Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2011, 00:06   #31
BHPian

Re: "Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley

I am simply overwhelmed by the viewership this TL getting and also the encouranging replies. Also thank to mods for putting this as Hot Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
Beautiful narration and nicely composed photographs. BTW it requires a lot of determination to go for a solo ride to unknown territories. So a statement like "Alone !!! are you kidding" is fully justifed.

Hats off to you.

I am following this TL very closely. Hriday, Keep the details and pictures rolling

cheers!
NH
Thanks NH. I am just half way down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFuel View Post
I truly loved the pics and the TL that you have put up. The place looks really awesome. Your TL and the information provided along with the link will come in real handy. Awesome photography indeed.

Though I do not have a gypsy, however I did see some cars as well in a few pics, so I am thinking maybe I can travel there in my Accent. Please do let me know if that will be a good idea and what all should I be aware of.
Thank you iFuel. I don't think taking an Accent is good idea, if you love your car. A 4x4 is not necessary but high GC is must. You will end up damaging your car bottom. Yes, there are lots of small cars like 800, alto, i10, ritz, etc., but most of them got lots of dents just below the door. Most probably accent will do it but there are lots of sections where you will feel like breaking the car.

Cheers!
hridayjyoti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2011, 01:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I truly loved the pics and the TL that you have put up. The place looks really awesome. Your TL and the information provided along with the link will come in real handy. Awesome photography indeed.

Though I do not have a gypsy, however I did see some cars as well in a few pics, so I am thinking maybe I can travel there in my Accent. Please do let me know if that will be a good idea and what all should I be aware of.
I just did a part of this route,on my Zma till chitkul.
and i drive an Accent too,so i can say,that do it,only if you dont love your car,the softly sprung accent,will scrape its belly badly,though i did see a Cruze and an Accord,trying to crawl in that terrain.
@Hridyajyoti,after reading your log,i am missing my Gypsy soooooo much.
Driving a Gypsy,in such terrain would have been a nice experience,i am more of a biker,but i still have that wish to drive across Spiti in a Gypsy(Some day may be).

Last edited by akshay4587 : 11th June 2011 at 01:48.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2011, 01:56   #33
BHPian

Thanks Hriday & Akshay for the nice tips, I sure love my car, it has been with me for over 6 years now and with the terrain and belly scraping that you have pointed out I know now it is not a good idea. The place looks beautiful, especially after going through this TL I too want to visit it.

And to think of it I belong to Himachal (Palampur) and mountains and terrains are something I see everytime I go there to visit my grandparents however nothing like what Hriday has shown me here. I am glued to this TL, so Hriday please keep posting the lovely pics and the details. Waiting to see what Spiti looks like through your photographs.

It would also be nice to know the break-up of the cost incurred in one small post. You did mention the fuel and the hotel prices in between, I was just wondering if you will post it in place for people to have a look at the complete cost break down for reference. Many thanks.
Old 11th June 2011, 11:20   #34
BHPian

You have really got guts Hriday . I wouldn't dare to go at such a place all alone. And your photographs have really come out very nice.

I thought the only way to Spiti was via Manali but you took a different route I guess.
Old 11th June 2011, 12:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

Oh!! your travelogue is a delight!!
I liked the story of those dude monks jumping in and out of your Gypsy. You got good company.
That's a plus when you travel alone, you can afford some risk of giving lifts to total strangers which will add a complete new perspective to your journey alongwith making it more memorable. This trip would be among the best of your life, or let's just say it's THE best of your life.
A person travelling with family has to think of the safety first and that devoids the journey of a little more fun.
Am watching this space. I know you must clicked tons of photos, just pour it down here.
Old 11th June 2011, 12:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

Lovely triplog. You make the rest of us stuck cubicle workers extremely jealous. I think I really must start working towards my plan of a March/April timeframe cycle ride into Spiti. (you said IPL semi final i.e apr, right?)

How many buses were coming/going and how full were they?
Old 11th June 2011, 13:31   #37
BHPian

Great travelogue and excellent photography Hriday!

It's almost become a norm for me to head to the hills during weekends through such lovely travelogues and attractive pictures in my office cubicle! Wonder when will I actually be there!?

Last edited by SuperSlick : 11th June 2011 at 13:33.
Old 11th June 2011, 17:58   #38
BHPian

Tabo and Tabo Monastery

Tabo

This is heartening to see a huge welcome gate, everytime I entered into a village.

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2869.jpg

It's almost mid-day, and I am starving. I freshened myself in tubewell water and the coldness of the water made me shivering in no time!
Monks are still with me, I've already made a deal with monks to guide me in and around Tabo

We went to a restaurant, had veg thukpa, it was yummy, hot and spicy!

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2872.jpg

Across the table our chats continued. We couldn't recall one another's name so we reintroduced ourselves. The chatty monk is Gunchu, the monk from Dehradun is known as Raul and third one, ummm... I forgot his name again.
Gunchu continues, "we are nicknamed as cylinder in Dehradun"
I asked, "why so?"
He replied, "Because of the colour of our cloths!"

I also asked them about their lifestyle. Becoming a monk is not a forced process. Before adopting it, one has to understand the principle and then if he thinks that he will be able to follow it, he adopts it. After that he goes to monastery for study. Monks are not allowed to get married. But, if any point of time one feels like getting married the he can leave and start his family life.

After having our thukpa, we proceed to monastery.

The Tabo monastery

Backgroud and History:

Tabo Monastery (or Tabo Chos-Khor Monastery) was founded in 996AD by the great Tibetan Buddhist and translator Lotsawa Rinchen Tsang Po, the king of western Himalayan Kingdom of Guge as an advanced centre of learning. It is located at an altitude of 3050m. It spreads over an area of 6300sq m and is surrounded by high boundary wall made up of mud bricks.
The monastery temples house a priceless collection of manuscripts and thangkas (Buddhist scroll paintings), historical, exquisite statues in stuccos, frescos and murals depicting tales from the Mahayana Buddhist Pantheon. Every inch of wall is covered with fine paintings in astonishingly well preserved condition.
The monastery complex holds 9 temples, 23 chortens, a monk's chamber and an extension that houses the nuns chamber.

The temples:

The Temple of the Enlightened Gods (gTug-Lha-khang)

This is also known as the assembly hall (du-khang) and is quite the core of the complex. This has a vestibule, an assembly hall and a sanctum. The central figure of this hall is the four-fold figure of Vairocana. In Vajrayana Buddhism, he is regarded as one of the five spiritual sons of Adibuddha- who was the self-created primordial Buddha. With awesome majesty he sits larger than life about two meters above the floor. He is depicted in a posture turning the wheel of law. On brackets arrayed along the walls and with stylized flaming circles around them are life sized stucco images of what are commonly called the Vajradhatu Mandala. Thirty-three in all these are other deities of the pantheon, for example Vajrasattva (rDo-re-dSems-pa) the 'soul of the thunderbolt.'

With five Bodhisattvas of the Good Age placed within, the sanctum is immediately behind the assembly hall. The walls around the stuccoes are richly adorned with wall paintings that depict the life of the Buddha. These have a purely Indian artistic style as it is said that the artists were specially summoned from Kashmir.

The Golden Temple (gSer-khang)

Once said to have been layered with gold, this temple was exhaustively renovated in the 16th century by Senge Namgyal, ruler of Ladakh. The walls and ceilings are covered with outstanding murals.

The Mystic Mandala Temple / Initiation Temple (dKyil-kHor- khang)

The wall facing the door has a huge painting of Vairocana who is surrounded by eight Bodhisattvas. Mystic Mandalas cover the other areas. Here the initiation to monkhood takes place.

The Bodhisattva Maitreya Temple (Byams-Pa Chen-po Lha-khang)

This has an image of the Bodhisattva Maitreya that is over six meters high. The temple has a hall, vestibule and sanctum. The array of murals within also depicts the monastery of Tashi-Chunpo and Lhasa's Potala palace.

The Temple of Dromton (Brom-ston Lha khang)

A small portico and long passage leads to its hall. The doorway is intricately carved and the inner walls are covered with murals. It lies on the northern edge of the complex and is regarded to have been founded by Dromton (1008-1064 AD) an important disciple of Atisha.

The above are accepted as the earliest temples of the Tabo complex and the following are later additions.

The Chamber of Picture Treasures (Z'al-ma)

This is a kind of an ante room attached to the Enlightened Gods temple. It is covered with beautiful paintings of the Tibetan style.

The Large Temple of Dromton (Brom-ston Lha khang)

The second largest temple in the complex, this has a floor area of over 70 sq m, while the portico and niche add another 42 sq m. The front wall has the figure of Sakyamuni flanked by Sariputra and Maha Maugdalayana. The outer walls depict the eight Medicine Buddhas and Guardian Kings. The wooden planks of the ceiling are also painted.

The Mahakala Vajra Bhairava Temple (Gon-khang)

This enshrines the protective deity of the Galuk-pa sect. Fierce deities fill the room and it is only entered after protective meditation. At times it is called the 'temple of horror'.

The White Temple (dKar-abyum Lha-Khang)

The walls of this temple are also adorned leaving a low dado for the monks or nuns to lean against.

The temple complex is a national historic treasure of India and protected as such by the Archaeological Survey of India.

**These informations are well available in literature and internet. I just included it here.

Back to my trip diary:

Entering the monastery, rolling the prayer wheels.

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2877.jpg

Heading to the temple of Enlightened Gods

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2879.jpg

Having monks along payed off quite well. I went to every corner of the temple, it is really amazing to see inside of a ancient temple. Inside there are 36 idols of goddess.

I also went inside the Golden temple. The monk said there are 1000 painting of Lord Budha on the walls.

Few snaps from backside of the temple complex.

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2881_1_1_tonemapped.jpg

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2884_tonemapped_inc_contrast.jpg

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2885.jpg

Entering the Large temple of Dromton. Below the huge figure of Budha, there is small passage to pass by, I don't know the significance of crossing through it but I followed the monks.

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2887.jpg

Nun going back after she finished off showing us the temple complex. The monk informed, nuns are employees of govt.!

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2888.jpg

A decorated Stupa

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2890.jpg

A view across the apple garden

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2893.jpg

The cricket ground: the Helipad, the organiser offered a cup of tea. Btw, the team from Hurling has lost the match.

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2896.jpg

(No)Net-practice before the gate of Dr. Y.S. Parmer University of Horticulture and Forestry:

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2899.jpg

Here come the banner of the Cricket Premier League:

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2900.jpg

I left Tabo at 1:00pm after a unforgettable time with monks.

Next Destination: Dhankar Village

to be contd..
Old 11th June 2011, 18:33   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I just did a part of this route,on my Zma till chitkul.
and i drive an Accent too,so i can say,that do it,only if you dont love your car,the softly sprung accent,will scrape its belly badly,though i did see a Cruze and an Accord,trying to crawl in that terrain.
@Hridyajyoti,after reading your log,i am missing my Gypsy soooooo much.
Driving a Gypsy,in such terrain would have been a nice experience,i am more of a biker,but i still have that wish to drive across Spiti in a Gypsy(Some day may be).
Thank you. No doubt, gypsy rules those terrains!

Quote:
Thanks Hriday & Akshay for the nice tips, I sure love my car, it has been with me for over 6 years now and with the terrain and belly scraping that you have pointed out I know now it is not a good idea. The place looks beautiful, especially after going through this TL I too want to visit it.

And to think of it I belong to Himachal (Palampur) and mountains and terrains are something I see everytime I go there to visit my grandparents however nothing like what Hriday has shown me here. I am glued to this TL, so Hriday please keep posting the lovely pics and the details. Waiting to see what Spiti looks like through your photographs.

It would also be nice to know the break-up of the cost incurred in one small post. You did mention the fuel and the hotel prices in between, I was just wondering if you will post it in place for people to have a look at the complete cost break down for reference. Many thanks.
Thank you again. I did maintain sheet to track the expenditure. I am going post it after I finish off my trip diary. However there are not much of cost apart from fuel cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-100 View Post
You have really got guts Hriday . I wouldn't dare to go at such a place all alone. And your photographs have really come out very nice.

I thought the only way to Spiti was via Manali but you took a different route I guess.
Thank you. There are two route to Spiti Valley. The route you mention is seasonal, it is opened from Mid-June to October. The route I took opens throughout the the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Oh!! your travelogue is a delight!!
I liked the story of those dude monks jumping in and out of your Gypsy. You got good company.
That's a plus when you travel alone, you can afford some risk of giving lifts to total strangers which will add a complete new perspective to your journey alongwith making it more memorable. This trip would be among the best of your life, or let's just say it's THE best of your life.
A person travelling with family has to think of the safety first and that devoids the journey of a little more fun.
Am watching this space. I know you must clicked tons of photos, just pour it down here.
Thank you. Thats true, with family I won't have take the risk of giving lift to strangers! But, compared to other parts of India, it is quite safe to give a lift to a stranger in those place. And after this trip, my perspective about monks changed a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Lovely triplog. You make the rest of us stuck cubicle workers extremely jealous. I think I really must start working towards my plan of a March/April timeframe cycle ride into Spiti. (you said IPL semi final i.e apr, right?)

How many buses were coming/going and how full were they?
Thank you. IPL semi final was in May month. If you travel in March/April, the Spiti valley will be full of snow. And I bet it will be more delightful sight. But, don't know how the road will be and also there won't be running water in the bathrooms for sure.

I can't say the exect number of bus, but the buses leaves early in the morning and reaches Recong Peo by evening. And they are not jam packed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlick View Post
Great travelogue and excellent photography Hriday!

It's almost become a norm for me to head to the hills during weekends through such lovely travelogues and attractive pictures in my office cubicle! Wonder when will I actually be there!?
Thank you. I guess that is situation for most of us. Getting leaves is one of the toughest task these days!

Hope you will make it to hills, and sooner the better

Cheers!
Hriday
Old 11th June 2011, 20:20   #40
Senior - BHPian

ah yes - I meant world cup semi final #facepalm by me!
Old 11th June 2011, 23:47   #41
BHPian

Moving Ahead

Drive to Dhankar

With delightful memories with Lamas I started my journey to Dhankar Village, my last destination before Kaza.

Road seems quite nice so far.
Tabo bridge, it is incredible to see prayer flags almost everywhere.

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2901.jpg

A view from bridge, I already developed the skill of clicking pics on move with one hand, keeping the other hand on the steering!

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2904.jpg

After crossing the bridge the road turned into broken or dirt track again!

Effect of erosion to sandstone, disneyland style rock structure.

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2905.jpg

The view started changing after every few hundred metres of drive

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2906.jpg

Road has almost come to the level of the river. I decided to push Zuki on these tracks and have some fun!

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2909.jpg

Straight road ahead! Finally after a day I engaged 5th Gear and speedometer crossed 70kmph mark

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2910.jpg

But the fun was soon over, natural speedbreakers!

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2912.jpg

By around 1:25pm I arrived at Poh

Eye-catching turns

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2914.jpg

Dirt road continues along the river

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2916.jpg

I getting little worried now, cloud covering up the peaks. I don't want any rains, also groomy weather making photos dull.

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2919.jpg

Each turn around the corner give a new treat to eyes!

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2920.jpg

Beautiful Spiti valley

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2922.jpg

Experiment with camera! Almost the same landscape in B/W

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2923.jpg

Fun with dirt track continues! Approaching Sichling.

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2924.jpg

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2925.jpg

Mesmerising views continues!

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2927.jpg

At around 1:50pm I arrived at Attargo, from where diversion to Dhankar begins! No chance of missing it,

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2928.jpg

From here the road start climbing leaving the valley.

A car wash today at Kaza? With bad weather around I don't think it makes sense.

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2931.jpg

Near flat river bed

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2929.jpg

Dhankar Village, looks like a village shown in animation movies!

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2930.jpg

Dhankar, here I come!

to be contd...
Cheers!
hridayjyoti is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 19:02   #42
BHPian

Having driven the Gypsy for this long a journey and in such tough terrains, what would you say about the vehicle to prospective buyers.

Many say that Gypsy owners always have severe back pain problems, how true is it?
San Phrangmung is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 00:50   #43
BHPian

Dhankar Village & Drive to Kaza

Drive to Dhankar Village made me stopping again and again for clicking snaps

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2933.jpg

Finally I arrived at the gate of Dhankar village at 2:10pm. Dhankar has 2 monastery, the historic thousand year old on the unstable cliff and a new one just next to the welcome gate.

Welcome to Dhankar village
The gate and new monastery.

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2952.jpg

My interest is undoubtably the historic one, I asked a monk at the gate about whereabout of the old one. Lama was also his way to there, so I offered him the co-passenger seat. I think, taking a car ahead wasn't a good idea at all. Firstly, road is quite narrow, at places wheels went half in the air and secondly, road is quite loose, I just prayed and moved ahead. Finally got to the parking place, where the road ends, here come a new problem reversing the car, chunks of pebble dumped over there, which made the place crampy. With the help of lama, I managed to reverse it.

Compared to the monastery of Tabo, Dhankar monastery is very simple. It is not an architectural delight, but the position of the monastery on the top of mountain is unbelievable.

Amazing views from the monastery:

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2935.jpg

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2936.jpg

The Gompa (monastery) situated just on the top of a 300m deep gorge, a view of the gorge

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2938.jpg

A local guy from Kaza, I requested me to post his photo and I kept his wishes.

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2937.jpg

A view towards village from Gompa.

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2944.jpg

The Dhankar Monastery. This monastery has been recognised by World Monument Fund as one of 100 endangered sites in the world.

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2948.jpg

Dhankar village

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2951.jpg

After spending around 20mins in the monastery I started my journey to Kaza.

A baby mountain horse with mom

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2954.jpg
More views of Spiti valley, weather has really gone bad.

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2955.jpg

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2957.jpg

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2958.jpg

I saw a car washing shop around 6kms before Kaza, may be tomorrow I will give the car a wash.

Kaza

Welcome to Kaza, the left side road goes to the bus stand and right one leads to Manali.

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2960.jpg

I asked a local about the petrol pump, it will come on the left to the road to Manali, it's 4:00pm and I proceed to fill up my tank first. This petrol pump opens from 10:00am to 6:00pm.

When I got to the Pump there was no electricity, but luckily by the time I park my car, electricity is back.

IOCL welcomes you to the highest altitude (3740m) retail outlet in the world!

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2961.jpg

I filled my tank full and started my search for a hotel. I checked into a hotel right next to Kaza monastery with parking place. Rate: Rs. 250/day for two days with attached bathroom.

The weather gone worse, now the mountain tops are covered with clouds.

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2963.jpg

The hotel attendent told me last year, there was snow fall by this time of the year. Snow fall!!! I got little excited but also I got little worried if the snows, the roads will be closed and I might stranded here!

After a cup of tea, I decided to pay a visit to local market, and find out the a place for dinner. It started dizzling now and no electricity, I just bought a memory card for the P&S camera and returned to hotel.

The dizzle stopped after half an hour and mountains peaks are visible again, also breeze become much colder now.

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2965.jpg

Mountain peaks after rain, the surrounding made a quick makeover and brought delight to my lens!

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2969.jpg

"Alone!!! You're Kidding!" A Gypsy week to Spiti Valley-img_2972.jpg

By around 8:00pm I went to market again and had dinner with chicken momos.

I also rang mom and brother, as I could not call them yesterday, informed that I am fine, and brother just reminded me that today is their first anniversary, congratulated him and sis-in-law.

Still no electricity! Just downloaded photos to laptop and processed a few before going for sleep.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the weather will be clear by tomorrow.

Cheers!
Old 13th June 2011, 01:04   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
Having driven the Gypsy for this long a journey and in such tough terrains, what would you say about the vehicle to prospective buyers.

Many say that Gypsy owners always have severe back pain problems, how true is it?
No doubt gypsy rules these terrains. With high ground clearance, small wheel base, crossing obstacle is never a problem. though at places it loses its momentum due to low torque.

Till now, I don't have any back pain, only pain I had was neck pain, which I even have with driving fiesta as well. I don't use gypsy for my daily purpose, and this the first trip with it. I do agree, gypsy ride is very bumpy, it tends to jumps very often because of low weight and suspension. I have recently changed the whole suspension system with rally sping leaf before this trip, and that paid off quite well. Now, it ride smoothly in most of the roads.

I am still a new owner to gypsy, I suggest you ask this question in the 4x4 vehicle section to get expert opinion.

Cheers!
hridayjyoti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 11:36   #45
BHPian

A solo drive into the Spiti valley is definitely a WOW thing! And nice description of various aspects of the travel accompanied by cool pics.

BTW, I'd been told by a Kinnauri that the alternate road to Malling Nallah has become functional and one doesn't need to pass through the landslide prone area anymore. Did you get a chance to inquire about any such route on your travel?

Most Viewed