Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 09:27   #31
BHPian

Re: PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011

Thank you, Karthik and Himavanth.

It's female - males have a bright red beak.
Old 20th December 2011, 19:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

Lovely photographs airguitar. You really have travelled a lot this year it seems and the year is still not over
Old 21st December 2011, 13:04   #33
BHPian

Hail the new Brand Ambassador for Karnataka Tourism. Great snaps AG and will PM you next time i intend visiting any of the above featured places.

Thanks !!!
Old 21st December 2011, 13:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

[quote=airguitar;2614434]

The drive up Kundadri was scary, just after the rains that day in September, 0 vehicular traffic, dense undergrowth on either side, very narrow road, kept us guessing if we were heading the right way all along.
Bangalore - Thirthahalli - Kundadri - Thirthahalli - Jog - Bangalore. Don't ever miss out buying out pineapples around Jog or between Jog - Sagar. Ever!

This trip was after one Mr. Fauji called up to say Linganamakki was open. The original idea was to reach Bhatkal/Murudeshwar on day 1 and return via Kanuru Kote, Kargal, Jog falls, but didn't materialize in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Don't miss the AneJhari view point near Kulagi. Fantastic valley-view + it's also supposed to be a leopard sighting point. Kulagi Nature camp has very clean rooms/accommodation. It's being given a makeover with additional/big rooms coming up in the Timber trails annex.

Discoveries/Recommendations of the year( from my experience or from my family's ):
1. Soan Farms : Moodabidri
2. Ottinane view point
3. Simha Farms Near Kodachadri
4. Pilikula Nisargadhama

More updates coming later this week
Arun,

Outsanding pictures. Specially of the birdsWhich camera/lens are you using for birds?

So finally you made it to Jog when it was in full glow and the picture is superb.

Did you take any more pictures on top of Kundadri? Why don't you post them here?

Thanks for your recommendation on Soan farms. I had heard about them long ago. However, I have had mixed review of Simha Farms though.

Lastly, nice to see the pictures of Linganamakki backwaters at Holebagilu. It is just awesome and reminded of our trip in Malnad last august.
Old 23rd December 2011, 20:29   #35
BHPian

Thank you Rajesh, Kaushik and Fauji.

Rajesh : by all means!
Old 24th December 2011, 10:46   #36
BHPian

Fauji,

I use a Nikkor 70-300 VR - haven't come close to perfecting it - will continue working on it - the images are not as sharp as I'd have liked - esp at Ganeshgudi where very little light filters in - the best light is at around 2.30 PM - 5 PM and that's the best time for bird photography there.
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 11:00   #37
BHPian

These are from the Madurai trip. There was just one agenda : visit the Meenakshi temple. There was not much energy to explore nor the intention to - we had booked the Gateway at Pasumalai. We just wanted to hang out at the property for the maximum time. It's a beautiful property, the half kilometre from the bustling Madurai - Virudhunagar main road is a revelation : quiet, junglish feel to it, with numerous mongooses, a jackal and many peacocks greeting us. The sudden change makes it hard to believe you're in the midst of a city : it's pretty calm and situated atop a hillock, the night views of the city below are spectacular from atop. We'd decided that we'd not venture out much until the next morning.

The total drive time from Bangalore was around 5 hrs 45 minutes, excluding a 30 minute hold up near Samayanallur where the traffic converges into a 2 lane undivided road.

Don't miss having the JigarThanda at the local juice shops in Madurai. Breakfast at Saravana Bhavan on East Veli St was decent ( no, it's not the same HSB we all know ).

The Ayurvedic Spa at the Gateway is a worth a visit.

Another trip was the one to Thennangur : about 33 kms on the Kanchipuram - Vandavasi road, a right turn about 6 kms before Vandavasi.
The roads are very bad, but scenic alright. The Panduranga temple is beautiful and very clean. Also, do visit the Shiva temple close by. We didn't have the temple to ourselves that day : there were 5 busloads of Melmaruvathur devotees visiting this temple enroute - so it was crowded that day. En-route, try to visit the Koozhamandal Pesum Perumal temple ( "The Lord Who Talks" ) at Koozhamandal village.

Also, some more pictures from the Ganeshgudi trip described earlier as well.

Peacocks at the Gateway Hotel, Madurai
PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_0106.jpg

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_0128.jpg

The road down the Gateway Hotel leading to the main road
PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_0147.jpg

Thennangur Panduranga temple
PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_0174.jpg

Thennangur Panduranga temple
PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_0182.jpg

OTHERS:
Early sunlight filtering through the canopy at Ganeshgudi
PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_0186.jpg

Bommanahalli pickup dam, aka BP dam backwaters, Kulagi - Bhaagavathi road
PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_0289.jpg

Sunbirds near home, enroute to one of the trips

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-sunbird1.jpg

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-sunbird2.jpg

Last edited by airguitar : 30th December 2011 at 11:03.
Old 30th December 2011, 11:11   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
These are from the Madurai trip. There was just one agenda : visit the Meenakshi temple. There was not much energy to explore nor the intention to - we had booked the Gateway at Pasumalai. We just wanted to hang out at the property for the maximum time. It's a beautiful property, the half kilometre from the bustling Madurai - Virudhunagar main road is a revelation : quiet, junglish feel to it, with numerous mongooses, a jackal and many peacocks greeting us. The sudden change makes it hard to believe you're in the midst of a city : it's pretty calm and situated atop a hillock, the night views of the city below are spectacular from atop. We'd decided that we'd not venture out much until the next morning.
@Airguitar: Very good narration backed by great pics. Shall take a cue or two during our getaways next year.
Old 30th December 2011, 18:54   #39
BHPian

@airguitar - fantastic pics, you visited so many beautiful places all in one year. Shall keep an eye on your trip details and beautiful snaps Thanks for sharing.
Old 8th January 2012, 19:17   #40
BHPian

Thank you, Avon and Kiran.

Uploading another set of pics from the Ganeshgudi trip, with this I wrap up this travelogue.

@Fauji : Unfortunately couldn't find the photographs taken atop Kundadri. In any case, they were completely hazy due to mist.

Thank you, All.

Black headed Munia
PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-black-headed-munia.jpg

Bluecapped RockThrush
PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-blue-capped-rock-thrush.jpg

Brown Cheeked Fulvetta
PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-brown-cheeked.jpg

Chestnut-headed bee eater
PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-chestnut-headed.jpg

Anejhari view point near Kulagi
PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_0262.jpg

Bommanahalli Pickup dam
PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_0295.jpg

Langoor, Kulagi ( Kulagi is full of them )
PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-langoor.jpg

Tarantulla Spider
PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-tarantulla.jpg

Unknown Bird
PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-unknown.jpg

Malabar Pied Hornbill
PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-malabar-pied-hornbill.jpg

Last edited by airguitar : 8th January 2012 at 19:19.

Most Viewed