Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 16:01   #1

My experience : Mumbai -> Delhi -> Mumbai

Hi Team

Thought of sharing my experience of the drive that I took recently from Mumbai to Delhi on my BMW 530D.

I started on 29th April 2011 at 530 PM at Andheri Flyover in Mumbai and reached Vapi around 730PM the same day. There was no traffic while exiting MUmbai to my surprise may be coz Mumbai Indians IPL was in progress! The roads are awesome except for some diversions caused due to Flyovers/Widening work in progress on NH8.

But some 80 Kms before Vadodara around 11 PM there was a huge jam running in few kms. I was stuck for some 1 hour only to find out later that there is a "bridge" which is a narrow 2 lane only and some local cops had blocked the traffic coming from Mumbai and were allowing only 1 truck at a time. This is despite that extreme left lane is reserved for cars only. Scorpios and other MUVs were using the side pavement to do off-roading but I avoided the same and may perhaps have stuck for longer time than these cars...but then I knew that I would be able to overtake them on a clean road!

I reached the Toll Gate for Ahmedabad Vadodara Expressway at 12:49 AM on 30th April coz of that traffic jam. By 01:39AM I had crossed the toll gate on Ahmedabad side (remember you need to show the receipt issued to u on the earlier gate). Expressway is just awesome!

I had decided to spend the night at Ahmedabad with my friends. Caution here: all food joints are closed at Ahmedabad so unless u r staying with somebody, u wont get anything on the street!

Started from Ahmedabad towards Anand at 730 in the morning of April 30th. Although I was told the direct way to Anand from where I was staying but I got confused and reached back the "ring road" which has exit to expressway towards Mumbai. Dont take the right turn on the expressway unless u have to go to Mumbai. For Udaipur/Delhi one needs to follow the ring road through a railway crossing to reach the junction where the road from Anand meets up! Which can be pretty nasty at 8AM!

However I exited Ahmedabad (back on NH8) around 0900 AM (initially 2 lane and then 4 lane after some 20 Kms). The roads to Udaipur is just amazing. Ensure that if u need hi speed Diesel for ur car then get the tank filled at Ahmedabad only.

Around 12 I reached Udaipur and got the tank fill with Hi Speed Diesel and by 12:17 I had exited Udaipur on Chittorgarh Highway NH76 (dont take the alternate route as the roads are pathetic) which was a breeze to drive on! Its at Udaipur that I picked Chips/Biscuits/Water/ThumsUP...my 1st meal for the day.

Dont remember when did I pass Chittorgarh but via Kishangarh-Jaipur Expressway NH8, I was exiting Jaipur by 430 PM. As I was mesmerizing how amazing the roads have been so far I suddenly hit what was the spoiler of the trip!

Jaipur-Delhi Highway is going through major repairs and widening. So there is lot of patch-work and diversions. Because of service lanes in the villages and towns, restless MUVs (Scorpio/Innova of the world) and small cars get onto these service lanes and block these diversions for the traffic that is on the highway and hence the average speed comes down. There was a big jam at Kothputli and I had to drive at snail pace for about an hour coz of the same reason.

I had stopped at a Cafe Cofee Day for 15-20 min just before Kothputli to have my snacks and XXX (Energy drink that I realized I need badly by then!). Used this time for bit stretching also.

Around 930 PM on 30th May I entered Gurgaon. So it took me about 5 hours to do Jaipur-Gurgaon. I remember doing this stretch in 3 hrs way back in 2002-3 on my friend's Zen!

The best part of the trip was an average of 16 that my beemer gave!!! And it was never deficient of power, whenever I needed it, it was just there!

And on this trip I realised, whoever invented "cruise-control" must have been DRIVING! If you do long drives must then this feature is awesome.

Hope you all find it useful!

Cheers
The Machine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 18:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mumbai to Delhi drive in Apr-May 2011

Nice experience there!

In June '09, we shifted from Pune-Gurgaon and took the same route that you have, except stopping at most places for a day or 2 to visit all the places.

I'm glad they have started work on the Delhi-Jaipur highway; it was heavenly smooth till 2007 after which it's become a mess. The truck traffic increases drastically after Jaipur making it indisciplined too!

So, what's planned for Delhi-Mumbai?

Last edited by libranof1987 : 4th May 2011 at 18:37.
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:40   #3
BHPian

re: My experience : Mumbai -> Delhi -> Mumbai

I covered this stretch on my bike (07 Enfield) in mid Apr 2011, the experience is somewhat different on a bike. While the traffic jams were easy to negotiate the bad roads between Jaipur & Delhi were a horror :|
Though the NH8 between Ahmedabad and Udaipur made it all up!! The road is wide, free of traffic and has wide swooping curves where you can easily throw your bike in the turns without any fear - what fun!!!
Old 6th June 2011, 09:25   #4

re: My experience : Mumbai -> Delhi -> Mumbai

I did this stretch as part of my Ahmedabad to Delhi trip last week in my Innova. We left Ahmedabad around 5.15am and were comfortably cruising on the Jaipur bypass by 2pm but thereafter the 260 odd kms to Delhi took us close to 5 hours with mini jams at almost each of the towns on the way. Silver lining though is that once this six laning work is through, the drive will be a real joyride and Ahmedabad - Delhi will be doable in under 12 hours.
Old 14th August 2011, 12:32   #5

Re: Mumbai to Delhi drive in Apr-May 2011

Thanx Man.

Sorry missed your reply. Have been busy traveling and some corporate structuring.

Well I sold my BMW530D and am looking at SUV as my next option. May be Q5/Freelander2. Any suggestions!

Audi is offering discounts but JLR still stuck to snobbish habits...so no discounts!

Would buy it in Delhi and will drive it to Mumbai.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Nice experience there!

In June '09, we shifted from Pune-Gurgaon and took the same route that you have, except stopping at most places for a day or 2 to visit all the places.

I'm glad they have started work on the Delhi-Jaipur highway; it was heavenly smooth till 2007 after which it's become a mess. The truck traffic increases drastically after Jaipur making it indisciplined too!

So, what's planned for Delhi-Mumbai?
Old 9th June 2013, 15:27   #6
BHPian

Delhi - Mumbai May 2013

Car: Vento Diesel.
Passengers: 3
Hotel Bookings: None
Date of journey: 30th May
Door to Door Journey: 1387 KM’s
Total Toll: Rs 996. On some tolls I paid twice, I should have just showed the previous receipt.
Max. Mileage shown on Vento MID : 25.3

I must admit faced a lot of resistance from my Parents persuading me not to do so, going to the extent of they accompanying me till Ajmer /Udaipur. Their reluctance was understandable as I had not driven for sometime now, however I was determined of doing it, so after lot of back and forth managed to have my way.

I was planning to start my odyssey at a very unusual time, just after a quick lunch around 1’sh in the afternoon, Mum’s food (including packed dinner) and love ensured that I leave by 3:45 pm from Vasant Kunj. It did throw my schedule off however unsolicited waiting for my friend who I had to pick up en route ensured that we couldn’t start by 4:30, to make things worse we had to see off lot of traffic at Mahipalpur.

Delhi - Jaipur
There’s massive construction of flyovers underway between Delhi Jaipur stretch which leads to sharp diversions at places where flyovers are being constructed. Road quality is decent and 4 lanes during the most Part. Vento’s AC did a remarkable job in Delhi’s May Heat.
Missed Jaipur bypass so had to enter Jaipur City and flowed in with the City Traffic, it was past 9 so we were desperately looking for a hotel. After few inspections finally selected one in Main Jaipur Market. Rooms were good and staff was gracious enough to warm home cooked food, the smell of tandoori chicken overwhelmed me at tandoor downstairs so ordered some which went well beer to bring an end to Day 1.

Day 2
Started at 9 am, Refuelled the car, 32/38 Tire Pressue and it took some time to get out of Jaipur City as Metro Construction is going on, Entered the Jaipur Ajmer highway. This is one of the best stretch’s you’d find in Rajasthan. Nice 6 Lane highway in with well laid out Roads. Reached Ajmer in 2 hrs time and had covered around 130 odd kms, I limited the speed to 110 tops. Visited the Ajmer Sharif Dargah, had light Lunch and Left Ajmer at 1:30.

Ajmer – Udaipur
This is one of the most difficult stretches between Delhi -Mumbai. 2 Lane Roads with no Divider in between. Roads were just about ok. The Scenic beauty of the road on reaching Updaipur made up to some extent. As it was around 6 pm we decided to ride another 100 odd kms and took the bypass. Udaipur is roughly the half way mark between Delhi - Mumbai.

Udaipur – Kherwada
Fortunately After crossing Udaipur the Road condition improved and we got nice 4 Lane Highway with good Roads.
After driving for another 80 odd minutes we started looking out for some good hotels on the highway Kherwada is last big town in Rajasthan. Worst case we would have to drive another 100 odd to reach HimmatNagar in Gujarat. Luckily enough we found a good one which served really really tasty food I have had since a long time.

Day 3
Left Kherwada at 10 am after having breakfast, and entered Gujarat in a hours Time. Road conditions only improve After Ahemdabad which took another hour to reach.

Ahemdabad – Baroda-Surat-Valsad
The 6-8 lane expressway is of the best you’ll drive in, we being overtaken at 120, Reached Baroda in under 2 Hours.
We stopped by for lunch on our way to Surat. Refuelled in Surat. Had lunch and made our way towards Valsad. Roads were consistently 4-6 lanes and with dividers.

Vapi-Mumbai
Reached Vapi around 7’sh, the highway was consistently curvy and not well lit, at times it was difficult to see the road ahead. I found it easier to follow the car ahead rather than follow the road. The Vento handled really well on these curves.

Bad roads started and we knew Mumbai isn’t far. Reached Home extremely tired at 9:30 pm. Andheri East. Slept Well with right shoulder arm slightly stiff.
rauldsouza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2013, 15:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi - Mumbai May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldsouza View Post
Ajmer – Udaipur
This is one of the most difficult stretches between Delhi -Mumbai. 2 Lane Roads with no Divider in between. Roads were just about ok. The Scenic beauty of the road on reaching Updaipur made up to some extent. As it was around 6 pm we decided to ride another 100 odd kms and took the bypass. Udaipur is roughly the half way mark between Delhi - Mumbai.
Your experience would have been entirely different if you had taken NH76/ NH 79 via Chitorgarh/ Bhilwara to Udaipur from Kishangarh.
Anyways, you can try this, if you plan to drive back to Delhi.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 09:30   #8

Re: Delhi - Mumbai May 2013

nice review Raul .. It amazes me the roads are still 'being done' on Del-Jaipur stretch .. it was the same when I did Mum-Del in Dec-12

Happy driving in Mumbai!
Old 14th July 2013, 19:21   #9
BHPian

Hi All,

I am scheduled to drive down from Delhi to Mumbai starting this Wednesday.
I intend taking the night halt on Wednesday at Udaipur and making a dash for Mumbai on Thursday itself.
Would this sound as an ambitious plan or is it doable without much pain ?

Any advice on places to stop along the way, food joints etc would be helpful.
Thanks a bunch
Sid
Old 15th July 2013, 23:51   #10
BHPian

Re: My experience : Mumbai -> Delhi -> Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidwadia View Post
Hi All,

I am scheduled to drive down from Delhi to Mumbai starting this Wednesday.
I intend taking the night halt on Wednesday at Udaipur and making a dash for Mumbai on Thursday itself.
Would this sound as an ambitious plan or is it doable without much pain ?

Any advice on places to stop along the way, food joints etc would be helpful.
Thanks a bunch
Sid
hi sid

my advice would be to stop at rtdc chittaur since ypu do not have to enter the city and it is very close to the mumbai end of bypass exit.

udaipur would entail going into the city and experiencing traffic.

other options for stay would be rtdc gavri at rishabhdeo rtdc ratanpur(raj guj border) hotel mangalmurti at shamlaji great views,landmark at himmatnagar.this will save you some extra time and money.

regards

praveen

Last edited by pravdr : 15th July 2013 at 23:52.
pravdr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 12:15   #11
BHPian

Mumbai - Delhi Roadtrip in a new BMW

Hey folks! I'd be taking delivery of a new F30 320D from Mumbai in a couple of weeks. I need to take the car to Delhi after a week of use in Mumbai. For some reason, I don't wanna go the flat bed way. My queries;

1. Would it be advisable to drive down a new BMW with M-Sport Suspension (27mm lower than our regular car) on a 1000km + journey?

2. How bad are the roads?

3. How long would it take if I keep the run-in period in mind and drive at 80-100kmph with regular breaks?

4. I WONT be having the RC of the car as it usually takes a fortnight for the same but I can't postpone my trip as I have to attend a wedding of a relative.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 12:30   #12
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Delhi Roadtrip in a new BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Hey folks! I'd be taking delivery of a new F30 320D from Mumbai in a couple of weeks. I need to take the car to Delhi after a week of use in Mumbai. For some reason, I don't wanna go the flat bed way. My queries;

4. I WONT be having the RC of the car as it usually takes a fortnight for the same but I can't postpone my trip as I have to attend a wedding of a relative.
First of all, congratulations!

Don't know about the first three questions but not having RC book is not an issue as long as you carry the original invoice, tax receipts and insurance, of course.

Have a safe trip!
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 12:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. Would it be advisable to drive down a new BMW with M-Sport Suspension (27mm lower than our regular car) on a 1000km + journey?

2. How bad are the roads?

3. How long would it take if I keep the run-in period in mind and drive at 80-100kmph with regular breaks?

You can do the trip effortlessly, fantastic roads through out.

Mumbai - Thane - Surat - Ahmedabad - Vadodra - Himmatnagar - Baruch - Udaipur - Kishangarh - Jaipur - Delhi

Jaipur - Delhi is under road widening, but the roads were in decent condition.

You will have your Tax Challan indicating that tax was paid in Maharashtra. It shouldnt be problem.

Enjoy your drive !
F150 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 18:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No problems whatsoever,roads good all throughout,except NH8 Jaipur-Gurgaon which is under widening.Budget for approx 6hrs for this stretch

BOM-AMD:7hrs
AMD-UDP:4hrs
UDP-JAIPUR:6-7hrs

Quote:
Well if you want to go as per the rules,then you cant drive out of the jurisdiction of your RTA with the temp Regn(assuming its a temp regn).The Temp Regn "as per rules" is only for the vehicle to go from the showroom to the RTA for registering (ofcourse this is open to various interpretations and arguments).So as such should not be a problem but if you are stopped then be ready to be read this rule to you and be prepared to part with some chai paani etc.

If its a permanent regn on the plate then you are good to go with no hassles whatsoever.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 18:38   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Man what dates are you going? Can I join you from Vadodara onwards .

Coming to your question:

The roads are excellent till jaipur. You don't need to worry at all. Jaipur to Delhi is under construction and has regular diversions but these are well laid and the low GC will not give you any trouble. So go ahead and enjoy your drive. Remember to put the yellow sticker on the headlight for Gujarat State.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks