Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 19:15   #1
BHPian

Pune to Coorg (My Eden); Coorg to Pune in a Gypsy - Travelogue

1000 kms, 20 hours - One heck of-a ride, and I realise its been dad's dream run for 15 years!!! I was so very thrilled to hear it out from the horses mouth...

On one simple call with my dad, I asked him if he was interested in driving all the way to coorg in the gypsy. As usual he was excited like a 5 yr old kid. So on the D day dad lands in pune, just for a sake of driving back to coorg with me. So we start off with the route plan.

DAD:- Shall we take the NH4 till shimoga and take NH till Hassan and then drive on SH till coorg.
Me:- No lets try a new route, NH4 till hubli, then deviate into unknown roads till Gokarna, then we will find the Kochi highway
DAD:- Bad idea!!! lets try that
The Map
Pune to Coorg (My Eden); Coorg to Pune in a Gypsy - Travelogue-map.jpg
The Charoit
Pune to Coorg (My Eden); Coorg to Pune in a Gypsy - Travelogue-img_20110623_114713.jpg
So we leave on 24th of june at 7:00am, NH4 is no doubt one of the best highways, spotless 3 laned roads.
TSD:-
7:00 Pune
8:15 Satara
9:30 Kohalapur (Breakfast)
10:30 Nipani
13:15 Hubli (Lunch)
Pune to Coorg (My Eden); Coorg to Pune in a Gypsy - Travelogue-img_20110624_134447.jpg

14:30 Giriya Kariyat (Deviation to Gokarna)

This is the biggest mistake we did!!! This road is not advisable to drive, we still managed to hang in there there on the road since we had the gypsy.. We waded through the Anshi National Park and reach yellapur (NH 63). We take 2.30 hrs to cover a distance of 70 kms
16:30 Yellapur
17:15 Deviation from Hubli Karwar road, to Gokarna, passing through another forest.
Pune to Coorg (My Eden); Coorg to Pune in a Gypsy - Travelogue-img_20110624_161516.jpg

18:30 Gokarna (Sunset), even here the NH is in a very bad condition, its a two lane highway, passing all along the towns and villages...

21:00 Mangalore So we finally reach Mangalore for dinner. So finally after 14 hours of driving we were still behind by 4 hours to reach home. So we have a nice fish fry dinner..and leave to coorg by 22:00

23:00 Puttur
1:00 Sampaje Gate (Border for Coorg and managalore)
2:15 Madikeri.. On the way from Sampaje to madikeri we encountered thick fog, literally with 4 lights we were unable to see 5 meters ahead. Some how sticking our noses the windscreen we reached madikeri.

Finally at exactly 4 in the morning I reached my place.

My return journey map:-
Pune to Coorg (My Eden); Coorg to Pune in a Gypsy - Travelogue-return-map.jpg
This route was much simpler. Left at 4:30 in the morning with two of my brothers, we drove towards hunsur and then took the KR nagar SH, which really in a good shape.
Pune to Coorg (My Eden); Coorg to Pune in a Gypsy - Travelogue-img_20110710_063749.jpg
Pune to Coorg (My Eden); Coorg to Pune in a Gypsy - Travelogue-img_20110710_063810.jpg

Then we deviated towards the chamranagar and then took the badravati NH, vistited the Badra reserviour (Anyone planning to visit, please do not waste time, they do not allow visitors. we were dejected after going all the way there.)
We could just climb up the small hill and look at the dam, the reservior is huge equals half of Pune as a water tank..some pics
Pune to Coorg (My Eden); Coorg to Pune in a Gypsy - Travelogue-img_20110710_112337.jpg
Pune to Coorg (My Eden); Coorg to Pune in a Gypsy - Travelogue-img_20110710_100552.jpg

The other mistake we did was not following the NH till arsikere and take NH4, instead we continued towards darward on a SH, wherein a considerable medium stretch of the road was bad, lost a lot of time over there. So finally at 4 in the evening we reach the NH4 before dharwad and zoom in to pune by 2:00 in the night. We encountered rain in between, so that delayed your flight, else we were good on the drive.

Some last pics
Pune to Coorg (My Eden); Coorg to Pune in a Gypsy - Travelogue-img_20110710_201123.jpg
Pune to Coorg (My Eden); Coorg to Pune in a Gypsy - Travelogue-img_20110710_061504.jpg

Last edited by Twinn : 15th July 2011 at 14:37.
Twinn is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 15:06   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pune 2 Coorg (My Eden); Coorg 2 Pune in a Gypsy - Travelogue

Note from mod: Thread moved to Travelogues section - Thanks for using the Assembly line feature
Old 15th July 2011, 18:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Loved the 1st picture of the gypsy and the shot of your dad!Lovely indeed.Crisp writeup.Thanks for the route details
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 07:53   #4
BHPian

Sitting around and this trip just flashed my memory lane. I pulled up this thread and showed it to my better half, she went crazy reading this. Matter of fact I redid the same run once again in 2012 all alone when I packed up from Pune
Old 20th April 2016, 08:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Isn't it faster if you were to stay on NH4 all the way till Davangere and then cut down to Coorg? Or from Ranebennur - Shimoga?
Old 20th April 2016, 19:29   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Isn't it faster if you were to stay on NH4 all the way till Davangere and then cut down to Coorg? Or from Ranebennur - Shimoga?
Not sure of the Roads now, but the one that I took when I drove down once again was to stay on NH4 all the way till Hiriyur (just after Chitradurga) deviate at Hiriyur towards Huliyar continued till tiptur, then hit Hassan and then Coorg.

We took the Shimoga route once, as we wanted to see the Badravati reservoir, the roads were bad, did not save us any time there.

Last edited by Twinn : 20th April 2016 at 19:38.
Old 20th April 2016, 19:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Understood. Given how good NH4 is now, it makes sense to use it fully to the time it absolutely does not make sense to do so.
Old 20th April 2016, 22:41   #8
BHPian

Folks this is such a timely thread, I with family are planning a trip Pune - Coorg - Pune next mid month, want to do it without overnight break, which would be the best way and any tips on where to stay would help immensely

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Old 21st April 2016, 02:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Folks this is such a timely thread, I with family are planning a trip Pune - Coorg - Pune next mid month, want to do it without overnight break, which would be the best way and any tips on where to stay would help immensely

I'm assuming that you would just want to hit Coorg, not any other place on the way. I have plotted a map for you which I think is suitable for a day drive. Let me know if you have any questions on this route. It will definitely take you 17 hrs of drive.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Koda...18.5204303!3e0
Old 21st April 2016, 21:16   #10
BHPian

Thanks Twinn, but 17 hrs with family may be a challenge for their endurance capability, while I would like to give it a try and push as much as possible but if situation demands then where should I halt overnight

And also what are the places in between to visit

Also Coorg, I hear home stay is most recommended, would you like to recommend some good plantation home stay place in Coorg where we can also experience the famous Coorg cuisine

Old 22nd April 2016, 06:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pune to Coorg (My Eden); Coorg to Pune in a Gypsy - Travelogue

A friend who did the drive recommended Davengere for the overnight halt. A bonus are the famous dosas there. 17 hours is a long drive for most adults as well so something like this is a good idea.

Places to visit in between are in the Hassan area - Belur and Halebid. But I think they call for another overnight stay to make the most of what is there, though I don't know enough to make a hotel recommendation. I am also told that the Chikmagalur area is also worth a visit.

Last edited by Sawyer : 22nd April 2016 at 06:42.
Old 8th May 2016, 23:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post
I'm assuming that you would just want to hit Coorg, not any other place on the way. I have plotted a map for you which I think is suitable for a day drive. Let me know if you have any questions on this route. It will definitely take you 17 hrs of drive.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Koda...18.5204303!3e0
the final plan shaping up so far looks like this, with Mysore added

Start Date: 14/May

Day 1 | Pune - Mysore (this may possibly need a stop in between somewhere before Mysore, but will be decided on the fly)
Day 2 | Stay @ Mysore (Brindavan Garden & Palace)
Day 3 | Stay @ Madekeri/Coorg (after visiting Mysore Zoo in the day, proceed to Coorg in the evening)
Day 4 | Stay @ Madekeri/Coorg (no car day, with stay in plantation)
Day 5 | Stay @ Madekeri/Coorg (Madikeri local sight seeing - Raja Seat, Elephant Camp & Monastery)
Day 6 | Stay @ Ooty or Davangiri (whether to head back to Pune or plan for a day in Ooty needs to be decided a day before)
Day 7 | Return to Pune

some points as indicated above will be decided on the fly depending on the progress made and energy remaining of the travelers

for now, I need to identify some stopover options between Davangiri and Mysore preferably closer to Mysore while going to Mysore

Last edited by Anupam : 8th May 2016 at 23:06. Reason: added few points
Old 11th May 2016, 12:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
the final plan shaping up so far looks like this, with Mysore added

Start Date: 14/May
Modification in Plan

Day 1 | Pune - Badami
Day 2 | local tourism + Badami - Hampi
Day 3 | local tourism
Day 4 | Hampi - Mysore
Day 5 | local tourism + Mysore - Coorg
Day 6 | local tourism
Day 7 | local tourism
Day 8 | Coorg - Pune
Day 9 | Coorg - Pune

9 days is getting a little heavy, may need to trim it by a day or 2, need to figure it how
Old 22nd May 2016, 23:52   #14
BHPian

Tour complete as per above route in 8 days

Coorg stay was at Plantation Trail and a not so good home stay called myna's nest (not recommended)

Old 23rd May 2016, 13:28   #15
BHPian

Re: Pune to Coorg (My Eden); Coorg to Pune in a Gypsy - Travelogue

Wow a long road trip in a Gypsy King! I am sure you get asked this a lot, but just curious to know, What mileage did you get from the Gypsy on this trip? Also what speed do u maintain on highways? I am assuming yours is a Gypsy King MPFI?

Most Viewed