Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2011, 12:50   #706
Senior - BHPian

Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Day 10
21st August 2011
Jispa - Leh

We moved on towards Rumtse
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6011.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6012.jpg

There are some shortcuts here too

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6015.jpg

A trucker coming down in one of them
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6016.jpg

Truly
Name:  DSC_6017.jpg
Views: 1767
Size:  251.9 KB

Some loops here too
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6018.jpg

Convoy in one of the loops

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6021.jpg

Seriously yes!

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6023.jpg

Colourful Mountains
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6030.jpg

Snow Peaks

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6031.jpg

continued..
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 12:58   #707
Senior - BHPian

Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Day 10
21st August 2011
Jispa - Leh

We reached Rumtse by 18:00hrs
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6051.jpg

Some views of the Chorten at Rumtse
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6042.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6044.jpg

True again
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6050.jpg

Some more Chortens
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6065.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6070.jpg

We saw some people at Rumtse
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6072.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6073.jpg

Leh is still 69Kms away, and its already 18:00hrs
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6074.jpg

Red mountains!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6076.jpg

continued...
Old 27th October 2011, 13:08   #708
Senior - BHPian

Day 10
21st August 2011
Jispa - Leh

After Rumtse I was completely awestruck by the riot of colors on the mountains.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6084.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6103.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6116edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6122.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6135.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6145edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6157edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6172edit.jpg

It was too much for me to take. I asked HVK again for a Photo break!

The convoy just before Miru

Name:  DSC_6178Edit.jpg
Views: 1616
Size:  263.4 KB

The Yokos painted by the terrain
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6181edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6187edit.jpg

Swifty looks on to the journey ahead
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6196edit.jpg

continued..
Old 27th October 2011, 13:10   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Day 10
21st August 2011
Jispa - Leh

Note these buses - I have seen many a discussion in the Leh travel routes discussion thread about Buses from Delhi, Manali to Leh. Some have even commented there are Volvo services from Manali/Delhi to Leh . Well guys these are those Volvo's!!
lalu Sir , A Bus service from Delhi to Leh do exist . it starts from Delhi ISBT at Around 3' O clock in afternoon with 2 night halts , along the route, all arranged by HRTC . Volvo;s are not run on this route ( due to ground clearance and all issues ) but they Do Run TATA AC buses along with the one in your Pic. IMO AC buses will just take away the whole fun of traveling on this route , SO the one in Pics works well as you can enjoy valleys; beauty without any hindrance
Old 27th October 2011, 13:13   #710
Senior - BHPian

Day 10
21st August 2011
Jispa - Leh

The riot of colours!! I love this place
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6087edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6089edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6092edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6103.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6107edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6110edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6113edit.jpg

Mera wala Single tree
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6148edit.jpg

We reached Miru by 18:30hrs
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6199.jpg

continued..
Old 27th October 2011, 13:26   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
lalu Sir , A Bus service from Delhi to Leh do exist . it starts from Delhi ISBT at Around 3' O clock in afternoon with 2 night halts , along the route, all arranged by HRTC . Volvo;s are not run on this route ( due to ground clearance and all issues ) but they Do Run TATA AC buses along with the one in your Pic. IMO AC buses will just take away the whole fun of traveling on this route , SO the one in Pics works well as you can enjoy valleys; beauty without any hindrance
While there is no denying the fact that there is indeed Bus services from Delhi/Manali to Leh, the post was a dig at the ill informed gentleman who pointed there are Volvo's in this route . I know for a fact there are none!

I hope that was clear!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Lalu,

Wonderful pictures!

Although this travelogue contains amazing photographs but this page (no. 47) has the BEST ONE so far.

Cheers!
Irish
Thanks Irish. Hope you liked them

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Lovely pics of the way from Jispa. Interesting names of the bridges, i guess it comes from the BRO guys have a drink after completing one bridge

So HVK drove up the loops fast before the others to take that shot of the convoy? Awesome!!
HVK Scorpio is a powerful car and will be ahead always of the convoy for me to click all these wonderful pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post

I will wait for you to finish posting pics until Leh and then I will start posting pics from my Camera taken by NJ & JP.
Cheers
JC
Jeep Captain, get ready. I'll be done in a few posts more.

no_enthu_da, thanks for being with me through out today reading my posts as it gets published. Gave the required motivation to complete the posts.

Last edited by laluks : 27th October 2011 at 13:27.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 13:30   #712
BHPian

Quote:
While there is no denying the fact that there is indeed Bus services from Delhi/Manali to Leh, the post was a dig at the ill informed gentleman who pointed there are Volvo's in this route . I know for a fact there are none!
I hope that was clear!!
Perfectly Put in Sir. Volvo;s On Leh route are still at least 20 years away .
Between Nice wonderful pics and vistas . this particular travelogue of your will inspire Many people to head towards base of Himalayas.
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 13:39   #713
Senior - BHPian

Day 10
21st August 2011
Jispa - Leh

After our fill of colors, we moved on to Leh from Miru
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6200.jpg

Beautiful roads
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6208.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6216.jpg

Welcome to Leh
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6225.jpg

First view of the Indus
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6229.jpg

The views from that point
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6233edit.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6238edit.jpg

We reached Upshi by 19:00hrs
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6249.jpg

Leh is another 49Kms away
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6243.jpg

continued...
Old 27th October 2011, 13:52   #714
Senior - BHPian

Day 10
21st August 2011
Jispa - Leh

Upshi is a like a Y fork from which you can change your directions to many destinations
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6250.jpg

The destinations and distances in the First direction
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6244.jpg

The destinations and distances in the Second direction
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6251.jpg

The destinations and distances in the Third direction
Name:  DSC_6252.jpg
Views: 1585
Size:  188.1 KB

Colourful and Clean Lorry

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6248.jpg

Prayer Wheel at Upshi
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6253.jpg

Baby Alto at Upshi
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6255.jpg

We find this board and immediately had our fill of food from there

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6256.jpg

But we did not try MEN Tea

We reached Leh by 20:30hrs.

Altitude of Leh
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_6257.jpg

At Leh circle Baby Alto's gear got stuck again. We moved ahead to Shanti Guest House and checked in. After wards we came back to the town and met Mr. Ataullah Khan for our permits. Had a nice dinner at one of the hotels and went back to the guest house.

Everybody happy to be in Leh! Phones started ringing. Everybody was back in touch. Facebook updates, emails what not!! I guess everybody would have slept late!!

Guys!! We are in Leh finally!!
laluks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 14:13   #715
Senior - BHPian

Well that's it from my side for today, my Diwali gift!

Happy Diwali everybody
Old 27th October 2011, 14:18   #716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Happy Diwali everybody
Happy Diwali Lalu

So finally HumBLeh abhi Leh pahuche awesome pics enroute from Tangang la to Upshi. So what happened to the Alto, was it towed to the hotel or to any service center?
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 14:18   #717
Senior - BHPian

Leh

So we reach Leh?

High Altitude sickness - Nah! That is for those who fly into Leh, they need a day's rest to adapt to the sudden ascent, not us, we have already been to higher places before reaching Leh, we are set to go!

Hotel bookings - Nah! Peak season in Ladakh is not like being in Ooty or Shimla during the holidays. The place is pleasantly populated by a large floating population, but every second building seems to be a guest house, run by friendly owners who are either "PWD" engineers or just families. We do not make advance bookings, we walk into the selected hotel (we have already done our research ahead) and haggle, so we get good rates which I find are often 50% or less compared with agent or advance booking rates

Auto town - what a relief for the cars, at least this is one town where you have service centres for Maruti, M&M, Tata & Toyota, a place for them to rejuvenate. Lots of workshops with migrant mechanics who can overhaul an engine in 1 day flat!

Permits - all journeys ahead are into restricted areas, and the DC's Office is the place to shop for permits

ATMs & Internet - we come back to the modern world, Leh has 3 ATMS - SBI, HDFC and PNB (and also J&K Bank and Axis?) and internet cafes

Mobile connectivity - for the first half hour after arrival, the entire team is seen huddling in various corners conversing with family, friends and updating their FB status!
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 14:19   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Happy Diwali Lalu

So finally HumBLeh abhi Leh pahuche awesome pics enroute from Tangang la to Upshi. So what happened to the Alto, was it towed to the hotel or to any service center?
No, it worked, it drove on its own steam to the hotel
Old 27th October 2011, 14:23   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
No, it worked, it drove on its own steam to the hotel
I guess Baby Alto wanted to be back in the Gramphoo Kaaza sector after seeing highways in Leh. Probably Baby Alto was marking its grief by the short malfunction
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 17:38   #720
Senior - BHPian

Happy Diwali to you too LaluKS, HVK, team IPHE & of course Team BHP.

Quote:

Happy Diwali everybody

Last edited by khoj : 27th October 2011 at 17:43. Reason: spelling correction
khoj is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks