Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2011, 23:30   #1
BHPian

An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir

During the course of my postings, I got an opportunity to serve in Jammu & Kashmir. I was located at a tiny village located on the fringes of Reasi & Rajouri. Clean air to breathe, witnessing nature in its full bounty every day, one cannot ask for more.

The only problem is that this place is inaccessible throughout the year. There is no rd connectivity & the nearest road will require you to lug for 6-7 hours through mountains. Very few people live here and are still living in a primitive era. There is no electricity, no medical facilities, and no schools but surprisingly, of late, these peoples have started using mobile phones (an example how mobile phones have ingressed into our lives). Their main occupation is agriculture (Maize cultivation) and barter system is still very prevalent. A family (consists of 7-8children on an average) can sustain itself on as low as Rs.1000/- a month. I got a shock of my life when I met an old lady who did not know what a bicycle is!

Slowly the wheels of development are churning and there are plans to provide road connectivity to these villages. There is not much to write about this place so I put my pen to rest & have included best shots I could muster.

How little do we realize that the roads that we casually tread on can lighten up the lives of many such people?

Snow abound- My home for 30 months
An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir-s1.jpg
An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir-s2.jpg
An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir-s3.jpg
An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir-s4.jpg
An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir-s5.jpg

Cricket crazy In the picture below, we used to play cricket on the flat patch of ground next to the lone tree. Minus four runs & a penalty of Rs.50/- was awarded for every six hit, as the ball used to be lost forever!

An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir-s6.jpg
An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir-s7.jpg
An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir-s8.jpg
An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir-s9.jpg

Lone tree
An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir-lone-tree.jpg

Shades of the sun
An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir-sr1.jpg
An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir-sr2.jpg
An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir-ss1.jpg
An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir-ss2.jpg
An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir-ss3.jpg
An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir-ss4.jpg
Attachment 541287

Food for thought Glancing through the photos, one can appreciate the beauty of this place. There are numerous such places in Jammu & Kashmir which, according to me, can even give Switzerland a run for money. Unfortunately the current political situation has made these places inaccessible to the common man. Let’s just hope that there comes a day soon when peace will return and the pristine beauty of these places is available for all to enjoy.

Wild flowers
An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir-fl1.jpg
kunalsb is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th May 2011, 00:45   #2
BHPian

Re: An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir

Just one word "magnificent" or "magical" it is. Or its rather "marvelous". Well whatever it is, i dont think it will be fair to describe it in the limitaion of literary adjectives. I have already rated the thread a 5 star. I am sure you know the hardships, but from pics, looks like I can only dream to stay in a place like this.
Old 8th May 2011, 03:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Amazing pictures.

When I got married we wanted to go to Kashmir for our honeymoon, but could not.

You are helping me think again about it.
Old 8th May 2011, 04:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wow. Gorgeous. This is what this forum surprises me with. The kind of places people visit. WHo knew such a place existed.

Nice to read about it. How do people charge their cell phones? Are you in the army? Asking as my brother has got in and my family is confused. Would be great help if you cleared my air.
Old 8th May 2011, 06:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant shots. The beauty of nature is just spectacular in these parts! We want more!
Old 8th May 2011, 08:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ohh boy, this is just awesome. I dont even know if i will ever get a chance to see this particular place but is getting me excited enough to plan for some J&K trip.

Thank you, this thread has created a lot of excitement in me.

Quick question not sure if this is the right place, when do we usually see snow in J&K and what places are safe?
Old 8th May 2011, 08:49   #7
BHPian

Fabulous !!!!
Waiting for more pictures & very anxious to know about the place.

regards
Sree
Old 8th May 2011, 08:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Amazing pictures.

When I got married we wanted to go to Kashmir for our honeymoon, but could not.

You are helping me think again about it.
Yes, you should definitely go. Kashmir has become much more safer than it used to be (avoid election time & try to go with a group/tour).
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Wow. Gorgeous. This is what this forum surprises me with. The kind of places people visit. WHo knew such a place existed.

Nice to read about it. How do people charge their cell phones? Are you in the army? Asking as my brother has got in and my family is confused. Would be great help if you cleared my air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Ohh boy, this is just awesome. I dont even know if i will ever get a chance to see this particular place but is getting me excited enough to plan for some J&K trip.

Thank you, this thread has created a lot of excitement in me.

Quick question not sure if this is the right place, when do we usually see snow in J&K and what places are safe?
1. You will see lots of snow in winters. This place was covered with snow right from Nov-Mar. Also with the ever changing climate it snows at times during the monsoon too.
2. Kashmir is a lot safer with great tourist facilities than it used to be. One suggestion though, go with a group/ tour operator. I'll recommend Kesari Tours (very professional, slightly expensive), located in Mumbai.
1. Army posts have generators, so people charge their mobiles there. Also all kinds of handheld/ solar chargers(China made) are available.
2. Network coverage is very limited. In this area, network coverage is only on the ridge tops & one has to climb all the way up to call.
A shocker - Pakistan networks have better coverage here than ours!
3. Yes, I'm in the Army & no need to worry about your brother, it's a good organisation & he'll be all right.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th May 2011 at 10:03.
Old 8th May 2011, 09:43   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Truely said J&K can rival Switzerland only if we are able to showcase it. Just imagining living without electricity is mind boggling these days. How were the summers?
Old 8th May 2011, 09:52   #10
Team-BHP Support

And the place where you played is definitely:
World's Highest Playground!

(Well at least highest Cricket Playground for sure!)
And I also the penalty terms!
Old 8th May 2011, 10:14   #11
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic experience must be to be in a remote place like this. Lovely captures and waiting for more to come.

I see cables on that snow covered dry tree. What are those for?
Old 8th May 2011, 10:20   #12
BHPian

Kunal Saab,

Thank you for sharing some gems from the Heaven on Earth

From childhood I always wanted to visit Kashmir and finally my dream came true when I managed to go on a Ladakh trip returning via Kargil, Batalik & Srinagar.

I still remember those 3.5 hours that we spent on a Shikara in the Dal lake and it was pure bliss.

You are absolutely right, the pristine beauty of Kashmir will surely give Switzerland a run for it's money! Got some glimpses of that while we drove via Sonamarg. Hopefully I'll be coming back for more later this year.

Finally Thank You for serving our nation in those icy confines and guarding this Heaven for us. We salute you & your comrades for giving your today for our tomorrow.
Old 8th May 2011, 10:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Fantastic experience must be to be in a remote place like this. Lovely captures and waiting for more to come.

I see cables on that snow covered dry tree. What are those for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Truely said J&K can rival Switzerland only if we are able to showcase it. Just imagining living without electricity is mind boggling these days. How were the summers?
1. Yes, it was a very good experience. The cables on the trees are signal cables, for joining our internal telephones (the old magneto ones, rotate the crank to speak).
2. Summers are quite hot (up to 34C)& water is scarce (springs being the only source of water).
3. Regarding electricity, we need to have low cost renewable energy projects (micro hydel generators, solar panels etc.) as there is no dearth of natural resources here.
Old 8th May 2011, 10:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Amazing pics Kunal. The place is indeed heaven on earth. Glad to know that the situation in Kashmir is improving. Please do post some pics of the locals, and their daily life. Thank you for sharing these images.
Old 8th May 2011, 11:25   #15
BHPian

Some additional photos spiced with local flavour

Onset of monsoons
An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir-m1.jpg
An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir-m2.jpg

One God
An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir-m.jpg

The Corner office
An unknown village - Jammu & Kashmir-off.jpg

Rolling clouds