Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 07:05   #1
BHPian

Day trip to Mekedaatu and Muthathi

Last weekend we went on a day trip to Mekedatu and Muthathi from Bangalore in my i10. We were supposed to start at 6 in the morning, but due to human laziness we started at 9. From Koramangala took the NICE road till Kanakpura road, and later travelled all the way upto Sathanur (wanted to go to Mutathi first). Brilliant roads until Sathanur. After turning off at Sathanur, it got a bit worse, with a few potholes and patch work in the roads everywhere. Along the way got stopped time and again by kids supposedly asking for donations for some temple. Finally reached muthathi, and shelled out 50 bucks for parking, which was totally un-necessary.
Day trip to Mekedaatu and Muthathi-142654.jpg
Day trip to Mekedaatu and Muthathi-142655.jpg
I proclaim Muthathi as the world's dirtiest place. I think guys come every weekend, drink like big asses and litter the whole place with plastic cups, beer bottles, paper plates etc. I felt so disgusted thinking about the Rs 50 i'd payed to enter this place. The view though was pretty good. Cauvery in her full flow, and the hills lining the background.

At around 12:30 we started from there towards Mekedatu.There were a few steep climbs in the road which we had come. I am unsure if I was driving wrong or what, but I had a difficulty. The first gear was maxing out, and the second gear wasnt powerful enough to pull the car up. I felt that the gear ratio was incorrect, but I want a few expert opinions on this.

Anyway, back to the same patchy road, and the donation collectors on the way to Mekedatu. The last 6-7 kms had wonderful winding ghat roads, and excellent views of the valley. Great roads, not much of traffic, and a pleasure to drive.

Reached a place called Sangama, where supposedly three rivers, or tributaries meet. But i could see only two.
Again Rs. 50 for the entrance fee. From Sangama there was a coracle ride to cross the cauvery and reach the other side. There, there were buses to take you to mekedatu. Brilliant place, with the cauvery running thro the rocks, breaking through new barriers, and eroding them. We could see craters as big as the bus we came in, where the water had eroded the rocks completely.

Day trip to Mekedaatu and Muthathi-142656.jpg
Day trip to Mekedaatu and Muthathi-142657.jpg
Day trip to Mekedaatu and Muthathi-142658.jpg
Day trip to Mekedaatu and Muthathi-142659.jpg
And my stallion...
Day trip to Mekedaatu and Muthathi-142660.jpg

At 5, we started the return towards Bangalore. A 2 hr drive, and reached Bangalore...

Last edited by bharat4ever : 30th March 2016 at 09:42.
bharat4ever is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 14:42   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Day trip to Mekedaatu and Muthathi

Thread moved from Assembly Line to Travelogues section. Thanks for sharing!

This has to be a record for a thread incubating in Assembly Line - oh well, better late than never!

Where exactly is this place? I made a lot of weekend trips out of Bangalore when I lived there but this doesn't ring a bell.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks