Team-BHP - Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/101874-self-drive-expedition-travel-ladakh-cold-desert-changthang-off-season-oct-10-a-15.html)

Very sorry Mr Sinha as was not able to follow the forum for a month as was on a travel in Zanskar and Kashmir.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.sinha (Post 2534740)
adc, I think this is one of the most beautifully composed photos I have seen. They say every photo needs to tell a story, and this photo indeed tells a great story. I am curious to know your thought process when you composed this snap.

Thank you so much for the compliments, but it was just a immediate moment shot, just liked the silhouette with the sun rays filtering through and lighting up a dark stairway. Son went up to find what was that side and for that split second that image immediately made me click. And sure it is one of our favourite shots.

Quote:

Your travelogues (I have pretty much read all of them) are out of the world anyway. I am eager to hook up with you and take your advice on the many trips that I plan to do during the next few years. Hopefully we can meet in 2012 when I am in Kolkata.

Reiterating a 5-star for this thread too.

Thanks again. It was one great trip and may we dare say that this October holiday trip to remote Kashmir areas and Zanskar just may have edged out even a LAdakh trip though the Demchok travel to LAC of India-China is still one of the best driving journeys ever done by us. But again, each and every journey done till now [big or small] has been a trip to remember.

Please do let me know when you come, it would be a pleasure to meet up.

Wow! Such an adventurous (solo driving) trip with family, esp that kid, in those testing places. Salute your entire family for making such wonderful trip and sharing it here with beautiful narration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adc (Post 2562827)
It was one great trip and may we dare say

Did you carried any medicines? You knew that most of your travel will be to isolated places/times...any precautions from the safety aspect?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surprise (Post 2569322)
Wow! Such an adventurous (solo driving) trip with family, esp that kid, in those testing places.

Thanks much, the "flawless" performance of kid and the Safari VTT-TMT in all the remoteness and the fact that they both enjoy each and every moment with us goes a long way to make our trips most relaxing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surprise (Post 2569936)
Did you carried any medicines? You knew that most of your travel will be to isolated places/times...any precautions from the safety aspect?

Not much, the usual for fever and stomach ailments that wife carried along in a small pouch. Nothing that we needed too.

For heights, wife brings along a homeopathic preparation called Coca 30 but that is finished even before we go into heights as we both, son and me, like the sweet sugar pills like all homeopathic medicines - dont know how much Coca 30 helps in altitude but know that some trekkers use that for such. Anyway luckily we all three dont have much altitude sickness and more or less we carry no medicines for that.

Dear ADC, you are indeed an inspiration to many, and I for one am simply smitten by the beauty of the land, the words that you use to describe it, the pictures to support it, and most importantly your determination, and the support and siprit of your family to accompany you on these simply mesmerizing escapades. Simply stunning and kudus to your family and you for giving people like me the inspiration to travel.

It is almost criminal of me to see this thread so late. Saying good, awesome, brilliant etc are just not enough. You start from where others leave. One day I hope to do Leh and will bug you before going. So when is the next one planned?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senz (Post 2570998)
Dear ADC, you are indeed an inspiration to many, and I for one am simply smitten by the beauty of the land, the words that you use to describe it, the pictures to support it, and most importantly your determination, and the support and siprit of your family to accompany you on these simply mesmerizing escapades. Simply stunning and kudus to your family and you for giving people like me the inspiration to travel.

Senz, thanks much for appreciation. We all three along with the Safari VTT-TMT look forward to any journey as any travel - big or small, is good travel!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team (Post 2571045)
It is almost criminal of me to see this thread so late. Saying good, awesome, brilliant etc are just not enough. You start from where others leave. One day I hope to do Leh and will bug you before going. So when is the next one planned?

Arre Sudipto-da!! just returned from one of the best journeys ever done - of Zanskar and interior Kashmir. No tours for now, work situation is bad as should be if someone is roaming around for a month!

And what a travelogue I just went through of yours of Rajasthan - 5 stars absolutely. Never knew you were into serious birding with serious stuff! Pleasantly surprised.

So here is picture of Himalayan Griffon Vulture [?] as seen by us in interior Kisthwar, J&K.

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-himalayan-griffon-vulture1.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by adc (Post 2572068)
Arre Sudipto-da!! just returned from one of the best journeys ever done - of Zanskar and interior Kashmir.

Interior kashmir:thumbs up....already one guy here is waiting for that travelogue. Its getting mentioned as one of the best trip from you...expectations are high :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surprise (Post 2572073)
Interior kashmir:thumbs up....already one guy here is waiting for that travelogue. Its getting mentioned as one of the best trip from you...expectations are high :)

Bet, Interior Kashmir is what will be travelled much more by all in the days to come. Many a stereotyped ideas will go out of the window - just let me get hold of my work and should begin the travelogue by this month's end.

And I was glad I did not have a GPS - most of the travels done before I did not have a GPS - I feel GPS restricts oneself and in fact I am uncomfortable with it telling me do this, turn right left and what not and also it glows too much in the night! - most of the transport part of a trip is done overnight. Many a unknown places I have made a journey just by asking people around or even waiting a intersection in remote lands for even up to half hour - waiting for a fellow to ask to where that track leads

The interactions that we had with so many unknown wonderful people in so many varied destinations all over Zanskar and interior Kashmir - makes this one of the best journeys till date. We travelled through routes where no tourist has come in the last 18 years, got invitations for tea and lunch from a simple Kashmiri herdsmen to the local panchayat head and even from the top police gentleman of the district - met soldiers eager for a talk in lonely posts buried deep in snow near LOC that we trekked to leaving our VTT for the day - this was a trip where we met no tourists ever all through our travel!

We may be the only travellers till now who have seen places like Lolab, Bangus, Doodthpathri, Bagtore, Kabulgali, Gurez and till now not seen places like the usual Gulmarg and Pahalgam - we skipped those two!!

This was a road trip of a lifetime.

We will all wait for that report. Meanwhile your diagonally panned shot of the flying griffon is a million dollar one. Congratulations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adc (Post 2562827)
Very sorry Mr Sinha as was not able to follow the forum for a month as was on a travel in Zanskar and Kashmir.

Please do let me know when you come, it would be a pleasure to meet up.

Thanks for your response adc. Now eagerly waiting for your Zanskar trip travelogue.

When we meet up in Kolkata (and I'll surely do), the pleasure would be entirely mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adc (Post 2572114)
Bet, Interior Kashmir is what will be travelled much more by all in the days to come. Many a stereotyped ideas will go out of the window - just let me get hold of my work and should begin the travelogue by this month's end.

"month's end" has come and gone past... and still waiting for your Zanskar travelogue !!! At least put some teasers now. please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.sinha (Post 2606877)
"month's end" has come and gone past... and still waiting for your Zanskar travelogue !!! At least put some teasers now. please:

Apologies Mr Sinha, have been infrequent on the forum and also the yahoo email address of mine [will change that] that is given for alerts not being used anymore, missed out on the message.

Anyway have just started on the travelogue. Will be putting up highlight pictures and text. And also hope to meet with you up as and when you are over here in Kolkata.

PS: Dont know why the thread was transferred to some Assembly line or what. Thought of writing it up as the days progressed. Anyway will give you the link once I have completed it somewhere else.

So how does a born "Bulleteer" head off towards Leh from Kolkata for the Zanskar Chadar trek?

By a Royal Enfield Bullet of course!

Royal Enfield, 1968 - it is still there with us and still an everyday ride for my father and also for me - as and when I need that undiluted old style beat!
Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-scan001001ss.jpg

Royal Enfield Electra, 2004
Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00116.jpg

Now why a "born Bulleteer", if there is a term like that!
Getting back to few reminisces from my ownership thread [ Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT-TMT - The Magnificient Tourer ]

Quote:

In my school days I used to stay at Durgapur since both my parents were working out there at the Steel Plant. My father had a Royal Enfield which he bought second hand, in 1968, all gleaming and with real good chrome rims written "Made in England". It had the original Amal carburetor and so by eight I was riding it up and it was a big thing for someone at that age; it has to be - riding a Bullet at class eight.

As it is said, a bullet is bullet and there nothing like that and so never ever gave a thought to the car and it was much that feeling for long. The car experience, early years, was the Ambassador when I learnt driving and also later around class 11-12 - a jeep, a far neighbour uncle's jeep - yeah real willys jeep. Used to take the jeep where electrical high tension pylons were being constructed on the rice fields and their heavy machinery made the dirt road real rough and bumping. Whenever used to get the opportunity would go out there and really loved the way it moved, my first OTR that time. But those were college days, class 11 and 12, though the jeep left an impression, it was still no bullet because then those days in my mind - nothing topped that rebel grind. Just loved the way some parents used to cringe when I took their wards for a ride and hear them quietly say - this bugger, no parent discipline and making our child go with the wrong tide. Well then after 12, 1991, moved out left to other places for studies and thus there came up one big hiatus for my 2 wheeler and 4 wheeler rides.

Haven't even had to try out any other motorcycle till now! Its been a Royal Enfield from class 8 and it still is now that I am almost 40 years old.

I had the Chadar trek planned up suddenly and for the first time I am off to a big ride-trek journey without wife and child. But the train and flight tickets were there when suddenly on having a talk with one of my good friend, Javed, who is incidentally a member of the Eastern Bulls, I come to know that there is a Rider Mania going on in Delhi around the exact time I need to be in Delhi for the Leh flight.

Everything was decided fast soon enough. No Duranto train to Delhi, the Royal Enfield Electra had been not used enough for long rides, and so I hook with the Eastern Bull riders for Delhi and what a fabulous ride it had been.

We parted out just before Gurgaon, when I headed off towards the hotel at Sec 45 in Gurgaon and they off to Maneswar where the RM12 was taking place

And this is now it went,

I rode along with my friend Javed till Delhi, checked into one and only most budget and yet clean hotel in Gurgaon, booked the bike in Gati - again thanks much to Jawed for all the help and contacts, and left off on Jan 29, Sunday, for a flight to a very cold Leh and off to again a much colder Zanskar trek!

Sharing some pics of the ride and trek. The trek itself per se is not that difficult, tenacity is what is required out here. Would be writing much more about this trek in a different travelogue or on my blog.

Pictures as they came about

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00111.jpg

With my friend Javed

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00112.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00113.jpg

Republic Day 2012 around Allahabad

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00114.jpg

With the Eastern Bulls at Firozabad, a great lunch invitation was there courtesy a great gentleman rider of the group

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00117.jpg

And thats me in inset

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00118.jpg

Bike dispatched via Gati and a flight from Delhi early morning of Jan 29 to Leh. At T3 terminal

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00109.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00119.jpg

Random pics from the trek. Would be writing more about it in the blog

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00004.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00005.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00007.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00009.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00010.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00014.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00018.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00019.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00023.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00026.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00040.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00043.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00047.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00052.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00088.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00089.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00066.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00083.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00057.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00030.jpg

contd...

Continuing with random Chadar Zanskar trek pictures

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00086.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00020.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00031.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00134.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00137.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00127.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00129.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00033.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00035.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00036.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00038.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00042.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00045.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00046.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00056.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00062.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00067.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00069.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00072.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00075.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00081.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00082.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00087.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00078.jpg

Had a chance meeting with world renowned photojournalist, Momoi Kazuma . Fantastic short chat had with him about all his travels all over the world, thoughts and of course how he goes about with his photography. Some great photo knowledge gathered in that short 20 mt breakfast meeting at his tent.

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00079.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00068.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00090.jpg

Getting out off Zanskar Chadar after a fantastic trek, near Chilling, for the bus ride back to Leh

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00092.jpg

Back to Leh, went out for some winter Leh sightseeing.
Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-image00098.jpg

contd...