Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2011, 11:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Trip to Kodai, Thekkady, Munnar and Alleppy

Beautiful photos. Brought the whole nature on the desk top/laptop/in the tphone or Ipad.Hope the kids might have enjoyed a lot. By the bye where is that rope way to the hill?
Old 21st October 2011, 12:34   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohsinRoadster View Post
Nice pics Ranger,

The falls in Kodai is called Rat Tail falls.
Thank you Mohsin. Now I recollect the name and nice valley view from the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Beautiful photos. Brought the whole nature on the desk top/laptop/in the tphone or Ipad.Hope the kids might have enjoyed a lot. By the bye where is that rope way to the hill?
Thank you Navan. Kids did enjoyed a lot till the end and they have experienced all kinds of rides like riding horse, elephant ride, boating at all the places and cycling. The rope way is at Palani from the parking to the temple on the hill top.
Old 21st October 2011, 13:54   #33
BHPian

Continued from earlier post:

Post this ride, we went to check the Alleppy beach and decided to come next morning since it was getting dark. My younger one was sleeping too and upon checking realised she had slight fever. Returned back to home stay, asked them to make light dinner and rested.

Friends, from here on, there are no photos worth sharing, since the little one fell really sick and had severe diarrhea. We cancelled Kochi trip and were running around the hospitals for the medication next day. At one point thought of leaving for Bangalore but did not want to further put pressure on her.

The whole of Friday, 23rd September was spent resting at the home stay. As planned, we left the home stay at 5:00 am on Saturday, Filled in fuel at
the highway IBP petrol station and by 5:30 had crossed Alleppy. We reached Thrissur by 8 am and as suggested by the members of the team, took Shoranor route to reach Palakkad. We packed some Idly and vada at a restaurant to be consumed in the mid way. By 1030 am we crossed Palakkad and stopped for tea at a road side Dhaba. Luckily we did not encounter much traffic between Coimbotore and Avinashi stretch. On the outskirts of Tirupur, we were stopped by cops and our luggage's were thoroughly checked. We could not understand at that moment on the reason behind the same but later came to know that their was a heist at Muthoot finance at Tirupur on the same day.

We reached Ghar Dhaba between Krishnagiri and Dharamapuri by 2:30 pm had good lunch, stretched a bit and reached home at Bannerghatta Road by 510 pm in the evening. Took both the children to the hospital, had them thoroughly checked and medicated.

I must say that except for the stretch between Palakkad and Coimbotore and Coimbotore and Avinashi, the roads were excellent and did not feel the stress of driving at all.

End of the Journey and this travelogue.

Note of thanks:

I thank all the folks who gave me those valuable suggestions, guidance and encouragement to make this a wonderful experience for us and the courage to write this travelogue.

I referred to the following threads which were of immense help to me in shortlisting some of the places to see.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...erala-188.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ays-bliss.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-munnar-5.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...i-swift-d.html

On the cost front: Total of 1800+ kms traveled and the no of liter's of diesel consumed stands at 91.1 ending up with a mileage of 19.75 which is quite impressive considering the fact that the 2nd service for the vehicle is due in October.

I have attached the sheet which is the compilation of information from above thread and the expenditure. The sheet about place to see in Munnar is a straight life from DreamDiesel's thread and i sincerely thank him for the same.

Holiday plan.xlsx

Thank you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Indian Ranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 14:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

Indian Ranger, I have a strong principle that the kids should enjoy the trips rather than we elders. So I always take my grand children along with me where ever I go. Recently I took my grand daughter to Yercaud and to a village near Salem. They really enjoyed the guava fruits in the tree and enjoyed plucking themselves.Now my doubts are about Thekkadi. Did the resume boat service? Did you get any chance of seeing wild animals? If that is the rat falls in your picture which one is the Silver Cascade falls in your Photos? I think if it is on the road from Batlagundu to Kodai then it should be Silver Cascade. I frequently visit Madurai Dindigul and if boat service is resumed I would like to take the kids to Thekkadi. Nice sum up of your continued travelogue.
Old 21st October 2011, 15:32   #35
BHPian

Hi Navan,

Agree with you that kids have to enjoy first and then the adults.

Silver cascade is this:
Trip to Kodai, Thekkady, Munnar and Alleppy-dscf0351.jpgTrip to Kodai, Thekkady, Munnar and Alleppy-dscf0352.jpg

Rat tail Falls is this:

Trip to Kodai, Thekkady, Munnar and Alleppy-dscf0584.jpgTrip to Kodai, Thekkady, Munnar and Alleppy-dscf0585.jpg

The place which was liked by my kids the most is kodai because they could go boating, cycling and do horse riding all at the same place and spend time leisurely. Hopefully i shall take them for another trip to Kodai next year.

Coming to Thekkady, the boating has been opened and operational and this time the safety measure are very stringent. They do not let any of the passenger relax by opening the buckles of the life jackets also. One of the officials would keep visiting us every 15-20 minutes, share some updates and at the same time check the safety also.

We could spot lot of Bisons, deers, wild boars and an elephant from far on the boat ride but kids will be little bored due to the long duration and might feel hungry. We did carry some snacks before hand which helped.

Thanks for your appreciations and comments on the travelogue.

Old 21st October 2011, 15:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the input and the update Indian Ranger. Your update will make us be prepared for the trip with kids. I lived in the Himalayas for 28 years but the kids lived in Chennai. So they love mountains. The animals from boating will be real interesting.How about the stay in Thekkadi.
Old 21st October 2011, 16:16   #37
BHPian

There are lot of hotels at Thekkady, Navan. I had an arrangement at an homestay, but chose to go for a hotel and could get some good bargains.

We stayed in a hotel called Ranger Woods which was just outside the sanctuary and the rates are on the higher side. But there are lot of homestay's and hotels around and we can get good bargains face to face than on the net.

You can check the following link for more info:

Thekkady, Periyar Tiger Reserve, Destination, Idukki, Kerala, India

Thekkady, Thekkady hotels, Thekkady resorts,Thekkady map, Thekkady kerala, Thekkady homestay Kerala Tourism Hotels, Kerala tour packages, Kerala tour and Travels, Kerala Hotels, Kerala Tour Places, Ayurvedic Kerala Tour, Kerala hotels and Resorts

The hotels do help in arranging jeep safari's or trekking into the forest area. Do check in with the hotel you stay but see to it that you have at least 2-3 days in hand to see all the locations.
Old 21st October 2011, 16:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

Nice to know the indian ranger stayer in Woods ranger. I visited in 1990. We stayed in Periyar House. Seems I will talk to them before going.It was of KTDC's. Other wise would like to stay in Cumbum and visit Thekkady and come back. Thanks for the references site. Through that website I remembered the Periyar House.
Old 21st October 2011, 17:35   #39
BHPian

Periyar is always the best. please book in advance and reach the hotel before 5 pm because they will allow into the sanctuary only if there is booking.

I stayed at Ranger Woods and not Wood Rangers. Here is the link if it helps:

Rangerwood Thekkady -Resorts/Hotels in Thekkady|Premium/Luxury/Budget/Star Accommodation in Thekkady|Boating in Thekkady|
Old 26th October 2011, 01:19   #40
BHPian

Aleppey backwater ferry ride is among World's Most Beautiful Ferry Rides.

Check the link
World's Most Beautiful Ferry Rides
Old 28th October 2011, 16:51   #41
BHPian

Great news Mohsin. Alleppy's back waters definitely are worth to be listed among the Worlds Top Ten. Feels good to read.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 17th April 2012, 16:42   #42
Senior - BHPian

Bumping this thread again, i remember you posting that you stayed at Grand Plaza (Grand Plaza Munnar) when in Munnar. Was the hotel good, are there any other good hotels which are more natural? This one seems like a big building (4 floors), and we would prefer something on the ground in natural surroundings.

Googling around found these four luxury hotels any idea how they are (http://www.hotelsinmunnar.com/luxuryhotelsinmunnar.html)

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 17th April 2012 at 16:44.
Old 20th April 2012, 22:32   #43
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Bumping this thread again, i remember you posting that you stayed at Grand Plaza (Grand Plaza Munnar) when in Munnar. Was the hotel good, are there any other good hotels which are more natural? This one seems like a big building (4 floors), and we would prefer something on the ground in natural surroundings.

Googling around found these four luxury hotels any idea how they are (Hotels in Munnar, Hotels, Hotel, accomodation, Luxury, Budget, resorts, star hotels in Munnar, Munnar Hotel Bookings, Munnar Hotel Online reservations)
Mayank - I stayed at Clouds Valley during my visit last year, good place very close to the town centre. You can also consider Abad Copper castle.
I'm sure there is another thread that has lots of suggestions on hotels in Munnar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks