Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 13:31   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
The pics of Pangong are simply fantabulous. Great perspectives and vividness. The Safari's looking cool standing on the beach. From the pics, the sand seems pretty well packed, was it? Asking cause I've heard coupla horror stories of vehicles getting stuck on the Pangong beach.

Whenever I see pics of Pangong, I always go back to the day when my Esteem's clutch had failed me after crossing Pagal and we had to turn back, when the lake was just a few Km away. *sigh*

Also the interaction with the locals really looks & sounds amazing. They are such great hosts that ends up making you feel like a King.
There are multiple "beach access" spots from Lukung to Spangmik. Some of them are okay, while others are loose sand. I think you have seen the qualis towing out video. That is the longest beach, and is very tempting, but its all loose sand.
Old 14th June 2011, 15:21   #92
BHPian

Re: Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I think you have seen the qualis towing out video. That is the longest beach, and is very tempting, but its all loose sand.
Ah, you're absolutely correct mate, that was one of the vids that had me . There were also one on bcmtouring where one after another vehicles and the Army recovery truck got stuck on the beach.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:55   #93
Senior - BHPian

Went through all these 7 pages in one shot.....beautifully spent 2 hrs. Thanks a lot for putting up this exceptional travelogue. Stunning photographs. Wish I could make to this place along with my family one day.
Old 16th June 2011, 13:19   #94
adc
Senior - BHPian

Pangong to Hanle along the Lake via Man, Merak, Tsaga, Loma

If there is the Manali-Leh road, then there is this track/road that goes by Pangong till one sees it turn towards China and then again some great vista all the way to Loma and then to Hanle.

A must done journey just like the Leh-Manali road - GPS tracks and things like that are detailed in the travelogues of tsk1979 and vardhan.harsh. This is another collection of images all the track that took our whole day out with numerous breaks and interactions.

The yellow line [from vardhan.harsh's brilliant map] is what we follow along Pangong to Loma and then the mettalled road to Hanle. This track is a dirt and sometimes sandy, one does need a vehicle with high GC, strong clutch and with a 2wd some intuitive driving.
Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-pangong-hanle-map-vardhan.harsh.jpg

Early morning we leave Pangong.
Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4297.jpg

And we continue along the Lake
Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4310.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4301.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4309.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4316.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4319.jpg

Numerous breaks [photos and/or just stopping] was the routine of the day
Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4350.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4358.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4354.jpg

contd..

Last edited by adc : 16th June 2011 at 13:29.
adc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 13:36   #95
adc
Senior - BHPian

Pangong to Hanle along the Lake via Man, Merak, Tsaga, Loma contd...

And the breaks and stops continued along the Lake
Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-lc410001.jpg
Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-lc420001.jpg

But beware of the sandy beach with a 2wd, and in Oct. there aren't people around.
Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-lc460001.jpg

That's not a Gypsy that got stuck at Man and is being pulled out by a 2-tonne 2wd, Its battery went dead in the coldness and pull start was all that was done.
Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-lc450001.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4366.jpg

And some good thanks from the Gypsy local driver, we moved on
Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4367.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4375.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4378.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4382.jpg

contd..

Last edited by adc : 16th June 2011 at 13:40.
adc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 14:15   #96
adc
Senior - BHPian

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4450.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-lc4700014404.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4454.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4393.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4442.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4434.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4464.jpg

And we got the papers checked and stamped out at Merak as we said a goodbye to one of most cheerful helpful policemen anywhere in India! They were amused to see travellers in mid October along this route.
Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-lc480001.jpg

And then crossed a puddle to leave the village of Merak
Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-lc490001.jpg

Son checks out a Tata truck from the Tata Safari VTT-TMT
Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-lc500001.jpg

And the local Gypsy soon catches up as we take frequent breaks

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-lc510001.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-lc520001.jpg

Finally Pangong turns towards China and those mountains are of China and wild horses and grazing animals against this background take you to another world.
Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4481.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4487.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4542.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-lc530001.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-ladakh-changthang121.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-ladakh-changthang122.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-ladakh-changthang18.jpg

contd...

Last edited by adc : 16th June 2011 at 14:43.
Old 16th June 2011, 14:28   #97
BHPian

Alrighty then mate, now you've totally sent me daydreaming!
The drive along Pangong is just too awesome to look at. Along with dirt & sand, did the track consist of those sharp rocks too?
Old 16th June 2011, 14:33   #98
Senior - BHPian

awesome fantastic, Pangong to Hanle is the plan for this year :P
Old 16th June 2011, 15:21   #99
adc
Senior - BHPian

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4540.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4575.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4595.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4614.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4619.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4621.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4631.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4636.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4700.jpg

And the journey continued along the Pangong-Hanle track

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4665.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4703.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4712.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-lc550001.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4642.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4719.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4717.jpg

contd..

Last edited by adc : 16th June 2011 at 15:25.
Old 16th June 2011, 16:23   #100
adc
Senior - BHPian

Soon we reached the check post at Tsaga and the lone soldier who was manning it. Seeing us all famished, he soon made us some good hot tea and gave the child a fruit juice - a time well spent and a shorty yet very good interaction with a soldier

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4726.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4720.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4723.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4724.jpg

And we continued beyond Tsaga towards Loma

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4735.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4807.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4810.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4827.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4834.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-lc570001.jpg

At Loma, after check of papers, the bridge is crossed and the road bifurcates, one goes to Fukche and Demachok and the other to Hanle. We are going towards Hanle

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4839.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4864.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4874.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4885.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4927.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4936.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-ladakh-changthang124.jpg

Frequent stops had us reach Hanle late evening. Tried accommodation at the Hanle observatory but then they had stopped "spot booking". One local employee took us to a very basic homestay and tired that we were, soon we went to sleep - numbing cold though it was.
Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4958.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-lc580001.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4960.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4959.jpg

Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10-img_4966.jpg

As we reached Hanle late evening and as we got busy finding accommodation, we missed out the liquid nitrogen process of the observatory, as seen in Tanveer's travelogue.

So thus ends Oct 12, 2010 at Hanle, Ladakh. Tomorrow we travel from Hanle to Tso Moriri.

contd...

Last edited by adc : 16th June 2011 at 16:29.
Old 16th June 2011, 16:51   #101
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Wish I could make to this place along with my family one day.
Thanks for all the good words, and definitely you all be going one day over there for a travel to remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
The drive along Pangong is just too awesome to look at. Along with dirt & sand, did the track consist of those sharp rocks too?
No sharp rocks as such, some torque and GC required at some inclines of loose sand and some muddy water puddles - of course as tanveer says it all loose sand along the beach, stick to the track with a 2wd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Pangong to Hanle is the plan for this year
Absolutely, this one of the those must to be done journeys in Ladakh. Another one coming up later in the travelogue and that is the Leh to Demachok road/track.
Old 16th June 2011, 17:51   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Absolutely, this one of the those must to be done journeys in Ladakh. Another one coming up later in the travelogue and that is the Leh to Demachok road/track.
I am hooked brother, how did son behaved health wise. I am keen to take my daughter.
Old 16th June 2011, 22:11   #103
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
how did son behaved health wise. I am keen to take my daughter.
Thats the fortunate part if I may say, son adapted to altitude well starting from our first high altitude tour of Spiti loop at 3 years old.

I think, whatever be the age, adapting to high altitude is more of an individual trait - if one has it it is better to go slowly up and have an exit plan to come down to low altitude if things get worse.

But for all this statements, just go and travel and enjoy with all your family. take things as they come. Detailed planning for a journey/travel has never been my forte and that's a bad trait.

Last edited by adc : 16th June 2011 at 22:31.
adc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 07:59   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Thats the fortunate part if I may say, son adapted to altitude well starting from our first high altitude tour of Spiti loop at 3 years old.

I think, whatever be the age, adapting to high altitude is more of an individual trait - if one has it it is better to go slowly up and have an exit plan to come down to low altitude if things get worse.

But for all this statements, just go and travel and enjoy with all your family. take things as they come. Detailed planning for a journey/travel has never been my forte and that's a bad trait.
So true.

BTW how was the raod between Lukung to Hanle. I think its not tarred at many place but dirt road, still pretty motorable road.

In 2009, From Lukung to Spangmik had stones all over the path which is in parallel to pangong lake. We had to turn back from that point, the other tarred road was broken.
Old 17th June 2011, 08:38   #105
BHPian

Driving along pangong must have been an out of the world experience.

I continue to be amazed at this trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks