Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2011, 09:26   #1
Team-BHP Support

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur

So, with all the rain and beautiful weather in B'lore on saturday, there was simply no way I could let this day go. I controlled my urge to go for a coffee/drive during the day fearing water logged streets and traffic jams.

Finally, as evening came on, the urge came back. At 2130, I broadcasted a message to all the BHPians I know and some other friends who'd accompanied me on road trips asking if anyone was interested in a drive. Most came back negative. Driverace said no too because he was out the whole day and tired. I simply couldn't take a no for an answer and persuaded him to get ready. I picked him up by 2200 for a "quick" drive. He suggested Mysore rd. CCD or Rasta Cafe.

When I'd go onto the road, I felt like a 20km radius drive but a seconds later, I wanted more. So, when Ace was in the car, I conveyed my intentions and he asked where I wanted to go. And what came to mind first was : Chikmagalur.

And Chikamagalur it was! We called some more people to get them into the plan; but most said no. Abhinav.s first said no but then better sense prevailed on him and he agreed for a Rasta Cafe drive. I talked him into going all the way to Chikmagalur.

So, at 2315, the 3 BHPians : Ace, Abhinav.s and I set off for a quickie to the origin of CCD.

Ace's GPS was set to guide us. So, we go onto Old Madras Rd -> Hebbal and then NH4. There was quite some traffic jam there as trucks were dominating the road. Half an hour later, we got onto the actual NH4 and were cruising comfortably. Abhinav asked the toll guy for directions and the exit to be taken.

Somehow, we ended up missing the exit to be taken for the best route to Chikmagalur (read NH48); and we realized this only because of my paranoia that we might have overshot. We'd reached Tumkur by then. Ace's GPS then did some route-recalculation and asked us to take the exit into some sleepy town. It suggested us the route thru' NH206.

So, NH206 we go onto. At about 1am, we took a quick tea break. The chai fella served us some sweet sweet tea; we had 2 cups each and set off again. We passed Gubbi and then Tiptur; all thru' out busy chatting away to glory and humming to songs playing on the ICE.

About an hour or so later, we stopped over for fuel. Abhinav woke up the attendants at the 24-hour pump. The car drank quite some and we were good to go. At the pump, Ace was busy setting the camera so we could have a group pic; all this while the pump attendant was standing behind him with a smug look on his face. I gave Ace the hint that we should just ask him to take the pic. The smugness changed to happiness and we had our group pic. 3 BHPians and the ride.

We took another pit-stop an hour later; this time at some KSRTC stop. Had tea and were back on the road again. Here, Abhinav took the front seat and Ace slipped into the back.

At 3.30am, we were forced into a halt at a railway crossing. I've always enjoyed these! We got down, chatted with the person manning the crossing, clicked some pics and started on our way.

Just before Chikmagalur, the condition of the road was quite bad; it was mostly cemented so huge cracks. As a result, our average speed reduced drastically.

Ace's GPS was now doing a decent job. As we neared Chikmagalur, we were worried about the altitude; since it didn't seem like we were climbing! It reminded me of my Wayanad trip when we thought Wayanad was a hill-station and were confused because we never "climbed". Ace was busy finding altitudes of B'lore, Wayanad and Chikmagalur to assure us that we were indeed going to a "hill" station. Ace's GPRS got to work and assured us Chikmagalur was actually at a much higher altitude!

We however couldn't find any "hills" or coffee plantations.

At about 5am, we finally reached Chikmagalur and guess what, there were people walking on the streets! Why couldn't they just remain tucked in bed?! We weren't getting much of the roads, directions and coffee plantations so thought we should just rest for a while. Then found a good parking spot and slept off. While Abhinav and Ace could manage a wink, I just couldn't get any sleep. While they snored away to glory, I managed to keep my eyes shut and wondering what a pathetic life I leaded for not being able to sleep when I wished to!

By 6, the road had more pedestrians on morning walk than vehicles. By 6.20am, everyone was up and we finally saw the "hills"!! Abhinav remembered the name of the peak : Mullayanagiri. So, we set off for there. We missed the road yet again; this time Ace's GPS was not at fault though.

Finally found the correct route and started the ascent. Just then, the clouds started descending on the hills and everything just turned mesmerizing!

We drove thru' the clouds on the hill and the drive was getting more amazing by the minute; we stopped thrice for a photoshoot. After a while, the road narrowed up significantly and there was enough room for just one vehicle. There was a ditch on one side and the valled on the other. Luckily, it being that early, there was no traffic. We made it to the top; which was about an half an hour's walk away from the peak (vehicles could go only a certain distance). Given the clouds and our tiredness, we decided not to trek there. Soaked in the rich air and then started our way back. On the way down, we encountered quite some vehicles which were on their way up.

The clouds were clearing up and the sun was setting out; so we had gone at the best possible time! We found our way to a sleepy Chikmagalur town; found the only place open for breakfast and hogged a bit. Actually, not much; since there were only some dishes available. We also got some plum cake; checked the time and decided it was time to get home.

The return journey started at about 9am. This time, we knew there was a better route so were on the lookout for it. We found NH48 and go onto it. Man, the highway, freshly laid, was pure bliss to drive on! There is massive highway expansion going on but it doesn't hamper the flow of traffic. It is only on 3-4 occassions when traffic flows on the same lane.

We made our first pit stop at a CCD (on NH48 itself). Had nice hot coffee, took a dump, freshened up and resumed our journey half an hour later. The temp. was rising so the a/c came on. NH48 was a pleasure to drive on. Ace was dozed off for just a bit; Abhinav was one of the best co-pilots a driver could ever have. There was simply no second we were not talking! It kept me fresh all thru' out the drive; no fatigue, no tiredness. The 3 of us talked about everything under the sun! After 150-odd kms, we joined NH4 at Neelmangala. NH4 was the usual highway with intermittent truck traffic. We were careful to find the NICE road entry and took it. Although the road was good; the weather was humid.

We then took the Banerghetta road exit and were soon stuck in a massive traffic jam. Some fool from the oncoming lane wanted to take a right turn at a T-junction and in the process blocked traffic up to miles on both sides! The entire stretch till Jayanagar was a pain in the neck. Fatigue set in in those few kms!

We did some errand I had to attend to and then dropped Abhinav off. Ace came next and I finally found my parking slot at 4pm.

The AMAZING road trip had come to an end. What a trip; what a terrific trip! The roads were just right; the music was just good; and the drive just perfect.

Credits :

Me : Driver
Abhinav : Co-pilot and navigator, one of the best ones;
Ace : Guide, Entertainer

Stats :

Round-trip distance : 624kms
Round-trip time : 14 hours
Round-trip fuel : Avg. FE : 16+ km/l

Remember how you always want to just think of something diff. and actually do it; with the perfect bunch of people? Well, this trip was one of those.

Last edited by Eddy : 28th June 2011 at 21:05. Reason: Corrected typo
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 09:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur

The lull before the storm

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00632.jpg

Good to go!

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00635.jpg

NH4

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00636.jpg

Brief halt

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00640.jpg

Chai break, 1am

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00642.jpg

Ready when you are, Captain!

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00643.jpg

Fuel for the ride

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00647.jpg

3 BHPians and the ride

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00652.jpg

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00656.jpg

STOP, WAIT, PROCEED

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00658.jpg

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00659.jpg

The growl!

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00661.jpg

Arrival at Chikmagalur

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00664.jpg

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th June 2011 at 09:33.
Old 28th June 2011, 09:42   #3
Team-BHP Support

Up from the power nap!

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00665.jpg

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00666.jpg

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00667.jpg

En route Mullayanagiri Peak

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00669.jpg

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00672.jpg

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00673.jpg

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00678.jpg

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00682.jpg

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00686.jpg

At Mullayanagiri Peak

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00695.jpg

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00698.jpg

Landslide

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00699.jpg

Into a coffee estate

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00702.jpg

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00705.jpg

Coffee beans

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00709.jpg

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00711.jpg

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00716.jpg
Old 28th June 2011, 09:47   #4
Team-BHP Support

All set to get home!

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00717.jpg

Break for Coffee and more : CCD, NH48

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00718.jpg

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00720.jpg

Abhinav just gave his first supari for the day

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00719.jpg

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00721.jpg

Back to base

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do : Night drive to Chikmagalur-dsc00725.jpg

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th June 2011 at 09:51.
Old 28th June 2011, 09:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue Nishad, Loved reading it and nice snaps. The ride looks good too! Please do add some more pictures of Chikmagalur where you actually went.

I too love night driving and but don't get much chance to ride overnight because of not getting parent's permission. I usually drive on empty Delhi roads in night most of the time to beautifully lit up India Gate and do photo shoots with some friends.

Last edited by bluevolt : 28th June 2011 at 10:09.
Old 28th June 2011, 10:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey Libran ,
Nice trip you had there. In one words "mast"!! hehe!!
Trips at the drop of the hat are perfect!!
That guy in Green T-shirt is Abhinav, is it ?

@Abhinav: boy, I just congratulated you yesterday for your would be fatherhood. Get responsible, will ya!! just kidding!!
Have fun till you have time. You gonna be busy like hell afterwards.

@Ace: And that is why there are no updates on your Coffee Time story thread?
Old 28th June 2011, 11:04   #7
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

libran, ace, abhinav - nice TL and lovely pics, thanks for sharing !
Definitely proves that most unplanned, sudden trips are successful and fun too (we need those bouts of randomness in an otherwise predictable, monotonous world).

A small note, seems like a typo, hope you meant NH48, not 58 (ghaziabad-badrinath I think) !

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
We made our first pit stop at a CCD (on NH58 itself). Had nice hot coffee, took a dump, freshened up and resumed our journey half an hour later. The temp. was rising so the a/c came on.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:08   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Nice travelogue Nishad, Loved reading it and nice snaps. The ride looks good too!
Thanks pal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Hey Libran ,
Nice trip you had there. In one words "mast"!! hehe!!
Trips at the drop of the hat are perfect!!
That guy in Green T-shirt is Abhinav, is it ?

@Abhinav: boy, I just congratulated you yesterday for your would be fatherhood. Get responsible, will ya!! just kidding!!
Have fun till you have time. You gonna be busy like hell afterwards.
Yep, Abhinav it is in the green tee.

About him becoming a dad and future road trips; we have a solution. A "Baby on Board" sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
libran, ace, abhinav - nice TL and lovely pics, thanks for sharing !
Definitely proves that most unplanned, sudden trips are successful and fun too (we need those bouts of randomness in an otherwise predictable, monotonous world).

A small note, seems like a typo, hope you meant NH48, not 58 (ghaziabad-badrinath I think) !
Thanks!

Yea, NH48 it is. Just that 1 place where it's a typo. I'll ask MODS to change it.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:15   #9
BHPian

Unplanned trips have a charm of their own. Congrats to the 3 of you for being adventurous and brave

I had been to Mullayangiri last week. The place was totally foggy and out of this world. It was great fun to take up the challenge of dirving in that narrow road with almost nill visibility and absolutely no other vehicle around. Check out the snaps I have uploaded http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-malnad-5.html

You could have also driven to Bababudan giri - another great drive in the clouds (perhaps another Saturday, another unplanned trip )

Regards

VW
Old 28th June 2011, 11:22   #10
BHPian

I read this thread v quickly, as some internal audits are going in my office, what I could understand is you drove
"Round-trip distance : 624kms
Round-trip time : 14 hours" just to have chai and coffee? And does CCD means cafe coffee day or some secret treasure code ? please correct me if I am wrong..
Old 28th June 2011, 11:23   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely trip and pics.
Nothing beats a group of friends on a long drive.

Cheers!
Old 28th June 2011, 11:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
I read this thread v quickly, as some internal audits are going in my office, what I could understand is you drove
Round-trip time : 14 hours" just to have chai and coffee? And does CCD means cafe coffee day or some secret treasure code ? please correct me if I am wrong..
Hi nick, I like what you understood .Very fair interpretation, I must say.
And yes CCD surely means Cafe' Coffee Day.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Hi nick, I like what you understood .Very fair interpretation, I must say.
And yes CCD surely means Cafe' Coffee Day.
hmm..hats off mannn !! you guys aint married, aint you?
Old 28th June 2011, 11:44   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
You could have also driven to Bababudan giri - another great drive in the clouds (perhaps another Saturday, another unplanned trip )
You said it!

Quote:
Yes sir. That is exactly what we did; though we did it for a drive!
CCD is Cafe Coffee Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Lovely trip and pics.
Nothing beats a group of friends on a long drive.

Cheers!

Quote:
hmm..hats off mannn !! you guys aint married, aint you?
Abhinav is; Ace and I aren't.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th June 2011 at 11:46.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:46   #15
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2011 at 16:17.
nick17s is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks