Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2013, 09:39   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike909 View Post
I can help with any specific details that Punto owners aspiring to drive to Leh may require. The photo below is after crossing the Zozila.
Congrats strike909
4 people in a hatchback, I want to see how you had packed your baggage.
For everyone's help, request you to start a travelogue soon instead of posting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
That's nice to see your Punto at Zozila. How did your Punto perform in tackling the ghat section to Zozila? My Linea will be visiting Leh again by next month exactly after 2 years!
That's a wonderful way to celebrate the 2nd year anniversary.
Will any new states be covered this time? Just out of curiosity, what is the count right now?
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 10:34   #197
J.Ravi

Re: Leh in a Linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
That's a wonderful way to celebrate the 2nd year anniversary.
Thanks, hemanth.anand.
Quote:
Will any new states be covered this time?
Not now. Maybe in 2014!
Quote:
what is the count right now?
22. The details are here.
  (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 11:52   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's nice to see your Punto at Zozila. How did your Punto perform in tackling the ghat section to Zozila? My Linea will be visiting Leh again by next month exactly after 2 years!
Hi Ravi Sir, great to know that you will be celebrating 2yr anniversary next month. What are the tentative dates, we are traveling on 24th Aug (my Manza & a Duster from Chennai), it would be great to meet you in Leh.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 19:04   #199
J.Ravi

Thanks, motomaverick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
What are the tentative dates
We are scheduled to leave Bangalore on 3 September 2013 and return on 22 September 2013. We will be in Leh during 11-14 Sep.

Old 5th August 2013, 19:10   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, motomaverick.

We are scheduled to leave Bangalore on 3 September 2013 and return on 22 September 2013. We will be in Leh during 11-14 Sep.
Quote:
Hi Ravi Sir, great to know that you will be celebrating 2yr anniversary next month. What are the tentative dates, we are traveling on 24th Aug (my Manza & a Duster from Chennai), it would be great to meet you in Leh.
Nice. I also plan to to be in Leh around that time. I will be leaving Kolkata most probably around 6th September in my Manza and will be in Leh around 11th September.

Last edited by A.G.The Rambler : 5th August 2013 at 19:12.
A.G.The Rambler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 10:32   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, motomaverick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G.The Rambler View Post
Nice. I also plan to to be in Leh around that time. I will be leaving Kolkata most probably around 6th September in my Manza and will be in Leh around 11th September.
Too bad we will miss each other. We are in Leh from 29th Aug to 6th Sept. All the best to both. A.G I can give you updates about the Manza if required since we would be finishing before you reach Leh.
motomaverick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 11:06   #202
BHPian

excellent trip details.. I have been to leh twice on my RE and wanted to do this trip with family. Your trip is indeed amazing but i feel most of the great places like Pangong Tso, Nubra, Sarchu, More Planes were unexplored in the region. I still do not have the courage to take my family in my manza since whenever i will be doing this trip, i will be entering through Spiti and coming back via Srinagar. Based on my experience so far, its way to difficult for any sedan or hatchback.
adroit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 13:26   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Too bad we will miss each other. We are in Leh from 29th Aug to 6th Sept. All the best to both. A.G I can give you updates about the Manza if required since we would be finishing before you reach Leh.
That would be great. Anyway i will call you this weekend to discuss about your preparations.
Old 6th August 2013, 19:25   #204

I executed the Zozila leg of my trip on 23 June 13 from Srinagar to Kargil. Return on 2 Jul 13 from Kargil to Srinagar. From Srinagar to Kargil I reached the Ghat section of Zozila at about 1400 hrs. There are two routes to go up the Zozila, the frist one is the lower route which appears to be the main and most obvious route a portion of which is metalled when approaching from the Srinagar side. The second route branches to the left from the first route and unless some other vehicle takes the left turn on to the second route it is likely that one may miss taking this route. The main reason being that the first route continues to be metalled near the left turn on to the second route and the metalled road turns right (Towards the East)where as the second route which is gravel turns left (Towards the West). Both these routes join after completing the ghat section at a Y junction that you have mentioned in the return leg of your journey in 2011.
I took the lower first route during my Srinagar to Kargil leg. It was daunting as there was heavy truck traffic going up this section and the metalled road finished after about 30m from the diversion to the second route. The road was dry and extremely dusty at times visibility was dropping to about 2m. The loaded vehicle as well as the high altitude required the engine to be revved in the turbo region of above 2000RPM on 1st gear to extract any decent pickup. There were 3 occassions where all the passengers had to get off for the punto to climb over obstacles and across streams from melting glacial ice. Clearence with a fully loaded Punto on the tracks cut by heavy truck traffic was giving all of us heartaches when the occassional thuds were heard from below. The Burning smell from the Clutch plates was also a serious concern. However once the ghat section cleared we halted the vehicle giving adequate time for the clutch plate to cool in the 12 deg mountain breeze. Thereafter, apart from occassional bumps, we had no major problems.
The return leg was a breeze. We reached the Ghat section at about 0900hrs.While approaching the infamous Y fork we could see that the lower route was empty. The harrowing exp of the climb was still in our minds hence we decided to take the Second route. When we were about 20m into the upper route we observed a jam about 100 m ahead with two trucks facing each other. A quick spot decision to turn around and travel town the first route proved to be a blessing . We faced a 10 min jam on this route but very little traffic at 0900h in the morning. This could also be a fallout of the second day of Bandh called by a political party in the valley however visible signs of a Bandh were missing right upto Srinagar.
strike909 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 20:47   #205

Condition of the Zozila descent section ( lower route ) as seen from the PuntoLeh in a Linea-wp_20130702_006.jpg

Leh in a Linea-wp_20130702_007.jpg
strike909 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 23:15   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Even if one person takes a decision to visit Leh on his/her own car with low GC/long wheel base, based on this travelogue, I assume that this thread served its purpose!
Ravi Sir, read the TL at one go! I follow your Linea ownership thread, but was unaware of this TL till an hour ago.

I've always wanted to go to Leh, but reading your TL makes me more determined to do it in my June 2013 Linea T-Jet Emotion (190 mm GC).

Thanks for writing!
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2013, 07:20   #207
BHPian

Mr Ravi: I read all 14 pages in one sitting.

1. Great descriptive travel story.
2. Excellent photography.
3. Treasure trove of information.

We are planning a motorbike ride from Jammu to Leh via the Moghul route starting 21 Aug.

Regrets, the area is disturbed as of today.

What are your thoughts about the Moghul Highway ?

Rgds
nanduchitnis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2013, 08:32   #208
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
I've always wanted to go to Leh, but reading your TL makes me more determined to do it in my June 2013 Linea T-Jet
Nothing to worry as you will be going in a powerful sedan-cum-SUV.
Quote:
Thanks for writing!
You are welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
We are planning a motorbike ride from Jammu to Leh via the Moghul route starting 21 Aug.
Bon voyage. I am planning to do a Ladakh expedition on my RE Thunderbird 500 in 2014. Lemme see. Thanks for the appreciation.
Quote:
Regrets, the area is disturbed as of today.
But, the situation is dynamic, changes very fast on day-to-day basis. I wish you all the best.
Quote:
What are your thoughts about the Moghul Highway ?
I did not go via Moghul Highway. I went and came back via Kargil/Sonamarg/Srinagar.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 11th August 2013 at 08:35.

Old 11th August 2013, 10:34   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

@Strike: when was this pic taken. I returned back through Zozilla on the 4th of August with the other route being closed due to land slide. The one route that was open were the regular one with loads of trucks and long traffic queues and the bulldozers clearing off the loose stone sections (from a fresh land slide)
Old 12th August 2013, 12:59   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
@Strike: when was this pic taken. I returned back through Zozilla on the 4th of August with the other route being closed due to land slide. The one route that was open were the regular one with loads of trucks and long traffic queues and the bulldozers clearing off the loose stone sections (from a fresh land slide)
Eagerly waiting for your TL and other details of the trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks