the engine, up-shift or downshift as required that helps you to make those quick over takes on clear stretches of the road.

In terms of Handling, the X1 is a joy to drive, especially in long windy curves. If you are in the Sports mode, the vehicles hugs the road while you turn and steering feedback is accurate giving you the confidence around corners. I can also say, with reasonable degree of conviction, that the X1 handling is almost on par with the X3 that I drove, if not better. The M Sport X-drive helps transfer as much power as required to the rear wheels, and helps maintain 50:50 balance in weight between front and rear. It is probably due to this that lane changing in highways is also not an issue and you are able to swerve with confidence. The confidence is lower when you are in eco pro or comfort modes. For me, this is easily the best handling car I have driven and I just love driving this on open stretches with winding curves in sports mode. The steering is not only pleasurable to hold, but also provides good feedback of the road and helps point the car in the right direction. Also corners are a breeze for the X1 without too much of lateral movements that disturb the passengers much. The engine does bunch its power post 2,000rpm but it is quick to rev thereon, right up to 5,000rpm. Switching the traction control off in Sport mode also allows you to so called slot into Sports + mode, though I have not tried the car too much in this mode. While the tires are pretty adequate, maybe 235 tires would have provided a little more grip around corners, but maybe that is asking for a little too much.

While the handling is a pleasure, the ride is a slightly weaker area for the Bimmer. Don't get me wrong here, the ride is on the soft side and relatively comfortable on normal stretches as well as roads with depressions, but where it gets a little disturbing is on sharp edges (iron bars that jut out of the roads on flyovers, concrete edges on roads etc). There is a thud effect on such sharp edges and you can feel the intrusions through the front wheels. The ride is definitely much better when you are in comfort mode, where the intrusion is much lesser, but the issue gets aggravated in Eco pro and Sports mode. The sharp edges intruding is also probably due to the Run flat tires that are inherently less comfortable compared to normal tubeless tires. In case of small depressions or even crater like broken roads, at low speeds the ride is pretty plush and there is minimal pitch and roll. Humps are also not a problem and the X1 is able to manage the large, unscrupulously built humps without scraping its under belly, thanks to the taut suspension, shorter wheel base. I have thus far not managed to get the under body scraped on any of the Bangalore humps. I have also not had any opportunity to do any kind of off-roading, to actually test the X drive. This is anyways not a car for serious off-roading with only 165mm of GC, as claimed by the BMW dealers (though international reviews suggest 183mm of GC). Some of the other features include Hill Descent control that I am yet to test. I am planning a long drive in the 2nd week of August when I will be able to post more details of the same.

The X1 comes with a host of safety features that makes it a safe car to drive. These include 6 airbags, Abs, traction control, Dynamic Stability control, hill descent control, cornering headlights, anti dazzle interior rear view mirror, side impact protection, cornering brake control, Electronic vehicle immobiliser and crash sensor, three-point seat belts at all seats,including pyrotechnic belt tensioners at front and belt force limiters at front and of-course the Head up display that helps you concentrate on the road. The other pleasant surprise on the BMW is also the fuel consumption. While I have not driven much (as I pen this review the X1 has just done close to 350 Kms), and mostly the drive has been in city limits, the on-board computer has been showing close to 12Kpml (The claimed ARAI fuel efficiency is 20.68 kmpl). While this may not seem much, the vehicle started the showroom with an average mileage of 5 Kmpl. This was because the vehicle was tested for 3 hrs with the engine running which would have negatively affected average fuel consumption. In my estimate, based on the starting mileage, the X1 must be giving close to 14Kmpl in city limits which is almost in line with my Ertiga. I will post an update on the actual fuel consumption using tankful method soon, but fuel efficiency does seem to be another feather in the cap for the X1.

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0384.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5316.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5317.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0383.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0396.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5319.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5321.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 25th July 2016 at 07:28.
nurni76 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 21:23   #5
BHPian

Smaller yet significant things and Some Random Shots:
  • There is storage space under the passenger seat in the front. A neat touch!
  • You also have a nice little slot beside the steering on the right side, just below the headlight knob to store coins, parking cards etc
  • Rear seat is 40:20:40 Split seat
  • The Key fob has some interesting functionalities - On long pressing the Lock button, the ORVMs fold inside. Once you press the unlock button, the doors unlock and the ORVMs also unfold. On long pressing the unlock button, the windows roll down and then the Panoramic room also opens up. All these close when the lock button is pressed on the key fob
  • There is a dead pedal located on the left side of the brake which is nice and comfortable to rest your left leg
  • There are 2 microphones on the inside of the roof for making or receiving calls, one on each side for the driver and the passenger
  • The fuel tank capacity is 61L. When the vehicle was delivered the dealership had added 20L of fuel.
  • The ideal air pressure for front and rear tires are 33 and 36 Psi respectively
  • There is a first aid box provided in the rear boot.
  • To open the bonnet, you need to pull the bonnet lever twice.
  • The M-Sport package includes M Sport Logo on either sides near the fender, MSport Suspension, M Logo on the Key fob, M Sport door sill finishers

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5318.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0387.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0389.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0391.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0419.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_0420.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5304.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5140.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5292.jpg

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-img_5293.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 25th July 2016 at 07:28.
nurni76 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 07:32   #6
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 25th July 2016, 09:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport

Let me be the first one to wish you loads of pleasant drives and happy moments with the car aka suv or whatever name that you wish to assign to this machine.

Very practical and lovely choice I must say !

Happy motoring and do share your first travelogue with this beautiful machine.

Cheers !
Old 25th July 2016, 10:49   #8
BHPian

nurni76 Congratulations mate on owning this beautiful machine. This is one beautiful SUV designed by BMW, and the efforts that they have put in designing one shows the way the car is proportionate in all angles. One thing that I noticed is that the gear knob is not the standard BMW affair here, a welcome change though, but doesn't it look more meaty then it should be? I would have preferred the standard design on gear knob here with Parking lever perched on top. Looks class in my personal opinion.

Do keep updating the thread, as this is one SUV that is in my radar to buy in few months. Will definitely keep a eye on the thread.
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 10:50   #9
BHPian

Congratulations on your white beauty! The ownership report is on par with, if not more, with the official Tbhp reviews, Really detailed. Seems like the X1 is quite well equipped, though as you mentioned, a reverse camera and cruise control would be sorely missed as you rack up more miles with her. Is it not available even as an optional extra? Some of the entry segment sedans have them (Yes, VW Ameo, you can stand up and take a bow) and I do not see why BMW couldn't have adapted their other models' reversing cam and the software for the cruise control, when they charge half a crore of your hard earned money for the car. Cost cutting? Really? Not on the M sport trim at least, come on, BMW. How much could it have cost you to peek over its big brother's (X5) shoulders and copy his notes for the reversing cam and the cruise control!

But, all in all, it's a well written review, and here me wishing you sheer driving pleasure with your car for many more years to come. Drive safe, belt up always.

Cheers.

Last edited by Doc_nikhil : 25th July 2016 at 10:53. Reason: Editing spelling
Old 25th July 2016, 11:08   #10
BHPian

Congrats on the car.
How the gearbox compared to the ZF unit ?
Those floor mats are a pain to maintain and aren't they given with the car from BMW and not complimentary!
How's it to drive compared to the old X1?
Rear View Camera and a lot of other stuff can be retrofitted!
Please go through various Bimmer Forums for an idea.
Once the mod bugs bite you, there's no going back at all.
True Story!
Nevertheless,Happy Motoroing.
Cheers
P.S we should have a Bimmer meet in Bangalore soon!

Last edited by #enzowho : 25th July 2016 at 11:11.
Old 25th July 2016, 11:31   #11
BHPian

Congratulations!! Your review is nicely written, crisp and detailed. I also like the new X1 very much. I would have bought it, if petrol is available. Hence, I chose 320i over this. I really like the Heads-up display in X1 and 320d M sport, which is missed in 320i. Enjoy your driving.
Old 25th July 2016, 14:13   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the first new X1 on the forum! Nice detailed review there

This new X1 is very different from the old one in a lot of ways and right now is the pick of the segment. I quite like the M Sport kit on it, esp the wheels. The new M sport steering wheel too looks lovely.

Does the M sport come with a stiffer suspension set up than the X Line? Run flat tires have evolved a lot. The Pirelli P7s on my X3 are quite brilliant and hardly feel harsh and are super silent. Try setting 30 to 32psi all round for city and you should see the ride improving.

And did you enquire about BSI packs? Navnit motors did not even bother to send me quote nor did they bother checking with me whether I am interested in buying when I bought my X3 from them. They sure are a weird lot.

Wish you a pleasant and enjoyable ownership experience.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 17:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! Great Review! I wish you many safe and enjoyable miles of motoring in your new car.

I saw the new X1 in a brilliant blue shade next to HSR vehicles and the new model has really grown up compared to the older version. Looks a lot more 'butch' now! I wish BMW would start putting larger diameter exhaust tips. The ones on the X1 and the 3-series look way too puny.
Old 25th July 2016, 17:40   #14
BHPian

That's an amazing car and amazing color...prefer it over the loud blue. How's the ground clearance compared to the Q3? Does the M come with any side skirts which may scrape?
Old 25th July 2016, 18:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Let me be the first one to wish you loads of pleasant drives and happy moments with the car aka suv or whatever name that you wish to assign to this machine.

Very practical and lovely choice I must say !

Happy motoring and do share your first travelogue with this beautiful machine.

Cheers !
Thanks i74js. I haven't thought of a name for this beauty yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
nurni76 Congratulations mate on owning this beautiful machine. This is one beautiful SUV designed by BMW, and the efforts that they have put in designing one shows the way the car is proportionate in all angles. One thing that I noticed is that the gear knob is not the standard BMW affair here, a welcome change though, but doesn't it look more meaty then it should be?

Do keep updating the thread, as this is one SUV that is in my radar to buy in few months. Will definitely keep a eye on the thread.
Thanks. Yes the gear lever is different from the usual Joy stick that you find in other BMWs since the transmission is AISIN and not the ZF unit that you find in the other Bimmers. It looks a little long for my liking and I would have preferred the joy stick, though mechanically it is quite easy to operate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
Congratulations on your white beauty! The ownership report is on par with, if not more, with the official Tbhp reviews, Really detailed. Seems like the X1 is quite well equipped, though as you mentioned, a reverse camera and cruise control would be sorely missed as you rack up more miles with her. Is it not available even as an optional extra?

But, all in all, it's a well written review, and here me wishing you sheer driving pleasure with your car for many more years to come. Drive safe, belt up always.

Cheers.
Thanks Doc. Appreciate your feedback. The X1 is a well equipped vehicle, but agree that reverse camera and cruise control should have been there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #enzowho View Post
Congrats on the car.
How the gearbox compared to the ZF unit ?
Those floor mats are a pain to maintain and aren't they given with the car from BMW and not complimentary!
How's it to drive compared to the old X1?
Rear View Camera and a lot of other stuff can be retrofitted!
Please go through various Bimmer Forums for an idea.
Once the mod bugs bite you, there's no going back at all.
True Story!
Nevertheless,Happy Motoroing.
Cheers
P.S we should have a Bimmer meet in Bangalore soon!
Thanks! The gear box in terms of operation is slick, I did not find a significant difference between this and the X3 which I drove (has the ZF unit). I haven't driven the old X1 and hence wouldn't be able to compare the two.

Yes these floor mats are BMW ones. I am yet to get the complimentary ones from the dealer. Should be getting them in a week's time. Yes mods are something on my mind, but not any time soon. Would love to have Bimmer meet in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstlndrive View Post
Congratulations!! Your review is nicely written, crisp and detailed. I also like the new X1 very much. I would have bought it, if petrol is available. Hence, I chose 320i over this. I really like the Heads-up display in X1 and 320d M sport, which is missed in 320i. Enjoy your driving.
Thanks! The Head-up display is one key reason why I went for the M-Sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Congratulations on the first new X1 on the forum! Nice detailed review there

This new X1 is very different from the old one in a lot of ways and right now is the pick of the segment. I quite like the M Sport kit on it, esp the wheels. The new M sport steering wheel too looks lovely.

Does the M sport come with a stiffer suspension set up than the X Line? Run flat tires have evolved a lot. The Pirelli P7s on my X3 are quite brilliant and hardly feel harsh and are super silent. Try setting 30 to 32psi all round for city and you should see the ride improving.

Wish you a pleasant and enjoyable ownership experience.
Thanks Santosh! Yes the M-sport comes with the stiffer M Suspension and you can feel the same on sharp edges

Will take your suggestion on tire pressure and see if it makes a difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
That's an amazing car and amazing color...prefer it over the loud blue. How's the ground clearance compared to the Q3? Does the M come with any side skirts which may scrape?
GC as claimed by the dealer is 165 mm compared to the 170 mm on Q3. However, have not faced any issues thus far wrt to humps, guess the stiffer suspension and shorter wheel base also help

Last edited by nurni76 : 25th July 2016 at 18:34.

Most Viewed