Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2011, 17:29   #16

Re: Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandha

Acrobatics..this f[COLOR=black]emale was identified as Kanketi who recently in news of tiger cannibalism of killing and eating a portion of Chorbehera female in a territorial fight. She now took over this territory (TALA)[/COLOR]
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc4522.jpg

Twist: A huge fella appear behind the Jamun tree and started following Kankatis move - our guide screemed..Bamera..Bamera (dominant male). It was peak of mating season and the presence of Bamera presented a rare sight to be unfolded next
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc4528.jpg

Bamera following Kanketi who've already crossed and reached a shade near a water stream..
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc4531.jpg

He is speeding up..we need to follow as well cruising through other vehicles..
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc4540.jpg

Chasing this drama, with a nasty turn of the vehical I fell down flat on the middle seat...nobody helped :-) somehow got my balane, and what I saw after that was lifes best in the wild. Mating brins in new hope for the next generation after the 3 months gastation. A rare sight and my luck at its best this time....
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc4542-copy.jpg

The present king and the queen of Bandhavgarh and the new celibrity couple in making.
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc4562-640x425.jpg

May you live long..
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc4608-copy.jpg

To be continued: Hide and seek in the early morning golden light..
SAFIQUE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 18:19   #17
BHPian

Re: Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandha

Amazing Pics Safique and equally thrilling narration. I hope you got loads more to go to ensure that this TL goes on for days altogether displaying all the pics of Tigers in Bandhavgarh.

OT: Avoid copying text from Word and pasting it here. It becomes hard to read the text with tags around.
traveloholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 22:11   #18
BHPian

Amazing start and different way of writeup (giving hints what coming up), liking every bit of it. Rating 5*.
TheBeastFieast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:28   #19

Thanks Abheek - I've so much of pictures from this trip and would like to share my entire interesting clicks with some birds & other species as well, that dipicts how varsatile this jungle is..

Another day, afternoon: This was the dominant male (Bamera) of Tala zone resting on a hillock in AC environment
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc4036.jpg

Twist: suddently emerged a female out of nowhere and she was none other then Kankati. Again, this presented the scope of sighting another mating episode..
Name:  _DSC4040.JPG
Views: 1202
Size:  118.0 KB

Before I could blink my eyes, they went for mating - a pin drop silence and then large growls of Bamera flew all birds around..
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc4044.jpg

Light was tricky and our positin didn't alow a clear picture..still a record shot I guess..
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc4055.jpg

Early morning: perched and roaring inside a bamboo shurbs. These shurbs are best camouflage habitat for tiger, it also helps them to get to their preys easily hiding behind it..
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc5478.jpg

King appearing from his hideout in the golden light of the dawn, ensuring that I am not his prey to kill , before crossing the road.
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc5488crop.jpg

Crossed the road and disapper through the foliage, it was too hot and need some rest.
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc5494.jpg

Kankati resting below a Jamun tree...flies dont disturb!!
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc5064.jpg

I am sick of you guys, again here!! She'll most likely bring in good news after 3 months. I presume she had to make a kill that night or next becuase during mating period, 3-4 days, pair dont make any kill. This picture is after Bamera left for another zone..
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc5072.jpg
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Right after the park opened for tourists this season last october, problems seem to be compounding and growing exponentially in Bandhavgad. First, the young male tiger known as Kallu disappeared. No one knows his fate, perhaps he will reappear one day? Second B2 has reaffirmed his presence in the Ghorademon and Banbehi area now the young pretender is no more. Third, Chakradhara's 14 year old tigress Pyari and her three cubs are gone from the Tala Zone for good. No one knows where the four are and no one in authority seems that concerned. Fourth, Rajbehra has been taken over after Durga's death by one of her daughters we now call Jaya(D5). Fifth, the second daughter now called Vijaya (D4) has taken Chakradhara and had pushed Lakshmi to the very edge of her territory in Chorbehra and Dobhiakhol.

A poor Laksmi / Chorbehera tigress (langdi) kept on spending alot of time outside in Khitauli Range over the main road killing cattle and was finally killed by Kankati in a territorial fight as she encroached on her area leaving her subadult cubs orphaned who have resorted to killing cattle. Then Bamera started roaming all over Bandhavgad and is on the verge of wiping out B2 (B2 days are numbered for sure). And then this tigress being killed by somebody or something in Magdhi. Mirchiani male cubs, Mukunda male cub - on the verge of adulthood have to look out for a marauding Bamera.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Superb snaps Safique.

I enjoyed the wildlife photography but i am a total novice at going to such expeditions. I have a question for you and Abheek sir and a stupid one for that.

In the above quoted text as well in your posts all the tigers have been identified by a name. I am puzzled how do you identify or separate one from the other. My understanding is because you folks have been tracking their movement for such a long time you are able to spot the difference.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:58   #21
BHPian

Wowww! Amazing Pics Safique! very good narration too
glued to this thread for more pics!
figo_united is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 17:11   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Superb snaps Safique.

I enjoyed the wildlife photography but i am a total novice at going to such expeditions. I have a question for you and Abheek sir and a stupid one for that.

In the above quoted text as well in your posts all the tigers have been identified by a name. I am puzzled how do you identify or separate one from the other. My understanding is because you folks have been tracking their movement for such a long time you are able to spot the difference.
Ha ha..I am amazed with your thoughtful question..by the way I've almost always found questions marked as stupid/dumb/nuts..add more if you have it, as the ice breaker:-)

I had the same curiosity, but finally discovered that there is no magic formula. They are distinct in clear terms, and their natural ability to attract your attention makes their image inerasable from your memory. How you know their names? All guides/drivers have it in the tip of their tongue, these are established names, since handful of them remains in our forests - they are like celebrity names. Once you see them and know their names that's it - it will not go off your mind. Try this out - see again all the pictures and their names, give your keen eye on the size, shape, formation of black liners, face cut etc, males are quite different (large) then female - I bet even before seeing them in jungle you'll spot the difference. Some names even helps to distinguish easily - for example, KanKati (Kan+Kati=torn ear), her left ear and left eye got injured (you can clearly see in the last picture) during a territorial fight with chorbehera (also know as Langdi). Kankati killed langdi and eat part of her body - 1st tiger cannibalism reported from Bandhavgarh.
Old 23rd June 2011, 18:31   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coooolcat21 View Post
Very nice begining to another wildlife travelogue . Superb pictures and look forward to seeing lots more as you have been lucky to have had great sightings. Its very often people come back from the safaris dissappointed, especially if its only the tiger that they want to see.
Regards.
Yes, you are right. It happened to me many times before this trip that sighted all sorts of wildlife except Tiger - they have that natural ability to surprise you one day if one is persistent enough. While in Tadoba, one German tiger conservationist responded to a frustrated group complaining saying there is nothing - then he stopped and quietly said - I've sighted 35 varieties of butterflies in this trip - how many did you?? This is a great example of huge difference in attitudes. I did reported Tadoba's pristine ecosystem, flora and fauna to conflict the perception that visiting wildlife sanctuaries even tiger researves are not merely a success of sighting a tiger, but of really enjoying the rich bio-diversity and other varieties of wild species. Tiger is a bonus, and it can result into these many I've got..I intend to showcase other species (only interesting images) of Bandhavgarh here, once I am done with Tiger :-)
Old 23rd June 2011, 21:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFIQUE View Post
I had the same curiosity, but finally discovered that there is no magic formula. They are distinct in clear terms, and their natural ability to attract your attention makes their image inerasable from your memory. How you know their names? All guides/drivers have it in the tip of their tongue, these are established names, since handful of them remains in our forests - they are like celebrity names. Once you see them and know their names that's it - it will not go off your mind. Try this out - see again all the pictures and their names, give your keen eye on the size, shape, formation of black liners, face cut etc, males are quite different (large) then female - I bet even before seeing them in jungle you'll spot the difference. Some names even helps to distinguish easily - for example, KanKati (Kan+Kati=torn ear), her left ear and left eye got injured (you can clearly see in the last picture) during a territorial fight with chorbehera (also know as Langdi). Kankati killed langdi and eat part of her body - 1st tiger cannibalism reported from Bandhavgarh.
Thank you for the explanation and for revealing the magic formula.

KanKati was interesting. I did not even think about it when i read it the first time. Only after you explained it did i went back to the snap to confirm.

I would once again start looking at the snaps with a keen eye and hope to pick up the differences. But i guess nothing would beat the real thing.
Old 24th June 2011, 06:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Shafique,

They posed for you, mated for you and all else, others would dream of.
If they could...they would bring their litter into this world for you and you camera.

Hope this photo shoot inspires you enough to go for higher grade photographic gear.

Great captures and equally good write up, enjoyed them.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 10:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFIQUE View Post
I bet even before seeing them in jungle you'll spot the difference.
safique: thanks for the information. never thought of it before. i will revisit the snaps and study them carefully to identify the uniqueness

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
@NightHawk : All these places will be equally good in winter. I advise you to plan a atleast 10 day trip with 3 days each to kanha , bandhavgad and Pench (atleast 6 safaris each in every park) like Nilanjan or Gurudutt sir for a complete experience. Please get in touch with me if you want.
Thanks for the valuable advise Doc. I have noted down your contact number and will seek your advise once the plan is finalised.

Last edited by Night_Hawk : 24th June 2011 at 10:36.
Old 24th June 2011, 13:38   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Shafique,

They posed for you, mated for you and all else, others would dream of.
If they could...they would bring their litter into this world for you and you camera.

Hope this photo shoot inspires you enough to go for higher grade photographic gear.

Great captures and equally good write up, enjoyed them.
Regards,
Thanks Fazal - you've got the pulse. My target is to bring the litters picture right here in this thread from my next visit. I am so eager that I told my contact at BTR to let me know the good news as soon as they come to know about it..keeping my fingers cross.

You've also hit the bulls-eye on the need to upgrade photo gear - that feeling started tickling me already.
Old 24th June 2011, 14:37   #28

Another rare sight: Boar relishing on a langur.

Sighted this fella feasting on a langur, and was literally tearing and taking flesh out of the body. Quite unusual, I didn't even know that these are omnivorous, but got the proof in real action. Took a video of the entire episode, I've to upload it either youtube or my flickr album to share herewith..will do it soon.
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc3925.jpg

I guess, and it appeared to me that he got the dead body, rather killing it.
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc3937.jpg

Vuture on flight
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc4360.jpg

Fish owl
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc4014.jpg

Alarm call by chital
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc4943.jpg
Old 1st July 2011, 18:39   #29

Stork Billed Kingfisher

Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc4950.jpg
Old 26th July 2011, 20:04   #30

Bamera Male resting near a water stream during twilight

Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc4814.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks