Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2011, 17:59   #46
BHPian

Re: An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir

Hi Kunal,

Thanks for bringing the Kashmiri Beauty to the forefront with some beautifully captured pics. Really hope that one day it is as easily accessible to all countrymen as Manali or Simla.

@judemayne: Sir, I couldn't agree more with you, very well said.
Old 10th May 2011, 19:32   #47
BHPian

Beautiful pics! I wish and pray that I visit such a place at least once in my lifetime. Thank you so much for bring us something which we do not get to see often.

This is the beauty of our forum and i'm proud to be part of it.

Regards,

Saleem.
Old 11th May 2011, 21:17   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
Mattan is closer to Srinagar- around an hour's drive from there. It is an idyllic destination with the usual scenic surroundings Kashmir has to offer. It is a part of the Kashmir valley which means you have to cross THE tunnel to access it.

It has a very famous temple with the idol and sanctum sanctorum placed right in the middle of a pond. Quite a few pilgrims visit it on their way back from Amarnath.

Kud is a stopover enroute to Srinagar from Jammu and is famous for its sweets; actually just one type of sweet - the pedha.

Batote is a detour from the highway and falls enroute only if you are on your way to Doda, Kishtwar or Bhaderwah. (Incidentally, Bhaderwah is a must see. I found it more beautiful and quaint than Gulmarg or Pahalgam. For reference, watch the film 'Noorie'. It was shot there).

@Kunalsb, what is the name of the village that you have captured?
There are old and ancient temples in a place known as MARTAND have you heard about them, there are stories behind them.
Old 12th May 2011, 13:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

Amazing pictures and lovelier angles I must admit to capture them the way they have been captured,that too with a Kodak easyshare.
Old 12th May 2011, 14:16   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
There are old and ancient temples in a place known as MARTAND have you heard about them, there are stories behind them.
No. I don't think I have heard about that one. ANy idea where it is? Its possible I may have visited but have forgotten the name.
Old 13th May 2011, 12:05   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
No. I don't think I have heard about that one. ANy idea where it is? Its possible I may have visited but have forgotten the name.
Martand Sun temple is located in Anantnag in J&K.
Old 13th May 2011, 21:31   #52
BHPian

Quote:
The temple in Martand (known as Matan in Kashmiri) is actually a Sun Temple build by king Lalitaditya (Lalitaditya was a Kshatriya of Surya dynasty) in Middle of 8th century AD. The architecture and style of the Martand Sun temple is supposed to be amongst the rare ones in the world.

The temple is built of hard and square Limestone with a specific exhibition of somewhat Greek pattern. The temple is situated on top of a Plateau very next to the newly built shrine and temple near the two speings Vimal and Kamal Kund.

Overall, this is one of the beautiful architectures that must be Visited incase you are Visiting Phalgam.

The Place is at a very short distance from Anantnag or Khanabal (that you come across while traveling to Srinagar after entering Valley).

I must also add that there are two more such ruins that you can easily Visit/Observe/see while you travel to Srinagar as they are located exactly on the Highway.

There are 2 temple ruins in Awantipora located within a distance of 1 KM. When going to Srinagar from Jammu, these temples fall on the right side (about 30 KM before Srinagar). One of the temples is a Vaishnava temple built by King Awantivarman (that’s how the place got its name Awantipora) somewhere close to 855 AD. This temple is built on a 2 tire base in the centre of a paved Courtyard. The entrance to the temple is located in the middle of the west wall approached by a flight of steps. Walls are sculptured with designs of Gods Layout of this Vaishnav temple is almost similar to the Martand Sun temple.
Would love to see people uploading pictures of these temples next time they Visit Srinagar/Kargil/Ladakh.
Old 13th May 2011, 22:08   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteyogi View Post
Yeah Kunal, what is the name of this cute village? I will look up on Google Earth. I guess, that's the easiest way to feed my fascination instantly!
And... Great photos! Great captures. Are you still posted in Kashmir by any chance?

Cheers,
Sorry, due to professional reasons I cannot disclose the location & hence have named it as an 'unknown village'.
I have finished my tenure & am in Bhopal.
kunalsb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 22:59   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunalsb View Post
Sorry, due to professional reasons I cannot disclose the location & hence have named it as an 'unknown village'.
I have finished my tenure & am in Bhopal.
not a problem. i understand. no worries. I just wish I could experience what you did though I do not belong to military!
Old 15th May 2011, 09:47   #55
BHPian

Hats off, sir.
You are absolutely right in saying that Kashmir can give Switzerland a run for its money. Even POK is very beautiful. Had received some images in a forwarded email and they were just mesmerizing.
Old 11th June 2011, 15:42   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Boss, around the year 1966 our whole family had gone to kashmir by road in our mark2 Amby from Mahim our old home.
My dad drove single handedly throughout , I was in 6th standard that time ,12 yrs old boy.
We went by Nashik, indore, gwalior,shivpuri,agra,delhi route.
My dad had a close friend in mumbai whose father was a retired person staying all alone in a small house on jammu pehelgam road , I am not sure,
The name of the village is MUTTAN. if any one is aware of this village plss tell more about this village as of now.
He had his own small mechnism operated by flow of a small water stream near his home for grinding wheat, etc .
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunalsb View Post
That's really some trip! Can you be more specific as to the location of the village? Are you sure about the name? Also let me know if you crossed Ramban?
Many houses have water operated mills for grinding maize.

Thanks. We had an old & faithful Kodak Easyshare. Sorry, I do not recall the model no.
The Village Mr Iqbal is referring to is MATTAN in Anantnag district and still exists.
Old 11th June 2011, 18:25   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junniaga View Post
The Village Mr Iqbal is referring to is MATTAN in Anantnag district and still exists.
Thanks a million boss, aap ne poorani yaad taza kar di, I am 57 now and I was 12 when we had gone to MATTAN in 1966 in our new Amby mark 2. MRZ 3129.. It was a very small peaceful village then , dont know about NOW. Regards......

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 11th June 2011 at 18:26.

Most Viewed