Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2011, 17:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yatra Sri Hemkunt Sahib 2011

Thanks for starting this thread Iqbal Veerji. I for one am a great advocate for tourism in India and think that we have one of the most picturesque locations and driveways.

I have been to Shri Hemkunt Sahib driving from Delhi on a few occasions but since the last few times, something or the other has been creeping up, keeping me away. I guess when the "Bulawa" comes i will be beckoned.

We do this trip in 6 days, starting from Delhi at around 3:00-3:30 am from Delhi and rspending the night in either Shrinagar or Auli, reaching Govind Ghat by 8:00ish am to immediately start the trek/Yatra towards Govind Dham, where we spend another night and before the crack of dawn are bound towards Shri Hemkunt Sahib to reach there and be back before midday, as the oxygen levels drop down drastically. I know this as i have had altitude sickness every time i went.

Not many people are aware, that situated right adjacent to the Gurudwara is a Temple, Shri Laxman Mandir. It is believed that Shri Lakshman, the younger brother of Shri Ram, meditated by the lake and regained his health after being severely wounded by Meghnath, son of the demon Ravana, during battle.

At an altitude of 4,329 metres/approx 15,200 ft, these are the highest temples in India and is a trekkers dream come true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Thanks you Veerji for fufilling my wish. The Rishikesh Darbar sahib has resemblance to Hemkunt Sahib's main structure. Its simply awesome.

For those who cannot read punjabi.
The brass plaque reads (Last pic)
"The footmarks of blue horse of Tenth Guru are below" (In the glass enclosure).

& the main white gate reads (3rd pic)
"Gurudwara Bhatta Sahib 10th Guru" Kotla Nihang (Ropar)
The huge oven where bricks are baked is called "Bhatta".

Iqbal Veerji can you tell us about history of this Gurudwara?

Raab Rakha.
Sonu the history of Shri Bhatta Sahib is as follows;
The 10th Guru, Shri Guru Gobind Singhji was passing this place on his way back to Anandpur after winning the battle of Bhangani. It is said that he wanted his army to rest a while, he enquired from some local people if there was any place where he and his followers could spend the night. The labourers working at the Bhatta (Bhatti or Kiln), not realizing whom they were speaking to, pointed towards the burning Kiln.
It is said that Guruji smiled and proceeded to trot atop his horse towards the Bhatta. As soon as his horse of Guru stepped on the burning kiln it instantly became cold.

Chaudhary Nihang Khan the Pathan owner of the Bhatta was at that time resting at his quarters when he was informed about this event. He rushed to the Bhatta and to his astonishment saw Guru Gobind singh Ji sitting on the Bhatta. Chaudhary realized that this was no ordinary being and thus bowed his head in front of the Guru and asked for pardon. The Pathan became a close friend and follower of Guruji and till his last days, Guruji visited him and also handed him his personal weapons for care take.

So the place came to be called "Bhatta Sahib"

Yatra Sri Hemkunt Sahib 2011-shri-bhatta-sahib-history.jpg

I would love to visit Shri Hemkunt Sahib again. Maybe next year, God willing!!
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 11:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

I would love to visit Shri Hemkunt Sahib again. Maybe next year, God willing!!
Thanks Gogiji,
In fact Iqbal Veerji had informed me well in advance this year but an unfortunate demise in family happend exactly in the dates of Yatra.

"Jad tak usdi raza nahin, ek pata wee nahi heel sakda"

Hope & pray that Guru Saheb calls us next year.

Raab Rakha.
Old 4th June 2012, 21:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

The gates of Holy Shrine Sri Hemkunt Sahib Ji,were opened on 1st JUNE 2012,after 7 months.These seven months this shrine is covered deeply with snow.The LIVE telecast of the shrine is aired on MH1 ,from 10 am to 1 pm daily.I shall be visiting it in the month of september

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 4th June 2012 at 21:55.
Old 8th June 2012, 17:07   #19
BHPian

Iqbal Veerji, thanks som much for this great note. I am planning to visit Valley of Flowers and Hemkund in August 2012, so I guess you can help me with valuable information on the journey :

1. Can we get accomodation in Ghangharia in mid-August without a booking ? The GMVN website shows no vacancies.
2. Is the risk of rain too high in mid-August ? I heard it even snowed in Hemkund in August last year.
3. What are your suggestions and tips for us to make this trip in mid-August ?

Thanks !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks