Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2014, 00:50   #16
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Delhi Roadtrip in a new BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
First of all, congratulations!

Don't know about the first three questions but not having RC book is not an issue as long as you carry the original invoice, tax receipts and insurance, of course.

Have a safe trip!
Thanks bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
You can do the trip effortlessly, fantastic roads through out.

Mumbai - Thane - Surat - Ahmedabad - Vadodra - Himmatnagar - Baruch - Udaipur - Kishangarh - Jaipur - Delhi

Jaipur - Delhi is under road widening, but the roads were in decent condition.

You will have your Tax Challan indicating that tax was paid in Maharashtra. It shouldnt be problem.

Enjoy your drive !
Mine would be JH registration. I should get the tax receipt but not the other documents for the 10-15 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
No problems whatsoever,roads good all throughout,except NH8 Jaipur-Gurgaon which is under widening.Budget for approx 6hrs for this stretch

BOM-AMD:7hrs
AMD-UDP:4hrs
UDP-JAIPUR:6-7hrs

Well if you want to go as per the rules,then you cant drive out of the jurisdiction of your RTA with the temp Regn(assuming its a temp regn).The Temp Regn "as per rules" is only for the vehicle to go from the showroom to the RTA for registering (ofcourse this is open to various interpretations and arguments).So as such should not be a problem but if you are stopped then be ready to be read this rule to you and be prepared to part with some chai paani etc.

If its a permanent regn on the plate then you are good to go with no hassles whatsoever.
Mine would be a permanent JH number plate but all I'll get for RTO is tax receipt that's it so wasn't sure... Chai-paani is understandable

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Man what dates are you going? Can I join you from Vadodara onwards .

Coming to your question:

The roads are excellent till jaipur. You don't need to worry at all. Jaipur to Delhi is under construction and has regular diversions but these are well laid and the low GC will not give you any trouble. So go ahead and enjoy your drive. Remember to put the yellow sticker on the headlight for Gujarat State.
Haha most welcome! I'd do it around 23rd-24th Jan. Yellow sticker, hmmm. I always wondered what's that when I saw vehicles in Mumbai with the same. Used to think that the headlight has been replaced so it's some sort of tag
Old 10th January 2014, 01:35   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Haha most welcome! I'd do it around 23rd-24th Jan. Yellow sticker, hmmm. I always wondered what's that when I saw vehicles in Mumbai with the same. Used to think that the headlight has been replaced so it's some sort of tag
Oh. I am going to Delhi on 21st night. If you were going then would have surely joined. Anyways have a blast on the trip. The road between himmatnagar and udaipur has some lovely curves. You will love it.
Old 10th January 2014, 02:48   #18
BANNED

Quote:
3. How long would it take if I keep the run-in period in mind and drive at 80-100kmph with regular breaks?
When I bought a new car the sales guy asked me to idle the car for 10 minutes to "break-in" the engine and drive it like I stole it. I did just that. I came home and read the owners manual. Thankfully there was no mention of break in period. What does your owners manual say for break in period?

When test driving new cars, I always floor to whatever rpm till the sales guy gets uncomfortable. It would be totally weird if it had a conservative break in criteria, all the test drivers broke that criterion, and the guy who eventually ends up buying that car was trying to be very cautious. I never want to buy a car that has more than a few miles as the initial odometer reading.

People attribute modern machining techniques with much better tolerances to have eliminated the need for break-in periods. But, I would trust the owners manual more than anyone's word or advise.

Last edited by prasadee : 10th January 2014 at 02:59.
Old 10th January 2014, 06:13   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

The current ownership manual says that for the first 1500 miles you should not cross 3.5k rpm and use brakes judiciously and not be harsh on them. 3.5k rpm literally translates into 160 kmph approx with that fantastic gear box.
Old 10th January 2014, 10:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Hey folks! I'd be taking delivery of a new F30 320D from Mumbai in a couple of weeks. I need to take the car to Delhi after a week of use in Mumbai. For some reason, I don't wanna go the flat bed way. My queries;
Man, am I feeling jealous?

Mumbai-Delhi is the best 1,400 Km road stretch you will get anywhere in India (having done the route partially in Gujarat and Rajasthan). These stretches offer delectable drives even on a Nano let alone a BMW.

Had it been a run-in car, you would have ripped it (obviously with in speed limits ).
Old 10th January 2014, 11:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Please be very cautious for the first 500-700 km. You will have reduced braking and poor tire grip. The run flats take longer to achieve optimal grip. In a friend's BMW, I felt quite a big difference when I drove it when new and after a few hundred km. It felt even better after 3k km.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 11:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:

2. How bad are the roads?

4. I WONT be having the RC of the car as it usually takes a fortnight for the same but I can't postpone my trip as I have to attend a wedding of a relative.
If you are driving from Bombay to Delhi for the first time I would advise you to be careful on the Jai-Del stretch. It has some uneven patches but if you keep your eyes fixed on the road there should be no trouble. Also you should try to be on the Jai-Delhi highway before 2 pm as after that there can be an increase in traffic to the point of traffic jams.

Are you planning to stay somewhere? I would suggest Udaipur as it literally would be half way.

You may want to jump to Delhi-Mumbai thread since HVK can provide you a road-map which you can use. These are based on ODO readings and I used them successfully on my roadtrip from Delhi to Mumbai and back.
Old 13th January 2014, 12:07   #23
BHPian

Quote:
1. Would it be advisable to drive down a new BMW with M-Sport Suspension (27mm lower than our regular car) on a 1000km + journey?

2. How bad are the roads?
Be careful while driving between Ranakpur-Udaipur Section, particularly in between Kherwara and Padoona . At many places humps of tarmac have accumulated in the middle of the road, which considering lower ground clearance of your car increases the probability of under scraping.
Old 14th January 2014, 00:43   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
When I bought a new car the sales guy asked me to idle the car for 10 minutes to "break-in" the engine and drive it like I stole it. I did just that. I came home and read the owners manual. Thankfully there was no mention of break in period. What does your owners manual say for break in period?

When test driving new cars, I always floor to whatever rpm till the sales guy gets uncomfortable. It would be totally weird if it had a conservative break in criteria, all the test drivers broke that criterion, and the guy who eventually ends up buying that car was trying to be very cautious. I never want to buy a car that has more than a few miles as the initial odometer reading.

People attribute modern machining techniques with much better tolerances to have eliminated the need for break-in periods. But, I would trust the owners manual more than anyone's word or advise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The current ownership manual says that for the first 1500 miles you should not cross 3.5k rpm and use brakes judiciously and not be harsh on them. 3.5k rpm literally translates into 160 kmph approx with that fantastic gear box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
Man, am I feeling jealous?

Mumbai-Delhi is the best 1,400 Km road stretch you will get anywhere in India (having done the route partially in Gujarat and Rajasthan). These stretches offer delectable drives even on a Nano let alone a BMW.

Had it been a run-in car, you would have ripped it (obviously with in speed limits ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Please be very cautious for the first 500-700 km. You will have reduced braking and poor tire grip. The run flats take longer to achieve optimal grip. In a friend's BMW, I felt quite a big difference when I drove it when new and after a few hundred km. It felt even better after 3k km.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
If you are driving from Bombay to Delhi for the first time I would advise you to be careful on the Jai-Del stretch. It has some uneven patches but if you keep your eyes fixed on the road there should be no trouble. Also you should try to be on the Jai-Delhi highway before 2 pm as after that there can be an increase in traffic to the point of traffic jams.

Are you planning to stay somewhere? I would suggest Udaipur as it literally would be half way.

You may want to jump to Delhi-Mumbai thread since HVK can provide you a road-map which you can use. These are based on ODO readings and I used them successfully on my roadtrip from Delhi to Mumbai and back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
Be careful while driving between Ranakpur-Udaipur Section, particularly in between Kherwara and Padoona . At many places humps of tarmac have accumulated in the middle of the road, which considering lower ground clearance of your car increases the probability of under scraping.
Thank you all for the advices. My trip has been postponed to 2nd week of Feb as I have to attend a wedding ceremony in the middle of all this. The car will be with the dealer till 4-5th Feb despite the fact that the complete payment has been made

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks