Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:06   #1
BHPian

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring

This trip is actually a culmination of something which started 8 years back. So I would like mention a few highlights before getting into the trip itself.

Year 2003 - 5 days before the commencement of the MBA course , I checked in to the hostel. After admission formalities and advices from Mom, I was left alone in the hostel. Most of the rooms were empty as freshers hostel was a part of the college building itself.

Evening picked up a diet coke from the canteen and wandered through the college campus in search of the football ground and I noted a group of 5 girls with distinct north east features. Noted two of them one looked like a small kid and other looked a little lost

Day Four eve - Found out some footie fanatics and went to the ground for a game. While passing through the basket ball court noticed , the lost girl shooting 3 pointers with amazing ease. She looked around 5'2" but amazing shooting accuracy

Fast forward 4 months - As part of the curriculum , we had an adventure trip in munnar. Being from a Military background and doing trekks from age 13 , I was amazed when the lost girl matched me step to step on difficult paths.

Fast forward 7 years - Finally both parents consented for our marriage. And I was to fly to Shillong for a ring exchange and marriage to be in Kerala

So May 2010 - Boarded Spice Jet flight to Guwahati through Kolkatta.
Was hoping for my fiancee to pick me up from the airport, but to my surprise it was the future Father in Law who turned up

The Car travelled through boring road construction sites of Guwahati and I dozed off...Awoke with a chilling breeze and WOW, what a change of scenery - It was green all around

A Teaser PIC
Attached Thumbnails
From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101776.jpg  

Last edited by JoeMichael : 23rd May 2011 at 15:17. Reason: Gramamtic error
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:20   #2
BHPian

Re: From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring

I think a photologue would do more justice to this beautiful land..So less talk more pics

To Shillong Peak
Attached Thumbnails
From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-090520101290.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-090520101301.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-090520101307.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-090520101308.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-090520101352.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-090520101302.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2011, 15:21   #3
BHPian

The teaser is just awesome !

Keep it coming. I am glued onto this thread. But going by the thread subject, I was expecting a drive from Bangalore to Shillong :P
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:32   #4
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd May 2011 at 16:06.
YaeJay is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:50   #5
BHPian

You've just turned me into a curious little girl. Eyes all wide. Twirling my hair-braids. Tell me tell me. I've subscribed and I'm all ears.
Old 23rd May 2011, 16:07   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi!

I've temporarily moved your thread to the Assembly Line Section (More Information about this sub-forum).

To prevent this thread from becoming a spam fest (by other members), it's best for you to complete your report first. Please edit the opening post and update your thread. You have the ability to EDIT your post over an indefinite period of time; add more attachments / content / posts to your work-in-progress review thread at your own pace.

Once your thread is complete, you may report the post, and a Team-BHP Moderator will move your thread out to the public forum.

NOTE : After your thread has been taken public, you are permitted to bump it up once to bring it amongst the new post listings.

Thanks for the support!
Old 23rd May 2011, 16:46   #7
BHPian

Any Trip to Shilllong is incomplete without visiting Cherrapunjee
Attached Thumbnails
From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-090520101366.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-090520101429.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-090520101436.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-090520101459.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101564.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101582.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101585.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101588.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101601.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101620.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101634.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101642.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101660.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101668.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101685.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101689.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101715.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101730.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101777.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101787.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101818.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101825.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101842.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101851.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2011, 16:51   #8
BHPian

Some City Sights....
Attached Thumbnails
From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-090520101258.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-090520101259.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-090520101260.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-090520101268.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-090520101272.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-090520101486.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101541.jpg  

From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-100520101558.jpg  

Old 30th May 2011, 11:40   #9
BHPian

I've been to a few hill stations in India and abroad. But there is definitely something unique about Meghalaya. If I ever come across the right word to define that fully will definitely post it here.

Accomodation at Shillong is very cheap. There are plenty of budget to luxury hotels across the place.

Other than the enchanting beauty all around , one thing which will make you want to come back for more is a simple four letter word. F.O.O.D
This is a non-veg's paradise. Especially the pork here is just awesome. If you ever travel to Shillong , try DohKhleh and Jadoh. DohKhleh is made from head and brains and Jadoh is spicy rice cooked in blood. And the best place to taste these are at local roadside eateries collective called Kong's Teashop (Kong = Deedi/Sister). Also the Momos are out of the world. A few roadside vendors near Golf Links make these unbelievable soft and delicious dumplings.

If you want to buy some "branded" clothes or accessories,Police Bazaar is the place to be.And the prices are highly , hugely , enormously, Gargantuanly negotiable !!!

The city sleeps by 8. I was staying at Hotel Yalana right at the heart of the city in Laitumkhrah. But once it is dark, there are absolutely no pedestrians on the road and just an odd motor vehicle breaks the chilly silence once a while. My fiancee had strictly warned me from venturing out after 7 , as miscreants often target non-localites. This comment was re-affirmed by the hotel receptionist

About Traffic

Narrow roads and high vehicle population ensures a perennial bottle neck in the city. Long queues are common sights.
This definitely is Maruti Territory. Though i did see a few i10s, Santros and a rare Beat, they are largely outnumbered by Maruti Suzuki badges. One thing appreciable is the patience of the drivers. No mad honking , no desperate over taking maneuvers , no rude hand gesturing. People mostly follow the flow .

Right Indicator is often if not always a signal to overtake and right turn is forewarned by an Indicator + handsignal combo.

Well finally mission accomplished and I got engaged - Next thread "Driving through wilderness to get married"
Attached Thumbnails
From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by JoeMichael : 7th June 2011 at 10:53.
Old 9th June 2011, 11:57   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 9th June 2011, 12:42   #11
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 10th June 2011 at 12:06.
creative420 is online now   Received Infraction
Old 9th June 2011, 13:13   #12
Team-BHP Support

How come you did not try out the Momos at Laitu, considering that you were staying there? There are some real nice Momo joints in Laitu. Also, the Chinese joint in PB, I have forgotten the name but it has changed its name from what it was earlier, is just heavenly in terms of their food though the place looks extremely dark and dingy.

By the way, if you have not yet tried out Rikvinjai (pronounced Ri Kynjai) on the other side of Badapani (Umiam Lake) then I suggest that you do give it a visit the next time. It is an experience you will not forget in a hurry. And if you happen to go there on a bleary, cold and cloudy day well.... you will enjoy it all the more.
Old 9th June 2011, 17:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Cherra is mind blowing place!!! I was posted in Assam Rifles - which has HQ in Shillong - in late eighties and had numerous visits to Shillong. In 2008, i did a trip again to north east with wifey. Shillong still retain the old world charm.

If you are going to Cherra, dont miss to drive to Cherrapunjee holiday resort. The drive of fifteen KMs is just mind blowing. Also, if you can stay there, you can trek to unique "Living root bridges".

Ryan, my good firend who runs this small home stay is a southie married to Khasi - like Joe - and settled down in Cherra and will provide all the help. He was the guy who discovered these bridges.

Check out his website for details

cherrapunjee.com
Old 9th June 2011, 18:00   #14
BHPian

Yup Zappo - If I were to mention all the places were I had wonderful Momos in Shillong , I guess this will be an unbelievably long write-up. One place was a tibetan restaurant close to fire brigade , forgot the name.

@Fauji - with a Khasi as a guide,wouldn't have missed Ri Kynjai :-). Couldn't stay at Cherra resorts.But have already made arrangements for this year's visit.

One advantage of marrying a Khasi , is guaranteed lifelong free food and accomodation for annual picnic to one of the most beautiful places on earth
Old 9th June 2011, 21:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichael View Post
@Fauji - with a Khasi as a guide,wouldn't have missed Ri Kynjai :-). Couldn't stay at Cherra resorts.But have already made arrangements for this year's visit.

One advantage of marrying a Khasi , is guaranteed lifelong free food and accomodation for annual picnic to one of the most beautiful places on earth
Ri Kynjai is a beautiful resort. Their service was awful and hope thye have improved now. Yes, Joe, you will have gala time with your folks in Meghalaya

Where are the pics of water falls in Cherra? When we went it was in Dec and ther was hardly much water. Here is the picture.
From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-cherapunjiwater-fallsworlds-fourth-highest-water-falls.jpg

This is the picture of sun rise in Ri Kynjai from the balcony of our room!
From Bangalore to Shillong with an engagement ring-dawn-5.30-am-view-hotel-room-shillong.jpg

Last edited by Fauji : 9th June 2011 at 21:52.

Most Viewed