Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2011, 11:59   #1
BHPian

Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR

Dear All BHPians / Friends,

Astounding Experience, GREEN, Unusual driving conditions, True Tropical fruits are simple words I can describe my personal longest drive from HYDERABAD to MUNNAR (2665 KM). Here are some picture perfect snaps..

Summary:

Trip Duration : 22nd Apr to 27th Apr
Rath : OHC TYPE II
Total ODO : 2665 KM
Passengers : My 7 yr old Kid, My wife and Me (driver )
Total Expenses: 30K+
Petrol : INR 10781
FE : 15.6
Toll : ~1300
Incidents : NONE

-14 days to 0 days:

Preparation:

As usual when we say long drive to munnar, wife screemed at me. Friends were also not suggesting. We initially thought of alternative options. air, train turned out to be tiresome, expensive and not comfortable. We prefer going by our own rules and agenda which we miss if we take any other mode. That was my trump card with my wife. I was able to convince her with that.

I was pretty confident as I have done coorg, vizag and many other drives earlier the only apprehension was ohc with 86k odo. will it support me with extreme weather and road conditions. So, I went to my friend and "tune up" garage owner at kukatpally. He has done thorough check. Asked him to do the following

1. Mobil 1 SuperSync (0W-40). OHC was running in semi-sync for a while. Its time for full synthetic. Engine flush. He also done throttle body cleanup.
2. Rear mufler change was pending. Done that too.
3. Complete check of cluth, brake, gear.
4. Right drive shaft boot has some crack in it and grease was leaking. I asked to change that and also asked to change if any other parts got damaged.
5. Nice interior cleaning and double coat exterior wax polish with "Nxt 2.0:
6. Wheel alignment and balancing. Nitrogen.

Drove over 100 kms on normal daily life with one long drive test on our beautiful ORR. Satisfied with the performance.

Booked the resort "Shamrock" for 4 nights.

Cntd..
Attached Thumbnails
Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-dsc01645.jpg  

Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-dsc01656.jpg  

Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-dsc01691.jpg  

Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-dsc02009.jpg  

Old 5th May 2011, 12:14   #2
BHPian

Re: Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR

Day1:

ODO : 892 KM
Total Travel Duration : 2:40 PM to 4:20 AM (next day)
Travel Time : 13 hours 40 mts
drive time : 12 hours
rest time : (40 mts at A1 plaza after Dhone, 20 mts at Anantapur, 30 mts at hosur, 20 mts at salem toll)
drive conditions : Mostly raining. Full 4 LANED.

Filled up the tank at IBP at jubliee hills,hyderabad. Last minute packing. Packed dinner also as we were not so keen on lunch. Only exciting and emotions are running high.

Weather was unusally good in mid summer. It rained last couple of days. At journey starting time it was on and off. However, it was mostly cloudy when we started and through kurnool.

Started from home at 2:40 pm and cross shamshabad airport junction by 3:10 pm. As it is a long and night journey I decided not to cross 100-110 kmph anywhere.
maintained good speeds.

Stopped at A1 plaza after Dhone at 290 KM as I was driving for last 3 hours continuosly. After bio rituals, had nice and hot onion pakodas. Packed some of them for dinner too. Weather is windy and raining hard. Departed for further journey around 6:30 pm.

Rain is pouring cats and dogs. Wiper is in full speed and visibility is almost zero. Dippers ON. The rain lasts the whole journey on and off. It was good as engine wont be too hot. It was bad as speeds are reduced and there is a risk while driving in the rain.

Stopped 20 KM after Anantapur as the Rain was making the windsheild and headlights blur. Wiped with some soap water to get the visibility back. Had dinner which was packed at Home.

Just before Bagepally and refueled for INR 1000. We want to hit Bangalore by 10 PM as per our plan. Here is the planned trip. Contd...
Attached Thumbnails
Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-planned_trip_day1.jpg  

Old 5th May 2011, 12:34   #3
BHPian

Contd..

As many fellow BHPipans suggested, I also had enough maps and information about taking diversion at Devanahalli toward NH207 or Whilefield road. Since there was heavy rain and poor visbility, I thought its better to stick to main roads..
Entered into Bengaluru. Toll at Airport still not started itseems.. Saw the toll fee as FREE. Cruised into Yalahanka town. Surprised to see such heavy traffic even at 10 pm. Lot of diversions on the road. I think for elevated highway / metro.

Departed Hebbal ring road junction and took left towards KR Puram.. Rain is still there but not as heavy. Asked for directions at KR Puram. Due to poor visibility and rain,
we missed sarjapur diversion and proceeded to silk board, took left turn and landed on betl and we are out of bangalore traffic. After two immidiate Tolls (betl & hosur), we landed
in RTA check post mess. We tail gated KSRTC bus and sneaked through the mess in no time. stopped at HP Petrol station after hosur. Took some coffee which we carried
along with us as it was already 11:30 pm and odo is 650. We were happy that we covered time as planned. Filled up the tank. Washed and wiped all windows, headlights and tail lamps with newspaper

Its just another 240-250 kms to reach our first stop Perundurai where the 4 lane ends. I didnt want to take break before that as it didnt make sense to me.
My wife was generous to be awake and talking to me so that I wont get sleep. I asked her to take rest. She slowly goes into sleep once I started from there around Midnight.
The rain was still there but drizzling. Soon after rain was coming hard again and traffic is also too heavy especially trucks, rtc buses and private travellers. Worst guys are private travellers.
Few cars were on the road. Must be cause of the weather.

For a second i thought, I will stop the car and take the acco somewhere in Dharmapuri or Krishnagiri. But my kid and wife in deep sleep. My love didnt allow them to wake up.

I was in complete concious and was not getting sleep. In a way thanks to traffic as we will be awake and alert. Reached Salem toll around 2:30 AM. Its just 8-10 KMs from Salem city.

Took bio break and coffee break.
Roamed around to get some fresh air. Rain was not showing any respite. Started from there at around 2:50 am. Took the flyover towards NH 47 / Coimbatore. With in no time reached Sankari bypass and bhavani bypass.

AS many fellow bhpians warned there is no proper diversion towards Perundurai town. So started couting odo as Perundurai is 24 kms from bhavani.

Managed to spot the diversion before moving ahead. and went into the town. there was only one tea stall opened around 4:15 am. Sipped hot and fresh tea. Mmmm It was made excellent. Seems every tea stall guy in TN knows the trick of splitting tea with two cups.. you know what I am saying.. excellent..

Inquired about any lodges. Couple of them suggested "Chinnamman lodge" just after crossing the junction. Woke up the manager and enquired about
rooms. He showed one room. It was decent and good enough to take rest for couple of hours. Charged 600 rs for three hours. No mood to negotiate. I said OK.

With all these action of stopping and starting. My wife and kid woke up. We checked into hotel by 4:40 am. Took power nap for one and half hour. ZZZZZ..

End of Day1.. Contd..
Old 5th May 2011, 14:21   #4
BHPian

Hyderabad to Munnar by road, that too continous driving in heavy rains, this is a travelouge I guess would be worth the read. Going by the present posts, I feel that there's more in offering. Good to hear your 0 incident count, especially when you were with your family. Keep it coming Raghu, make me relive my Munnar Experience. Only textual posts will not do, where's the photolouge of it?
Old 5th May 2011, 15:05   #5
BHPian

Contd..

Day2:

ODO : 200 KM
To : Resort at Munnar
Total Travel Duration : 8:15 AM to 1:50 PM
Travel Time : 6 Hours 30 Mts
Drive time : 4 hours 30 mts
Rest time : (45 mts at Anand Bhavan at Dharapuram, 30 mts at checkposts, 30 mts Sceneries on the way, 20 mts asking directions)
Drive conditions : Mix of Plains to Terrian. 2 Lane to very narrow and twisty roads.

Had refreshing hot water bath and sipped piping hot tea. We checkedout the hotel by 8 am. Meanwhile, I asked hotel boy to wash my car. He was bit lazy doing that.
I also did along with him and started at around 8:15 am. Though its two lane road, but excellent and big enough to stick to our lane at speeds of 100+.
After 20 mts reached Kengayam. Asked for directions and proceeded to Dharapuram. As suggested by locals, took bypass road to avoid narrow roads.

Here are some pictures on the way to Dharapuram..

Pic5: Hanuman cruising and protecting all the way...
Pic6: Picturesque landscape

Stopped at Anand Bhavan veg after travelling for a KM on the bypass. Had nice Roast (dosa), Pongal, Idli. Ambiance was not that great. Food was OK. Surprised that the bearer knows Telugu well.
Started to Udumulapettai around 10:15 am. Reached Udumulapettai by 11 AM. Its 39 KM excellent road. Asked for directions to Munnar.
Roads were not marked clearly to go to Munnar. We missed one road and took Palani road. Later asked a person who guided to correct road. Seems there was some construction was going on munnar road. Took couple of
diversions. after 15 mts we were out of town. cruised for another 10 mts and reached to chinar forest checkpost by 11:20 AM. Signed and gave rs 20 and proceed further.

Here are some more pictures on the way to Udumulapettai:

Pic1: Excellent two lane road
Pic2: Green fields and Green Power too..
Pic7: Indicating how bad weather on hills
Pic8: Breakfast at Anand Bhavan

Roads were narrowed further. From perundurai till Chinar there was no rain. But humidity and sultriness was there. We were expecting another shower in no time.
We stopped again at multiple check posts in tamil nadu and kerala side. Except kerala forest checkpost, rest are all asking for rs 20. At the bridge between tamil nadu and kerala, many monkeys
were there. I rolled down window and left the car to sign at the checkpost. Suddenly a monkey came into the car searching for some food. Wife and kid were scared.
It was sitting on the driver window. my wife dared and tried to roll up the glass. Monkey freighneded and left.

Heard from the forest guy that these are very wild monkeys and would bite us too. Luckily no incident happened. Just after entering into kerala, it getting cooler
and started raining. Raining really hard. Also, we were clibing mountain after mountain. These rain spells are pretty quick and small. 10 mts of heavy rain and no rain
for couple of mts. As we are crossing mountains and their faces from east to west, lot of variation in precipitation and landscapes. Excellent and memorable drive though.

Snaps on the way to Marayur..

Pic3: Narrow and Steep roads through Chinar.
Pic4: Bridge between TN checkpost and Kerala Checkpost
Pic 9 & 10: Closure view of Hills.. Another bridge. No water in those streams though.

Contd..
Attached Thumbnails
Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-23042011010.jpg  

Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-23042011011.jpg  

Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-dsc01597.jpg  

Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-dsc01601.jpg  

Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-23042011016.jpg  

Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-23042011.jpg  

Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-dsc01625.jpg  

Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-dsc01635.jpg  

Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-23042011021.jpg  

Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-23042011022.jpg  

Old 5th May 2011, 15:10   #6
BHPian

Raghu, I would suggest you read this thread once before proceeding with this TL. The pics embedded inside the TL relate to the moment very well compared to being attached as a bunch of images. It makes the travelouge easy to read and relate to the pics put up. Just my 2 cents about it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html
Old 5th May 2011, 15:20   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Raghu, I would suggest you read this thread once before proceeding with this TL. The pics embedded inside the TL relate to the moment very well compared to being attached as a bunch of images. It makes the travelouge easy to read and relate to the pics put up. Just my 2 cents about it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html
Hey Thanks travelohic. That would definitely help. I was not aware of that. I was scratching my head and doing all sort of UI techniques to do that..
tmnraghu78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 15:34   #8
Team-BHP Support

One shot drive from Hyderabad to Perundurai and that too in rain!
And not to mention going through Bangalore!
Old 5th May 2011, 15:42   #9
BHPian

Contd...

We crossed Marayur around 12:40 and stopped around 30 kms to Munnar to take nice pictures as the scenerary was astounding. No more words to it. One has to feel standing there.

Here are some more pictures on the way to Marayur..

Picturesque waterfall.. forgot the name
Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-dsc01636.jpg

More rain inevitable
Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-dsc01638.jpg

Too Fruity... Can I get one please...
Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-dsc01640.jpg

Wet and Winding roads..
Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-dsc01654.jpg
Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-dsc01647.jpg

Isnt it worth driving to Munnar
Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-dsc01675.jpg

Daily work life in Kannan Devan Hills
Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-dsc01681.jpg

Another water fall.. looks fresh..
Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-dsc01653.jpg

As my wife had some problem with heights, twisty roads she started feeling little dizzy. reduced the speed and was driving slow to make her comfortable. after Eravikulum she was getting little better. Finally reached munnar around 13:30. We booked "shamrock" resort which is further 5 kms from munnar. Munnar seems to be very crowded when entered and very narrow too. Rain was just stopped. We proceeded further on NH49 towards Kochi and crossed ksrtc bustand and reached to the bridge. Called up hotel reception for directions. They guided to cross the bridge on the left after a KM from there and proceed to Pothamedu. Pothamedu has lots of resorts. From decent to luxurious. Rain picked up again and its coming hard.

Reached the resort. Resort is tiny yet decent. Has only 8 rooms. 4 std and 4 deluxe. we booked deluxe for 4 nights with around 20% discount. total tariff was coming to rs 8438 for four nights. has decent parking where 4 cars can sneak in. parked and unloaded the luggage. finally we settled in the resort around 2:30 pm. It took exactly 24 hours door to door.

I was standing in the balcony and was speechless after seeing the view. We had kerala trip from kanyakumari (tn) to thrissur except munnar in 2008 sep.
I kep munnar and around aside. Anyway, my kid and my wife were hungry. Asked for lunch. They politely said lunch is over and need to be ordered earlier.

First look from the balcony..

Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-dsc01686.jpg
Heart of Deccan Plateau - HYDERABAD to Kannan Devan Hills - MUNNAR-dsc01689.jpg

As its small resort, its custom made. Asked for sandwiches as per wife's requirements. Enjoyed the lunch and took some rest. As the rain was still pouring, we decided to stay back and take rest. Had good hot water bath. Ordered dinner early. Shamrock menu is little pricy for the portions they give. Otherwise, food is good. Gulped the hot dinner and went to bed early reminding all beautiful sceneries we have seen so far..

End of Day2..

Contd..
Old 5th May 2011, 15:46   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
One shot drive from Hyderabad to Perundurai and that too in rain!
And not to mention going through Bangalore!
Yes Amp.. Its non-stop while returning... more to come on this Travelogue..
Old 5th May 2011, 23:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, my kid and my wife were hungry. Asked for lunch. They politely said lunch is over and need to be ordered earlier.
There is a SN Sujatha Inn (one with the check post like gate) or something on the right when drive from Munnar towards Adimali (Cochin route). Its 1/2 km from the narrow bridge (in your case the right turn from Marayoor route). We had our 'lunch' at 4pm last Saturday and it was pretty decent.
Old 11th May 2011, 11:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nice start to the TL,looking forward to more.
Old 17th May 2011, 17:48   #13
BHPian

Sorry to all guys.. I was stuck with office work and is travelling at client locations (no access to team-bhp :( ) . Will continue the TL in a day or two...
Old 17th May 2011, 18:53   #14
BHPian

Raghu, your TL is very interesting
Hyderabad to Perundurai in one go and in rain thats amazing; and the return journey was non stop Just my personal thougt; isn't that risky

Most Viewed