Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2011, 11:04   #61
BHPian

Re: Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Tasaga la is in the Pangong-Man-Merak-Chushul-Tsaga la-Tasaga-Loma-Hanle route. You can reach Hanle directly from Leh via Upshi-Mahe-Nyoma-LOma without going to Tsaga la.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
As Chief said, you can do it from Upshi instead of Chusul, so no pass, no bad roads, no water crossing, fantastic views. And check with HVK on the roads, you can not get any better road than that in Delhi or Mumbai
I was regretting as it is, that I missed these places and now even more. I had the map, right in front of me with that route and I still missed it. I sure wasn't thinking straight. Effects of high passess.

Quote:
Here is a photo of the superb Hanle-Leh road between Loma & Nyoma.
Attachment 824257
Photo by my friend Nobin Jacob
Wow, that looks gorgeous.
Old 10th October 2011, 11:11   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
I was regretting as it is, that I missed these places and now even more. I had the map, right in front of me with that route and I still missed it. I sure wasn't thinking straight. Effects of high passess.
I remember when you were heading for Pangong, the situation was very uncertain and there was no reliable info on the state of Tsaga la and the regions beyond, I think what you did was best by turning back and going on to Manali. Had the weather deteriorated further, you could have been in bigger trouble in the remote areas of Chumathang Valley.

Ladakh is not a single trip affair, it is like an addiction, every time you go there you discover new places and I am sure you must be itching to go back - so Tsaga la and Hanle should definitely be in your plan next time! Pat yourself for going to remote places like Turtuk!

I only wish you had gone on to Padum in Zanskar Valley, but then there is always a next time!

BTW, we did the full circuit, but that story is still developing in our TL thread, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ehd-ii-25.html
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 12:15   #63
BHPian

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!

A special praise for my uncle

At 52, not many people would even think of doing something like this and even if they do, they want to do it in the most comfortable way. He loves trekking but has not done anything like this before.

Sleeping inside the car for 8 days, travelling without food, long stretch of drives without breaks and to have me as a company. Does not sound comfortable, in anyway.

Not only did my friends refused coming but some of them passed 'pessimistic' comments. This man was just the opposite. He was determied to complete this, showed immense courage and agreed to all my plans.

Our regular conversations and topics would be based on Politics. We enjoyed each other's company quite well and appreciated each other's efforts.

How can I go without thanking my beast

It is probably the worst terrain, any one can think of taking their loved possession and some may even avoid, worrying about the damage it may cause. He dint have a scratch nor a touch to the chassis nor a hic-up. He is the hero of this journey.

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!-dscn1441.jpg

Thank you again to Team-bhp and the wanderers who have shared invaluable information in their blogs.

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!-dscn1512.jpg

Here is a list of all the maps and logs I collected from 'Team-bhp'. All of them belong to the respective owners and I have not edited any of them. Please use them as a reference only.

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!-leh.jpg

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!-bigmap.gif

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!-leh-map.jpg

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!-spiti-valley.jpg

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!-spiti-2.jpg

Accommodation.docx

Emergency Contact numbers.docx

Fuel Prices.docx

How to bypass Bombay via New Bombay.docx

Ladakh Sep 2009.xls

ledakhramkyupdate7-july2010.pdf

Logs -Abad-Srinagar-Leh-Manali-A'bad- jun2010.xls

Thank you everyone for reading this travelogue, sharing your thoughts and for appreciating it.

Regards
Avinash
aviorp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 12:38   #64
BHPian

Quote:
I remember when you were heading for Pangong, the situation was very uncertain and there was no reliable info on the state of Tsaga la and the regions beyond, I think what you did was best by turning back and going on to Manali. Had the weather deteriorated further, you could have been in bigger trouble in the remote areas of Chumathang Valley
True sir. I could not find anyone who could give me information about Chang la and Tsaga la, when we were heading to Pangong.

Can't thank you enough for all your advise and timely help. You were the motivating factor and the backbone of this journey for me. Everything from the route I planned and the logs that I carried, was from your 2009 expedition. It could not have been any better.

Quote:
Ladakh is not a single trip affair, it is like an addiction, every time you go there you discover new places and I am sure you must be itching to go back - so Tsaga la and Hanle should definitely be in your plan next time! Pat yourself for going to remote places like Turtuk!
Thank you sir. I'm definitely keen to make it to those places that I missed. I'm hoping, I'll get a chance again, next year.

Quote:
I only wish you had gone on to Padum in Zanskar Valley, but then there is always a next time!
If I had only known, the roads would be a lot worse, after Zanskar, I would have definitely gone all the way to Padum. I'll sketch a plan something like the one you did this year.

Quote:
BTW, we did the full circuit, but that story is still developing in our TL thread, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ehd-ii-25.html
I have been following your thread for a long time and I'm awe-struck. Its incredible, how you manage to do these terrains with a convoy. The kind of energy and endurance you carry is mind-blowing. I'm sure, I'll learn a lot of new things from your 2nd expedition. Thank you again sirji.
aviorp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 14:09   #65
BHPian

aviorp, Thanks for all the pics, maps and logs.
And at your age, the expedition you had planned initially is really appreciable. I mean when you had planned for doing it all alone before your uncle's intervention.

Its time to update the pics in your garage
Old 11th October 2011, 09:46   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
aviorp, Thanks for all the pics, maps and logs.
And at your age, the expedition you had planned initially is really appreciable. I mean when you had planned for doing it all alone before your uncle's intervention.
Thank you very much BulZire.

Quote:
Its time to update the pics in your garage
Our apartment guys are fighting with each other to get a parking space, so garage is a long way away. Anyway, apart from my Scorp, my other loved possession is my P200.
Old 24th November 2011, 13:03   #67
Senior - BHPian

Came to this thread from your photo posted in the picture thread.

Wonderful - this goes for all, the trip, the drive, the vehicle and the photos! Make me give even more serious thought to do a similar drive!

5* rated!
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 16:05   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Came to this thread from your photo posted in the picture thread.

Wonderful - this goes for all, the trip, the drive, the vehicle and the photos! Make me give even more serious thought to do a similar drive!

5* rated!
Thank you HappyWheels.
Old 24th November 2011, 16:38   #69
BANNED

Can Leh be done in a Swift with a 1.3 DDiS engine??
If yes, what should be budget one should keep in mind..?
Any places or time of the year when a small car should avoid to go?

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th November 2011, 18:16   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_power View Post

Thanks in advance.
Even Baby Alto has made it to Leh. Read the other travelogue HumbLEHed by HVKumar & others.
Old 24th November 2011, 18:18   #71
BHPian

Avinash, nice travelogue, congrats on finishing the trip!! Liked you narration and pictures. Thanks for sharing all the information that you could.
Old 24th November 2011, 18:53   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Like Harimakesh says, any car can make it.
I have driven my Matiz twice to Ladakh - when roads were terrible, much worse than they are today - and this year, we had an Alto and upto 3 Swifts in some of the worst sectors. Read all about it here, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...l-pradesh.html

However, as you yourself feel, it is best to avoid May-June-July and ideally travel in Aug-SEp for better roads.
Old 24th November 2011, 19:10   #73
BANNED

How much can be the expenditure (excluding the fuel amount) for the trip. And as mentioned in most of the travelogues, 20 to 25 days is quite enough, I am planning for the same. If anyone willing to join me can do so.

I am planning to explore the beauty next year (if my company let's me be in India ). Looking forward for help from the maestros at Team - Bhp.
Old 24th November 2011, 19:17   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much can be the expenditure (excluding the fuel amount) for the trip. And as mentioned in most of the travelogues, 20 to 25 days is quite enough, I am planning for the same. If anyone willing to join me can do so.

I am planning to explore the beauty next year (if my company let's me be in India ). Looking forward for help from the maestros at Team - Bhp.
For a trip to Ladakh you can assume a cost of Rs 1000 per day per head for F&B. Most hotel rooms are available at Rs 700-2000, with some exceptions being in places like Tso Moriri and Pangong where rates can be astronomical. Avoid booking through travel agents, their rates are extortionist - the same rooms can be had on the spot (or through hard bargaining - the larger the group, the better), often at 50% of rates quoted initially.
Old 24th November 2011, 19:56   #75
BHPian

Im sorry if i sound off topic sir but i had a 3hr sleep after reading your TL and i dreamt about my own fantasy trip to Ladaakh in my own fantasy scorpio

Wow you definitely have something in your Tlogs sir. It has the power to make us dream. The pictures are so vivid and the story. I could feel I was there with you throughout the entire trip. Wow thats an amazing TL with an amazing story.

And your uncle was a great companion throughout the trip. Its difficult to find a companion and a fellow traveller these days who will keep you level headed throughout the journey rather than hinder you at every step. Its just amazing what sheer will, courage and determination can help you achieve.

Thanks for the awe inspiring Travelogue sir.
Someday sometime I'll also be allowed to drive to Ladaaaakh. At present I can only dream.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed