Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2011, 14:51   #1
BHPian

Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites

Sinhgarh, Its a fort in Sahayadri hills located at a distance of 30 KM from Pune city which is at an altitude of 800 meters above the Pune city.This place is all time favorite place for puneities as its close to the city and you can make it in just 1 hr from the city and you will be in a peaceful area surrounded by natural beauty, the mountain, the trees green and the water.

It is located southwards of Pune city and can be approached from Highway as well as from the city.I took the route from the highway as I stay in Pimple Saudagar however last year I went through Swargate area.It was friendship day and as well as a sun day and hence I and my wife thought of spending the day in rain and the best option I could thought of was to go to Sinhgarh.I had my breakfast and grabbed my bike key and went to the parking lot of my building, I zip up my jerk-in, pressed the self start switch that provided the spark to ignite the fuel and the wheels rolled out towards the fort.

Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-100_0033.jpg
Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-100_0037.jpg
Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-100_0040.jpg

It was drizzling but still we had to move slowly in the left side of the highway as trucks and other four wheelers were crossing us with high speed.After driving for around 20 KM in highway ,I reached Sinhgarh road which straight took us to the fort.On the way there is dam called Khadagwasla which was full of water.The dam was covered by the mountain at one end and the other by the road ... people stopped by and were enjoying walking on the dam side with corn and tea.

Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-100_0041.jpg
Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-100_0042.jpg
Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-100_0043.jpg
Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-100_0047.jpg

We stopped for a while in the dam and spent some time.After having a cup of tea we headed for the fort however we stopped once more to capture some breathtaking photos.Local people were selling corn, some tea and some were fishing, we borrowed their fishing rod to take some pictures.

Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-100_0079.jpg
Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-100_0382.jpg
Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-100_0391.jpg
Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-100_0399.jpg

After spending some time and taking pictures, We went straight to Sinhgarh but when we reached the basement of the hill we found it is overcrowded since it was a friendship that to in Sunday. Well anyway we had to move very slowly because of the crowd.The crowd slowly dispersed as we approached the hill and then after crossing a few kilometers there were not much and we started enjoying the beauty surrounded by... oh its awesome... green, mountains, trees , rain nothing was missing we felt complete for making such good decision to come to Sinhgarh.We just forgot everything and were in a different hassle free .tension free world :-)...We stayed in between for a tea break and resumed the drive.

Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-100_0408.jpg
Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-100_0414.jpg

The hill was around 12.5 km to cross and finally we reached in Sinhgarh, parked my bike and went to the fort... it was packed.. you have people all around you. we went inside the fort sat silently for an hour.. we talked a lot .. we walked a lot. I always loved to walk. There were lots of small water fall in the fort, lots of option to eat things like kulfi, chai, kanda bhaji,boiled peanuts...etc.

Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-100_0424.jpg
Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-100_0446.jpg
Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-100_0449.jpg

After spening couple of hours, when we finally felt we need to fill our stomach, we went to a near by hotel and had pithla and bhakri which tested too good. Actually its not a hotel, its a sort of home made.Yes now its time to go...we just could not imagine how fast the time went.. it was alrady 4'O clock and we had to leave now.

If you want to know why the name of the fort is so go ahead and read below...

[extract taken from Battle of Sinhgarh ]

One of the most famous battles for Sinhagad was fought to recapture the fort by Tanaji Malusare, a general of Shivaji in March 1670. A steep cliff leading to the fort was scaled with the help of a monitor lizard, colloquially known as a ghorpad. Thereafter, there ensued fierce battles between Tanaji and his men, and the fortkeeper Udaybhan Rathod and his army. Tanaji lost his life, but his brother Suryaji took over and captured Kondana.
Upon hearing of Tanaji's death, Shivaji expressed his remorse with the words: "Gad aala pan sinha gela" - "We gained the fort, but lost the lion". In honor of Tanaji's death, the fort was renamed as Sinhagad. A bust of Tanaji has been established on the fort in memory of his contribution to the battle.
Old 14th May 2011, 17:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Sinhgarh... Alltime favourite weekend trip for puneites

For anyone who's grown up/stayed up in Pune, Sihngad is probably the 1st place that comes to mind for a quick trip. (and then Panshet, Mulshi etc)

I've lost count of how many times I've gone there throughout my life; on a 2-wheeler, by car and even trek up there.

The final 2 turns were always a test of how capable the engine was; when I was a kid I had immense pride in our Kinetic as the trusty old thing never broke down!

Wonderful place!

Make another trip some time; park your ride at the foothills and trek to the fort. It's just as fun!

PS : Probably since it was raining, you might not have found this; the curd the locals sell there in the small earthen pot is sinful; zuntka-bhakar (pithla-bhakri) comes a close second.

PPS : It is Khadakwasla Dam.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 14th May 2011 at 17:31.
Old 14th May 2011, 17:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

I always remember Sinhgad for my first accident at first u turn while descending.

Bal bal bach gaya tha!!

Pithala-bhakri and buttermilk is too good at that place.

The place for team-bhp meet!!!

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 14th May 2011 at 17:32.
Old 14th May 2011, 18:41   #4
BHPian

@libranof1987: Even I have been to that place many times... In summer, monsoon,winter, morning, evening, bike , trek and car. But the best time is the monsoon and during early morning time by the trek path and have curd severed in earthen pot... followed by Bhkri -pithla- baigan bharta....

In fact I have some of my freinds they visit the place every weekend.

About the other places, I have been to Mulshi but not Panshet.
Old 15th May 2011, 20:50   #5
BHPian

Remember this fort well from my days in NDA. The fastest I could manage from NDA to the fort and back was 4:30. But I was younger then and a cadet in NDA!
Old 15th May 2011, 21:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Remember this fort well from my days in NDA. The fastest I could manage from NDA to the fort and back was 4:30. But I was younger then and a cadet in NDA!
I have seen army cadets there in group. They have to complete it by 5 hours and I think they exercise it every Sunday.
Old 17th May 2011, 21:07   #7
BHPian

Re: Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites

^^ Abis, the cadets are not just Army cadets since the NDA is a tri-service institution. The uniform for all the cadets is the same which is probably why the general impression of the NDA being an Army institution.
Old 29th March 2024, 00:08   #8
BHPian

Re: Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites

Some Photos of Sinhgad Fort I took last week

Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-img_4161.jpeg

Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-img_4141.jpeg

Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-img_4136.jpeg

Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-img_4152.jpeg

Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-img_4090.jpeg

Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-img_4093.jpeg

Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-img_4147.jpeg

Sinhgarh - Alltime favourite weekend trip for Pune'ites-img_4157.jpeg