Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2011, 12:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why Not A SaddleSore?

Am no biker - but that was one brilliant attempt. Congrats man. And great photos as usual
Old 6th October 2011, 13:03   #17
BHPian

very nice write up.

Excellent pictures, and just the right quantity, not too less, not too much!
rated 5 stars.
Thanks for the link to IBA site. It is astonishing to see the number of categories for the rides!
Old 6th October 2011, 13:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Well well, firstly congrats on the Ninja250R. I followed your Wrangler wanderer ride on the ZMR. So is the ZMR sold in favor of the N250?

Of course, a big congrats on completing the SaddleSore 1600. No easy feat that. And a huge round of applause to you for being able to capture some nice shots though you were on a time crunch. Rated a well deserved 5 stars for the succinct narration and pics.

One clarification. If the Saddlesore is done with a Pillion and there is documented proof that he was there all through the ride, the certificate will be awarded to both rider and pillion as per IBA.

@Sheel: you are right when you say that the rider who might accompany will be bad at endurance riding or just riding in general and will be a demotivating factor on such an endurance ride. I remember reading a thread on another forum where 5 R15 riders completed the saddle sore successfully together and it made for some good reading about their spirit and the issues they faced. But the same cannot be done by everyone.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 6th October 2011 at 13:13.
Old 6th October 2011, 14:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Dear Ananth,

Congratulations for this feat. Its truly well deserved.

And as for the topic "Why Not A Saddlesore?" well I say Why Not too???

Any thrilling experience will have its own share of risks involved. And just to cut down the risk involved we do planning, re-planning and more planning till we think we set are to do it.

I am not much of a biker but I am sure this thing is as thrilling as sky diving, bungee jumping and other adventure sports. I believe the key is to have confidence in yourself, confidence in your equipment and the will power to endure it.

So once again, congrats to you and to your machine which was equally important in helping you achieve that u wanted to.

Many more safe miles to you!!!
Thanks so much Deky. Words like these boost the morale and inspire to ride more

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Am no biker - but that was one brilliant attempt. Congrats man. And great photos as usual
Thanks mallumowgli!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
very nice write up.

Excellent pictures, and just the right quantity, not too less, not too much!

rated 5 stars.
Thanks for the link to IBA site. It is astonishing to see the number of categories for the rides!
Thanks Vasanth.

Yes, There are several categories - The simple and most easiest in their site is the IBA 1600K, To cover 1600 Kilometers within 24 hours, which itself is a great ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Well well, firstly congrats on the Ninja250R. I followed your Wrangler wanderer ride on the ZMR. So is the ZMR sold in favor of the N250?

Of course, a big congrats on completing the SaddleSore 1600. No easy feat that. And a huge round of applause to you for being able to capture some nice shots though you were on a time crunch. Rated a well deserved 5 stars for the succinct narration and pics.

One clarification. If the Saddlesore is done with a Pillion and there is documented proof that he was there all through the ride, the certificate will be awarded to both rider and pillion as per IBA.

@Sheel: you are right when you say that the rider who might accompany will be bad at endurance riding or just riding in general and will be a demotivating factor on such an endurance ride. I remember reading a thread on another forum where 5 R15 riders completed the saddle sore successfully together and it made for some good reading about their spirit and the issues they faced. But the same cannot be done by everyone.
Thanks abhinav!

Yes, I Sold the ZMR since it had a few niggling issues after the True Wanderer Ride Safe to say, i upgraded to a better bike

And with regard to the Pillion - The rule is you need to have witness at Start and end, and favorable to take multiple witness across the ride just to provide more proof to facilitate easier approval. And at no point, the pillion can ride the bike - Its the rider who should ride for 24 hours or more to complete the required kilometers.

And the 5 R15 riders were from Coimbatore, Had a couple of my friends in that group who complete the trip Successfully. Thanks again for your kind words.
Old 6th October 2011, 15:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
MadBiker.. Salutations!! I once had a ride on my bullet from Ernakulam to Thekkady and back in a single day. I had a pillion who was 20 kgs heavier than me the whole trip. We hadn't slept well so we fell asleep during the Thekkady boat ride, woke up and started our journey back. We didn't have any food as my pillion was observing fast (it was Ramzan). Man!! That was one awesome trip. 360+ kms. I was so tired when I reached home, I had a heavy early dinner and slept for 14 hours straight.

I can't even begin to imagine what 1600 kms must have done to your body and that too riding a Ninja. Appreciate your effort and determination. Kudos!!!
Thank you! May be the roads were not in a good condition and hence you felt even more tired. As it always happens, do not travel with a heavy pillion - If cannot avoid, ask the heavier pillion to ride when you are tired.

And thanks for your compliments
Old 6th October 2011, 16:39   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
Thank you! May be the roads were not in a good condition and hence you felt even more tired. As it always happens, do not travel with a heavy pillion - If cannot avoid, ask the heavier pillion to ride when you are tired.

And thanks for your compliments

My bullet had the gearbox on the right side and he was not comfortable with that. I felt road trip is not the right time to teach someone to ride differently. Plus why would I wanna sit pillion??

On a serious note he was already fasting. I didn't wanna take any risks. Also may I ask, don't you prefer a company for such long rides? Maybe not pillion but a fellow rider?
Old 6th October 2011, 17:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
My bullet had the gearbox on the right side and he was not comfortable with that. I felt road trip is not the right time to teach someone to ride differently. Plus why would I wanna sit pillion??

On a serious note he was already fasting. I didn't wanna take any risks. Also may I ask, don't you prefer a company for such long rides? Maybe not pillion but a fellow rider?
I do ride along with my other riding buddies. Some times when i feel like riding, I take the road without a second thought and somehow i like to be alone when i want to find / dedicate time for myself. I tend to think out loud when I'm riding alone in the twisties of Munnar and Idukki
Old 6th October 2011, 19:30   #23
BHPian

Man..excellent write up.
Congrats for completing the saddlesore.
Just thinking about riding 1650kms itself, makes my entire body sore.
Old 6th October 2011, 19:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
Man..excellent write up.
Congrats for completing the saddlesore.
Just thinking about riding 1650kms itself, makes my entire body sore.

Thanks! It is indeed a tiring trip, but once you complete it successfully we can lay back and enjoy that we have achieved something in life at-least
Old 6th October 2011, 21:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

@MadBiker This is an amazing ride, at first when i read it i said to myself what a stupid thing to do, and what a waste of time, until i read IBA site and educated myself on what Iron Butt Association is all about. This thread has made me know a little bit more about biking and the kind of endurance the bikers and bikes go through.

Congratulations, and may you ride safe in all your future attempts. Would love to do something like this but not sure if i can last that long (24 Hrs).
Old 7th October 2011, 13:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
@MadBiker This is an amazing ride, at first when i read it i said to myself what a stupid thing to do, and what a waste of time, until i read IBA site and educated myself on what Iron Butt Association is all about. This thread has made me know a little bit more about biking and the kind of endurance the bikers and bikes go through.

Congratulations, and may you ride safe in all your future attempts. Would love to do something like this but not sure if i can last that long (24 Hrs).
Thank You mayankjha1806. Glad the information was useful. The Association is not about crazy riders, but riders who go an extra mile to do anything for their love for motorcycles and long distance endurance riding.

And Good Luck if you ever were to try anything similar
Old 7th October 2011, 14:16   #27
BHPian

Fantastic write-up and a masterclass effort. I think you'll end up doing even better. You are an inspiration to many. 'Kalakita.. thalaiva'!
Old 7th October 2011, 14:36   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
Fantastic write-up and a masterclass effort. I think you'll end up doing even better. You are an inspiration to many. 'Kalakita.. thalaiva'!
Thanks a lot aviorp. Happy if my trip was an inspiration for others.
Old 7th October 2011, 16:18   #29
BHPian

Great write up and inspirational attempt. Heartiest congrats
Old 7th October 2011, 17:28   #30
BHPian

@MadBiker - That's an awesome achievement. Pl. accept sincere congratulations from a fellow biking enthusiast. Also a beautifully written log, parts of which I was able to relate to. I have done a 20 hrs. non stop run from Trivandrum to Bangalore (close to 800 kms) in my Caliber. Just boggles my mind on how you covered 1650 kms in 24 hrs. Kudos to your stamina & endurance!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks