Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2011, 19:51   #1
BHPian

Pune-Bangalore-Goa-Pune (May 2011)

Hi All - I have followed all these threads with great interest over the last 2 weeks as I have been planning a trip on the Pune-Bangalore-Goa-Pune route between May 3rd & May 15th with my family in my BMW 320D. The route between Pune to Bangalore was a no brainer (obviously NH4), but I wanted to have inputs about the travel time and/or other things to take care of enroute.

Started from Pune on 3rd afternoon at 2 pm, stopped for lunch at a highway restaurant 45 kms outside Pune & reached Belgaum at 7 pm just before darkness set in. Encountered a lot of traffic in Maharashtra, but once I crossed over into Karnataka, the road improved substantially & traffic dropped off to less than 40% of what was encountered before. Had booked 2 rooms at Pai Resorts on the highway & had dinner there. It was a decent place & ok for a night's stay. Food was just about average.

Started from Belgaum at 6.20 am and experienced some morning fog for about 30 mins. It was a great drive all the way till the Kamat for a refreshing breakfast break. After that it was a great drive all the way to the outskirts of Bangalore which I reached by about 12.15 noon. Some information which I found very useful on this forum, was about the idiotic morons who drive on the wrong side of a National highway in the fast lane. Being forewarned obviously helped, as I encountered two wheelers, taxis & even a State Transport bus.

From there on, I took the NICE corridor till Mysore road & entered Bangalore thru that route. This stretch took me another 45 mins due to the Metro work & I reached Lavelle Road at 1 pm in time for lunch with my friends. So overall it was a drive time of 10 hours (on the road) from my house in Pune to Lavelle Road in Bangalore, which was far better than I had originally expected. My car computer showed 12.8 kmpl as the mileage & an average speed of 86.7 kms for this leg of the trip. I'm sure that I could have managed a more fuel-efficient run, but this was the first long drive in this car & the ride was amazing.

Plan to leave Bangalore on Monday morning & then take a leisurely drive thru Shimoga (or Mangalore) to Karwar then onward to Goa. Plan to spend 2 nights enroute before reaching Goa & will post more info / pictures on this leg of the trip as it would be more interesting than the drive into Bangalore.

Last edited by GTO : 9th May 2011 at 18:51. Reason: Removing FONT Tags. Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word softwares. It results in a formatting error.
keen.to.know is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed