Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2011, 12:30   #31
BHPian

Re: Tadoba Tiger Resrve - Restarting explorations with a Bang !!

abheekg - have been following your threads for sometime now. am intrigued by the fact that Tadoba remains open during monsoons also. Might be able to plan a trip - can you give me some pointers - best time to visit (when it is not raining so heavily), any tips, etc?

rated 5star for awesome pics, the awareness that you are spreading and also commendable efforts on conservation from your side.

thanks.
Old 5th July 2011, 09:14   #32
BHPian

2-3-4 July 2011 (Trip summary):
Total adventure, superb team work with some amazingly great friends and some fantastic wildlife sightings in awesome weather.

Highlights - Explorer-III (My Tadoba Gypsy) suspension repair in the middle of nowhere with stoneage tools, meeting Jitu ( Exotic Ink Tattoos ) , a Tiger and a Tigress apart from a plethora of other wildlife, awesome weather.

Here's a teaser from this trip:
Tadoba Tiger Resrve - Restarting explorations with a Bang !!-img_8136.jpg

July begins with a bang. Dream sighting of the Telia female on 4 July 2011 morning in Moharli. Notice the rejuvenated ecosystem after a few weeks of rain. With nobody around me to distract the Tigress, I spent almost an hour with her adequately photographing and videographing her. I seem to bump into her in almost every visit. Thank you Jitendra Bhardwaj (JItu) , Sachet Khandeshwar , Sanjay (my guide and driver) and Explorer-III for the excellent company over the last 2 days.

P.S: Dear all: Tadoba will remain very much open this monsoons. No official word on this yet but everyone from the guides to gypsy drivers to hotel owners to forest department officials are saying so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
abheekg - have been following your threads for sometime now. am intrigued by the fact that Tadoba remains open during monsoons also. Might be able to plan a trip - can you give me some pointers - best time to visit (when it is not raining so heavily), any tips, etc?

rated 5star for awesome pics, the awareness that you are spreading and also commendable efforts on conservation from your side.

thanks.
Please call me around 9pm and I will be glad to help you.
Although things can be tough, but experiencing jungles in the rains has got its own charms as you can see from the pic above.

Dr. A Ghosh

Last edited by abheekg : 5th July 2011 at 09:16.
abheekg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 15:51   #33
BHPian

^^DOC! One of the best pics i have seen from you (5*). Absolutely loved it and is my current screensaver. I plan to pop in to TATR sometime early August. Will keep you posted and I hope to catch the Telia tigress this time.
Old 5th July 2011, 16:27   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
^^DOC! One of the best pics i have seen from you (5*). Absolutely loved it and is my current screensaver. I plan to pop in to TATR sometime early August. Will keep you posted and I hope to catch the Telia tigress this time.
Thank you Arun. Let me know your dates atleast 2 weeks in advance and plan for atleast 2 1/2 days or for 5-6 drives to make your trip worth the effort. You can plan during the 15th august extended weekend when we celebrate Wildcats foundation day.

Keep watching. This thread is going to hot up soon. I have a fair bit of idea about the movement of these tadoba tigers and plan similar ambushes !!

Dr. A Ghosh
Old 5th July 2011, 20:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Keep watching. This thread is going to hot up soon. I have a fair bit of idea about the movement of these tadoba tigers and plan similar ambushes !!
Dr. Ghosh,

That shot is sheer beauty, too beautiful!
The relaxed stroll and the monsoon greenery already in Tadoba. I can smell the damp forest in your photograph. Wow!

Looking forward to so much more, through your eyes.

Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 01:16   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Dr. Ghosh,

That shot is sheer beauty, too beautiful!
The relaxed stroll and the monsoon greenery already in Tadoba. I can smell the damp forest in your photograph. Wow!

Looking forward to so much more, through your eyes.

Regards,

Thank you sir.
Here's a follow up shot....

Tadoba Tiger Resrve - Restarting explorations with a Bang !!-img_5630.jpg

She kept on coming looking straight into my eyes.................and we kept on reversing !!

With encounters such as this it is very essential to give space to the animal. The reason she remained with me for so long was that I didn't encroach in her private space and gave her full respect. You can easily ruin your experience if you try to get too close to the animal or stop reversing and let the animal keep on approaching you.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 6th July 2011, 15:54   #37
BHPian

Documenting the future :
Tadoba Tiger Resrve - Restarting explorations with a Bang !!-img_5511edit.jpg

Comparing the stripes of my tigress with that of the Tigress that Subrat seet http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2329443 and Naren Mukherjee Jungle safari--- TATR (Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve) Maharashtra. - Page 6 - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring documented during mid April, I find that both are same.

This may mean that there's good news on the way soon or the Tigress has already delivered. I am going back to Tadoba this weekend to find out.

Dr. A Ghosh

P.S: Thank you Subrat and Narenda for allowing me to use your photographs.

Last edited by abheekg : 6th July 2011 at 15:55.
Old 6th July 2011, 22:19   #38
BHPian

Awesome pics of the telia female with green jungle - superb.
Couple of pics from my Oct 2010 visit to Ranthambhore

getting up after a good cooling in the small waterbody
Tadoba Tiger Resrve - Restarting explorations with a Bang !!-p1030735.jpg

Moving into "tiger grass" - so called because tiger can easily hide in this tall grass.
Tadoba Tiger Resrve - Restarting explorations with a Bang !!-p1030737.jpg

one of my favourite pics - sunkissed tiger grass with majestic stipes going in, almost camouflaged
Tadoba Tiger Resrve - Restarting explorations with a Bang !!-p1030738.jpg
Old 7th July 2011, 02:26   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
Awesome pics of the telia female with green jungle - superb.
Couple of pics from my Oct 2010 visit to Ranthambhore
Great pics Sachin from the point of view of a beginner.
The Tiger going into the grass is especially aesthetic.
It was good talking to you the other evening discussing about your jungle experiences and experiments with your newly acquired DSLR. Expecting you in Tadoba soon.

Dr. A Ghosh
Old 7th July 2011, 11:51   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Great pics Sachin from the point of view of a beginner.
The Tiger going into the grass is especially aesthetic.
It was good talking to you the other evening discussing about your jungle experiences and experiments with your newly acquired DSLR. Expecting you in Tadoba soon.

Dr. A Ghosh
thanks doc. the pleasure was all mine, i will touch base again with Qs and details once itinerary is fixed.

btw - did you get chance to look at the blog? comments?
Old 9th July 2011, 05:28   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you sir.
Here's a follow up shot....

Attachment 572868

She kept on coming looking straight into my eyes.................and we kept on reversing !!

With encounters such as this it is very essential to give space to the animal. The reason she remained with me for so long was that I didn't encroach in her private space and gave her full respect. You can easily ruin your experience if you try to get too close to the animal or stop reversing and let the animal keep on approaching you.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Stunning capture doc. The Greenery around and the King taking a stroll! what a sight!

Slightly OT. The Hindu has this great news about the big cat find at Nagarjunasagar-Srisailam Tiger Reserve! A trap camera has captured images of a tigress and her cubs.
The Hindu : Sci-Tech / Energy & Environment : Tigers feasting on kill boost hopes of population recovery in Andhra reserve
Old 9th July 2011, 13:44   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Stunning capture doc. The Greenery around and the King taking a stroll! what a sight!

Slightly OT. The Hindu has this great news about the big cat find at Nagarjunasagar-Srisailam Tiger Reserve! A trap camera has captured images of a tigress and her cubs.
The Hindu : Sci-Tech / Energy & Environment : Tigers feasting on kill boost hopes of population recovery in Andhra reserve
Thats expected in my opinion. The tiger corridor extends all the way from kanha/bandhavgad in the north through pench - tadoba - kawal- to Nagargunsagar-Srisalam- to bandhpur-madumalai-kabini and beyond.

My friend doing his PHd thesis on genetic diversity of tigers has found gene flow from north to south.

But this particular find may be of a Tiger just passing through the area. Lets hope this record is of a resident and not of a straggler.

Here's one more pic of Tiger in the greens.....

Looking back amidst greenery all around
Tadoba Tiger Resrve - Restarting explorations with a Bang !!-looking-back.jpg

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

P.S: There's a Team bhp meet planned in Tadoba on 13-14-15 August. Anybody who wants to join the pan indian group of wildlife enthusiasts is warnly invited. Here's the meet link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...r-reserve.html and the facebook event link Log In | Facebook

Be there....
Tadoba Tiger Resrve - Restarting explorations with a Bang !!-img_8136foundation-day.jpg
Old 13th July 2011, 12:39   #43
BHPian

Here's today's installment

The First flight of the Paradise Flycatcher chick - A habitat shot
Tadoba Tiger Resrve - Restarting explorations with a Bang !!-img_8601inw.jpg

While it seems delightful to photograph nesting birds and chicks, utmost care has to be taken to ensure that you don't end up disturbing the nesting site. This pic was taken from a distance of about 50 feet.

I have been observing this particular nest and family over the last 4 weeks (courtship to hatching) and could gather a lot of information on their behaviour.

The nests are cone-shaped, and built with fine roots, fibre and small leaves, compacted with cobwebs. The cobweb affords a most important building material to bird masons; it is their cement. Nests are built in shady undisturbed sites, away from the road. Nests take about seven days to be built. Females lay 3–4 pinkish white eggs. The mean incubation period is 15 ± 1 days, and the nestling period is 13–14 days.

Other interesting images of this family to follow.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 14th July 2011, 11:50   #44
BHPian

A close encounter from last Sunday....
Tadoba Tiger Resrve - Restarting explorations with a Bang !!-tiger-n-bean-bag.jpg

Our Bean bag fell off from our vehicle and Tigress went on to investigate.
Will post follow up shots soon.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

P.S: By the way we retrieved the bag and it is our most prized possession now.
Old 14th July 2011, 12:38   #45
Senior - BHPian

Wow that is a interesting picture :-)

Have man-tiger conflict (including attacks) come down in Tadoba in the recent months?

Most Viewed