Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2011, 17:01   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh in a Linea

Ravi Sir, in one of the above photos where you have mentioned that the NH1D was superb for @100+ kms, which is that gleaming mountain peak? It is looking so gorgeous in the golden sunlight.

Also in the next pic "My Linea caught between Indus & weathered rocks" I can see that there is hardly any road on the left side of the median (center marking). Was that washed away, looks so treacherous. The curved rocks overlooking the road give a feeling as if some dinosaur has opened his jaws, readying himself for his breakfast.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 08:15   #92
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Once again I salute your great spirit to do this trip driving alone and you wife who did this trip with you also deserves every encomiums that comes your way!
Thanks a lot, lloydofcochin, for superlative compliments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
which is that gleaming mountain peak? It is looking so gorgeous in the golden sunlight.
Thanks. I was so attracted by that golden peak, I immediately clicked a snap of it without bothering to know the name of that peak.
Quote:
in the next pic "My Linea caught between Indus & weathered rocks" I can see that there is hardly any road on the left side of the median (center marking). Was that washed away, looks so treacherous.
As you could see from the photograph, most of the left lane on a curve was caved in due to either landslide or erosion by the river. That was a very dangerous stretch indeed.

Old 7th October 2011, 10:40   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Drass War Memorial - Our Salute To Indian Defence Forces

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
During Kargil War fought between May and July 1999, Indian security forces successfully drove away the Pakistani armed infiltrators and recaptured the Indian territory occupied by them. Now, we could drive on NH 1D safely thanks to the supreme sacrifice made by the Indian security personnel.
Awesome Ravi.

Thank you for remembering our heroes on every step of this drive. It really wound not have been possible without them.
The photos from the War Memorial took me through all those days when it was happening and we all were glued to the TV and the newspapers with a heavy heart.

And well done taking the Linea to 15000 ft!

Congratulations!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 7th October 2011 at 10:42.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 11:33   #94
J.Ravi

Srinagar: Nishat Bagh aka Mughal Garden

Nishat Bagh is the second largest Mughal Garden in Kashmir Valley, the first one being Shalimar Bagh.

On 21 September 2011 [Wednesday], we got up late, had a brunch of poori, subzi and tea and proceeded to Fairdeal Motors, Parimpora, Baramulla Road, Srinagar with the guidance of my MMI navigator for servicing of my Linea. I handed over the vehicles to the SA at 11:30 pm and got it back by 4:30 pm only. My list of works included full servicing, topping of engine oil/fluids, set right the engine guard plate, fixing of all the four mud-flaps [which my Linea lost at Zoji La] and rear right stop light bulb [which got burnt at Leh]. Except the last one, all others were attended to including a thorough wash. I paid Rs 990 by cash. Cards were not accepted there. We waited at the customer lounge until my Linea was handed over to me. We were served with tea and puff. After consuming them, we were asked to pay Rs 20!

We had time to visit Nishat Bagh, aka Mughal Garden only, which closed at sunset. We missed Shalimar Garden due to lack of time.
Leh in a Linea-dsc05092.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05094.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05095.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05096.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05098.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05100.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05102.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05105.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05106.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05109.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05110.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05115.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05119.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05121.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05124.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05126.jpg
We shopped at the nearby Kashmir Valley Arts Emporium, my Linea had her tankful at HP petrol pump, we had our dinner at a Punjabi Vaishno Dhaba opposite HP PP and returned to Hotel Mirage. I settled the bill, packed and loaded most of the luggage in my Linea, keeping only bare minimum in the room, as we were scheduled to depart at 4 am the next day.

More to come.
  (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 13:59   #95
J.Ravi

Srinagar to Chandigarh

Jawahar Tunnel is 2.5 km long and connects Banihal and Qazigund.

On 22 September 2011 [Thursday], I did Srinagar to Chandigarh. We had left Srinagar at 4:10 am and reached Chandigarh at 9:30 pm including breaks for breakfast [dry fruits+nuts+fruit juice], lunch [at Vaishno Dhaba near Samba] and dinner [at Haveli near Jalandhar] and stoppage before Jawahar Tunnel for about half hour and at manned railway level crossing across NH 21. I did not take the Udhampur bypass this time. I drove through Udhampur city roads which were unexpectedly kept nice. Now, I knew the reason why most of the vehicles shun Udhampur bypass!
Leh in a Linea-dsc05129.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05131.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05133.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05135.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05136.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05138.jpg
My MMI Lx130 navigator guided me through NH 1A via Pathankot, Dasuya and Jalandhar to Chandigarh. I knew, I could have gone via Hoshiarpur, but then, I wanted to have dinner at Haveli, near Jalandhar, which I saw on my way to Amritsar! NH 1A was 4 lane up to Mukerian and from Jalandhar, 30 km towards Pathankot. The rest of the stretches were still under construction with a lot of deviations. Crossing Dasuya town was a pain in the neck.
Leh in a Linea-dsc05139.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05142.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05143.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05145.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05147.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05149.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05150.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05446.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05153.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05156.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05157.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05158.jpg
At Hotel KLG, Sector 43, Chandigarh, where I had confirmed reservation from MakeMyTrip, we were made to wait for more than half-hour as they didn't have vacancy. Finally, we were allotted a suite, where while we were unpacking, we were shifted to another room within 5 minutes! Apart from this goof up, the hotel was good. We drowned into sleep immediately.

To be continued.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 7th October 2011 at 14:25.
  (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 14:59   #96
J.Ravi

Re: Drass War Memorial - Our Salute To Indian Defence Forces

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
And well done taking the Linea to 15000 ft!
Thanks a lot for the compliments, anandpadhye. Actually, my Linea drove on the highest motorable road in the world at Khardung La, which has an altitude of 18,380' above MSL.

Old 7th October 2011, 15:53   #97
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ravi,

Read the whole TL in one go. What an amazing narration and what lovely photos. Hats off to you sir, for completing such a journey.

Leh has been on my radar for a long time now, and time permitting shall do it soon. This TL sure is an inspiration to many!
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 17:36   #98
BHPian

Superb travelogue Ravi sir! Perfect combination of man and machine. Makes me feel proud that I too own a Linea.
GTX007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 17:52   #99
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
What an amazing narration and what lovely photos. Hats off to you sir, for completing such a journey.
Thank you, Swanand Inamdar, for the compliments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX007 View Post
Superb travelogue Ravi sir! Perfect combination of man and machine. Makes me feel proud that I too own a Linea.
Thanks a lot, GTX007, for superlative appreciation. Linea can easily go to any destination thanks to its sturdy engine guard which absorbs all the impact and shocks.

Old 7th October 2011, 17:55   #100
Senior - BHPian

Outstanding thread Sir. You gave me the chance to actually look at the pictures of Jallianwala bagh and other historic places which I used to visualise during my school days in history classes.
The pictures of Dal lake and leh are mesmerizing.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 18:33   #101
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
The pictures of Dal lake and leh are mesmerizing.
Thank you, guyfrmblr, for kind words. Photographs of Chandigarh are still to be posted.

Old 8th October 2011, 00:23   #102
Senior - BHPian

awesome photo's Ravi, really like your meticulous approach of taking the MID pics at every night halt. I guess another trip to Leh is pending for the Pangong Tso
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 08:36   #103
J.Ravi

Chandigarh: Rock Garden

Chandigarh: I wanted to visit this planned city from 1970s, when I studied town planning in my engineering college, but could do it only on 23 September 2011! Anyway, it is always better late than never.

On 23 September 2011 [Friday], we got ready, enjoyed sumptuous and delicious breakfast at Hotel KLG and left for the much-acclaimed Rock Garden.
Leh in a Linea-dsc05159.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05160.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05199.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05161.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05164.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05174.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05176.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05189.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05190.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05191.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05196.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05212.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05213.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05215.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05216.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05219.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05220.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05221.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05222.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05224.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05225.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05226.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05227.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05228.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05229.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05230.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05232.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05244.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05245.jpg
Leh in a Linea-dsc05247.jpg
To be continued.
  (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 09:17   #104
BHPian

congratulations SIR on completion of your journey.
I had done the circuit in august last year in a scorpio and ever since i had read about your plan to do it in a linea i was wondering whether you would make it back in one piece,hats off to you and your better half for being an inspiration to all of us .
sierrakamat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 10:51   #105
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome achievement - super travelogue with great pictures
Ravi sir, hats off to you and your wife. I'm sure her support and spirit played a very important role in the success of your expedition
While several of the Leh/Ladakh travelgues have ignited the passion to do such a trip, your journey has brought confidence in my mind that mere mortals like myself can possibly do this.
I'm just hoping the right time will come soon for me to undertake such an expedition from Bangalore.
Thanks for sharing your experience !

Ravi sir - if you don't mind could you give us your 'darshan' please with another picture of yourself ?

Last edited by NPV : 8th October 2011 at 10:57.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks