Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2011, 19:05   #1
BHPian

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011

Folks, Greetings.

Been a much different year so far in terms of travel. Last year it was all about squealing in excitement and marveling at Nature's works, for most of my trips were first-time-here kind of trips. This year, it's very different, it's a repeat of the places I'd been to last year, taking lesser known roads, but to the same destinations nevertheless. It's been all about studiously checking them, comparing with what they were like last year and so on.

There have been many trips this year, as usual, many around the Western Parts of the state. Nothing new about the places themselves, extensively talked about on these forums, so will just stick some of the photographs I took in here.. Will chime in with commentary if I saw something unusual/lesser known details.

I'll start with my latest trip :

Ayyankere - Belur - Sakleshpur - Hanabalu - Deva Vrinda - Hosakere - Mudigere Handpost - Charmadi Ghats - Dharamasthala - Bangalore ( June 2011 )
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1772.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1785.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1830.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1846.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1854.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1858.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1879.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1921.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1935.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1937.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1953.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_2020.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_2078.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_2199.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_2082.jpg  

Last edited by airguitar : 26th June 2011 at 19:31.
airguitar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2011, 19:49   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: The year thus far

Wow! @Ag can't imagine what monsoon can do to all the water levels!
Allow me to add just one snap of the same location of Ayyanakere lake.

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc01267_modified.jpg
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2011, 19:52   #3
BHPian

Sorry, couldn't edit the previous post. Few more from this trip.

The road Hanabalu - Devavrunda - Mekanagadde - Hosakere is pretty exciting. The 6km stretch between Mekanagadde and Hosakere was a bit scary with the rains, elephant dung was noticeable all along the narrow road. No fuel station from Hanabalu up until Mudigere handpost, so fuel up before you embark.

Don't miss visiting the Prasanna Rameshwara Temple at Devavrunda.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1982.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1988.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_2192.jpg  

Old 26th June 2011, 20:00   #4
BHPian

Amp, thanks, yes have seen that one ( a similar one ) before. The transformation is massive.

The road from Sakharayapatna to Ayyanakere is being worked on, so there were small hold ups.
Old 26th June 2011, 22:36   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Amp, thanks, yes have seen that one ( a similar one ) before. The transformation is massive.

The road from Sakharayapatna to Ayyanakere is being worked on, so there were small hold ups.
Yes, even I was stunned, when I looked at that snap. Never ever thought the lake can ever become dry! Where does that flow lead down below? I did not see any major stream or rivulet down the main road.
Old 27th June 2011, 19:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011

Hey, great pictures. A description about the place and possibly how to get there would help.
Old 28th June 2011, 09:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes, even I was stunned, when I looked at that snap. Never ever thought the lake can ever become dry! Where does that flow lead down below? I did not see any major stream or rivulet down the main road.
Quote:

Thanks Ampere and Airguitar.

I was about to comment on dried up lake and then get stunned by Ampere's picture. It is just too good. Thanks for sharing. This is still not much touristed spot and hope it will retain its charm. Saw this write up in DH on the lake. It is possible that the excess water must be feeding a tributary of Bhadra.
Ayyanakere lifeline of Sakharayapatna villages

Airguitar - Excellent pictures. One friendly suggestion. Pls give a caption to these pictures so that those who haven't been to these places will be able to apprciate it better.

Looking forward to more pictures
Old 28th June 2011, 18:59   #8
Team-BHP Support

My question was still not answered. The water which flows down that lake; where does it lead to? I did not see any rivulet/stream on the road (CKM-Sakkarepatna).
Old 29th June 2011, 08:17   #9
BHPian

Sure Fauji Saab - but I've not yet figured out on how to add inline caption after all these posts on this forum :(. Amp, AFAIK, the water is only used for irrigation and drinking water supply - it's managed by the local water supply board.

Next ( Some of these are my travel notes/entries from my personal weblog )

A bit from my Nuggehalli trip ( Hoskote - Channarayapatna - Nuggehalli - Tiptur - Devanahalli - Hoskote, April 2011 )

Nuggehalli

This is a village on the Channarayapatna -> Tiptur state highway about 30 kms from Tiptur, 18 kms from Channarayapatna. It has the stamp of the usual Hoysala architecture and it's resemblance to the more well-known temples of Belur and Halebidu is the first thing you notice. Nuggehalli is far from a quiet unknown village - it's a bustling townish village - known mostly for it's 5 or 6 temples - Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy and Sadashiva being the most popular of them.

The area around the temple is an Agrahara ( Brahmin Settlement ). It does appear that the subsequenty generations of families have branched off and settled elsewhere, but do regularly visit ( Citation needed ) - most notably during the Chaitra Masa Pournime Ratotsava ( Full moon day of the Chaitra Month ). The CR Patna - Tiptur road is in decent condition, except for small patches. It's also narrow in some stretches, but is being widened.

Being a much smaller temple/lesser known place, the priests of both the Sadashiva temple and the Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy temple work flexi timings ( as with most small temples ). The best time to visit is around 10AM ( they typically open then ). And in the evenings, it's open between 7 PM and 8 PM. Although upon request, the priests open the temple for visitors during off hours as well ( the priest lives in the road right opposite to the temple and you can make a local enquiry )

There is also the remains of the fort built - a gate near the temple dedicated to Lord Ganesha ( I was unable to enquire or visit as it was getting dark in the evening )

History ( From Tourism Dept's boards placed at the temple)

A saint by name Rushabha performed penance and pleased with his devotion, Lord Narasmiha Swamy appeared before him and blessed him. During the reign of Someshwara Hoysala, his aide Bommanna Dandanayaka visited the place with his guru Pundarikaksha Somayaji and at Somayaji's behest, built the Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple in 1246 AD, in a trikutachala concept ( 3 deities are present in the LakshmiNarayana Swamy Temple- Kesava, Narasimha and Gopala ) and also setup the agrahara under the name "Vijaya Somanathapura". The Sadashiva Temple was built in 1249 AD by Kilaka. The name Nuggehalli came into being in the 14-15th century during the Vijayanagara empire - Nuggu meaning "Move fast or attack" a term used by the Palegara of that period.

Later during the Vijayanagara empire, more additions were made to the temple in terms of the present navaranga with granite pillars and also the Alwar Sannidhi.

The Sadshiva temple (1) and the LakshmiNarasimhaswamy temple (2)
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-sadashiva-temple-nuggehalli.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-lakshminarasimha-nuggehalli.jpg  

Last edited by airguitar : 29th June 2011 at 08:19.
Old 29th June 2011, 10:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure Fauji Saab - but I've not yet figured out on how to add inline caption after all these posts on this forum
Nuggehalli

The Sadshiva temple (1) and the LakshmiNarasimhaswamy temple (2)
Airguitar,

It is simple.

If you are doing post processing in Picassa, you can add inline caption.

Otheriwse simple thing to do is

a) Type caption in bold
b) Select the picture which is uploaded by clicking the "clip" icon in the tool bar - next to Smiley
c) Press enter and you will have the picture under the caption

For example

Valley view on the way from Tirthahalli to Kollur
PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_0170.jpg

Nuggehalli has a small and beautiful Hoysala temple. In fact Hassan district is so rich with Hoysala temples it will need five days just to cover them. This guy Viajayanand is doing an excellent job in cataloguing all temples in Karnataka. Here is a link from his website which list out temples in Hassan.

Temples of Karnataka - Temples in Hassan District

Hope you had a chance to see temples in Hullekere which are close to Tiptur.
Old 29th June 2011, 23:40   #11
BHPian

Thanks, Fauji. That's an exhaustive list. I now have Inferiority Complex.
Old 20th July 2011, 00:05   #12
BHPian

July 2011

Sakleshpur - Dharmasthala - Mangalore - Padubidri - Belman - Nitte - Karkala - Bajagoli - SK Border - Kuduremukha - Samse - Kalasa - Horanadu - Kalasa - Hirebyle - Sunkasale - Kelaguru -Javali -Balur post - Kottigehara -Banakal - Mudigere - Makonahalli -Gendehalli -Belur - Hassan - Bangalore

Constant attention at work and at errands at home were getting to us. Let's visit Horanadu, we thought. We hadn't heard good things about the Silent Valley Resort, so decided to either opt for a stay at CKM or at Mangalore.

We decided to take a small detour to Dharmasthala and then turn back and then head back to stay at Ginger, Mangalore.

NH 48 has become a pleasure to drive - was able to get to Hassan in 3 hours 30 minutes ( I stay 30 kms away from Bangalore towards Kolar) !

Kept raining incessantly through the day ( as you'd expect ), rain bucketing down right after we cross Alur bypass. The Gundya Hole that runs along the NH 48 after Sakleshpur, looked very agitated. You've to see the force to believe! Scary. After the Darshan at Dharmasthala, it was a scary night drive under heavy rains to Mangalore.

The next day, we started quite early, it was dark right through the morning. Stopped at Hotel Prakash in Karkala ( you need to get into the town ) for a quick breakfast. ( Recommended - good hotel. Clean hotel, quick service, good food. Also offers lodging facilities. )

Then headed towards Kuduremukha. It sure changes a lot with the monsoons. Atleast 2 big waterfalls ( including the Kadambi, that runs like a silver line in the summer, but thundering down during the monsoons ). Then reached Horanadu through Kalasa. This was a family trip - so lots of spices, dry fruits, coffee, tea, Kokum concentrate were bought. The myriad smells at these shops are tantalizing.

The Bhadra bridge crossing before Horanadu is memorable for anyone who's done it, and scary if you've done during monsoons. The river crashes about inches below the bridge. What a sight!

BTW, Just before Horanadu, there is a board to Sringeri - 66 kms. Looks a new road, would love to take it some day. Anyone taken this ? What is the route ?

The Horanadu temple is open until 10 PM with Puja between 6.30 AM and 9 AM; Between 11 Am and 2 PM ; Between 7 PM and 9.30 PM.

Back down via Kalasa ; stop for some tea at Kelaguru and back to Bangalore, after dinner at Kamat, CR Patna ( Well, I don't know if it's embarrassing or a nice feeling for the hotel staff to have started recognizing you now, not just this hotel but many : Kamat : Dobbaspet, CR Patna, Mysore road; Ossoor hotel : Sakleshpur; Krishna Inn : Shoolagiri; Kamat Cafe : Thirthahalli and many more )

Some pictures

1. Kadambi Falls, Kuduremukha NP, April 2010
2. Kadambi Falls, Kuduremukha NP, July 2011. Yes, that's what the rains do.
3. Gundya Hole, After Sakleshpur
4. 5. 6. 7. Kuduremukha NP
8. Falls 1, Kuduremukha NP, Just before Kadambi falls
9. Caved In, Kuduremukha NP
10. 11. Near KIOCL Township
12. Bhadra River
13. Tea estate, Samse
14. Bhadra in near spate, Horanadu
15. Kelaguru
16. A small falls, Sunkasale
17. Hemavathi River Source, Javali
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_0781.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1556.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1443.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1484.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1497.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1505.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1531.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1534.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1565.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1579.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1594.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1599.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1611.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1612.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1628.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1629.jpg  

PICS : My Trips thus far in 2011-dsc_1636.jpg  

Last edited by airguitar : 20th July 2011 at 00:25.
Old 20th July 2011, 13:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

AG,

First, I'd like to applaud you for venturing in to the very little known places and off the touristy circuit. Not many people try to venture off from the known places. For example, I don't see any other person (read as tourist) who would want to go through the Hanbal-Devarunda-Hoskere route.

Secondly, The pictures are lovely

Thirdly, I wish I had the time and more importantly, the 'moolah' to go on such trips frequently

Quote:
Then headed towards Kuduremukha. It sure changes a lot with the monsoons. Atleast 2 big waterfalls ( including the Kadambi, that runs like a silver line in the summer, but thundering down during the monsoons ).
The other falls is called Yenne Halla. If you have noticed, there is a moss covered plaque written on the bridge that it was constructed by the Border Roads Organization. IIRC, the Kudremukh-Karkala road was constructed by the BRO and they sure did a pretty good job.

Quote:
The Bhadra bridge crossing before Horanadu is memorable for anyone who's done it, and scary if you've done during monsoons. The river crashes about inches below the bridge. What a sight!
Wow!!! that looks scary. I went to Kudremukh and Horanadu during the first weekend of July and the scene was nothing like this. The Bhadra was flowing as calm as ever.

Quote:
BTW, Just before Horanadu, there is a board to Sringeri - 66 kms. Looks a new road, would love to take it some day. Anyone taken this ? What is the route ?
This road joins the Kalasa-Sringeri road after a few kms. You will reach Sringeri via Basrikatte. I've taken this route a few years back and it was bad then.

Quote:
(Well, I don't know if it's embarrassing or a nice feeling for the hotel staff to have started recognizing you now, not just this hotel but many : Kamat : Dobbaspet, CR Patna, Mysore road; Ossoor hotel : Sakleshpur; Krishna Inn : Shoolagiri; Kamat Cafe : Thirthahalli and many more )
That is quite an achievement. (btw, do people nearer to home know you at all?)

Quote:
8. Falls 1, Kuduremukha NP, Just before Kadambi falls
9. Caved In, Kuduremukha NP
17. Hemavathi River Source, Javali
The falls 1 is called Yenne Halla

The huge cave in happened around 2-3 years back (IIRC) in the monsoon.

Did you happen to visit the birthplace of the river? It is a very nice and calm place with not much human activity.
Old 20th July 2011, 22:56   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
AG,

First, I'd like to applaud you for venturing in to the very little known places and off the touristy circuit. Not many people try to venture off from the known places. For example, I don't see any other person (read as tourist) who would want to go through the Hanbal-Devarunda-Hoskere route.

Secondly, The pictures are lovely

Thirdly, I wish I had the time and more importantly, the 'moolah' to go on such trips frequently
Thank you, Addy. Like most of us, exploring something new has a sense of achievement. My biggest nightmare though is encountering an elephant on those narrow roads. And , the moolah - I save up for trips cutting down other expenses - and they are not that frequent, not definitely this year.

Quote:
The other falls is called Yenne Halla. If you have noticed, there is a moss covered plaque written on the bridge that it was constructed by the Border Roads Organization. IIRC, the Kudremukh-Karkala road was constructed by the BRO and they sure did a pretty good job.
I didn't know the name of that falls. I've never seen the SK Border - Kuduremukha stretch broken - so yeh, good job.

Quote:
Wow!!! that looks scary. I went to Kudremukh and Horanadu during the first weekend of July and the scene was nothing like this. The Bhadra was flowing as calm as ever.
Yes, unforgettable. This is my second visit to Horanadu at this time of the year, last year it was a bit less scary, but it still was flowing fast.

Quote:
That is quite an achievement. (btw, do people nearer to home know you at all?)
Not really, I'm the quiet sort of guy. A better question would have been "do people at home know you at all ?"

Quote:
Did you happen to visit the birthplace of the river? It is a very nice and calm place with not much human activity.
No - was too tired to deviate.
Old 20th July 2011, 23:29   #15
Team-BHP Support

Wow that is some info flowing from you guys!

I think you should start a BHP trekking club!

Very nice details and sure that bridge looks scary!

Most Viewed