Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2011, 19:20   #1

Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar

Life goes on!! The name Charger, B2, Sita, Mohini, Jhurjhura hit the world fame, and now their descendants showing the sign of inheriting the charm from their parents to keep the hope alive.

1st week of June, I have had the fortune to witness some of the rare sight of the Big-Cats in its natural habitat, and this eventually turned out to be the best moments of my life in the wild to witness such actions. Photographing a mating pair and witnessing them courting for two consecutive days was my seer luck and beyoned imaginations. If thats not all, hide & seek with sub adults cubs perched inside bamboo shurbs, road block by a male cub and then following day a face to face eye contact with a mom of two cubs from 3-4 meters away interfacing us left my heart incessantly pounding. But still manage to get a shaky image as my hand throbbed with that questionable eye contact as to why I am there. Following this encounter unfolded another thrill, when mom lost interest on us, and minutes later pulled out the remains of a sambar deer in the firm clasp of her teeth and crosses the road with the kill to feed her cubs waiting other side of the road. Yes – these are the next generation tigers at Bandhavgarh, and no wonder why this place host so many as all of them displayed inheriting the grace from their renowned predecessors.

From here I’ll make it more of a photologue to blend the report with visuals. I’ll deliberately not explain much on travel and accommodation etc as this is a place anyone can have plethora of info on net. Bandhavgarh has facilities to suit everyone’s budget and need. I’ll primarily focus on what to expect from this place through the pictures and intend to give a visual treat to Big-cat and wildlife chasers, will post in a piece meal manner…

Mukunda male cub (18 months), taking rest on the shade
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc5358.jpg

Dont disturb me! He was getting annyoed by the shutterbugs and the camera pointed towards him
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc5456-800x417.jpg

Who’ll say he’s just 18 months old cub, still under training – He’ll soon make his kill independently, will reach full adulthood in about 3.5 to 4 years and rule a territory
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc5426_01-800x489.jpg

Tiger doesn’t have sweat glands and needs lots of rest, water during summer to cool-off
Name:  _DSC5393.JPG
Views: 2140
Size:  247.8 KB

Morning time seems best to rest in a cool dusty track
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc5389.jpg

Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc5362.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 21st June 2011 at 20:55. Reason: Text format tags removed.
SAFIQUE is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 21:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandha

Superb photos of the tiger. Its raining tigers on Team-bhp especially from Pench, Kanha, Bandhavgar

Keep em coming
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 22:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandha

Fantastic pictures, Safique! Looking forward to your next posts...
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 22:52   #4
BHPian

Awesome pictures. This one looks like a fully grown and can't say from the pictures that he is just 18 months old. Keep adding more pictures.
joe1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 00:07   #5
BHPian

Awesome pictures with an interesting title to the travelogue.

Snaps of a mating pair is a rarity and absolutely a first for me on this forum (there was an episode on Discovery last weekend on B'garh tigers & also on tiger mating in South Africa)

Rated 5 star anticipating a heavy instalment of pics ..pics ..n more pics ..
Avid trekker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 03:51   #6
BHPian

Snap of tiger sleeping on track looking so nice . Teasers are fantastic , i hope remaining one will be amazing . Waiting for next lot .
Safari_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 06:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Great pictures, keep them coming, other details on route, stay would help.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

safique the last pic is a lovely composition man. Something different about it and the way you have shot the tiger. Good start with your travelogue.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:07   #9
BHPian

Nice pictures Safique. Waiting for more updates.
Subrat Seet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFIQUE View Post
Life goes on!! The name Charger, B2, Sita, Mohini, Jhurjhura hit the world fame, and now their descendants showing the sign of inheriting the charm from their parents to keep the hope alive.
Safique, excellent pictures. eagerly waiting for more.

After monsoons, i am seriously planning a visit to a Tiger reserve . Very keen to have a feel of the forest; and sighting a tiger will be a bonus.

For a first timer like me , which place would you suggest; Tadoba or Pench or Kanha or Bandhavgarh ? looking forward for your valuable advise on place and timing ( post monsoons or summer )

Thanks a ton in advance.

Cheers
NH
Night_Hawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:53   #11

Many thanks for all the appreciations..here is the 2nd lot

Another day: Mukundam female (mom of the two cubs, one in earlier slide) coming out in the evening time
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc5603-640x425.jpg

She took sideways but after few seconed suddently change track started coming towards our vehicle
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc5607-800x531-2.jpg

Face to face from 3-4 meters. She stopped, and as if asking why are you here?? It was difficult to sustain the eye contact, image shaken as I couldn’t hold my hand firm, most importantly knowing that she is the mother of two cubs
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc5609_01-640x417.jpg

But She decided to mind her own business rather wasting time on us
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc5611.jpg

Moved towards her left and now in search of something
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc5614.jpg

Got it!! Remain of a Sambar deer which she kept it hidden
Name:  _DSC5629.JPG
Views: 1911
Size:  245.2 KB

A sight of a lifetime from just yard – Firm clasp of her teeth and rave up muscle of the body bringing out a few the truth of this killing machine
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc5629_01-640x385-2.jpg

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd June 2011 at 13:32.
SAFIQUE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 13:00   #12
BHPian

Very nice begining to another wildlife travelogue . Superb pictures and look forward to seeing lots more as you have been lucky to have had great sightings. Its very often people come back from the safaris dissappointed, especially if its only the tiger that they want to see.
Regards.
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
Safique, excellent pictures. eagerly waiting for more.

After monsoons, i am seriously planning a visit to a Tiger reserve . Very keen to have a feel of the forest; and sighting a tiger will be a bonus.

For a first timer like me , which place would you suggest; Tadoba or Pench or Kanha or Bandhavgarh ? looking forward for your valuable advise on place and timing ( post monsoons or summer )

Thanks a ton in advance.

Cheers
NH
NH – it took me 7 different forest visits to break the jinx of first timer to sight a tiger, but every time I enjoyed the different jungles. It takes lots of craving to have a glimpse of this elusive elegant. Since you’ve it in you, you’ll sight it for sure. All four places you’ve listed are great names primarily for tigers. Out of this I’ve visited Tadoba (3days) & B’garh (4days). In Tadoba my luck didn’t turn for Tiger, but this is an excellent pristine jungle with full of animals (birds, mammals). B’garh is what I am reporting now…sighted total 8 different tigers almost 13 times in two ranges (visited total 3 ranges: Tala, Magdhi, and Khitauli). I found Tala and Magdhi is great for sighting..

Summer is best for sighting because Big-cats often needs water & shades to keep them cool, as they don’t have sweat glands. So the scope of sighting them near water hole, road tracks are very high. Interesting point to mention, summer is also a pick of mating season. so take your decision accordingly. Good luck.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Do not copy paste reply from other application. Remove font/colour tags before posting

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd June 2011 at 18:27.
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:19   #14

Crossing the road. Mission: Get the kill to her cubs
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc5635-copy.jpg

A female cub was waiting in the other side, and she was desperate to take the kill before the cub comes out on the road – Tigers are extra sensitive toward their cubs, will never brings them to broad day light unless a situation warranted
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc5635-copy2.jpg

Tiger hates to display their kill and always eats in private, secluded spot. She was moving fast to get away from us. I have heard the cubs growling soon after she inch a bit inside the bamboo bush and could see mom training the cub over the kill by not easily giving the remains of the kill to the cubs...[/FONT][/COLOR]
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc5637.jpg

End of an amazing sight..
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc5638.jpg

Another Day: Sighting ends at mating..

Evening time we sighted Kanketi resting on a water stream
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc4507.jpg

Suddently she made her mind to move out
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc4516.jpg

Jumping over the reclining tree to move towards the road
Audacity of a Tiger: Next generation raising hope–My spectacular 4 days at Bandhavgar-_dsc4521.jpg

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Do not copy paste reply from other application. Remove font/colour tags before posting

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd June 2011 at 18:29.
SAFIQUE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 16:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

My spectacular 4 days...

This part in the title along with the word "tiger" made me sense that something is special inside & Iam not disappointed. Beautiful captures. Rated 5 stars & keep adding those nice shots here
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed