Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2011, 16:43   #76
BHPian

Re: Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_power View Post
Can Leh be done in a Swift with a 1.3 DDiS engine??
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Like Harimakesh says, any car can make it
Yes, it can be done. Make sure to get those skid plates, (for engine/ oil sump protection).

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Even Baby Alto has made it to Leh. Read the other travelogue HumbLEHed by HVKumar & others.
Sirji, the Alto and Swifts that went to Leh with the IPHE group, had SUV's, as a support. Crossing river streams (near Lahaul/spiti), getting stuck in the sand (Mooreh plains), any breakdown (like Alto having its gear box fixed), you need to have a backup.

Do you believe it could have been possible 'without' any (Scorpio's and Bolero's) support?

Also, what would be kind of expenditure we are looking at to get the car fixed, after the trip?

Quote:
I have driven my Matiz twice to Ladakh - when roads were terrible, much worse than they are today
That takes a hell lot of courage and you need to be something extra-ordinary. Well, you're one among them for sure.

Honestly, I did not see any Sedan's/hatchback's, anywhere around Leh.

Quote:
If yes, what should be budget one should keep in mind..?
Quote:
How much can be the expenditure (excluding the fuel amount) for the trip
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
For a trip to Ladakh you can assume a cost of Rs 1000 per day per head for F&B. Most hotel rooms are available at Rs 700-2000, with some exceptions being in places like Tso Moriri and Pangong where rates can be astronomical. Avoid booking through travel agents, their rates are extortionist - the same rooms can be had on the spot (or through hard bargaining - the larger the group, the better), often at 50% of rates quoted initially.
Approx. - Diesel should cost around 20K
Food and Stay - Around 8K

It should be approx. 30K to 35K (Excluding shopping)

Some of places we stayed (H'garh/Udhampur/Kargil), we paid Rs.500 for the night.

Quote:
Any places or time of the year when a small car should avoid to go?
Best time would be Aug/Sept. Less tourists, costs less for stay. I dint do the spiti, so please go through the IPHE thread and decide if you wish to do it (if you're going alone).

Kumar sir will be the best person to answer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBoyKK View Post
Avinash, nice travelogue, congrats on finishing the trip!! Liked you narration and pictures. Thanks for sharing all the information that you could.
Thanks BusyBoyKK. My pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Im sorry if i sound off topic sir but i had a 3hr sleep after reading your TL and i dreamt about my own fantasy trip to Ladaakh in my own fantasy scorpio

Wow you definitely have something in your Tlogs sir. It has the power to make us dream. The pictures are so vivid and the story. I could feel I was there with you throughout the entire trip. Wow thats an amazing TL with an amazing story.

And your uncle was a great companion throughout the trip. Its difficult to find a companion and a fellow traveller these days who will keep you level headed throughout the journey rather than hinder you at every step. Its just amazing what sheer will, courage and determination can help you achieve.

Thanks for the awe inspiring Travelogue sir.
Someday sometime I'll also be allowed to drive to Ladaaaakh. At present I can only dream.
Thank you Parthasarathig. I'm glad you took your time off to read it and enjoyed it. Hope you realize your dream soon.
aviorp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 16:51   #77
Senior - BHPian

Well, a small car can do it alone too, although support and being part of a large group will help. I have done my small car trips both times alone without any support whatsoever. We managed to extricate ourselves out of every sticky situation on our own. So, those who dare don't despair!

I continue to hold that Aug-Sep is the best time to do the Ladakh drive (including Spiti), but adverse weather conditions can happen any time.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 10:46   #78
Senior - BHPian

Aviorp - Thanks for sharing this lovely travelogue. It certainly gives me the inspiration to do this. I have been reading several TL's to Leh. I read yours in one go now. I hope to make it there next year. I am sure i wont face too much issues with my Safari. The only issue that i need to take care of is the 3 weeks leave. I am sure i'll find a way to manage it.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 07:09   #79
BHPian

Hii ,
Amazing effort in the first attempt .I have gone through both your TLs on Leh. Great Stuff , i was interested in the maps that you have uploaded, can i have the source of them for i wanted them.
Secondly you did the trip in mid sept , i was wondering how come there was so much snow all around.
Do you feel that if you had snow chains , you would have been able to cross Wari La at the point where you were stopped, but i guess after the GREF guys cleared you did go ahead??
In the next year when you attempted Zanskar , that was in Sept again ?? Normally there is not so much rains at that period and was wondering at the amount of water flow in Zanskar .Any thoughts on that.
I propose to do Zanskar and also Wari La in third-fourth week of Sept this year in Logan , hence the queries

Regards
Sumit
swsumit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 20:37   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsumit View Post
Hii ,
Amazing effort in the first attempt .I have gone through both your TLs on Leh. Great Stuff , i was interested in the maps that you have uploaded, can i have the source of them for i wanted them.
Thank you so much. I'm glad you liked both of them.

The source is from our very own t-bhp. I used to dig up every possible t'log on Leh and found these. Trust me, this is all you need.

Quote:
Secondly you did the trip in mid sept , i was wondering how come there was so much snow all around.
We were just fortunate. Snowfall was around just for 2 days and we were lucky to have been on those days. If you notice in the second t'log, K-Top was so barren.

Quote:
Do you feel that if you had snow chains , you would have been able to cross Wari La at the point where you were stopped, but i guess after the GREF guys cleared you did go ahead??
You bet, if I only knew something like snow chains existed, I would have surely crossed it without breaking a sweat.

Btw, bought me back fond memories. Thank you.

Quote:
In the next year when you attempted Zanskar , that was in Sept again ?? Normally there is not so much rains at that period and was wondering at the amount of water flow in Zanskar .Any thoughts on that.
Yes, that was Sep again. The water you see there is no due to rain and its due to the glaciers melting. I'm afraid, there is nothing one can do, besides checking the depth and hope you will cross.

Quote:
I propose to do Zanskar and also Wari La in third-fourth week of Sept this year in Logan , hence the queries
Zanskar by far is the toughest, in terms of terrain but also the most beautiful valley. Its a real test for the man & the machine. Dont skip it. Good luck
aviorp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks