Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2011, 18:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Trip to Agumbe

Figo, short nice TL. The pictures were awesome! The waterfall looked great. The snaps of the 2 monkeys has come out very well, looked as though they were posing for you.

Your "amrutanjan" trick is quite useful man, wish I knew this before going to chickmaglur.

Cheers

VW
Old 19th July 2011, 19:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Nice trip, figo_united! And equally brilliant pictures.

We put off our West Coastal run scheduled for July 24th due to incessant rains and floods.

Is it still raining heavily, how good are the roads? Have they started crumbling?
Old 19th July 2011, 22:15   #18
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this beautiful trip experience to Agumbe. This place captivates my imagination like no other.

I am really amazed that it has not been raining that much out there; this change in weather has been reported couple of years back - that Agumbe would lose its 2nd position to some lesser know village -hulikal!

Please do share the road condition.

Cheers!
Old 19th July 2011, 22:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Figo, short nice TL. The pictures were awesome! The waterfall looked great. The snaps of the 2 monkeys has come out very well, looked as though they were posing for you.

Your "amrutanjan" trick is quite useful man, wish I knew this before going to chickmaglur.

Cheers

VW
Thanks VW. The monkeys were actually posing for people there
To try out the amrutanjan formula during your next trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Nice trip, figo_united! And equally brilliant pictures.

Is it still raining heavily, how good are the roads? Have they started crumbling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader View Post
Thanks for sharing this beautiful trip experience to Agumbe. This place captivates my imagination like no other.

I am really amazed that it has not been raining that much out there; this change in weather has been reported couple of years back - that Agumbe would lose its 2nd position to some lesser know village -hulikal!

Please do share the road condition.

Cheers!
Thanks sachin and invader.
I can't give a proper update on the road condition since I didn't drive myself and we were chatting and watching movies most of the time!
Almost the whole route was single laned and was just decent.
I don't remember any really bad patches around thirthalli and agumbe too.
Old 20th July 2011, 13:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Thanks Ananth!
Couldn't accomodate "ananthana avanthara" and "tarle nan maga"
Have been postponed for the next trip!
@figo: Nice TL and pics. Hey, I have been looking for some links to get a dump of Ananthana Avanthara and Tarle Nan Maga but couldn't come across anywhere (not even torrents). Would be of great help if you can share incase if you happen to know of them

Cheers, KTP
Old 20th July 2011, 14:17   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
@figo: Nice TL and pics. Hey, I have been looking for some links to get a dump of Ananthana Avanthara and Tarle Nan Maga but couldn't come across anywhere (not even torrents). Would be of great help if you can share incase if you happen to know of them

Cheers, KTP
Hello Kiran,

My Friend has the official VCDs of these movies.
I'm sure it will be available in the bigger CD stores. Do check out.
Even otherwise I don't think we are allowed to share torrents here!

Its also available online on totalkannada for just around Rs.50.
check out this link, has a very huge collection of kannada movies!

Buy Online Kannada Movies,Kannada Music,Kannada Books, Kannada Greeting Cards,Kannada DVDs, Kannada VCDs,Kannada Audio CDs,Kannada MP3s,Kannada Films,Kannada Film Songs,Kannada Light Music,Kannada Karaoke,Kannada Folk Songs,Kannada Posters,Kannada T
figo_united is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 15:05   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Hello Kiran,

My Friend has the official VCDs of these movies.
I'm sure it will be available in the bigger CD stores. Do check out.
Even otherwise I don't think we are allowed to share torrents here!

Its also available online on totalkannada for just around Rs.50.
check out this link, has a very huge collection of kannada movies!

Buy Online Kannada Movies,Kannada Music,Kannada Books, Kannada Greeting Cards,Kannada DVDs, Kannada VCDs,Kannada Audio CDs,Kannada MP3s,Kannada Films,Kannada Film Songs,Kannada Light Music,Kannada Karaoke,Kannada Folk Songs,Kannada Posters,Kannada T
Thanks a lot for sharing this link guru. Oh man, I wonder why I haven't come across this one till now . May be it was destined to be shared by you
Cheers, KTP
Old 20th July 2011, 15:27   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for sharing this link guru. Oh man, I wonder why I haven't come across this one till now . May be it was destined to be shared by you
Cheers, KTP
My pleasure saar!
order maaDi, mast maja maaDi
Old 20th July 2011, 21:51   #24
Team-BHP Support

Amazing pictures. Enjoyed going through them. In fact it brought back memories of my own trip last november.

One thing I observed about the people here in the western ghats is that they are really selfless and wiling to go to great lengths to provide help to tourists. Kasturiakka is a great example of that. Meals at her place was almost like going to my own grandmother's house.

I did some off-roading in my accent to reach ARRS even though there was no road!! The path was very rough but I just kept going like an idiot. Lucky you were to spot the King Cobra at ARRS.

Jogi gundi falls and Barkana falls look amazing in your pictures. I must consider going in the monsoons to experience Agumbe at its best.

As for the Leeches - Amruthanjan sounds new to me I'll try this
My friends and I tried another thing- 100% foolproof method as long as you dont enter water. Previous day of trekking, I soaked a pair of old socks in concentrated salt water and then wore those socks (after they dried up of course) when entering the jungle. Not a single leech could manage the socks trap. We literally saw them climbing up our shoes and then the socks and then falling off once they came in contact with salt granules. But we did get a few bites on our hands since leeches were even prowling on leaves and bushes. We didnt get into water anywhere, otherwise the salt in the socks would have dissolved and left us bloodless

Last edited by KarthikK : 20th July 2011 at 21:54.
Old 20th July 2011, 23:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Cheers, KTP
Went to their store at Jayanagar today evening and picked up some audio CDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Amazing pictures. Enjoyed going through them. In fact it brought back memories of my own trip last november.
Thanks Karthik.

Quote:
One thing I observed about the people here in the western ghats is that they are really selfless and wiling to go to great lengths to provide help to tourists. Kasturiakka is a great example of that. Meals at her place was almost like going to my own grandmother's house.
Absolutely! Even the person who helped us with the route to the waterfalls was so willing to help out as soon as we inquired!

Quote:
As for the Leeches - Amruthanjan sounds new to me I'll try this
My friends and I tried another thing- 100% foolproof method as long as you dont enter water. Previous day of trekking, I soaked a pair of old socks in concentrated salt water and then wore those socks (after they dried up of course) when entering the jungle. Not a single leech could manage the socks trap. We literally saw them climbing up our shoes and then the socks and then falling off once they came in contact with salt granules. But we did get a few bites on our hands since leeches were even prowling on leaves and bushes. We didnt get into water anywhere, otherwise the salt in the socks would have dissolved and left us bloodless
Oh! haven't tried the soaking method.
Most of our leech experiences have been during rain and when we pass through streams/falls.
We could probably combine this with amrutanjan next time, and have double protection
figo_united is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 20:08   #26
BHPian

Figo,
It is not advisable to trek in the rain forest of Agumbe. According to Mr.Gururaja Sanil , a famous snake catcher in Udupi, ( really a dare devil ) Agumbe rainforest is infested with King Cobras and he has caught numerous king cobras in Hebri, Perdoor area and usually with the help of forest department he used to free them in Someshwara reserve forest of Agumbe.
Old 25th July 2011, 23:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.R.S.Rao View Post
Figo,
It is not advisable to trek in the rain forest of Agumbe. According to Mr.Gururaja Sanil , a famous snake catcher in Udupi, ( really a dare devil ) Agumbe rainforest is infested with King Cobras and he has caught numerous king cobras in Hebri, Perdoor area and usually with the help of forest department he used to free them in Someshwara reserve forest of Agumbe.
Rao Sir,
We heard this from the volunteer at ARRS too.
We don't have any plans of doing a full fledged trek in that area. Not really sure if it is allowed too (forest dept permission might be needed)
This was just a small walk to reach the waterfalls, but we were lucky to spot the King Cobra!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks