Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2011, 21:10   #1
BHPian

Malshej - An untouched heaven

“Does such a place exists”? was our first question as we sat to plan a drive over the Independance day weekend. After experiencing maddening traffic (both man & machine) we had already struck off the popular destinations a.k.a Lonavla, Matheran and Mahabaleshwar. This time we wanted to do a long get-away but the intimidating airfares and lack of time meant that Goa too was off our list. Thats when my pal suggested - Malshej. Did we like it? You will find out the answer by looking at the pictures.

We were mesmerized in Malshej! Literally - by the mind-blowing vistas of misty meadows. We were zapped beyond words at the beauty of the landscape which urban dwellers so crave for. This was in our own back yard – Malshej!!

Facts about the travelogue

Route

Mumbai - Thane - Kalyan - Murbad - Malshej

1) Mumbai - Thane - NH3
2) Turn right at Kalyan - Bhiwandi Phata (major cross road - landmark - Chokhi Dhani)
3) Kalyan - Murbad - Malshej - NH222

Total Distance Covered

290 km (including exercusion ahead of Malshej) @ 19kmpl

Toll Paid

Rs. 154

Road Condition

NH3 is in good shape. Can easily do 80-100kmph. The road from Chokhi Dani gets narrow but still good with odd craters. Road from Kalyan Bhiwandi Toll naka right till Century Rayon Factory (about 15km strech) is a nightmare. The craters there will put BMC to shame. Cannot go beyond 2nd gear on this stretch. Beyond Century Rayon right upto Malshej the roads are great with the odd crater.
Attached Thumbnails
Malshej - An untouched heaven-roads.jpg  

Malshej - An untouched heaven-greenery.jpg  

Malshej - An untouched heaven-destination.jpg  

Malshej - An untouched heaven-falls.jpg  

Malshej - An untouched heaven-lake.jpg  

Malshej - An untouched heaven-driving-back.jpg  

arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 10:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Malshej - An untouched heaven

@arup,

man, malshej is not untouched heaven, its heavily raped heaven by hooligans.[ sorry about my harsh words].
Not recommended for family outing to malshej on weekends during monsoon.
Last pic in your last post itself is an indicator.
I hope, you had taken that last pic on the road leading from highway to mtdc resort.

Have you visited pimpalgaon joge dam after malshej?

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 16th August 2011 at 10:11.
Old 16th August 2011, 10:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

I absolutely agree with you. Last week I accidently took NH - 222 route to Mumbai from Shirdi. Shirdi - Sangamner - Alephata - Madh - Malshej - Ulhasnagar - Vashi.

I was not aware that some heaven is waiting ahead for us. We simply mesmerized with the beauty and offerings of the place. We stopped some time for enjoying the beuty. Visibility was almost zero for 10 Kms appx on top.

It was god created heaven on earth. One word to describe Malshej Ghat - WOW.
Old 16th August 2011, 12:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@arup,

man, malshej is not untouched heaven, its heavily raped heaven by hooligans.[ sorry about my harsh words].
Not recommended for family outing to malshej on weekends during monsoon.
Last pic in your last post itself is an indicator.
I hope, you had taken that last pic on the road leading from highway to mtdc resort.

Have you visited pimpalgaon joge dam after malshej?
@ashish - I agree with the fact about hooligans but I never encountered any group messing around with others. Yes they went about their acts within their group or around a fall they were occupying but didnt venture outside their perimeter. Probably there were more than enough cops patrolling the roads both on foot and in patrol cars to keep the peace around. More so we reached Malshej by 10 in the morning and left post lunch, maybe be missed the hooligism lucky us

Nonetheless, I still think this place is heaven untouched.
Old 16th August 2011, 12:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Probably there were more than enough cops patrolling the roads both on foot and in patrol cars to keep the peace around.
Nonetheless, I still think this place is heaven untouched.
Good to know that cops are in action at Malshej.

Malshej is truly beautiful place during monsoon,
i think my group went to this place two years back, posted a travelogue here [ monsoon masti: malshej ghat and jivghan fort].

Waiting for next lot of pics.
Old 17th August 2011, 06:33   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
“Does such a place exists”? was our first question as we sat to plan a drive over the Independance day weekend. After experiencing maddening traffic (both man & machine) we had already struck off the popular destinations a.k.a Lonavla, Matheran and Mahabaleshwar. This time we wanted to do a long get-away but the intimidating airfares and lack of time meant that Goa too was off our list. Thats when my pal suggested - Malshej. Did we like it? You will find out the answer by looking at the pictures.

We were mesmerized in Malshej! Literally - by the mind-blowing vistas of misty meadows. We were zapped beyond words at the beauty of the landscape which urban dwellers so crave for. This was in our own back yard – Malshej!!

Arup - Nice images. The western ghats in monsoon is a treat to eyes. I would also recommend visiting the Konkan region during this season. You will love it.
Old 17th August 2011, 11:41   #7
BHPian

Arup, Nothing is untouched in Maharashtra. Weekend is full of tourists. I had been to Malshej in June, It is a nice place. MTDC resort is a superb place to stay, but you should have guts to absorb the wind power. Whole night, i was thinking, now the door and windows will break. But awesome stay there. Walking in the clouds at MTDC.

@Ashish: Maharashtra is a safest heaven for tourist. I personally driven across many places in Konkan and rest of maharshtra by road with my family and small kids, not encountered any problem so far.
Old 17th August 2011, 14:16   #8
BHPian

Hey Arup,

Even I was at Malshej on 15th Aug, drove back the same day though.
From your pics, looks like we were in the same locations.

It is really a wonderful place especially with this sort of weather.

I encountered HEAVY traffic on my way back to Pune. Add to that one trailer carrying Hyundai cars had toppled right at the bend.

Ohhh one advice : Do not argue with Ashish Bhau... He has been there done that

I did encounter hoooliganism enroute. No one was directly interfering or making a pass, but lets say, I did not feel comfortable with my family.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks