Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2011, 15:22   #31
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Re: REPORT : Mahindra Monastery Escape (July 31st to August 11th 2011)

Here are some great shots taken by fellow participant and photographer Bhagyashree.

REPORT : Mahindra Monastery Escape (July 31st to August 11th 2011)-bd1.jpg

REPORT : Mahindra Monastery Escape (July 31st to August 11th 2011)-bd2.jpg

REPORT : Mahindra Monastery Escape (July 31st to August 11th 2011)-bd3.jpg

REPORT : Mahindra Monastery Escape (July 31st to August 11th 2011)-bd4.jpg
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 17:43   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Paris apparently is one of the most charming cities to be in !! Make the most of it and have a ball
DKG Sir, I would choose Leh anyday above Paris. We had planned for many months for this ROAD trip but had to rush here for office meetings

Maybe next year will try again.
Old 1st September 2011, 06:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Good, short and succinct report. But as I said over the phone, you did miss out a few places and for that we need to do a trip together. The THAR and the Getaway do a leisurely trip together and see and enjoy the vista's.

As regards to the route planning, I think the organiserscould have done a better job when carrying such a large group of people. The route should have Delhi - Srinagar - Leh - Manali so that people acclimatise to the high altitude better. Giving a day off in Jispa and not in Sarchu is ridiculous especially given that AMS strikes at Sarchu due to the Tanglang - La climb. Furthermore Leh - Srinagar and Srinagar - Delhi as day drives are uncalled for. Mahindra Adventure folks need to go back to the drawing table and rework the route as a small incident can give the whole initiative a big bad name!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
DKG Sir, I would choose Leh anyday above Paris. We had planned for many months for this ROAD trip but had to rush here for office meetings

Maybe next year will try again.
Having been to both Paris and Ladakh, I can tell you that even though both are different, but are equally beautiful. Not only the Louvre but the street cafe's, budding musicians in the metro station, an evening boat ride down the Siene, capturing the vista's from top of La Tour Eiffel, walking down Champs Elysees are magnificent experiences in their own right.

Bottom Line: Enjoy Paris while it lasts. Ladakh is much closer home

Cheers

Last edited by MileCruncher : 1st September 2011 at 06:20.
Old 1st September 2011, 09:37   #34
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
you did miss out a few places and for that we need to do a trip together. The THAR and the Getaway do a leisurely trip together and see and enjoy the vista's.
That would be lovely MC. Next time around I would like to stop more to enjoy some of the mindblowing vistas, maybe enjoy a cup of tea and sit silently taking in the Himalayas. Infact when I think back at meeting that gentleman from Korea who was walking through the Himalayas, that really is the way to experience that country, by foot. I cannot imagine a experience more intimate than that ! But yes lets plan a slow leisurely trip in 2013 as in 2012 I want to either cover the north east or explore the western ghats. I want to explore the rainforests of India now

Quote:
I think the organisers could have done a better job when carrying such a large group of people.
Look at it another way. After two days of driving a day off at Jispa was actually a welcome break. And since we spent a night at Sarchu and Tso Moriri no one felt it to be tiring. Further going up via Manali has its own challenge and charm.

Quote:
as a small incident can give the whole initiative a big bad name!
you are right about that and the Srinagar Delhi in one day is that achilles heel. They need to break that journey to avoid accidents

Last edited by DKG : 1st September 2011 at 09:45.
Old 1st September 2011, 14:32   #35
Senior - BHPian

Deepak,

What a beautiful narration of your experience there, in words and pictures.

The landscapes, monasteries, meandering roads, mountains, lakes, reflections and horizons captured by you are magical surreality. It takes us through the journey through your eyes. Wonderful composition and photographs.

The camp site in Sarchau and elsewhere was just too good for words.

Didn't know the interiors of the house boats in Kashmir were this luxurious, paneled in walnut wood.

Great time you all had and a awesome event by Mahindra.
Thanks for taking us there.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 15:48   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Adventure : Monastery Escape July 31st to August 11th 2011

Quote:
All the participantys got to drive brand new Scorpio VLX Micro Hybrid 4x4's.
Got to inspect a couple of these today. One had 54xx km on the odo, a white mHawk VLX 4wd. The other was a black 2.6 CRDe 4wd, also a participant's car.

DKG, when in 2013 are you travelling Thar'd class to Ladakh again? MC is obviously holding a confirmed Get-a-way'd-listed ticket to go there! I hope I can plan to join in too.
Old 1st September 2011, 16:14   #37
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
when in 2013 are you travelling....I hope I can plan to join in too.
Are there times of the year when the skies are the best with light and clouds giving the landscape a dramatic and crisp lighting? I hear Sept/Oct is such a period? Also I believe as its autumn then some areas the vegetation turns brilliant colours giving the landscape a out of the world look.

I am open on suggestions and it would be fun if we could team up and do this trip.
Old 2nd September 2011, 08:14   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

@DKG : No thanks for breaking my heart again as I had to sit our this one. Lovely pictures and crisp narration. Thanks and rated five stars.

Next year?? Keep in the loop and plan it for late October for stunning vistas. Though Leh market gets deserted and most of the visitors disappear to Goa.
Old 3rd September 2011, 13:31   #39
BHPian

wow even these photos are incredible. It only emphasises more on the advertisment that we get to see on tv " Incredible india" such beauty along with such a established ride is a must for everyone once in their lifetime i would say. Thanks DKG sir for posting these pictures. It gives a feeling of calmness just looking at them.
subodh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:38   #40
BHPian

Sir,
Well I have been late in reading your TL . Amazing pictures and narration ,to drive in those areas is mesmerising and a lifetime experience
Thanks for sharing
Regards
Cat
Coooolcat21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 10:10   #41
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coooolcat21 View Post
to drive in those areas is mesmerising and a lifetime experience
How was your trip to Ladakh? Looking forward to seeing lovely pictures from your side
Old 24th September 2011, 10:30   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quite an impressive array of vehicles, but I see neither the "Adventure" or the use of 4WD in this trip. And I am also surprised that the team did not visit either Khardung la or Pangong Lake, the prime attractions in Ladakh.

How was the Rohtang Pass crossing?
Old 24th September 2011, 11:15   #43
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Quite an impressive array of vehicles, but I see neither the "Adventure" or the use of 4WD in this trip. And I am also surprised that the team did not visit either Khardung la or Pangong Lake, the prime attractions in Ladakh.

How was the Rohtang Pass crossing?
If we are to define adventure as a journey which is unusual, risky, unpredictable and exciting the trip surely qualifies as one.

Mahindra never claimed it to be an off road adventure so we can't hold it against them for not having much of 4wd terrain.

Given the size of the convoy and the number of people travelling anything riskier or harsher in terrain would have possibly derailed the trip

Initially I too thought that Khardungla and Pangong were a must but given we had stayed at Tso Moriri I actually enjoyed the two days in Leh spending time exploring monasteries, the Market, and White water raft down the Indus. I figured its okay we left something for yet another journey to Ladakh and I would prefer to spend the night both at Nubra and Pangong when I visit them next. A day trip seemed too hectic

Rohtang as usual had the "mother of all traffic jams" when we reached the pass but it cleared in an hour or so and given the constant entertainment of chit chatting with fellow participants no one really felt the pain. I had a bad stomach that morning so that was more painful than Rohtang !!

Last edited by DKG : 24th September 2011 at 11:26.
Old 26th September 2011, 09:19   #44
BHPian

Sir,
Driving all the way from bangalore to leh has been the greatest experience so far. Like everyone else on the forum we have comeback with loads of pictures. Will put them up soon.
regards
Old 29th November 2011, 06:19   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the participantys got to drive brand new Scorpio VLX Micro Hybrid 4x4's.
saw one such similarly decalled MH registered Scorpio 4WD micro hybrid in Bangalore. Would M&M have sold these cars after the expedition?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks