Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 19:15   #16
BHPian

Re: Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road

@ addyhemmige,
Boy! I have 12GB of Snaps clicked, wait let the Travel begin.
Old 28th April 2011, 19:32   #17
BHPian

Sree70 - Congratulations for the successful completion of your dream run in your Uber cool i20. I know how cool you must have felt driving in Bhutan in your KA - reg i20.

Respect your efforts a lot man.Just a humble request.Please dont keep us waiting for the full the report.
Old 28th April 2011, 20:05   #18
BHPian

Sree, you are a demigod to a lot of us who love to drive, but cant win over the fear demons of long distance drives..
You are doing a yoeman's service in inspiring us that with proper perseverance, planning and focussed efforts a lot of things are possible.
You are a hero already though a lot of you is yet untold.. Looking forward to hearing from you.. Please do dish out your episodes at a pace we gobble them.. and that is RAPIDFIRE!! :-) Cheers...
Old 28th April 2011, 21:42   #19
BHPian

Guys, Thanks for the appreciation and I will try to post the things Quicker.
contd.,
7) Entertainment & Gadgets:
Ipod,
Cameras - Canon DSLR 550D with 17-40MM wide angle Lens & 70-300 Sigma Zoom Lens, Tripod & extra memory Cards.
Sony pick & Shoot camera with extra memory card.
Mobile Phones
Map my India - GPS Navigator
BPCL- Petro Card with RS.10K loaded
Credit & Debit Cards.

It took at least a week to arrange & pack the above things.
Most of the times we forget to the take things which we need the most.
Here we could not do this, Wifey & Son took utmost care for packing & assuring all the above items were loaded in the car.

The last few days before the D Day were running very fast, I had to clear all my professional work backlogs.
The night before was too difficult to get in sleep Mode.

Finally on 29th September2010 @ 2-08PM with my car Odometer reading @ 18117KMS pushed the accelerator pedal to the Looooong drive.

Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-dsc05497.jpg

Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-dsc05498.jpg

Leaving back the Home Town Roads
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-_mg_4872.jpg

Regards
Sree
Old 29th April 2011, 13:37   #20
BHPian

Hi Sree,

This is really exciting. Good to see a REAL ROAD TRIP after a long time and that too with Family. I am really looking forward to this one. Bring it on.
Old 29th April 2011, 14:31   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree70 View Post

Finally on 29th September2010 @ 2-08PM with my car Odometer reading @ 18117KMS pushed the accelerator pedal to the Looooong drive.

That will surely be a moment to remember!

So Far the travelogue with the glimpses on the collage are extremely appealing.

Glued in and subscribed. Will look forward to read your excellent and exciting expedition.

Cheers!!!
Old 29th April 2011, 17:15   #22
BHPian

So after 18K kms, a break liner change and off you go.
Eagerly waiting for your next installment and the i20 report, I am sure your travelogue will boost my spirits for a long cherished marathon drive on my i20.

If I am not wrong this is going to be the first i20 travelogue on the forum.
Old 29th April 2011, 21:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely fantastic Sree! Great going. I am all excited about your extra long road trip. It would have been a great feeling to see your KA registered i20 amidst mountains in Bhutan. Bring the pics on, eagerly awaiting to feast our eyes on it!
Old 29th April 2011, 21:50   #24
BHPian

BOYS,
BORED
OF
STORIES!!!!!

WATCH
THE
MOVE!!!!!

GRAND HIGHWAY = SMOOTH ROAD = SO EASY
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-img_4874.jpg

NIGHT DINNER @ GHAR DHABHA BEFORE VIZAG CITY
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-_mg_4902.jpg

SURYANARAYANA TEMPLE @ SRIKAKULAM
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-dsc05504.jpg
SRIKURMAM TEMPLE @ SRIKAKULAM
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-dsc05511.jpg

GOLDEN NH5 (a part of Quadrilateral)
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-_mg_4923.jpg
WELCOME SHOWERS OF ORISSA
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-_mg_4929.jpg

UNUSED ORISSA BORDER CHECK POST

Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-_mg_4930.jpg

LOTS OF DEVELOPMENT AFTER ORISSA CHECK POST
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-dsc05526.jpg

NO HIGHWAY RULES
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-_mg_4936.jpg

NEWLY LAID BLACK CARPET
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-_mg_4946.jpg

I20 IN FRONT OF CHILIKA LAKE
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-_mg_4947.jpg

>km TRAFFIC JAM BEFORE WEST BENGAL BORDER CHECK POST
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-_mg_4986.jpg

U HAVE TO SNEAK THROUGH GIANTS TO COME OUT OF THE MESS
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-dsc05555.jpg

WB CHECK POST
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-dsc05559.jpg
JUST A CLICK ON THE WAY
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-dsc05540.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHY WHILE SPEEDING>100
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-dsc05545.jpg

A WHITE MANSION IN LUSH GREEN
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-dsc05553.jpg

A PROCESSION PARTY FOR OCT 2ND JAYANTHI
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-_mg_5002.jpg

U CAN ALSO SLEEP ON NH60
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-dsc05592.jpg

VIDYASAGAR SETU WELCOMING US TO KOLKATA

Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-_mg_5007.jpg
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-_mg_5011.jpg

LANE DISCIPLINE OH!! KOLKATA
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-_mg_5019.jpgregards
Sree

Last edited by sree70 : 29th April 2011 at 21:56.
Old 29th April 2011, 22:56   #25
BHPian

Sree, Totally glued to this thread. Hats off to you!
Old 30th April 2011, 21:39   #26
BHPian

Wonderful thread.. I would be following it every hour over the weekend..
Hope to see you in Bhutan before I start the week on Monday..
Old 2nd May 2011, 07:39   #27
BHPian

Contd.,
PHASE-I Journey from BANGALAORE TO KOLKATA
DAY.1

Set My GPS Navigator to Kolkata & had drive through NH5. Left Bangy @ 2-08pm and reached Tirupathi Allipiri gate(down Hill) @ 7-45pm with all the Bangalore Traffic, NH4 Diversions & few Pit Stops.
Enquired the security personal about the scenario of the crowd and the time required for Lord Balaji's Darshan on Top Hill. The reply was +ve & could be done in 1~1.5hrs. On the spot decided to seek lord's divine blessings and drove uphill. Parked the car in TTD's guest house opposite to Vaikuntam 'Q' complex II where the tickets for Seeghra Darshnam(RS.300/-) are issued. Joined the thin crowd line and entered the Temple. Came out of the temple after satisfying Darshan & blessings of the Divine @10-00pm. Didn't waste time in searching for accommodation on Tirumala(Top hill), so drove back to Down hill where Hotels are available in plenty.
Checked in @ Balaji's Residency recently opened after being satisfied with the room conditions & Parking facilities. Gobbled up Hot dinner in a nearby Hotel and retired to Bed to get a Good refreshing sleep. ZZZZZZZ
TOTAL DRIVEN DISTANCE: 302.00KMS
TOTAL DRIVEN TIME: 6Hrs 20Mins
Tariff for Accommodation: Balaji Residency/
double Bed Room -Non/Ac Rs.580-00 with charges for Extra person

DAY.2
After refreshing sleep & completing the Morning rituals checked out of theroom. Had South Indian b/f @ Mayura A/C restaurant opp to Tirupathi Bus Station, the food Yummy & Expensive. We had heavy filling as if we don't get them for next 20days of life. To Catch NH5 drove through Renigunta, SriKalahasti and joined it after Naidupeta.
The 1st Sight of NH5 (part of Golden Quadrilateral) was enthrilling. The Black, Smooth, wide Highway with beautiful land scape along it gave an impression that the drive upto Kolkata would be smooth & Silky.
The Highway conditions made to push the Vehicle further & Zoomed on NH5 over a speed above 100+KMPH. Passed Nellore, Ongole and in Jantala before Guntur, refuelled I20. It was 1-00PM & lunch time. Enquired the Bunk guy for a Good lunch place nearby and he guided us to a local eatery (Aiyappa mess ) on Highway side. Had good Lunch but the ambience was very poor, better than a Highway Dhaba. Took rest under a huge tree for a while and continued the Journey on the empty NH5.
The reason behind very thin traffic on the day was Ayodhya issue verdict. There was heavy police security on all important junctions on NH5. Initially Wife was little worried & tense about any disturbances on the way but it passed of without any trouble.
Enjoying the landscaping around the NH5, I drove passed the towns along it. After passing Vijayawada & Rajamundary in the evening (6-30PM) had few snacks & Tea on the road side Hotel.
Then at 9-30 spotted a Ghar Dhaba after Tuni & 50KMs before Vishakapatnam. Stopped for the Refuel of I20 & Ourselves. Had Rotis / Curry & Veg Fried Rice. The Food was Okish & only served the purpose.
Left the place @ 10-10pm and reached sleeping Vizag city @11-25PM.
Asked the GPS Navigator for Accommodation on the Highway and it came out with a big list. Drove to the nearest one & Checked in @ Hotel Bhagiradh, New Colony, near Sri Kanya Theatre, opp to More Market.
Again got a newly built structure with secured car Parking.
At the end of the Day it was tiresome & Just jumped into the Bed to catch a Sound sleep.
TOTAL DRIVEN DISTANCE: 880.00KMS
TOTAL DRIVEN TIME: 12Hrs 30Mins
Tariff for Accommodation:
double Bed Room-Ac Rs.970-00 with charges for Extra person

to be Contd.,

Last edited by sree70 : 2nd May 2011 at 07:41.
sree70 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 08:38   #28
BHPian

Day.3
Previous Night before going into deep Sleep, had planned to start the next day's journey as early as possible (around 6.00Am). Due to various reasons it happened @7-30AM but we were fully refreshed.
At 7.30 Morning Vizag was still peaceful and not much traffic bizarre on the city roads.
After passing the out skirts of the city NH5 is real beauty with lots of greenery & Hills. The beautiful Landscapes & divine music from the car player refreshed us further more. The drive was smooth & Fast, the Highway was empty and as well as our tummies. Reached Srikakulam @ 9.00AM. The 105KMS drive from Vizag took 90Mins & none of us felt it.
Took a right turn on NH5 & Drove into Srikakulam Town and found out Hotel Nagavalli to be the best place for pet Pooja.
Had regional popular dish Pessarattu Upma ( Sooji Upma stuffed inside Green Gram Dosa ) served with 3 different type of Chutneys. Sipped Hot Hot Coffee.
My Wife had read about Temples in Srikakulam and was particular in visiting them. Even though I was not interested agreed to take her.
Set my GPS Navigator to Arasavalli Surya Narayana temple and it guided us very well. I was happy about its perfomance. Had blissful darshan of the Sun God temple and left to the other temple ( Sree Kurma Swamy Temple).
Here the GPS navigator failed & had to take the help of free human GPS.
The temple is only one of its kind which houses Sri Kurma- Turtle incarnation of Maha Vishnu. Also saw many Turtles in the pond & lake nearby the Temple premises. My son bought few handmade Turtles as a souvenir.
It was 11-30Am by then and had to trace back the NH5. Drove through Villages & enjoyed the rural beauty. The whole region was lush green with Paddy fields.

Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-_mg_4909.jpg

Joined the Highway & continued the drive till Icchapuram the border of AP & orrissa.
The 900+ KMS Journey on NH5 in AP ie, from Naidupeta to Icchapuram was really marvelous and non-tiresome. The highways was in its best costume, thin traffic, wide roads and the landscaping were pleasing to eyes.
The only draw back was the vehicles especially 2Wheelrs driving in the driving recklessly in the opposite direction without any fear of fast moving vehicles on the Highway. I think this happens in almost on all Highways in India.
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-_mg_4923.jpg

Heavy Post-Monsoon showers welcomed us to Orrissa.

to be Contd.,
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Awesome travelogue sir. I would have missed this, if i had not bumped you on the road today morning. Hats off to your courage.
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:00   #30
BHPian

Dear Sree,

Am planning the same trip this year in Sep/Oct as I just finished my Maha, Guj and Rajasthan sojourn in Mar 11 and just back from a weeks drive to Cuttack (Orissa) on 30 April. Your T'Log will be my guide for my upcoming journey to NE including Bhutan-thank you so much. Wll keep this T'Log for reference.

Jude

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks