Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2011, 16:09   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Last-minute Ladakh: My early summer travelogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
Please provide more information about the total cost of this tour and what all was included in this package. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics, my favorite is the last one with the Tricolor, literally gave me goose bumps. Giving my first ever 5 star rating. Truly deserving.
Thanks, Sami! I have shared the package link in my previous post. From Mumbai it cost us about 65K for a couple: airfare, hotel, Ladakh conveyance, all entry fees/permit charges and 2 meals/day included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Amazing images as usual Noopster. Thanks for sharing. This has made Ladakh one of my must visit destinations. Also, a remote dream that I will drive there some day.
Why is it a remote dream? Have already "inspired" a few people in my family and office to go there themselves. It's cheaper than a vacation in Europe which is par for the course these days. And the flight connectivity is wonderful. Please go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Quietly slipped away eh ?
Huh? I told you about the planned trip when we met up- you told me not to forget the Diamox remember?
Quote:
Delightful travelogue, amazing snaps...made for a wonderful read !
Only piece missing was that you didn't drive to that place in Fraulein. (Ai yayi yayeee - that sentence doesn't quite seem right !)
Yup- but Herr Qualis more than made up for it! You need a rough-roader in Ladakh: the Fraulein would have NOT had a good time there.

Quote:
Will naturally have a few Q's to ask - all in good time though - as have been planning a dream drive in my vehicle for the last couple of years - almost went there in 2009. Missed the group driving there by a whisker thanks to silly things in life like work !
Sure, anytime! Will give you some first-hand dope when we meet inshallah soon.

Quote:
Bravo dear chap !

PS: The thread truly deserves the rating I gave it - 5* !
OK this is a dumb question : how do I check what people have rated my thread? Is there a dashboard somewhere?
Old 20th May 2011, 16:28   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Huh? I told you about the planned trip when we met up- you told me not to forget the Diamox remember?
Damn ! I must be getting old...but I plum forgot that conversation. And I remember now asking you as to whether you were driving or not etc - just before the old lady arrived with the merry shotgun ! Got it...
Quote:
Yup- but Herr Qualis more than made up for it! You need a rough-roader in Ladakh: the Fraulein would have NOT had a good time there.
Well folks have done it in the Matiz and M800 and the lightweights are a delight there I was told because of the nimble footedness. But OK then you are very protective of the Fraulein.
Quote:
Sure, anytime! Will give you some first-hand dope when we meet inshallah soon.
Thank you mon ami !

Quote:
OK this is a dumb question : how do I check what people have rated my thread? Is there a dashboard somewhere?
I think not - or at least I haven't discovered it - but you place the cursor on the stars of the thread at the threads listing zone you get the statistics of votes.
Guess the dash won't be there - to protect the people who don't vote or give lousy ratings !!!
Old 20th May 2011, 16:44   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Ahh thanks Herr General! 4 votes, average 5*. My blushes!
Old 26th May 2011, 18:23   #49
BHPian

Excellent Pics...loved them all. But one of the pics of that lake that took my heart apart...what a view it cud be at nights. Simply outstanding.

Can you just tell us how much cost is involved (per person) including everything...air fares, accomodation...travel guides and vehicles....??

Do you suggest physically challenged persons to take this out of the world experience ??

Can we do it..if yes...what are the steps taken to ensure hassle free trip ??
Old 26th May 2011, 19:15   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanyd1711 View Post
Excellent Pics...loved them all. But one of the pics of that lake that took my heart apart...what a view it cud be at nights. Simply outstanding.
Thank you! Pangong-Tso is quite simply the most beautiful place I have seen in my life. I doubt you can spend the night there though- it will probably be too cold and blustery.

Quote:
Can you just tell us how much cost is involved (per person) including everything...air fares, accomodation...travel guides and vehicles....??
Already answered, couple of posts up. Makemytrip quoted around 36K at first then rbought it down with discounts etc.: I ended up paying about 33K per head.

Quote:
Do you suggest physically challenged persons to take this out of the world experience ??
In what sense? If you mean a person who has a limb or two missing but is otherwise in fine health, why not? I wold certainly not advise it for people who have heart problems, respiratory problems or who suffer from fear of heights.

Quote:
Can we do it..if yes...what are the steps taken to ensure hassle free trip ??
Even for people in good health, do not spend more time than necessary at high altitudes (>15,000 ft) and while there, don't indulge in even moderately strenuous activity. Stay still, drink plenty of liquids and you should be fine.
Old 26th May 2011, 19:34   #51
BHPian

WOO.... So nicely accounted . Least to say Beautiful pictures of one of the most beautiful parts in the world .
Looking at the pics I get a feeling of to prepone my Ladakh trip (originally planned for 13Aug-4Sep) .

Beautiful account of the beautiful place .

BTW , you won from Swanand on the TL

Last edited by jealousdiamond : 26th May 2011 at 19:35.
Old 26th May 2011, 23:07   #52
BHPian

Excellent report Anoop. Thanks for sharing. You are a gifted writer. Rating it 5 stars!!

A year back, I saw my friends photo-logue of his tour to Ladakh on his own Bajaj Pulsar bike along with few friends. His wife being the pillion rider. ( They sent their bike to Chandigarh from B'lore, did their trip of some 1500-2000 Kilos and sent it back from Udhampur to B'lore) what an adventure! while showing me the photos, they repeated at-least 10 times about how much they would like to do that bike tour again.
That's also now on my To-do-list-before-I-die.
Old 27th May 2011, 14:11   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
WOO.... So nicely accounted . Least to say Beautiful pictures of one of the most beautiful parts in the world .
Looking at the pics I get a feeling of to prepone my Ladakh trip (originally planned for 13Aug-4Sep) .

Beautiful account of the beautiful place .
Thanks Pankaj. Can't wait for your own TL. Are you taking the Safari by any chance?

Quote:
BTW , you won from Swanand on the TL
Bah. You call that contest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzy View Post
Excellent report Anoop. Thanks for sharing. You are a gifted writer. Rating it 5 stars!!

(...)That's also now on my To-do-list-before-I-die.
Hey ritzy where you been man? Work keeping you busy?

Ladakh is definitely on anyone's must-see list. It's not that inaccessible or expensive anymore either. So plan a trip!
Old 27th May 2011, 15:29   #54
Senior - BHPian

Awesome TL noopster, I dont know how I missed this in the last few days.
I guess I will attribute it to bad timing; I am very good at it!

As the others have already mentioned I would love to make this trip. As you have already mentioned it is challenging for under 10s, I will need to find someone in the family to care for my little monster; and convince the monster why he cannot go while he could go to the Alps. Speaking of which; if you need any info about a trip there, feel free to PM me as I am being very lazy in updating my TL (Paris, Black Forest & Switzerland).

Question time for you till then!
About the The Indian Astronomical Observatory (10 hours drive from Leh) - if I am allowed to visit there, are the tour operators willing to tweak dates a bit? If not, have you heard of them doing any tours for people interested in astronomy, like having campsites in the desert?
of course, the sky must be very clear even from Leh!

Last edited by selfdrive : 27th May 2011 at 15:34.
Old 27th May 2011, 17:20   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We used Ladakh Safari for the complete trip and they were excellent. We also did Manali - Leh by road which was arranged by them.
Manil - Leh - this season or in past ?
Old 27th May 2011, 17:52   #56
BHPian

Great read and pics.5 star rating. Will read the rest after I return from sea !
Old 27th May 2011, 18:15   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

thanks skipper. bon voyage!
Old 27th May 2011, 18:19   #58
BHPian

Hi Noopster,

Wonderful TL and Congrats for completing the wonderful journey and being back in a safe condition.

I had plans of Leh and Kargil, starting the first week of May. Unfortunately, my partner got seriously ill and we had to return the next day :(

We made it up by going to Goa - but nothing beats Ladakh.

I want to go back there again - this time with more preparation and planning.
Old 27th May 2011, 20:33   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

sandip mate, so sorry to hear about your partner how is he or she now? was the illness caused by the altitude or some other reason? sincerely hope you are able to complete your trip some time soon
Old 28th May 2011, 07:37   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Question time for you till then!
About the The Indian Astronomical Observatory (10 hours drive from Leh) - if I am allowed to visit there, are the tour operators willing to tweak dates a bit? If not, have you heard of them doing any tours for people interested in astronomy, like having campsites in the desert?
of course, the sky must be very clear even from Leh!
Hi selfdrive, missed your post somehow earlier.

Most tour operators keep one day free in the itinerary (apart from the acclimatisation day I mean) so that guests can do their own thing. They are more than willing to help you plan it. For us it was the day before we departed, after 3 days of the high passes and Pangong Tso, so we were in a mood to relax- all we did was walk down to the market, do some shopping for the folks back home and chill (literally, it snowed that day though otherwise sunny!) An intrepid couple with us rented a bike (650/- for the day) and rode up to Lamayuru- they said it was lovely. Normally people do river rafting but we went too early on and the snows hadn't melted completely, so that was not an option. Am sure you can do the observatory trip as well. 10 hours one way seems like a lot, though. We got used to being in the car for 8 or more hours a day- that's Ladakh for you!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks