Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2011, 12:58   #46
BHPian

Re: In Search Of “The God” – In God’s Own Country, Kerala

Hey dude, this is definitely an inspiration more than anything else.I will be driving to Munnar from Bangalore sometime in July,Hoping to have a great experience.
Old 1st July 2011, 14:00   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
Great travelogue, and great photography. Travelling on a bike and feeling the wind on the face is something that cannot be explained. And if the ride is through winding and narrow hilly roads with rain and fog, the joy after coming in one piece is really great.
Thank you Vamsi! It was jubilation within myself to encounter it all, but the mind would be worrying as to how am going to reach the destination without crashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydswift View Post
Great travelogue buddy. Visited Munnar 3 years back. Drove a car which was a great experience. Cannot imagine driving a bike. Lucky you
Thank you, It is indeed a different experience visiting it on bike and i just happen to visit these places atleast once a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvsatheesh View Post
I really enjoyed reading your full travelogue especially the pictures. I think you now found The God in Kerala :-)

Did you feel like giving up somewhere in between esp travelling in continuous rain for several hours in a stretch, that too all alone? or were you able to enjoy it instead?

Was the seating postion comfortable for such long drives or were you having a stiff/sore back? I am asking this because I have a sore back after riding in Bangalore traffic in my bike for a couple of hours in single go.
Thanks Satheesh. I did not feel like giving up, But i was kind of frustrated when i was unable to blog / connect to the internet anywhere in Kerala. Other than that the drops of rain water dripping on to my face gave me all the required motivation to keep riding!

Sore Back - I did not over ride, total kilometers covered per day was not too much (compared to 600 Km runs on the plains) - The weather played a major part by cooling up things and make you forget the kilometers passed and inviting you to go further. Riding posture is very good on the Karizma, and since i have been touring a lot on this particular bike i got used to the posture / ergonomics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
I'm sad the travelogue had ended.
Waiting for your other travelogues. Drive Safe till then!
It has not! There is one more day pending to be posted and would try to post it by weekend.

And other travelogues, would take its own time i guess since i'm not travelling much for the next few months.. Thanks for Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper21 View Post
Hey dude, this is definitely an inspiration more than anything else.I will be driving to Munnar from Bangalore sometime in July,Hoping to have a great experience.
Thanks and best wishes for your trip!

Last edited by MadBiker : 1st July 2011 at 14:01.
Old 1st July 2011, 14:55   #48
BHPian

Rate thread 5 star.

Wonderful travelogue and great pictures. It was treat to the eyes.
Beautiful narration and felt like I was riding all along with you.

Great Stuff man.

Cheers
Old 1st July 2011, 15:24   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BheemBoy View Post
Rate thread 5 star.

Wonderful travelogue and great pictures. It was treat to the eyes.
Beautiful narration and felt like I was riding all along with you.

Great Stuff man.

Cheers
Thank you! Glad you liked them!
Old 2nd July 2011, 21:06   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Some of your pics reminds me of Aaromale song. :o)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
Aaromale? Oh yes, Wish i saw a Jessie there and rode with her back to Chennai!
I just loved this conversation.
MadBiker, hope you find your Jessie soon.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2011, 19:23   #51
BHPian

Very nice pictures, well captioned & well composed travelogue (though it's a bit lengthy for me). Reminds me of my trip to Kerala, it's a really wonderful place. Your post has revived my memories & makes me feel like going back again to some of the exotic locales that you have mentioned.
Kudos to your effort
Old 3rd July 2011, 19:40   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
I just loved this conversation.
MadBiker, hope you find your Jessie soon.
Thanks! I wish i could!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunalsb View Post
Very nice pictures, well captioned & well composed travelogue (though it's a bit lengthy for me). Reminds me of my trip to Kerala, it's a really wonderful place. Your post has revived my memories & makes me feel like going back again to some of the exotic locales that you have mentioned.
Kudos to your effort
Thank you Kunal! The log might have been boring since I'm not so good in blogging. I tend to write what ever comes to my mind!
Old 4th July 2011, 22:34   #53
BHPian

Excellent Travelogue! Your pictures truly explain why Kerala is considered as God's own country!
Look forward to more travelogues from you. Ride safe!
regards
Ashok
Old 5th July 2011, 10:58   #54
BHPian

Awesome pictures and a splendid narration. Makes me want to go to Kerala right now!
Old 5th July 2011, 13:36   #55
Senior - BHPian

great travelogue Madbiker, thanks for sharing your experience and all the amazing shots. Some of the shots are just heavenly. I have been reading lot of Leh travelogues, and KL shots are such a contrast in color but still as heavenly in there own way. Next trip is Munnar for me .
Old 7th July 2011, 10:28   #56
BHPian

Madbiker, this is a great and interesting travelogue. By the way how do you come to know about Anjuruli. It is indeed a great place but is not known to the outside world that much. Did you go in to the tunnel.? It is a good experience to go in and hear the sounds of all kind of creatures like Bat, fox etc..
Old 7th July 2011, 14:35   #57
Senior - BHPian

Truly a great test of determination and riding skills, riding in such wet conditions on the hills can be a miserable experience despite the amazing green watery vistas and it needs lots of inspiration and pugnacity to do such a drive!

Quite a social networking triumph, so many tbhpers and xbhpers all over the place!

A few quick questions?

- Did you take the Vandiperiyar-Parunthampara-Pambanar route to get in and out of NH220?

- You have mentioned the 10th mile turn off point to Kavalry Mount? Can you elaborate on the coordinates for both Kavalry Mount and Anjuruli? What landmarks should one look for when turning off the Vagamon-Elappara-Kanchyar-Kattapana road? I suppose it is off the main Kuttikanam-Kattapana road?

- Did you go to Idukki/Painavu via Kattapana?

- The Painavu-Kallarkutty-Chitrapuram route sounds exciting, pity you had to cover it after dark! I am sure it must have also offered fantastic landscapes too.

- Have you uploaded the Gramin tracks of your route somewhere where we can access? I am particularly interested in seeing the Painavu-Chitrapuram route.

- Where did you turn off Pollachi-Palakkad road for Nelliyampathy?

- The Poab's Estate at Nelliyamapthy en route Seetharkundu - isn't that a private road and requires permission of the estate guys?

- The tip on using Mookupodi to get rid of leeches is great! Looks like compulsory item in mobiker's kits when riding in the Western Ghats?

- Any idea if the Vazhachal check post (after Athirapalli) closes at 530 pm or 6 pm?

- Can you also elaborate on the route taken on your second trip from Pollachi towards Vadakancherry via Kollengode?
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 18:30   #58
BHPian

Excellent travelogue and amazing photography.

All kudos to you man!!
Old 7th July 2011, 23:09   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashphil View Post
Excellent Travelogue! Your pictures truly explain why Kerala is considered as God's own country!
Look forward to more travelogues from you. Ride safe!
regards
Ashok
Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masda View Post
Awesome pictures and a splendid narration. Makes me want to go to Kerala right now!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
great travelogue Madbiker, thanks for sharing your experience and all the amazing shots. Some of the shots are just heavenly. I have been reading lot of Leh travelogues, and KL shots are such a contrast in color but still as heavenly in there own way. Next trip is Munnar for me .
Thank you. Glad you liked them. Good Luck for your trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
Madbiker, this is a great and interesting travelogue. By the way how do you come to know about Anjuruli. It is indeed a great place but is not known to the outside world that much. Did you go in to the tunnel.? It is a good experience to go in and hear the sounds of all kind of creatures like Bat, fox etc..
Thank you! I have visited the place once before (Last Monsoon) when a friend from Pambanar accompanied me. Being a local (Idukki District) he happened to know all the uncovered places and introduced me to the vastness and sereneness of the place. You can view the Travelogue here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintomin View Post
Excellent travelogue and amazing photography.

All kudos to you man!!
Thank You!
Old 8th July 2011, 01:01   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Truly a great test of determination and riding skills, riding in such wet conditions on the hills can be a miserable experience despite the amazing green watery vistas and it needs lots of inspiration and pugnacity to do such a drive!
Thanks Kumar sir! Indeed I'm grateful and Thankful to you for all the inputs before and during the trip. Thank you once again!

Quote:
- Did you take the Vandiperiyar-Parunthampara-Pambanar route to get in and out of NH220?
For Day 1: This was the route :

Kochi - Tripunithura - Muvaattupuzha - Thodupuzha - Muttom - Kurumannu - Pala - Erattupetta - Kanjirapalli - Mundakkayam - Kuttikanam - Pampanar - Vandipperiyar - Thekkady

I know you dont like this route map, but still - could not find anything else for quick link up..

Route Map : Day 1

For Day 2 :

Thekkady - Periyar Lake - Kumily - Vandiperiyar - Pambanar - (Take Left) - Parunthumpara - Pambanar - Kuttikanam - Elappara - Vagamon - Kolahalamedu - Alady - Kanchiyar -(Take Left) Anjuruli - Kanchiyar - Kattapana - Kalvary Mount (16 Kilometers From Kattapana and 10 Kilometers from Idukki Town) - Idukki - Kallarkutty - Chengulam - Chitrapuram - Munnar

Route Map : Day 2

Quote:
You have mentioned the 10th mile turn off point to Kavalry Mount? Can you elaborate on the coordinates for both Kavalry Mount and Anjuruli? What landmarks should one look for when turning off the Vagamon-Elappara-Kanchyar-Kattapana road? I suppose it is off the main Kuttikanam-Kattapana road?

Kalvary Mount : Before Narakkanam Village There is a Place called 10th Mile Take a Left from here, There is a board saying Kalvary Mount. (Kattappana - Idukki Road)

Anjuruli : Take Left from Kanchiyar Village - Ask Locals for Tunnel View Entrance - (Elappara - Kattappana Road)

Quote:
- Did you go to Idukki/Painavu via Kattapana?
Yes

Quote:
The Painavu-Kallarkutty-Chitrapuram route sounds exciting, pity you had to cover it after dark! I am sure it must have also offered fantastic landscapes too.
Yes - It was fun as well as scary since my bike was not performing well and at the same time the rain and mist added up to all the excitement. The locals helped me a great deal and few advised me to take it easy and take the interesting Chitrapuram route instead of Neriamangalam - Adimaly Route.

Quote:
- Have you uploaded the Gramin tracks of your route somewhere where we can access? I am particularly interested in seeing the Painavu-Chitrapuram route.
Sorry I have not, Rather it was my friend's GPS device - May be i can ask him to give the data from the card and i would email you / post it in the forum. I have never really tried extracting the route map from the device, will try it out this weekend.

Quote:

Where did you turn off Pollachi-Palakkad road for Nelliyampathy?
As far as i remember, It was :

Pollachi - Kollengode - Nemmara - Nelliampathy

Quote:
The Poab's Estate at Nelliyamapthy en route Seetharkundu - isn't that a private road and requires permission of the estate guys?
It is a Private Estate - You need to register at the entrance - No fees - Just register with vehicle number, address and phone number. Mostly they are friendly enough, a smile works wonders.

*Do Not Show the Camera's - Some Security would take the camera's and would return it only when you come back* Since its a private place, Its better to keep the camera's in the vehicle and use it after venturing into the estate..

Quote:
The tip on using Mookupodi to get rid of leeches is great! Looks like compulsory item in mobiker's kits when riding in the Western Ghats?
It is not a must, But useful. It is a must if one is riding in the middle of monsoons, other than that - one just needs to be careful and not to venture too much into the tea estates.

Having said that carrying Salt (or a Cigarette Lighter) would be very much useful.

Quote:
Any idea if the Vazhachal check post (after Athirapalli) closes at 530 pm or 6 pm?
Officially it is 6 PM - But if it is dark - They might not allow after 5 30 PM also. The loop hole is, the Malakkapara town - One might escape saying they are lodging in Malakkapara and still venture into the forest at night. They allow maximum upto 6 30 PM.

Quote:
Can you also elaborate on the route taken on your second trip from Pollachi towards Vadakancherry via Kollengode?
It is the same route as the previous day.. just after Nemmara i went ahead straight..

Pollachi - Meenakshipuram - Kollengode - Nemmara - Chittilamcherri - Vadakkancherry and carried on towards - Thrissur - Chalakudy - Aluva - Aroor - Chertala - Alappuzha

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks