Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 15:07   #61

Re: The Road To the Sea. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore. Again!

this travelogue reminds me of my poetic days when i used to compose the entire story at a stretch in a single page....simply awesome...the pleasure of a vacation is something you've earned for your self but with the art of writing you've shared it with fellow t-bhpians.
OffDaBeemer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 17:33   #62
Team-BHP Support

Wow, this is a seriously overwhelming response! Thank you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Excellent Travelogue Suhaas. The snaps of NH4 are amazing. Honda has never gone wrong in Jazz (except initial pricing) and is the best Petrol Hatch in India.

I feel some roads are poor due to monsoon. I think it will be relaid soon.

How long did you take to reach Hubli? Any idea about Goa-Karwar-udupi-Mangalore road (NH-17) ?.

Like many, I am now instigated (by you ) to plan a trip to Goa.
Thank you RGK! It took us one third, or maybe a little over 1/3rd the time to reach Hubli. About 5 hours ro so, despite it being a good 400 kms. The roads were very good, and you maintain an average of 100, you will reach in no time. We maintained an average of 80-100, and occasionally crossed the 100 km/h mark. The stretch from Hubli to Ankola and then to Goa via Yellapur takes a little longer despite being about 250 kms. This stretch is relatively narrower and ribbons around the Ghats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Great Travelogue SS! Enjoyed reading it but I have to admit that I am a novice in understanding that class article. Enjoy and remember that this is just one life...so playtimes back.
That you so much Sid. Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Simply great travelogue. You may not have blown a huge amount. You may not have gone to great locations like ladakh or some european place. But you know what appealed to me in this log? It is straight from the heart (and in to the stomach as well!)
And it was nice to see the reflections of the past and present which was a surprise element! Here's 5 stars from my side. This is like one of the small budget super bollywood surprise flick amidst other blockbusters like Ladakh, Kaas etc that's been unfolding here!
Thank you MX6! I'm glad you enjoyed it! That is quite a compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Suhaas, excellent review and I enjoyed reading an "outsiders" view of of my hometown. It's always nice to read about my little state from a different perspective. We Goans tend to take things for granted, but reading such travelogues makes me glad that I live over here.

As always, what truly makes me happy is to see fellow Team-bhpians have a pleasant and eventful stay in Goa...

Your brilliant travelogue highlighted another wonderful aspect -- the Jazz. Forget about the Goan food (I get that on a daily basis), what impressed me was the amount of luggage that fitted in your Jazz. Man, wish I had some Rs 6 lakh and I would have rushed to the lone Honda showroom in Goa, rising petrol prices be damned. I'm never tired of admiring and envying the superb cabin/boot space of the Jazz. The great FE is an icing on the cake. Pity that the huge discounts did not boost sales of the Jazz in September.

...By the way, the cloth art by staff at Royal Orchid was superb. I should send my reporter to do a story on their creative abilities...

My wife is already convinced on the many benefits of the Jazz. Problem is, I need to find a sponsor or at least, to be a beneficiary in the will of a rich relative!

...To be honest, my mother-in-law is convinced that most restaurants in Goa have deviated from the traditional Chicken Xacuti, mainly to cater to popular appetite. The pricier (upmarket) the restaurant, the more distant it is from the traditional Goan recipe. Most traditional Goan dishes are best prepared in homes or in small family-run restaurants, which have basic ambiance. Martin's Corner is one such family-run restaurant which began in a humble way. Fame got the better of them in recent times and they are now highly commercial. We have stopped going to that place a long time ago. For that matter, we rather prefer places like Fisherman's Wharf at Cavelossim for the river-side ambiance or smaller joints that serve close to traditional Goan cuisine. For a nice fish thali in Panjim, we still like Ritz Classic, though it can get very crowded between 1 pm and 2.30 pm due to the office crowd.

Once again, I loved your travelogue of Goa and moreover, your love for your Jazz. Truly, it is "one of the best cars sold in India today" for an Indian family that loves to travel. The Jazz is, in my opinion, the closest to a proper estate/station wagon car (Tate Estate, Palio Adventure, Baleno Altura, Indigo Marina, etc) which, unfortunately, has always struggled in India.
Misquitas!

I'm glad you enjoyed my TL. You might be a local, but I'm very familiar with Goa. Been frequenting the place for a long time now. Over 12 years now, I think. This year, I'd been to Goa twice. I decided that I'd write a TL this time round.

I speak Konkani (it's my mother-tongue), so I feel as local as most locals would in Goa.

I loved Fisherman's Wharf. i've been there once and it's a beautiful place. If you go through my last year's TL, you'll find that I've reviewed that place too. The Ambiance is arguably the best I've experienced in any restaurant in India. And I can say this with conviction.

The Jazz is a great car. Now people might say I'm biased. But they don't read the complete story. I've very clearly mentioned the flaws of the jazz, and there are a few. And I've mentioned how it has affected us. And we wish it didn't have these flaws. But it's alright, we've learnt to accept it the way it is, and we have realized that, much like the things you love, the faults just disappear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Suhaas,

A superb journal, not to mention the juicy pics. All that seafood just kills me.

Cheers.
thank you so much VLOCT! How is the 911 mate? Any updates on her? I've been looking forward to some pictures of her. A photoshoot, or something on the same lines. Don't disappoint us Porschephiles please! Pretty please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
misquitas and Suhas it was typo.I am NOT planning to go in May. I am planning to go in Dec around 25th this year. Any suggestion on hotel. My budget is around 1.5 to 2.5K on room per day
I want relaxing holiday with less of water sports
Well, you could look at checking out some resorts in and around Palolem. It's probably one of the most southern beaches in the State, and is a very peaceful place, and you will definitely have a calm and relaxing holiday. Some resorts around the place will offer rooms at 1k-3k. Some of the shacks may be even cheaper. Make sure you book in advance though. And I mean, months in advance. Otherwise it would be hard to get accommodation anywhere, especially during season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
WOW! Wow! Wow!

you sent me to a flash back.. With my tongue wagging.

Just super.

You have covered everything that any traveller would like to know and more, very crisply with photos and taught's.

The Jazz seemed to be the right car, and is on my list of future cars. Your write-up has strengthen my views on the Jazz.
Thank you so much rajchetan! You're much too kind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
What a brilliant travelogue !!

Reminds me of my trip last year and as GTO mentioned, its time to do the planning again. Boy, you have included each detail and the rating about the food and service was the highlight. Ditto the mention of music. We don't come across such ratings in other travelogues. I'm glad you spared a thought to include those details.

Also the flashback pics are mindblowing. Each and every detail has been very well put together. Brilliant writeup too !!

The Jazz looks beautiful in the pics and your travelogue proves that Jazz is the best hatch money can buy and its worth the extra bit of penny. Would love to see more pics of the Jazz and the sea. And did I mention the alloys on your Jazz look damn hot !!

5*
Many thanks //M! I'm glad you enjoyed it. perhaps we should plan a road trip, and document it. Some of us younger BHPians. I was just talking to Libranof1987 about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffDaBeemer View Post
this travelogue reminds me of my poetic days when i used to compose the entire story at a stretch in a single page....simply awesome...the pleasure of a vacation is something you've earned for your self but with the art of writing you've shared it with fellow t-bhpians.
Thank you so much mate! Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooze View Post
Already a 5* thread. Not much to left to say. Just one word WOW.

A different view to look at Goa.

I was enjoying the Food rating even though i am a Vegi.

Yes Jazz can take whatever you want to load.
Thank you Scrooze! How's your Jazz doing? And I personally know many vegetarians who salivated when the saw the pictures! Despite all that meat and seafood! Hehe!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th October 2011 at 17:35.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 18:03   #63
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Many thanks //M! I'm glad you enjoyed it. perhaps we should plan a road trip, and document it. Some of us younger BHPians. I was just talking to Libranof1987 about it!
Sounds like a great plan. For sure, I'm in.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 18:28   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Scrooze! How's your Jazz doing? And I personally know many vegetarians who salivated when the saw the pictures! Despite all that meat and seafood! Hehe!
My Jazz is doing great. Recently did a Kaas trip and while coming back from Satara to Navi Mumbai on a 250 KM streach it returned a average of 18.1 (Based on tankful to tankful method).

How about providing some Veg food joints with rating will be helpful when we are in Goa in 2nd week of Nov.
Old 14th October 2011, 18:29   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Misquitas!

I'm glad you enjoyed my TL. You might be a local, but I'm very familiar with Goa. Been frequenting the place for a long time now. Over 12 years now, I think. This year, I'd been to Goa twice. I decided that I'd write a TL this time round.

I speak Konkani (it's my mother-tongue), so I feel as local as most locals would in Goa.

I loved Fisherman's Wharf. i've been there once and it's a beautiful place. If you go through my last year's TL, you'll find that I've reviewed that place too. The Ambiance is arguably the best I've experienced in any restaurant in India. And I can say this with conviction.
Glad to note of your links to Goa. Since you say Konkani is your mother tongue, I was a bit surprised that you referred to "Goa bread" when we refer to it as 'pao'.

I'm still drooling on your Jazz. It's my ultimate "hope-to-own" hatch. Wish you many happy miles with the beauty.
Old 14th October 2011, 19:10   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooze View Post
My Jazz is doing great. Recently did a Kaas trip and while coming back from Satara to Navi Mumbai on a 250 KM streach it returned a average of 18.1 (Based on tankful to tankful method).

How about providing some Veg food joints with rating will be helpful when we are in Goa in 2nd week of Nov.
That's good to hear, mate!

Well, I've never been to a veg-specific joint in Goa. We aren't vegetarians. But I can safely say that most of the places I have recommended offer some great vegetarian food too! But It's Goa, and seafood is the staple diet here. So it would be hard to find a veg-exclusive place!

Quote:
Glad to note of your links to Goa. Since you say Konkani is your mother tongue, I was a bit surprised that you referred to "Goa bread" when we refer to it as 'pao'.

I'm still drooling on your Jazz. It's my ultimate "hope-to-own" hatch. Wish you many happy miles with the beauty.
It is indeed 'Pao'. I know! But I'm not aware of too many Amchigeles on the Forum. But 'pao' would be the correct term to use. I didn't know why it didn't strike me, though!

Thank you! We're still drooling over her as well. Even today my mum told me that when she had gone out for groceries, she stopped and turned around to look at the car after parking it, and it looked brilliant, in the sea of Marutis and Hyundais. The blue really makes it stand out, even now. And it's great to know that it's not available on the new Jazz. Makes ours more exclusive!
Old 14th October 2011, 19:26   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! We're still drooling over her as well. Even today my mum told me that when she had gone out for groceries, she stopped and turned around to look at the car after parking it, and it looked brilliant, in the sea of Marutis and Hyundais. The blue really makes it stand out, even now. And it's great to know that it's not available on the new Jazz. Makes ours more exclusive!
My mum, unfortunately, thinks differently. When I told her about the superb Jazz and the huge price discount, her comment was something like: "But who buys Jazz? It is not a popular car and it may not be a good car. Buy Swift DZire instead, it is a very good car."

I guess her notion of car lies in this formula: popular=good.

Last edited by misquitas : 14th October 2011 at 19:28.
Old 14th October 2011, 21:39   #68
BHPian

Quote:
thank you so much VLOCT! How is the 911 mate? Any updates on her? I've been looking forward to some pictures of her. A photoshoot, or something on the same lines. Don't disappoint us Porschephiles please! Pretty please?
Thanks for the reply. Goa threads always have a special interest for me. Goa was our regular biker haunt for us MITians (Manipal) in the early '80s. Of course, it was a vastly different place then with tons of beach parties with all the 'interesting' stuff, great food and cheap accommodations. Looks like it still retains some of its charm, though.

It's also great to hear from BHPians from Goa. On our next trip, Goa is definitely on the agenda. I hope those guys will give us some pointers then.

Now news regarding the 911. We moved to Vegas recently. Still settling into our new house. The 911 is pretty much ready to go but is still back in Ohio. Hopefully, I'll get it here in the not too distant future. I'll definitely do a photo shoot and a video shoot and revive the 911 thread.

Meanwhile, keep going with these great diaries. Funny, living among the best restaurants in the world, it still surprises me what titillates ones palette.

Last edited by VLOCT : 14th October 2011 at 21:42.
Old 15th October 2011, 11:44   #69

Hi Suhas, Great stuff. I was in a dilemma whether to reach Goa via BLR->Shimoga->Honnawar route or take the BLR->Hubli->Ankola route. Now, I am more convinced to take the route you have taken.

Google maps shows the Hubli -> Ankola road as NH 63. You have mentioned it as a SH. Is it the same route or was it a different route?

I know you are a fan of Goa. How do you compare Gokarna with Goa? ;-) Or is it not worth comparing?
Old 15th October 2011, 12:43   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shch View Post
How do you compare Gokarna with Goa? ;-) Or is it not worth comparing?
''Kaha raja Bhoj aur kaha Gangu teli''.
[ There is no comparison between the King and the ordinary''.]

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 15th October 2011 at 12:57.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 12:48   #71
Team-BHP Support

An excellent travelogue Suhaas. I was waiting for the weekend to read through completely. Never been to Goa, but this is an inspiration to do a drive from Kerala to Goa in my next visit! Good going
Old 15th October 2011, 13:03   #72
BHPian

Nice travelogue , beautiful pictures , great narration . It reminds me of our last Goa visit . Dec 23-27- 2010 ) We decided to go to goa @ the last mt . As i did not confirm in the trip , my brother and my friend both got booking in Royal Orchid on the Uthroda Beach .

When myself and my wife decided , we could not make it to Royal Orchid as the booking was completed .

With no other way out , we tried booking in North Goa and got a one during the peak Christmas season .

We stayed in North Goa for the three day trip , and went to Royal Orchid on Day 3 of the visit , while my brother visited us to North Goa on Day 2 .

It was a nice mix of North & South Goa . We had the best of the both the worlds . South Goa is relaxed , less crowded ,beautiful beach ( Uttroda is a must visit ) where as North goa has all the action , the actual crowd which comes to Goa ( Anjuna, Callangunte , Baaga )
Old 15th October 2011, 14:18   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My mum, unfortunately, thinks differently. When I told her about the superb Jazz and the huge price discount, her comment was something like: "But who buys Jazz? It is not a popular car and it may not be a good car. Buy Swift DZire instead, it is a very good car."

I guess her notion of car lies in this formula: popular=good.
Popular is always the best!

That's why we bought the Jazz! Jokes apart, we do a lot of thinking before buying anything. We never go the popular route. I never, too. Even my taste in music is lob-sided. I don't listen to mainstream-stuff. Off-beat is the way to go, IMO. But it's sad to see that people judge things based on their popularity. Not everything popular is always good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Thanks for the reply. Goa threads always have a special interest for me. Goa was our regular biker haunt for us MITians (Manipal) in the early '80s...

...Funny, living among the best restaurants in the world, it still surprises me what titillates ones palette.
Thank you VLOCT. I wish I was born in the '60s and the '70s. Our best times are past us now, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shch View Post
Hi Suhas, Great stuff. I was in a dilemma whether to reach Goa via BLR->Shimoga->Honnawar route or take the BLR->Hubli->Ankola route. Now, I am more convinced to take the route you have taken.

Google maps shows the Hubli -> Ankola road as NH 63. You have mentioned it as a SH. Is it the same route or was it a different route?

I know you are a fan of Goa. How do you compare Gokarna with Goa? ;-) Or is it not worth comparing?
Shch,

The Shimoga-Honnawar route, I'm told, isn't very great. We'd taken that route on our earlier drive, and we were forced to take the road in 2nd and 3rd gears due to the innumerable pot-holes and undulations. It's an uncomfortable ride. but I'm not sure of the road's present condition. You're right, it's not NH63, it's SH63, my bad! And SH63 is a good road. I suggest you take that, instead of the Shimoga-Honnawar route!

Gokarna is like a mini Goa. It's a lot less commercial, and the culture is so much more, IMO. But Goa has a special place in my heart. i will always recommend Goa. Gokarna is not bad too, if you want to try something different. I recommend you stay in one of the shacks on Kudle beach, if you go with friends. They're dirt cheap and the beach is clean and lots of fun too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
An excellent travelogue Suhaas. I was waiting for the weekend to read through completely. Never been to Goa, but this is an inspiration to do a drive from Kerala to Goa in my next visit! Good going
Thank you vb-san! Do take the time off to finish it, and let me know what you think then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
Nice travelogue , beautiful pictures , great narration . It reminds me of our last Goa visit..

..South Goa is relaxed , less crowded ,beautiful beach ( Uttroda is a must visit ) where as North goa has all the action , the actual crowd which comes to Goa ( Anjuna, Callangunte , Baaga )
Thank you so much Ranga! It's good to see several BHPians go to Goa on a regular basis!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th October 2011 at 14:22.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 22:15   #74
BHPian

Great narration and a great travelogue Suhaas!
The towels and the windmills were fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Sounds like a great plan. For sure, I'm in.
Add me too
ir458 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 11:56   #75
BHPian

What a comprehensive travelouge!!

I just wasted 2 hrs of my productivity at work, Suhaas!

Its been an year since I went to Goa and this brought all memories back!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks