Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:03   #1
BHPian

Bangalore-Calicut Via Waynad --A Picture Perfect Route

Since this route has been travelled, discussed & again travelled and again discussed mutiple times on this forum,i don't think there is anything much informative i can bring on board apart from few pics.

So with out much of delay here it goes.

Traveling from bangalore to calicut during the month of august brings in lots of pleasant sceneries enroute.& i am here by sharing few of them.
The below shot is from the famous “Thamarassery churam” almost every one who has travelled through this route would have shot this & i too could not resist it .

Bangalore-Calicut Via Waynad --A Picture Perfect Route-harishphotographymohanbangalorewaynadpics.jpg

The route after the village of gundulpet to the start of bandipur national park is filled with flower farms like these

Bangalore-Calicut Via Waynad --A Picture Perfect Route-bangalorephotographyharishmohanflowerspics.jpg

During the months of august and septmeber its so beautiful

Bangalore-Calicut Via Waynad --A Picture Perfect Route-bangalorephotographyharishmohanpicsflowers.jpg

that you can spend hours in these farms just staring at these flowers

Bangalore-Calicut Via Waynad --A Picture Perfect Route-harishflowersmohanphotographybangalorpics.jpg

This time we were allowed enetrance to a fenced flower farm by the farmers..

Bangalore-Calicut Via Waynad --A Picture Perfect Route-flowersphotographyharishmohanbangalorepics.jpg

Thanks to my broken kannada the localites were happy to hear it & they allowed us with a smile on there face..

Bangalore-Calicut Via Waynad --A Picture Perfect Route-harishmohanbangaloreflowersphotographypics.jpg

I was in my native for two days and on monday returned back solo to bangalore.
People who are from calicut & waynad and who have travelled through the “churam” would never miss this small temple on the enterance of the hill which, as legend goes has the soul of the tribal man who showed the british soliders the way through the hill to reach the foot hill.The man was later killed brutually by the bristishers for some reason.

Bangalore-Calicut Via Waynad --A Picture Perfect Route-waynadpicsharishmohanphotographybangalorepics.jpg

After staring at the clouds for some time & giving prayers in the above temple i started back to bangalore for a continous 7 hours drive.

However keeping the cam in the passenger seat proved lucky because i got these two guys walking down the forest while driving through Bandipur

Bangalore-Calicut Via Waynad --A Picture Perfect Route-waynadpisphotographymohanharishbangalorepics.jpg
shreehari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:42   #2
BHPian

Re: Bangalore-Calicut Via Waynad --A Picture Perfect Route

Hi Sreehari, Excellent photos! waiting for more
rajesh1868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:18   #3
BHPian

Thanks Rajesh for the comments.

Sadly thats all i have shot during the trip.I think i need to learn to update the travelouge in peices instead of doing it in one shot.
Old 24th August 2011, 08:16   #4
BHPian

Excellent pics Harish. Loved the Marigold shot.
Old 24th August 2011, 11:10   #5
BHPian

I am planning to do a Hyd - Bangy - kakkabe - Wayanad - Hyd trip myself and I would be leaving tomorrow. I am hoping to get a glimpse of the route by tomorrow.
Your words 'Traveling from bangalore to calicut during the month of august brings in lots of pleasant sceneries enroute' bring a smile to my face as I think I am going in the right time.
Old 24th August 2011, 11:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
I am planning to do a Hyd - Bangy - kakkabe - Wayanad - Hyd trip myself and I would be leaving tomorrow. I am hoping to get a glimpse of the route by tomorrow.
Your words 'Traveling from bangalore to calicut during the month of august brings in lots of pleasant sceneries enroute' bring a smile to my face as I think I am going in the right time.
I am not sure of the place called Kakkabe .
But i guess you will be travelling from bangalore to waynad through mysore-gundulpet and if thats the case then i bet you will not regret the route and also if you are doing it for the first time then you will be in for a treat.
Old 24th August 2011, 12:52   #7
BHPian

I will do the gundulpet route on the return journey. I had done that 6 years ago. I do not remember much of it now.
However, Kakkabe is a place near Virajpet. The highest peak in coorg district is located close by. My planned route from Bangalore.
Bangalore > Srirangapatanam > Mysore > Hunsur > Kushalnagar > Madikeri > Bettageri > Napoklu > Kakkabe

I am still looking for options to stay there. I found this one but I am still looking for other options.
HomeStay in Coorg, Palace Estate

My plan is to stay at this place for a day, and go to wayanad. On the return journey I will do the gundulpet route as you have mentioned. Hence I was waiting to see a glimpse of what awaits my return journey. Also information regarding places to see in and around Wayanad would be highly helpful for my trip. Waterfall destinations where we can go into the waterfall are most preferred

Last edited by himavanth_m : 24th August 2011 at 12:54.
Old 24th August 2011, 14:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My plan is to stay at this place for a day, and go to wayanad. On the return journey I will do the gundulpet route as you have mentioned. Hence I was waiting to see a glimpse of what awaits my return journey. Also information regarding places to see in and around Wayanad would be highly helpful for my trip. Waterfall destinations where we can go into the waterfall are most preferred
Himvanth,

You can take a look at this TL by me on Wayanad.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ad-malnad.html

Also for more details on Wayanad fololw this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...aces-stay.html

Also this

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...e-wayanad.html
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 15:18   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I will do the gundulpet route on the return journey. I had done that 6 years ago. I do not remember much of it now.
However, Kakkabe is a place near Virajpet. The highest peak in coorg district is located close by. My planned route from Bangalore.
Bangalore > Srirangapatanam > Mysore > Hunsur > Kushalnagar > Madikeri > Bettageri > Napoklu > Kakkabe

I am still looking for options to stay there. I found this one but I am still looking for other options.

Himavanth,

I had been to coorg couple of months back and we had stayed at a home stay which was quite close to the Raja's seat there.The conatct Detail of that place is given below

Home stay. Mr.Sujith(09448217105).

The palce is quite good & its a house with 2 big rooms & a hall with TV i guess.The location is also good and its just 5 min walk from the Rajas seat whcih is one of the view points in coorg.If you are more than 3 guys i guess this one is a good shot.

Old 24th August 2011, 15:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
You can also check Misty Woods We had stayed there and its worth the money. It is also a stones throw away from Nalaknad Palace in kakkabe.
kirantp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 12:01   #11
BHPian

Harish,
Lovely pictures you have posted here, making it a very picturesque Travelogue. I need your help, as I am planning to make a Calicut trip from Bangalore next week (the long weekend) with family.

This would be my first trip to Calicut, so wanted to know a few things before I go there:
1. What is currently the best route from Bangalore to Kozhikode? Is it - Bangalore – Mysore – Nanjungud – Gundlupet – Sulthan Bathery – Kalpetta – Vythiri – Kozhikode? Or some other route is better?
2. What would be the weather now? Would it be too rainy/humid/not so rainy?
3. Any places for sightseeing in and around Kozhikode?
4. What are all the good places to eat there? (Essentially Non-Veg).

I have also posted the above questions in "Route to Kerala" thread.

thanks,
Nandi
Old 25th August 2011, 12:07   #12
BHPian

Harish,
for these flower farms can you be more specific with location after Gundalpet ? Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 14:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnandi View Post
Harish,
Lovely pictures you have posted here, making it a very picturesque Travelogue. I need your help, as I am planning to make a Calicut trip from Bangalore next week (the long weekend) with family.

This would be my first trip to Calicut, so wanted to know a few things before I go there:
1. What is currently the best route from Bangalore to Kozhikode? Is it - Bangalore – Mysore – Nanjungud – Gundlupet – Sulthan Bathery – Kalpetta – Vythiri – Kozhikode? Or some other route is better?
2. What would be the weather now? Would it be too rainy/humid/not so rainy?
3. Any places for sightseeing in and around Kozhikode?
4. What are all the good places to eat there? (Essentially Non-Veg).

I have also posted the above questions in "Route to Kerala" thread.

thanks,
Nandi

Thanks Nandi for the comments.
And here are the information that you asked for.

1)Yes, Bangalore – Mysore – Nanjungud – Gundlupet – Sulthan Bathery – Kalpetta – Vythiri – Kozhikode is the best route to calicut from bangalore,Provided you are travelling during the day time.The Bandipur national park closes at around 9:00 in the night & opens back in 6:00 in the morning.So if you are not travelling during the above time bracket then this is the best route to calicut.

2) Regarding Weather,--Its mostly rainy in waynad & calicut .However its very un predicatble.

3) For people who are first timers to calicut i guess there are couple of things that can be of interset.eg:-

a) Calicut Beach:-almost 2 kms from the city.Its the ideal place for an evening.
b) Kappad:-The place were Vasco Da Gama the famous Portughese traveller alighted four centuries back.Its almost 16 kms from the city.
c) Peruvannamuzhi :- A dam location situated 60 kms from the city.Other place of interset are crocodile farm & bird sanctury
d) Kakayam: Another dam location almost 75 kms away from the city.
e) Then if you are of the temple kind, there are couple of temples in calicut which are quite famous.one of them is Thali located in calicut city itslef.

Thats all iam able to think of now. I will update the thread if i remember anything more.

One more thing important is that,If you are planning to go to any place like pervannamuzhi or kakyam you have to plan your day such that you will reach back calicut on the same day because there isn't any accomodations around these places.

4)Wrong person to ask man.
I am a pure vegetrian guy and i think i should be the last person you should be asking for this info.but any ways from the little that i know " Hotel Paragon" which is below the bridge which goes to the beach is quite famous for there non-veg delicacies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsixty1 View Post
Harish,
for these flower farms can you be more specific with location after Gundalpet ? Thanks
Hi Tsixty,

From Gundupet you have to take the road which goes to calicut,That is when you come from mysore after the gundulpet bus stand you will find an RTO office on the right & Immediately after that there will be a road to right & thats where you need to go.I guess after that RTO office 10-15 kms on that road you will start seeing the farms on either side of the road.I don't know the exact kms but its not very far.
Old 25th August 2011, 20:34   #14
BHPian

The photograph of the "farmer in the field" looks great. Also the snap of Merry gold, I guess your photograph makes it look more beautiful, than it is in real.

I was at Gundlupet in June and I wanted to take the route you had been, but I missed the right turn and ended up going towards Nilambur. Didn't matter much as I was headed to Cochin. But I sure missed these beautiful farms.
Old 1st January 2014, 13:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreehari View Post
Thanks Nandi for the comments.
And here are the information that you asked for.

1)Yes, Bangalore – Mysore – Nanjungud – Gundlupet – Sulthan Bathery – Kalpetta – Vythiri – Kozhikode is the best route to calicut from bangalore,Provided you are travelling during the day time.The Bandipur national park closes at around 9:00 in the night & opens back in 6:00 in the morning.So if you are not travelling during the above time bracket then this is the best route to calicut.

2) Regarding Weather,--Its mostly rainy in waynad & calicut .However its very un predicatble.

3) For people who are first timers to calicut i guess there are couple of things that can be of interset.eg:-

a) Calicut Beach:-almost 2 kms from the city.Its the ideal place for an evening.
b) Kappad:-The place were Vasco Da Gama the famous Portughese traveller alighted four centuries back.Its almost 16 kms from the city.
c) Peruvannamuzhi :- A dam location situated 60 kms from the city.Other place of interset are crocodile farm & bird sanctury
d) Kakayam: Another dam location almost 75 kms away from the city.
e) Then if you are of the temple kind, there are couple of temples in calicut which are quite famous.one of them is Thali located in calicut city itslef.

Thats all iam able to think of now. I will update the thread if i remember anything more.

One more thing important is that,If you are planning to go to any place like pervannamuzhi or kakyam you have to plan your day such that you will reach back calicut on the same day because there isn't any accomodations around these places.

4)Wrong person to ask man.
I am a pure vegetrian guy and i think i should be the last person you should be asking for this info.but any ways from the little that i know " Hotel Paragon" which is below the bridge which goes to the beach is quite famous for there non-veg delicacies.

Hi Tsixty,

From Gundupet you have to take the road which goes to calicut,That is when you come from mysore after the gundulpet bus stand you will find an RTO office on the right & Immediately after that there will be a road to right & thats where you need to go.I guess after that RTO office 10-15 kms on that road you will start seeing the farms on either side of the road.I don't know the exact kms but its not very far.

Srihari try the topform restaurant for authentic malabari biriyani...standard wait time during noon time is ~20mnts..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks