Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 10:14   #1
BHPian

Mumbai to Vittal - A roadtrip

Travellers – My wife and me

Car – Indica V2 DLS TC Aug06

Distance travelled -1030kms.

Having driven 803kms from Bandra we reached Murdeshwar in the evening at around 5pm.

Mumbai to Vittal - A roadtrip-pic1.jpg

It was a very smooth drive on the NH4 upto Hubli and then onto NH63 upto

Mumbai to Vittal - A roadtrip-pic2.jpg

Ankola to connect NH17 which has been resurfaced and a pleasure to drive on.

Mumbai to Vittal - A roadtrip-pic3.jpg

We checked in at Naveen Beach Resort which as the name suggests is bang on the beach.

Mumbai to Vittal - A roadtrip-pic4.jpg

Absorbed the beautiful sunset from the beach along with hundreds of others who had come to spend their evening out there.

Mumbai to Vittal - A roadtrip-pic5.jpg

Participated in the community watching of the cricket match on a huge screen on the lawns of the resort for a while and crashed out for the night after a delicious fish curry and rice dinner.

Mumbai to Vittal - A roadtrip-pic6.jpg

Went for a long walk on the beach at sunrise and was surprised to see a lot of activity on the beach. All pleasant except for one – guys crapping. Why are our beaches used as toilets by the locals? Have seen this happening all along the Konkan coast too.

Mumbai to Vittal - A roadtrip-pic7.jpg

The fishermen who had laid out nets during the night had hauled in a rich catch of a variety of crabs and lobsters and were busy sorting it out.

Mumbai to Vittal - A roadtrip-pic8.jpg

Then there were the entrepreneurs who were getting the speed boats ready for water sports. Families were arriving by the busloads to spend the best part of the morning at the beach.

Mumbai to Vittal - A roadtrip-pic9.jpg

The hawkers selling T-shirts and junk jewellery were setting up shop too.

Name:  pic10.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  94.4 KB

After a leisurely breakfast of idli dosa, we set out for the Kollur Mookambika temple

Mumbai to Vittal - A roadtrip-pic11.jpg

Reached there in time for the pooja, got blessed and moved onwards towards Vittal.

Mumbai to Vittal - A roadtrip-pic12.jpg

Driving was a pleasure on the smooth roads and a scenic route. Reached Vittal in the evening, in time for a refreshing cuppa kapi.

Mumbai to Vittal - A roadtrip-pic13-large.jpg
magiceye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 10:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Vittal - A roadtrip

I wanted to wait till you posted the details of your return trip as well, but I can't resist the temptation.

Please post a few more photos of the nature around there. It would also be good if you could share something about the driving experience such as travel time taken, halts for breakfast/lunch along the way and so on.

Waiting for the rest of the travelogue!
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice start to the travelogue.Waiting for more pictures.IPL seems to be ruling the roost anywhere and everywhere-sigh,the kaapi looked very tempting!Sugary and milky
Old 23rd June 2011, 14:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice trip. Which road is that in the second pic? Awesome with the beach so close to the road. Must have been a enjoyable drive.

Edit: Saw the photos again and found out that it is the road to Ankola to connect NH17.

Last edited by amitwlele : 23rd June 2011 at 14:18.
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I wanted to wait till you posted the details of your return trip as well, but I can't resist the temptation.

Please post a few more photos of the nature around there. It would also be good if you could share something about the driving experience such as travel time taken, halts for breakfast/lunch along the way and so on.

Waiting for the rest of the travelogue!
Thank you honeybee. Will do needful soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Nice start to the travelogue.Waiting for more pictures.IPL seems to be ruling the roost anywhere and everywhere-sigh,the kaapi looked very tempting!Sugary and milky
Thank you ranjit. Syrprisingly the coffe was not at all sugary and milky. It was good and strong. Loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Nice trip. Which road is that in the second pic? Awesome with the beach so close to the road. Must have been a enjoyable drive.

Edit: Saw the photos again and found out that it is the road to Ankola to connect NH17.
Sorry about the confusion Amit. The second pic is on NH17. It is the Marwanthe beach. This road is between a beach and a river!

Mumbai to Vittal - A roadtrip-img_0071-large.jpg

This is between Bhatkal and Udipi.
magiceye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiceye View Post
The second pic is on NH17. It is the Marwanthe beach. This road is between a beach and a river!

This is between Bhatkal and Udipi.
All the more amazing. I have never travelled on such a road before.
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
All the more amazing. I have never travelled on such a road before.
Try driving through Marvanthe during the monsoons and at times the river level and the road level are almost the same.The Turtle Bay Resort at Marvanthe is a nice place.The sunsets at Marvanthe are also brilliant.The river is the Sowparnika river which one gets too see at Kollur as well.
ranjitp1 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Fabulous pics magiceye, I loved the first one and the one of the coffee (kaapi?)
Thanks too for the pic of the road between the river and the sea. It must be fabulously scary to drive here in the monsoons with a swollen river flowing close to road level.

I hoep you have many more pics to share. btw, where was that coffee pic taken, and any recommendations for good coffee & food in those parts?
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:11   #9
BHPian

Having driven 803kms from Bandra we reached Murdeshwar in the evening at around 5pm.

Reached there in time for the pooja, got blessed and moved onwards towards Vittal.

Deepak good to see you here at Team Bhp, did you undertake this trip in 2006 or recently. Anyways as usual nice to see good photos from your camera. I believe Murudeswar is lovely. I remember last trip i had a terrible time banged my head, had a skid with umbrella ruptured, photoflash gone and my chappals too was gone with the wind by the furious hurricane.
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:30   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukderebail View Post

Deepak good to see you here at Team Bhp, did you undertake this trip in 2006 or recently. Anyways as usual nice to see good photos from your camera. I believe Murudeswar is lovely. I remember last trip i had a terrible time banged my head, had a skid with umbrella ruptured, photoflash gone and my chappals too was gone with the wind by the furious hurricane.
Thank you Umesh. Good to see you here too! Had been to Vittal just last month. The Aug06 is the month/year that I got this car.

Last edited by magiceye : 23rd June 2011 at 16:32.
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Fabulous pics magiceye, I loved the first one and the one of the coffee (kaapi?)
Thanks too for the pic of the road between the river and the sea. It must be fabulously scary to drive here in the monsoons with a swollen river flowing close to road level.

I hoep you have many more pics to share. btw, where was that coffee pic taken, and any recommendations for good coffee & food in those parts?

Thank you selfdrive. The coffee pic was taken in a small but famous cafe 'Lakshmi Vilas' on the outskirts of Vittal in a place called Kalladka. At any given time there will be at least 5 cars parked outside and being served!
Old 24th June 2011, 13:49   #12
BHPian

Some avian life in Vittal

Vittal is a village around 35kms south of Mangalore. It is a very peaceful place where all communities live together in peace.

Mumbai to Vittal - A roadtrip-pond-large.jpg

There is a beautiful pond in front of our house which hosts a variety of avian life.

I could manage to spot

Mumbai to Vittal - A roadtrip-corm-desktop-resolution.jpg

cormorants,

Mumbai to Vittal - A roadtrip-kf-desktop-resolution.jpg

kingfishers,

Mumbai to Vittal - A roadtrip-whistlingduck-desktop-resolution.jpg

whistling ducks,

Mumbai to Vittal - A roadtrip-egret-desktop-resolution.jpg

egrets

Mumbai to Vittal - A roadtrip-bat-desktop-resolution.jpg

and plenty of bats.

Tomorrow I shall post pictures of the celebrations at the Anantheshwar temple.
Old 24th June 2011, 15:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

magiceye, I must say the photographs are amazing!

You haven't mentioned the time you started from Bandra, so could you please tell us the total time you spent on the road? What was the average speed you maintained?
Old 24th June 2011, 15:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
magiceye, I must say the photographs are amazing!

You haven't mentioned the time you started from Bandra, so could you please tell us the total time you spent on the road? What was the average speed you maintained?
Thank you honeybee.
We left Bandra at 6am and reached Murdeshwar at 5pm covering a distance of 803 kms in 11hrs which included 1/2 hr breakfast halt at McD after Pune and another 20minutes lunch break having stopped somewhere on the way eating packed lunch from home.

Most Viewed