Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 15:30   #1
BHPian

Bangalore to Yercaud - a quick run.

Need a break – This was the condition for Mrs and Mr JoeMichael by end of June. So as usual it came up to lets go somewhere.

We had only two days, so finally settled on Yercaud. A place where there is not much to visit, but ideal to be lazy.

By 6th July , I was busy calling up hotels and resorts , starting with my favourite Lake Forest , followed by GRT Nature Trails and Grand Palace..But all were fully booked and finally got a deluxe villa at Shevaroy’s. Booked the same (Big Mistake) - Confirmed check in time as 11:00am 9th July and Check out as 12:00 noon 10th July. Re-confirmed the same on 8th evening.

9th July : Morning 7:00am we hit the road. Bangalore city was already awake and there was decent traffic till Attibele. We had planned to have a quick bite in McDonald’s , but like all Saturdays the place was crowded.
Thanks to the drive in counter picked up our McChickens and black teas , and consumed them in the car itself.

Hit the roads again , though the roads were tempting, being a BHPian , thought it was my moral responsibility to set an example , so kept the speed under 100 kmh.

By 10:30 we reached Salem City and further to five roads junction. For those who want more details. Five Roads junction is just about a km down the road once you exit NH-7 toward Salem City. From the signal take a left , further two kms through the city road , which makes Bangalore traffic appear disciplined to me , you reach the next Circle. This is the second signal post Five Roads Junction. Take a left there and it leads to Yercaud

Was impressed with Maverick “The Bull” Ritz’s performance on the hills. Mostly he was climbing on 3rd and 4th gears. Only at extreme hair-pins 2nd was called for.

By 11:45 we reached Shevaroy’s and there starts the trouble

Me: “Booking in the name of Mr.Michael”
Reception : “We have your check in at night 10 only”

Me: “What ? I clearly mentioned 11 am How did 10 pm come in?”

Receptionist : “ Its written here” – Shows a register, “If you want will give you luxury villa 4900 + tax”

Me : “No thanks”

Receptionist : “You have lunch , will check with the guest when he is checking out”

After Lunch, we checked with receptionist again

“45 minutes , room will be ready”

So we went for a little stroll, by the time we were back a new receptionist had taken charge. I enquired with him and he checked with someone on the phone and said :

“2 hours more, there is no confusion . Its your mistake.”

I was irritated , and started calling the other hotels, lucky for us Grand Palace had a valley view room available .

Grand Palace Guy : “ When do you want to check in ,Sir”

Me : “In another 5 minutes would be fine? “

Drove out of the hotel gates and in 2 minutes gets a call from a Manager at Shevaroy’s .

“Sir, we will allot another room till this one is free. Actually, the guest didn’t leave the key when he went out so we were not able to clean in advance”

Me : “No thanks,I will never step in your compund again”

My job involves plenty of travelling and have stayed in quite a few hotels of all class, but this was the most lethargic treatment I have ever received.

Checked in at Grand Palace finally at 2:00 pm.

The valley view rooms are excellent here, with a direct access to the lawn and superb view of rain, mist , sunset and sunrise. Only if the washroom was a little bigger……

After the ordeal at Shevaroy’s , I was still irate , not the best time to drive. So asked the hotel to arrange a cab. Rs.500 for a quick trip , which would cover most spots except Killiyur falls.

So after a quick trip to Pagota point , Rose Garden , The Gents , Ladies and Child Seats and a brief shopping at Bhavani Singh’s perfumery, we reached the lake for boating , a normal pedal boat round the lake and back to the hotel.

Enjoyed a romantic sunset , with a slight drizzle and occasional lightning, from the room balcony.

Drizzle turned to a deluge and it is still a bliss to feel the raindrops caress the face.Took us back to our initial days of romance in college , when we used to brave the rains on a two wheeler.

10th Morning : left to Killiyur falls, the pleasure of the trek has been spoiled to some extend by steps being built, but with quite a few old timers visiting the falls , that was probably a requirement.

The falls was pretty lean , spent some time there enjoying the view and back to hotel. By 12 it was time to head back, After a brief walk through the deer park and quick bite of bajjis , we hit the road.

We were home in another 270 minutes , after a late lunch of McChicken and Coke.

Total Kms - 473
Petrol - Approx 25 litres

Rating for Grand Palace
Ambience – 9/10
Food – 7/10
Price - 8/10
Location - 9/10
Service – 9/10
Cleanliness – 8/10

And here goes the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Yercaud - a quick run.-dscn0303.jpg  

Bangalore to Yercaud - a quick run.-dscn0309.jpg  

Bangalore to Yercaud - a quick run.-dscn0310.jpg  

Bangalore to Yercaud - a quick run.-dscn0329.jpg  

Bangalore to Yercaud - a quick run.-dscn0343.jpg  

Bangalore to Yercaud - a quick run.-dscn0349.jpg  

Bangalore to Yercaud - a quick run.-dscn0358.jpg  

Bangalore to Yercaud - a quick run.-dscn0398.jpg  

Bangalore to Yercaud - a quick run.-dscn0406.jpg  

Bangalore to Yercaud - a quick run.-dscn0353.jpg  

Bangalore to Yercaud - a quick run.-dscn0362.jpg  

Bangalore to Yercaud - a quick run.-dscn0403.jpg  

Bangalore to Yercaud - a quick run.-dscn0435.jpg  

Last edited by JoeMichael : 14th July 2011 at 15:32.
JoeMichael is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 16:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Yercaud - a quick run.

Nice quick get-away. What was the weather like in Yercaud at this time of the year?
Old 14th July 2011, 16:08   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Nice quick get-away. What was the weather like in Yercaud at this time of the year?
Hi, It was pretty pleasant mornings and evenings. Noon, i guess it was around 27 degrees.
Old 17th July 2011, 23:37   #4
BHPian

JoeMichael, I was there in the weekend of 4th July and stayed at GRT's. Wonderful place of stay, chosen basically because there is nothing much to see in Yercaud. Visited all the places you mentioned except for the falls, which was a bit difficult to trek and since we were not prepared for this, gave it a skip. Y

Yes, the intention was indeed to spend some lazy time together hence this place. :-)
Old 18th July 2011, 09:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
JoeMichael, I was there in the weekend of 4th July and stayed at GRT's. Wonderful place of stay, chosen basically because there is nothing much to see in Yercaud. Visited all the places you mentioned except for the falls, which was a bit difficult to trek and since we were not prepared for this, gave it a skip. Y

Yes, the intention was indeed to spend some lazy time together hence this place. :-)
Well GRT and Lake Forest are the best in Yercaud. The falls imho is the only worth while place to visit in Yercaud.
Old 18th July 2011, 10:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Regarding Yercaud - a nice place to spent quality time with your loved ones.

Sterling lives up to its lousy reputation. Front office guys have absolutely no idea how to handle guests. Rooms I felt were too damp, and needs more care to keep it better. Restaurant was expensive and lousy food. It is best avoided, I've learnt it the hard way though.

Lake Forest is a good property. But off late the food department is pathetic. When you just want to read a book and stay indoors, it doesn't make sense if the resort does not provide good food and you have to walk out for it. But there are restaurants nearby - which gives you a choice.
Old 18th July 2011, 10:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Regarding Yercaud - a nice place to spent quality time with your loved ones.

Sterling lives up to its lousy reputation. Front office guys have absolutely no idea how to handle guests. Rooms I felt were too damp, and needs more care to keep it better. Restaurant was expensive and lousy food. It is best avoided, I've learnt it the hard way though.

Lake Forest is a good property. But off late the food department is pathetic. When you just want to read a book and stay indoors, it doesn't make sense if the resort does not provide good food and you have to walk out for it. But there are restaurants nearby - which gives you a choice.
When the Master traveller comments , I am all ears.

Laluchaya , I have to confess , past 3 years odd , your travelogues here has been my route map for most of my trips . :-)
JoeMichael is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2011, 23:17   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichael View Post
By 11:45 we reached Shevaroy’s and there starts the trouble

Me: “Booking in the name of Mr.Michael”
Reception : “We have your check in at night 10 only”

Me: “What ? I clearly mentioned 11 am How did 10 pm come in?”

Receptionist : “ Its written here” – Shows a register, “If you want will give you luxury villa 4900 + tax”

Me : “No thanks”
I am going to Yercaud this weekend(Aug19-21). Even I have booked in Shevaroy’s. I think I will have to make sure that they have entered the correct check-in time because we have booked 4 rooms and don't want to face the same issue faced by you.

Its a nice place to just go and relax. I was there during the first week of July(2nd and 3rd) too.
Old 16th August 2011, 14:22   #9
BHPian

Hey JoeMichael,

Just went through your TL. It's very well written. I had been to Yercaud a couple of years back on a Team Outing and stayed at GRT Nature Trails (The Skyroca) which was pretty good. Thanks for sharing the pics, would love to see some more pics of the hotel and the rooms.

Most Viewed