Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2011, 23:03   #1
BHPian

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park

There is no place in the world than Kanha National Park for viewing the swamp deer (Barasingha) and the Tiger in the wild.

As many of you knows that I started my Jungle expedition with Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve on August 2010. Thereafter, went to Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve thrice, so far. While finalising my annual holidays, i struggled a lot this time. I managed to get two weeks leave from office (May 21-June 3, 2011). I was greedy (as my wife said) because i wanted to cover a lot. After a long brainstorming session with wife, we managed to finalise a comprehensive tour. This time i wanted to cover a new National Park along with my favourite Bandhavgrah in summer. I was getting lots of updates about Bandhavgrah tiger sightings during summer. Finally the tour was planned like this.

May 21-25, 2011 - 4 nights at Kanha (8 drives)
May 25-29, 2011 – 4 nights at Bandhavgarh (6 drives)

There is no place in the world than Kanha National Park for viewing the swamp deer (Barasingha) and the Tiger in the wild. So, we boarded the morning flight on May 21, 2011 from Mumbai to Nagpur. Reached Nagpur around 8.15 a.m. and loaded our luggage to the pre-booked Toyota Innova. My plan was to reach Kanha around 1.00 p.m. and have a nice lunch and do the evening round, which was not planned. Here was the disappointment. The driver was new and going to Kanha for the first time. Not only that but also the way he was driving. In the highway he was driving like a bullock cart and on busy road, he was flying aeroplane. He missed the seoni bypass route to Kanha and drove us till Mandla. Road from Mandla to Kanha is horrible and Mandla to Kanha is around 100 plus kilo metre. Then i enquired with the local guys for route and they said why you came by this route. We did not had any option but drove till Kanha. Finally, reached Kanha around 2.45 p.m. and i came to know that entry time starts at 4.00 p.m. We checked in to Mridu Kishore Resort as i did not get Baghira Log Huts for four days. Despite so much of tiredness, i told my wife, lets have a quick lunch and go for a ride. And we did that. Called up Satish, the gypsy driver to book for the evening safari round. He said Kanha zone is full and he booked Sarahi zone.

Some Teaser Pictures.

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park-cub-bandhavgarh297-1024x768.jpg

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park-kanha-bara-singha205-1024x768.jpg
Subrat Seet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 23:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park

Which route did the driver take to reach Kanha? I thought if you turn off at Seoni bypass, you go direct to Mukki/Kisli via Balaghat?

Great picture of the tiger yawning or snarling!!!
Old 7th June 2011, 23:13   #3
BHPian

The driver wrongly took us till Mandla and then took a turn to Kanha. Thanks for liking Sir.
Old 8th June 2011, 10:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

If I'm not wrong then this is the biggest male of Kanha - "Nakkata". Surprising, when did he get this chipped canine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subrat Seet View Post

Some Teaser Pictures.

Old 8th June 2011, 11:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

What a beautiful start of the day, please keep more pictures coming the route that you took and where all you stayed. We will plan Kanha trip soon, its easy for us as most of our relatives live in that area.
Old 8th June 2011, 13:41   #6
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 10th June 2011 at 10:48.
Wanderer78 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th June 2011, 14:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Oh! One more Kanha story! We love it. Great picture of Tiger and Barasingha to start with. We missed Barasinghas when we were ther in March. Keep it going Subrat.
Old 8th June 2011, 20:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
If I'm not wrong then this is the biggest male of Kanha - "Nakkata". Surprising, when did he get this chipped canine?
No idea whether it is the biggest male. First day we saw a male called Munna (local people named).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
What a beautiful start of the day, please keep more pictures coming the route that you took and where all you stayed. We will plan Kanha trip soon, its easy for us as most of our relatives live in that area.
Thanks. Sure i will upload. What r u waiting for, pack you bag and go before the park colsed for this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer78 View Post
A great start to the thread. Keep them coming.
Thanks! Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Oh! One more Kanha story! We love it. Great picture of Tiger and Barasingha to start with. We missed Barasinghas when we were ther in March. Keep it going Subrat.
Thanks Fauji Sir. I had eight drives. After two three drives my aim was for tigers and Barasingha. However, everytime something new used to happened. I used to forget tiger centric. Kanha no doubt beautiful.

May 21, 2011 - Evening drive

There are three zones of Kanha National Park i.e., Kanha, Mukki and Sarahi (the new one). Sarahi zone is new, so animals are little shy and run away from vehicles.

During Summer safari starts from Morning 5.00 a.m. to 11.00 am. However, after 10.00 a.m., i did not get to see any movement in the jungle. We normally come out of the junge by 10.00a.m.

On May 21, we had our first round of safari in Sarahi. Evening round starts at 4.00 p.m. and continue upto 7.00 p.m. The photographs from Sarahi zone and first round.

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park-kanha-sarahi-may-201159-1024x768.jpg

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park-kanha-sarahi-may-201161-1024x768.jpg

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park-kanha-sarahi-may-201162-1024x768.jpg

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park-kanha-sarahi-may-201164-1024x768.jpg

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park-kanha-sarahi-may-201165-1024x768.jpg

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park-kanha-sarahi-may-201166-1024x768.jpg

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park-kanha-sarahi-may-201168-1024x768.jpg

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park-kanha-sarahi-may-201169-1024x768.jpg

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park-kanha-sarahi-may-201170-1024x768.jpg

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park-kanha-sarahi-may-201171-1024x768.jpg
Old 9th June 2011, 08:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Subrat,

A nice travelogue unfolding in pictures.

Heard about the Magical Kanha, but was never fortunate to be there, hope some day.
Until then through your photographs I, journey through Kanha.
Regards,
Old 9th June 2011, 09:13   #10
BHPian

A great start, Subrat, and lovely pictures. Please continue through your story till end and post all those pics that you have.

The last pic of yours - that of the owl - is worth special mention. Amazing camouflage - the owl and the tree are exactly the same colours! And I could spot something like an alien's face in the dark space above the owl - created by the texture of the tree of course.
Old 9th June 2011, 10:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Subrat,

A nice travelogue unfolding in pictures.

Heard about the Magical Kanha, but was never fortunate to be there, hope some day.
Until then through your photographs I, journey through Kanha.
Regards,
Fazal Sir, I will not dissapoint you. So many Kanha log is here. Honestly, Tiger is always an importance, whenever who ever is in any jungle. I do not want to lie. My experience - After superb sightings at Bandhavgarh from my previous visits, i used to expet the same in Kanha. But Kanha is magical, everytime new things unfolded, i forgot tiger. But saw five different tiger/tigress from my eight drives. For me it was a brainstorming discussion at home to do 14 odd safari in toto (Kanha (8 drives) and Bandhavgarh (6 safari)) with two daughters (5year and 2 years) and 55 year old mother. Wife was there with me through out 14 drives. I fell in love with Kanha. As i will upload the pictures, i will share my experiences and thoughts. Thanks for liking.

[quote=pjay_in;2384440]A great start, Subrat, and lovely pictures. Please continue through your story till end and post all those pics that you have.

I too have the same plan to upload all the pictures and species i have come across. Light was quite low when i shoot the owl. Thanks for liking.

Thanks for liking.
Old 9th June 2011, 11:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
This little chap is almost invisible, i might have missed it altogether had it not been a picture. This shows that in the wild one would miss many a thing if not patient and look with a diffrent eye.
Old 9th June 2011, 11:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

You mean to say that the picture you posted is that of Munna? Oh, Oh.

This is how I saw Munna in Kanha:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2320502

Quote:

No idea whether it is the biggest male. First day we saw a male called Munna (local people named).
Old 9th June 2011, 21:35   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
This little chap is almost invisible, i might have missed it altogether had it not been a picture. This shows that in the wild one would miss many a thing if not patient and look with a diffrent eye.
Patience is an important thing in Jungle Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
You mean to say that the picture you posted is that of Munna? Oh, Oh.

This is how I saw Munna in Kanha:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2320502
Sir, you saw munna in a diffrent way. I will upload as i go ahead, how i saw.

May 22, 2011 - Day 2- Drive no.2

Despite being so tired, we got up at 4.00 a.m. to get ready by 4.30 a.m. As my mother was there, we leave our younger daughter with her and Sakshi (elder one) accompanied us. Satish came exactly at 4.30 and we lined up for entry. We got a very good guide. I was not bothered about guide because Satish alone was enough. Entered the Khatia gate and then Kisli gate. After 5 minutes of our entry, jungle was preety cold. This time due to rain in April, jungle was quite green. Guide asked me, Sir would you liked to go for tiger show? Reluctantly, i said yes. The we went to report for tiger show for token. As our number was 54, we decided to explore Kanha meadows for Barasingha and decided to comeback after a big round.

Everything went well and we sighted quite a bit of Barasingha (Swamp deer) in golden light, spotted deer with action, cattle egrets and Bisons. Bisons were just 3 to 4 feet away from our vehicle. Here are the photos.

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park-kanha-may-201103-1024x768.jpg

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park-kanha-may-201104-1024x768.jpg

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park-kanha-may-201105-1024x768.jpg

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park-kanha-may-201106-1024x768.jpg

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park-kanha-may-201107-1024x768.jpg

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park-kanha-may-201108-1024x768.jpg

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park-kanha-may-201109-1024x768.jpg

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park-kanha-may-201110-1024x768.jpg

Adventure in Kipling Country - Kanha National Park-kanha-may-201111-1024x768.jpg
Old 10th June 2011, 17:19   #15
BHPian

So you finally made it to Kanha National park. Suberb photograph of the tiger yawning. Your TL is going to refresh my memories of my last Kanha trip.U seem to have had very good sightings so please keep updating.
Regards

Last edited by Coooolcat21 : 10th June 2011 at 17:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks