Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2011, 21:44   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Actually that bolder has been there since more than a year.
When I did chandertaal last year, we had to cross it with foodguards of the safari scraping the boulder, and one tire right at the edge of the cliff.
Harsh later did it, and boulder was still there.
Its sort of a permanent feature now.
At few other places also road has gotten very narrow, such that big SUVs scrape the sides while negotiating it.
Yes, that was a dicey section. While I could have got through down, I was not happy about climbing back - it was a steep gradient and I would have the rock to my right side with difficulties in judging and manouevering - so In decided to turn back.
Old 21st October 2011, 22:53   #587
Team-BHP Support

Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

postpaid BSNL works in ladakh. Postpaid Airtel etc., works only in Leh city.
Now BSNL working is an oxymoron.
This means you can give missed rings. So if you know morse code, you can communicate using missed rings from villages.

That said, the most reliable form of communication is satellite phone, which is available in most remote villages at 1-2rs/minute.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 21st October 2011 at 22:54.
Old 21st October 2011, 22:57   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, that was a dicey section. While I could have got through down, I was not happy about climbing back - it was a steep gradient and I would have the rock to my right side with difficulties in judging and manouevering - so In decided to turn back.
@tsk1979 and hvkumar
You both seem to remember every nook and corner of these regions.
Even the boulders and rocks.
One guy in maruthi the other guy in matiz and both graduated to SUVs
in the most difficult terrains.Great stuff.
Old 21st October 2011, 23:28   #589
BHPian

Re: Humbleh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himacal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Matiz in its 2004 drive to Ladakh - 2,43,454 kms on the odo, and 6,900 kms during the trip

The Matiz is still with me, at 2,60,000 kms+ on its odo, despite it almost 13 years old

The Scorpio in its 2009 drive to Ladakh - 2,01,926 kms in the odo at the start of the drive, 7,301 kms during the trip

The Scorpio had completed 2,75,000 kms earlier this year

The Scorpio in its 2011 drive to Ladakh - 2,78,943 kms on the odo when it started for the trip, 8,788 kms during the drive

I realised yesterday that I have driven 4 times to Ladakh in cars that were over 2 lakh kms old!

Need I say any more?
HVK, what do you do to clock such high odo readings, that too not in one car but two cars? Or do you make it a point to do 3/4 long journeys each year?
Old 22nd October 2011, 06:53   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
HVK, what do you do to clock such high odo readings, that too not in one car but two cars? Or do you make it a point to do 3/4 long journeys each year?

Its not just the trips, if HVK needs to come to Delhi for 2-3 days he will drive to Delhi from Mumbai.
Most of his work related short trips are also in his car.

(HVK, Do you know the concept of Vayu-yaan? he he Just kidding !)

Last edited by akaush : 22nd October 2011 at 06:54.
akaush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2011, 07:56   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Over the last 26 years, I have owned vehicles continuously and I have had only 4 vehicles - the TVS Suzuki AX100 mobile (125,000 kms), Mahindra Commander (118,000 kms), Daewoo Matiz (260,000 kms) and now the Mahindra Scorpio (291,000 kms). I still have 3 of the 4 with me, but only one of them is in active use at any point in time.

As akaush explained, I capitalise on every opportunity to drive cross-country be it on business or leisure - and all my personal holidays in the last 16 years or so have always been on wheels. I stopped doing weekend trips long ago, and confine myself to 3-4 long trips a year, each of my trips may be 3,000 kms and more.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2011, 09:25   #592
Senior - BHPian

Day 09
20th August 2011
Kaaz
a - Jispa

We reached Batal by 10:45AM.

We still have a long way to Leh
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4334.jpg

We have come a long way

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4335.jpg

Distances to touristy places from Batal
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4345.jpg

We almost created a traffic bottleneck at Batal.
The first convoy of vehicles after the road opened. Calls for a celebration!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4343.jpg

Batal Doggy welcomed us! Ain't he looking like snowy of Tintin!
Name:  DSC_4336.jpg
Views: 2216
Size:  335.1 KB

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4338.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4340.jpg

We stopped for breakfast at Batal Chacha's place

NJ happy to get his hot Maggi
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4352.jpg

Everybody's happy to get to eat
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4351.jpg

Batal Uncle

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4353.jpg

Batal Aunty

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4355.jpg

Thanks to them you get to eat some hot food, get to rest a while in the beds they have in these treacherous and unrelenting terrain. God bless them. Bless them a lot.

continued...
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2011, 12:55   #593
Senior - BHPian

Day 09
20th August 2011
Kaaz
a - Jispa

After a good serving of hot Maggi and multiple tea I ventured out to look around Batal.

A torn flag swaying in the winds

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4357.jpg

Seems they grow their own peas

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4358.jpg

Views of the river
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4360.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4368edit.jpg

The Batal Bridge
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4364edit.jpg

HVK checking under the Scorpio for a disconnected speed sensor cable
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4386.jpg

We move ahead of Batal by 11:30AM. We also gave lift to two mechanics from Batal to Gramphoo. They were stuck there for almost a week.

We were behind a herd of sheep
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4388.jpg

Majestic
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4390.jpg

Cute
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4391.jpg

Slowly we drove past them towards Gramphoo
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4394.jpg

The drive till now has been good, and with that feeling we moved forward completely unaware of what lies ahead!

continued...
Old 22nd October 2011, 13:07   #594
Senior - BHPian

Day 09
20th August 2011
Kaaz
a - Jispa

We slowly moved along the banks of the river
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4403.jpg

Our Pilot Doggy - He would have almost ran two kilometers with us
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4417.jpg

A caravan
Name:  DSC_4424.jpg
Views: 1938
Size:  301.6 KB

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4426.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4427.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4430.jpg

The river bed
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4428.jpg

The roads ahead
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4433edit.jpg

We also stopped by to smell some flowers
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4409.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4410.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4414.jpg

continued...
Old 22nd October 2011, 13:16   #595
Senior - BHPian

Day 09
20th August 2011
Kaaz
a - Jispa

A little later we reached a water crossing
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4442edit.jpg

The two mechanics helping baby Alto

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4449.jpg

Discovery Bolero was comfortable with the obstacle
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4450.jpg

TS is relieved on crossing the stream
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4455.jpg

Another one - Baby Alto comfortably crossing it
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4462.jpg

Another obstacle - slush and boulders. HVK walks back while I stayed back to warn the team
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4464.jpg

HVK waits for the small cars

Name:  DSC_4466.jpg
Views: 1917
Size:  236.4 KB

HVK helping Baby Alto

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4469.jpg

A chat with AP
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4471.jpg

HVK signals all clear to me to come back to the Scorpio
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4472.jpg

continued...
Old 22nd October 2011, 13:27   #596
Senior - BHPian

Day 09
20th August 2011
Kaaz
a - Jispa

Slow and Steady we moved on
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4475edit.jpg

Bikers
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4478.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4479.jpg

The way forward did not look easy at all

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4480edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4493edit.jpg

HVK helping the team
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4502.jpg

Discovery Bolero was at home
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4503.jpg

We reached Chotta Dhara by 13:00hrs
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4505.jpg

We could see the PWD Rest house at a distance
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4506.jpg

Chotta Dhara PWD Rest House - The only solace in the otherwise treacherous place!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4507.jpg

Chotta Dhara - It really drains your patience, courage and test your skills!

continued...
Old 22nd October 2011, 13:40   #597
Senior - BHPian

Day 09
20th August 2011
Kaaz
a - Jispa

I almost cried at the looks of the way forward
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4509.jpg

It was nothing less that torture
Name:  DSC_4512.jpg
Views: 2826
Size:  215.2 KB

Baby Alto had an unfortunate under body hit here, and the Gear lever was stuck
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4514.jpg

no_enthu_da checking out where he had hit

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4516.jpg

The god sent mechanic working on the car
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4517.jpg

HVK and KSM-Vtec looks on

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4525.jpg

The mechanics were able to get the Baby Alto all right. We moved on slowly and carefully from then on.

Bulldozer clearing slush

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4529.jpg

You can see the road workers helping the Swifty behind

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4536.jpg

By 14:30hrs we reach the infamous water crossing. The water current was strong and it was at least 2+ feet deep, with huge boulders below

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4537.jpg

HVK signals that Discovery Bolero comes first than the small cars.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4538edit.jpg

continued...
Old 22nd October 2011, 13:48   #598
Senior - BHPian

Day 09
20th August 2011
Kaaz
a - Jispa

These picture series shows how the Discovery Bolero cleared this obstacle.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4553.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4558.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4559.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4562.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4563.jpg

Notice the depth
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4564.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4565.jpg

Name:  DSC_4567.jpg
Views: 1773
Size:  297.3 KB

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4568.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4570.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4573.jpg

I do not have any pictures from now of the rescue mission, since I had to be with the tow rope, crossing the stream and connecting to the other three vehicles.

All those have been detailed before with videos and other pictures.

After all the vehicles were towed out we moved forward by 15:30hrs, almost an hour of operations here.

continued...
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2011, 14:01   #599
Senior - BHPian

Day 09
20th August 2011
Kaaz
a - Jispa

Immediately we got our next obstacle
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4575.jpg

This time it was slush
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4582edit.jpg

The small cars carefully cleared it

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4579.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4580.jpg

Discovery Bolero at home

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4578.jpg

We reached Chathru by 16:00hrs. 120Km in 11hours, phew
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4613.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4596.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4595.jpg

The Chathru Bridge
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4601edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4604edit.jpg

Beautiful Mountains
Name:  DSC_4607Edit.jpg
Views: 1745
Size:  202.3 KB

A waterfall at Chathru
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4610edit.jpg

We slowly moved on towards Gramphoo

continued...
Old 22nd October 2011, 14:16   #600
Senior - BHPian

Day 09
20th August 2011
Kaaz
a - Jispa

Some beautiful views to soothe us down after all the treacherous terrains that we had been to.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4628edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4631edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4643.jpg

Name:  DSC_4648.jpg
Views: 1702
Size:  255.3 KB

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4652.jpg

Another water crossing
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4655.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4675.jpg

We stopped by to smell more flowers!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4678.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4704.jpg

Some more views

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4660edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4711edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4682edit.jpg

We reached Gramphoo by 17:30 hrs

HVK waiting for the team to arrive at Gramphoo
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4719.jpg

Altitude of Gramphoo
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4726.jpg

KeyLong is 45 Kilometers ahead, Jispa is still further
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_4729.jpg

Having reached Gramphoo by 17:30hrs our next destination was Tandi to fill fuel for our beauties. We moved on...

continued...
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks