Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2011, 14:57   #1

Trip from Ernakulam to Kanyakumari, Dhanushkodi and return

Trip from Ernakulam to Kanyakumari, Dhanushkodi and return with my new acquired 1993 model Gypsy M410.(from the eyes of a novice automobile guy, but with lots of travelling even with a bicycle )

Last weekend since combined with festival Onam, become a long weekend and we did a coast line long distance driving using the four days.
Total distance covered approximate runs to 1200KMS.

On Thusday morning, we had this plan to have a company Onam Lunch at a place near Cherthala. So started early in the morning from home with family and reached Vivekananda Kendra Kodungaloor, with which am associated with for some social works.
Since I was visiting Vivekananda Kendra, Vivekananda Puram in Kanyakumari, went to Kodungaloor to take some books, that needed to get transported across. Had breakfast with them, and then started to move toward Chertala. We took that Vypin road after kodungaloor and a bumpy ride on a single road, we reached Vypin ferry dock.

Took the vehicle into the ferry and cross the river to reach Fort Kochi. From there we went to Mad Dog Trust, that is run a British lady, who takes care of street dogs and heal them and then home them as an adoption procedure. I recently took our candy(a female Indian dog) from her, so took candy to her for boarding (thinking Candy would be happy to stay there, without missing us much).
Unfortunate, the lady had issues of a viral infection on other dogs, and she said, she cannot afford to have candy infected as well.
Although, I knew, a couple of other places in Ernakulam town, where i can have my dog to have a pleasant stay, I didnt wanted to get into city traffic back again, as it would affect our schedule to have a company lunch in Cherthala.

So called up a team member in Cherthala itself, and her father found us a suitable person who can take care of our candy.
Having a problem solved, drove to Chethala, had candy handed over. Poor thing, was terrified seeing a bunch of dobermans and labradors well fed and looking really big. She is like a very timid, soft natured and non barking kind.

After a wonderful lunch with some 20 odd dishes , Took off to Kanyakumari via Nagerkoil. The earlier plan was to take the state highway, there by driving thru small towns, and reach Nagerkoil, but decided against seeing the kind of rush because of Onam festivities and we stayed with National Highway to Trivandram.

Till Trivandrum, and then to Nagerkoil, we were delayed in lots cause of the congestion and road blocks and reached Kanyakumari by around 10 PM.

The earlier plan was to go see Vivekananda Rock and then leave to Tiruchendur by roads close to seaside (Overy, Kodankulam etc..), but morning when we went to dock to catch a boat, we saw that there was a very long queue for the same reason.

So abandoned the idea and we took off to a near by temple and then took to road.

We took the East Coast Highway and travelled through a village called Overy, then Kodankulam and then a lot of small villages and even went inside a village and took a road that was next to beach..

The whole route till Rameshwaram was excellent, except for a few stretches of state highway roads that i broke away from ECR to stay close to sea, was bouncy and wavy, but still in good condition. Had to drop down speed below 60KMS/ Hr. But given the sea side, the slow driving was worth it.

Then we stayed in Rameshwaram for a couple of days and then took off to madurai and then pollachi via, Oddan sathiram road and then to Nemmara, Vadakenchery road back to Ernakulam.
(earlier plan was to drive through Valpaarai, but it was late when we started from pollachi, so couldnt get to do that)

In pollachi, visited the coconut groove of a friend tucked inside in a remote place away from main areas.
Since broad gauge conversion is happening by railways, the road is blocked and cause of that had to drive the vehicle through a stream and mud slippery small path raising above for some 8 KMS. A lot of skidding cause of the mud and streering control required on the track as it was cut deep in middle at places, such that need to keep the tyres on the narrow flat muddy surface without moving into the groove and give a nasty experience for people sitting at back. Vehicle did easy on that surface too

The only stretch of bad road experienced was in Kuderan Valley when we exit out of Vadakenchery toward Trichur.

Excellent trip and gave me a lot of confidence in this newly done vehicle and also the whole family enjoyed the entire trip without any strain,

Gypsy work done in total (and tested)
1. Engine redone
2. Dr Nano CFL suspension done
3. All lathe works and painting
4. extra lights
5. new windshield
6. New tyres
7. Wiper driver side is changed with motor and arm, left side waiting for a piece. No wiper there at present.
8. All electric work tested and fixed proper.

Want a moon rack done too

Results
1. Suspension is good and no strain for the people travelled
2. Mileage is 12KMS / Litre petrol.
3. Was able to speed upto 120 KMS / HR and given the heat and speed, engine heat was next to nothing
4. Last day driving was for some 500 odd kms, and i felt no strain and back to work fully recharged on monday

A very memorable trip and now its motivating me to take a drive to Kutch next year via Goa
Attached Thumbnails
Trip from Ernakulam to Kanyakumari, Dhanushkodi and return-20110908-07.46.42.jpg  

Trip from Ernakulam to Kanyakumari, Dhanushkodi and return-20110908-07.46.48.jpg  

Trip from Ernakulam to Kanyakumari, Dhanushkodi and return-20110908-07.47.11.jpg  

Trip from Ernakulam to Kanyakumari, Dhanushkodi and return-20110908-09.44.04.jpg  

Trip from Ernakulam to Kanyakumari, Dhanushkodi and return-20110908-09.44.37.jpg  

Trip from Ernakulam to Kanyakumari, Dhanushkodi and return-20110909-12.40.50.jpg  

Trip from Ernakulam to Kanyakumari, Dhanushkodi and return-20110909-11.51.11.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by GTO : 12th September 2011 at 20:16. Reason: No more than 2 smileys per post please. Read our rules!
srishere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 20:15   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Trip from Ernakulam to Kanyakumari, Dhanushkodi and return

Thread moved to the Travelogues forum. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks