Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 22:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss

The last photo should have been inserted earlier where I spoke about the pine forests. Sorry for the slipup.
Old 10th May 2011, 14:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue and great pics Vindywheels. Can you please provide some more details on the route that you took from Bangalore to Munnar and how were the roads? I am planning a trip to Munnar and wanted to know the road conditions, driving time etc.
Old 10th May 2011, 15:32   #18
BHPian

Hi,

I took the usual route - Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai (we halted overnight here) -Udumalpe-Chinnar-Munnar. The roads were all in great condition. Have a great time

Rgds
VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Nice travelogue and great pics Vindywheels. Can you please provide some more details on the route that you took from Bangalore to Munnar and how were the roads? I am planning a trip to Munnar and wanted to know the road conditions, driving time etc.
Old 10th May 2011, 18:21   #19
BHPian

We had noted the directions to Monica estate bunglow from the caretaker, but still had difficulties in reaching the place. With airtel and vodafone having no network, we were going round and round. Tea estates in all directions with some bunglow or the other in sight! And whomever we asked pointed in a new direction! Finally we ended up in their Director's bunglow (distant view in the first pic below).

Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zgad.jpg

The gentleman took our intrusion lightly and called up the caretaker to send someone. And finally our misery came to an end, we happily followed our bunglow chef behind his bike.
"No wonder we missed the direction" I quipped, "the signboard of Monica bunglow is hanging upside down on a tree branch" (due to rain and storm a few days back)

The bunglow had one more family who were also from Bangalore. The rooms were spacious, but the KDHP bunglow looked more British and elegant. The green roof looked a little artificial. The surroundings were great!

Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zh.jpg
Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zi.jpg
Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zj.jpg

It was sunset time and we were not at all tired. Reaching consensus was easy - Lets go for a estate drive!!! The woodbriar estates are the best we have seen for a great drive. The green carpet is so nicely woven in acres and acres of land. The sunset added to the great feel. We stopped over at different places to click snaps and enjoy the air.

Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zk.jpg

After driving a while we came across a forest and it was already dark. Couple of locals told us there is a heard of elephants ahead. We stopped and debated for a good 5 minutes - wifey was excited and wanted to proceed, but the road was haunted, sun had vanished by now and the memories of a forced off-roading by a tusker in Muthanga was fresh in my mind. We decided to go ahead, but very slowly and carefully. Finally reached a small village and returned back the same route, heads sticking out to see if the gentle giants are hiding in the darkness.

The dinner was ready by the time we reached back. The food was tasty.
We relaxed for some time in the living room which had a nice ambience after the lights were switched on.

Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zja.jpg

As suggested by the cartaker, we decided to go for a early morning walk to a 260 year old bunglow in a nearby estate. I loved the early morning hues
(pic below taken at 5:30am)

Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zl.jpg

The old bunglow had great wooden interiors, but the light was too less for snaps. We returned back afte a brief walk around bunglow. Had a great breakfast and ventured out for another estate drive.

Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zn.jpg
Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zo.jpg

Checked out from Monica at around 2:00pm after lunch. Bid goodbye to the beautiful woodbriar estates. Our next destination was Waterfalls estates which was around 26kms away.
VindyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 18:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Amazing pictures.
Made us relive some good old memories.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 19:50   #21
BHPian

Hi Laluks,

In my short span of becoming a tbhpian I have read most of your travelogues. Loved the Nelliampathy and the Vagamon-Valparai one. I came to know about Valprai thru you guys

Rgds

VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Amazing pictures.
Made us relive some good old memories.
Old 10th May 2011, 20:40   #22
Team-BHP Support

Was the location of the bungalow on a hillock? The snaps look more like a plane on that altitude. Is that right or its something different?
Old 10th May 2011, 22:42   #23
BHPian

Hi Amp,

The whole area was hilly. We had to drive up for abt 20ms from the estate road to reach the bunglow. Ya, once you reach the top there is a large flat area. You would have seen the other snap - distant view of the Director's bunglow, I think the terrain is similar, but Monica is not surrounded by tea estates.

Rgds

VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Was the location of the bungalow on a hillock? The snaps look more like a plane on that altitude. Is that right or its something different?
Old 11th May 2011, 03:34   #24
Team-BHP Support

That explains it. You should have definitely driven up the hill. But since many snaps (apart from the director's bungalow) showed ample flat space, I thought there was enough flat area around that region.
Old 11th May 2011, 04:25   #25
BHPian

How is the weather in Valparai and Kodaikanal.. I am contemplating a trip to either of these places and would need your suggestion.. Thought Valparai must be hot with temperatures soaring up to 36-37.. Is it a good time to go to Valparai now.. I will be going by 21st May types..
Old 11th May 2011, 05:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Ahh so you stayed at Monica Garden bungalow. When we went we had the entire bungalow to enjoy. Is Rangan still the cook there? Did you manage to see the barking deer which religiously appears in the morning and evening near the gate? One more thing about the place is that you wake up quite early because of the cacophony of noises created by the wide array of birds. Valparai is certainly bliss. Now that we have somebody who has stayed at both Woodbriar and Waterfall it would be interesting to hear the comparisons. The director's bungalow you are referring must be the Stanmore Bungalow, their flagship property, fabulous place with tea gardens all around.

I remember my wife and myself going on an estate drive the evening we reached there, narrow winding roads with forest on one side and tea estates on the other. Reached till Kurangu Mudi and turned back because it was quite spooky to say the least. Incidentally the road via Kurangu Mudi is the original Valparay - Chalakudy state highway.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 07:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Nice. Those pictures are nice but elephant maybe a next time.

Velparai really looks gorgeous and i hope it remains that way too. Untouched
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 12:10   #28
BHPian

Hi Sathhya,

The weather was pleasant in Valparai except for the noon time. If you want a quiet stay using most of the early morning and evening to venture out for drives, I would suggest Valparai. You can also visit some nearby tourist spots aswell.
Kodai was very crowded even during the weekdays. So you may not able to enjoy the popular spots there.
The best weather was in Munnar (especially at Chundavurrai estate bunglow which was further 30 kms up from Munnar town).

Rgds
VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
How is the weather in Valparai and Kodaikanal.. I am contemplating a trip to either of these places and would need your suggestion.. Thought Valparai must be hot with temperatures soaring up to 36-37.. Is it a good time to go to Valparai now.. I will be going by 21st May types..
Old 11th May 2011, 19:52   #29
BHPian

Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss

After driving for 26 kms we reached our next estate bunglow - Indraprastha bunglow of waterfalls estate. It was more than a km off from the main road and was amidst the estate with distant view of the forests on one side and mountains on the other side.
The building looked well doneup and luxurious. There was non-one else, so we ran around the whole place. The lush green surroundings were great. The interiors were fantastic with topnotch furniture and tastefull decoration (including a fossil of a beautiful crab). Though the old world charm of KDHP bunglow was missing, we still loved this place and felt very relaxed and happy.

Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zpa.jpg
Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zq.jpg
Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zr.jpg
Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zqa.jpg

The surroundings were so good that we did not feel like going for a drive. Now let me show you the best place in this paradise - the bench under a 200 year old tree facing the distant mountains. You will easily get lost in the silence here and for me the experience was meditative.

Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zra.jpg
Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zsa.jpg
Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zt.jpg

The sun took out his paint brush as usual. We watched the changing hues and the miracle unfold slowly

Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zv.jpg
Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zw.jpg
Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zu.jpg

Our baby was very happy through out the trip and she seemed to love Valparai. Mom-the-great took a wonderful snap when me and my little one were enjoying the moment.

Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zx.jpg

The next day we played baddy on the lawn and just lazed around after loading up with delicious food served by Mr Perumal. In the evening we went for a estate drive. Saw the director's bunglow and their tea factory. Driving thru the narrow, winding roads was a pleasure. The light was not good enough for snaps.

We packed our bags by 11:00am next day, the 10th and the last day of our wonderful trip. But it wasnt over yet, the famed Valparai-Athirampally route was awaiting us.

Wifey was also eger as this was her last and best hope to catch her dream tusker . The moment we crossed the checkpost there was excitement in the air. The forest was as thick as you can get, the humming (or screaming) crickets ensured we were on the edge of the seat. A giant squirrel or a monkey would run across the road now and then to add to the drama.....but no elephants!

The sholayar dam looked beautiful from top.

Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zy.jpg
Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss-zz.jpg

By evening, after 5 hrs drive we reached my home at Kochi.

This was one of our best tours - a total escape from the city...living life king size in great bunglows surrounded by amazing nature, taken care by loving caretakers and indulging in complete silence...sshhh...
Old 11th May 2011, 20:21   #30
Team-BHP Support

A nice travelogue and well written. Sholayar snap was very nice. (Thats the lower Sholayar I hope). Also, did you stay in waterfall bungalow, or you went there to take a look?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks