Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2011, 12:09   #1
BHPian

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!-dscn1105.jpg

This is one place, you would love to have an auto-enthusiast as a company. If not, a friend, wife or atleast someone who knows driving. What happens when you go with a person, who is twice your age, a non-auto enthusiast and is going to travel a long distance for the first time in a car? Read on..

My Sincere Thanks To

1. Team-bhp

2. Team-bhp Members, who have shared invaluable information in their respective travelogues

a. HVKumar
b. adc
c. harsh.vardhan
d. ramkya1
e. tsk1979
f. laluks
g. ss-traveller

and many more travelogues on t-bhp that helped in preparing for this expedition.

3. HV Kumar Sir. I pestered him through out my trip and not once, he failed to answer my call. I owe you a lot sir and cannot stop thanking you.

4. My parents, for letting me to do this and specially my wife, Shilpa. She helped me a lot during the planning stages. She was the only one who had initially agreed to come along and later had to back out due to personal reasons.

Destination.

Ladakh, is a dream destination for someone, who is passionate for driving/riding. It takes months to prepare yourself, your ride and find someone, who is like-minded. However, not everything goes according to the plan and this, even before I started the journey.

First talks and plans for Ladakh

After our new year trip to Goa this year, asked my wife, if she was interested, to go to Leh. She was excited but she dint know, I was talking about, going by car.

The reason for getting this idea was, I drove continuously for 17 hours (that's without sleep and not a break). I knew I could have driven a lot longer, if we had not reached Bangalore. It was a desire to drive more and I wanted to know, how much I can drive, without sleeping. So, did I find my answer? Oh Yeah!

Planning Stage

After finding out some information, I had decided, this year, it will be Leh. In April, revealed my plans to her and she seemed to have liked the idea but did not sound confident enough, worrying about our safety.

In an effort to convince her and to get more information, started reading travelogues on t-bhp and to my surprise, there were a lot of them and one of them, done by a couple in a Hyundai Getz, from Bangalore.

Over a period of two months, my complete itinerary was ready and made my wife read some of the t'logs, which increased her confidence. I had asked few of my friends by now, but nobody showed any interest. So, I knew it was only we two.

Since, I had not taken any leaves, made her not to take any leaves as well. However, in June, she had to switch jobs and almost made me cancel the trip.

Decision making and Final outcome.

In July, I asked her, if I could do this alone. The only assurance she wanted was my safety and she dint seem to have a problem.

During the course of preparation, there were some personal problems at home and took me a while to settle things. Finally, by August, I decided upon the dates and my leaves were approved for 15 days + 6 weekly off's. So, in all, I had 21 days and if required another 3 more days.

How a non-auto enthusiast joined me for this trip.

As I started preparing for the trip, there were a few things I could not find and one of them was a Jerry can. I asked quite a few people and none of them knew about it. I asked my neighbour, who I know for more than 3 years and very close to him, if he knew, where I can find one. Little did I know, my quest to find a Jerry can, would lead him, to join me in this expedition.

After listening to my plans and when I told him, I'm going alone, he showed immense interest in travelling with me. I found it hard to say no, however, fearing his health and family, had to say no for the first time.

His repeated request and his attempt to convince me that he was physically fit, showed me his trekking pictures and said he has some experience in travelling. Also, since he works in Central Government, leaves were not an issue. He dint give me a choice than to agree.

However, I gave a list of instructions, that I made him to agree. I know some of them were shrewd but this was the only way I can have the control and not let him instruct me, as he is almost my father's age.

1. Since I was driving completely, I dint want him to keep passing comments (read back driving). Well, he did the opposite.
2. No frequent stops for tea
3. Stay back and sleep in the car, when required.
4. Agree to what I plan and do it the way, I want it to be done.
5. If he falls ill, take a flight back to Bangalore.
6. Finally, not to let our relationship affect, if I happen to tell him to do something.

So, did all of these really happen? Well, what's an expedition, if everything goes according to the plan.

Last edited by aviorp : 26th September 2011 at 18:07.
aviorp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2011, 12:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!

Seems like another Leh/Kashmir trip on a Scorpio, the teaser pic is awesome and has raised my curiosity level. Waiting for the rest of the story to unfold and more pictures please.
Old 26th September 2011, 12:12   #3
BHPian

Is this Ladakh? All glued to this thread, bring it on.
Old 26th September 2011, 12:43   #4
BHPian

The title is awesome. Bring on the rest.
Old 26th September 2011, 12:46   #5
BHPian

Awesome title and teaser picture.How i wish i had a scorpio or Fortuner to make these Leh/Ladakh trips in the way it was meant to be made.Anyways i am assuming this is one of those Leh/Ladakh trips.Ofcourse it might be abroad too but i am pretty sure the bad roads title wouldnt have been there if that was the case ;-).
Old 26th September 2011, 14:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Great start aviorp. Looks like you have an interesting story to tell. Bring it on!!! Looks like we can use your travelogue as a guide for our future trip (hopefully)

Me and a friend had planned to do a Bangalore-Leh drive this month. We had also done some initial planning, but could not do the trip because of some reasons.
Old 26th September 2011, 15:49   #7
BHPian

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!-dscn1434.jpg

Preparing my Scorp.

During the course of preparing for the trip, the most important thing I had to do was, get my Scorp perform to its best. I'm very particular about maintaining my beast, so had to give him the best I could find. Following are the list of things added/replaced.

1. Anti-rust coating for the chassis from 3M - Rs. 3500/-
2. Paint protection from Ultimate Detailerz - Rs. 4000/-
3. New set of Bridgestone Duelers - Rs. 7100/- (per tyre).
4. Replaced Battery - Exide : Rs. 4350/-
5. Serviced two weeks before the trip :
a. Engine Oil, Air Filter and Fuel filter replaced
b. Front Brake pads checked and cleaned
c. Replaced rear Brake liners
d. Replaced Link Rod Bushes
e. Checked Fan belts
f. Replaced head lights
g. Carried 1 ltr Extra Engine oil, Coolant and Air Filter.
Total cost : 12K

Apart from this, following are the things carried.

1. Power inverter - Rs. 850/-
2. Cell Phone Charger - Rs. 150/-
3. Tow rope - Rs. 650/-
4. Foot Pump - Rs. 250/-
5. Puncture kit - Rs. 300/-
6. Additional head lights - Rs. 200/-
7. Jerry Cans - 2*35ltrs - Rs. 150/- each
8. Spanner, Screw drivers, Allen key (had it at home)

Last edited by aviorp : 26th September 2011 at 16:20.
aviorp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2011, 16:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Seems like another Leh/Kashmir trip on a Scorpio, the teaser pic is awesome and has raised my curiosity level. Waiting for the rest of the story to unfold and more pictures please.
Thanks mayankjha1806. There is a lot to tell. Will try to cover as much as I can today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
Is this Ladakh? All glued to this thread, bring it on.
Yup, its Ladakh. Doing some editting, will cover as much as I can now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buvan View Post
The title is awesome. Bring on the rest.
Thanks buvan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @400Kph View Post
Awesome title and teaser picture.How i wish i had a scorpio or Fortuner to make these Leh/Ladakh trips in the way it was meant to be made.Anyways i am assuming this is one of those Leh/Ladakh trips.Ofcourse it might be abroad too but i am pretty sure the bad roads title wouldnt have been there if that was the case ;-).
Thanks @400Kph. It is indeed Ladakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Great start aviorp. Looks like you have an interesting story to tell. Bring it on!!! Looks like we can use your travelogue as a guide for our future trip (hopefully)

Me and a friend had planned to do a Bangalore-Leh drive this month. We had also done some initial planning, but could not do the trip because of some reasons.
Thanks addyhemmige. I'll cover absolutely everything I can. I do hope this helps you in your future plans.
Old 26th September 2011, 17:27   #9
BHPian

Thursday, 8th September.

After, my mom's trade mark pooja, we set out on our journey towards the roof of the world.

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!-dscn0583.jpg

All set.

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!-dscn0582.jpg

I wanted to reach Ahmedabad, as that was around 1500 Kms and planned it for 25 hours. Also, the ideal situation to fulfill my desire to drive, as much as I can.

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!-dscn0576.jpg

Left Bangalore at 3:35 PM.

I have done NH4 twice before and it is a bliss to drive in the night. I prefer driving in the night as there is less traffic and also, since I wanted to drive continuously, I planned to leave in the afternoon, so I can drive through the night and have about 12 more hours, during the day time, to cover the maximum I can.

Friday, 9th September.

Reached, Mumbai around 7 in the morning. With Kumar sir's instructions, on how to reach Ghodbunder (Document attached) reached G'bunder around 8:30.

From G'bunder, the road is not that great for nearly 30 to 40 Kms, till the 6-lane starts. There was a lot of traffic and way too many lorries. The lorries dont stick to their lanes and after crossing Surat, there was a massive traffic jam.

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!-dscn0590.jpg

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!-dscn0591.jpg

There was a lane only for cars and I had to struggle to get to it. After about 90 odd minutes, crossed Surat. Though its a 6-lane road, the lorries make it a nightmare to drive. The Vadodara-Ahmedabad is by far the best road I have driven.

Reached Ahmedabad around 6 P.M and thought of driving even further. Drove for another 150 odd kms and stopped at a dhaba for dinner and slept in the car.

Route :

Bangalore -> Tumkur -> Chitradurga -> Hubli -> Belgaum -> Pune -> Thane -> Ghodbunder -> Surat -> Vadodara -> Ahmedabad -> Stopped at a Dhaba, on the way to Udaipur.

Highway :

1. NH4 till Pune.
2. Pune - Mumbai Expressway
3. Road towards Thane and then towards Ghodbunder
4. NH8 from Ghodbunder to Surat and Vadodara
5. Vadodara - Ahmedabad Expressway
6. NH8 to Udaipur

Distance :

1669 Kms

Number of hours :

29 hours

Yes, I finally found myself the answer to the number of hours I can drive, without sleep and fulfilled my long awaited quest.

Mileage

15.2 (Was constantly driving at 90)

Saturday, 10th September.

After resting for 4 hours, left the Dhaba at 2 A.M towards Udaipur. Reached Udaipur around 5 and headed towards Kishangarh, which was around 300 Kms.

The initial plan was towards Jaipur -> Delhi -> Ambala -> Ludhiana, however the previous day, 7th Sep, spoke to Kumar sir and he gave me this alternate route, as he had just come back from Leh. Thank you again sirji. The route is a two-lane State Highway, however it is wonderful to drive on this stretch.

Reach H'garh around 9 PM. We found a lodge to rest for the night and planned to drive to Jammu, the following day.

Route :

Kishangarh -> Makrana -> Ratangarh -> Rawatsar -> Hanumangarh

Distance :

400 Kms
Attached Files
File Type: docx How to bypass Bombay via New Bombay.docx (12.3 KB, 619 views)

Last edited by aviorp : 26th September 2011 at 18:04.
aviorp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 14:08   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved back to the Travelogues section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 27th September 2011, 14:37   #11
BHPian

29 hours continuous driving !!! Are you serious ? Isnt that kind of dangerous ?
Old 27th September 2011, 14:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Good start. I think it was good that you had a partner in this long drive. It definitely helps, rather than doing the journey alone.

Following the thread for further updates.
Old 27th September 2011, 14:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

One more travelouge of Leh/ Waiting for more! Also I suggest (if I may) add a bit more writing to the travelouge. Nothing like a good detailed info and jaw dropping pics.

Edit: Every time I see a travelouge of Leh/Ladakh, I half expect the BHPian's location to be a North India. Good to see someone from our own Bangy do it

Last edited by sachinj12 : 27th September 2011 at 14:57.
Old 27th September 2011, 16:17   #14
BHPian

29 hours, on the trot, is a ridiculous amount of time to spend behind the wheel.
Didn't any of the seniors ask you not to do it?? I would especially like to hear what HVK has to say about that bit of dare devilry!
Though I am cheering for you!!
Old 27th September 2011, 19:03   #15
BHPian

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!-dscn0601.jpg

Sunday, 11th September

After a good amount of sleep, left H'garh around 6:30 AM and reached Amritsar at 11:30. Had a brief conversation with Kumar sir on the way to A'tsar and he informed one of his friends, who is also part of t-bhp is on the way to Leh and he has crossed Pathankot. Will share more details on this a little later.

Route :

H'garh -> Abohar -> Sri Muktsar Sahib -> Faridkot -> Amritsar

Highway :

NH15

Distance :

300 Kms

Golden Temple

Also called as The Harmandir Sahib, means Temple of God. The main intention was to have a common place to worship God by different religions and worship God equally.

There was a massive crowd and we were unable to go inside the temple. It was very well maintained and there were plenty of volunteers offering their services that day, like free water, free turban's and free shoe counter.

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!-dscn0594.jpg

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!-dscn0595.jpg

Jallianwala Bagh Memorial

A peaceful protest turned into hell, when Dyer opened fire without any sought of warning and killed thousands of people. People jumped into a well, without having to be killed by the troops. It hurts a lot to see all these and does bring a tear to your eye.

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!-dscn0602.jpg

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!-dscn0603.jpg

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!-dscn0604.jpg

Bad Roads Lead To Good Destinations!-dscn0606.jpg
aviorp is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks