Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2011, 09:04   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Short trip from Calcutta to Rajgir

Plan your accommodation in advance if one plans for a trip to Bodh-Gaya in winters. It stays packed in winters as foreign tourists flock Bodh-Gaya.

There are decent accommodation options and can be had for a bargain in summers.

@Rahul - Did you visit the Buddh museum hall (I can't recall its name) It had miniatures depicting history. It was beautiful. It was near a Buddhist temple where one always drums in a silent hall, was it Lumbini temple? Can't recall.

Gaya,save for the temple is best avoided. Foreigners might enjoy taking in the sights & sounds.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 17:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
Good trip report and nice pictures. A very good destination you have chosen, what was the total duration of your stay? Did you book the hotels in advance?
Arindam, I covered the trip in five days and four nights. But you may cover all these places in three nights and four days flat. That is, you should possibly be able to return back at Calcutta on the afternoon of the fourth day. And for advance booking of hotels you may contact Bihar state tourism development corporation's office at Camac Street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
There are decent accommodation options and can be had for a bargain in summers.
Did you visit the Buddh museum hall (I can't recall its name) It had miniatures depicting history.
Gaya,save for the temple is best avoided. Foreigners might enjoy taking in the sights & sounds.
Sheel, you should admit that some places in Bihar may be very hot during summer, so travelling with family may not be a good idea at that time.
And am sorry to tell you that I did not see the Buddh museum at Bodhgaya. But I did visit the Nalanda museum. It is a must see for all travelers, very beautifully laid with wonderful exhibits.
Yes, I also avoided Gaya town. Just after crossing the bridge and within a hundred meter of entering Gaya town, there was a road on my left, which took me to Bodhgaya. The road was also decent but had too many speed breakers and was full of auto-rickshaws.

Last edited by rahul4640 : 19th November 2011 at 18:00. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 19th November 2011, 21:30   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Sheel, you should admit that some places in Bihar may be very hot during summer, so travelling with family may not be a good idea at that time.
Indeed. My part is comparatively quite cooler, but this summer, we saw the worst humidity levels :(
Quote:
Just after crossing the bridge and within a hundred meter of entering Gaya town, there was a road on my left, which took me to Bodhgaya. The road was also decent but had too many speed breakers and was full of auto-rickshaws.
There are two routes. In one you cross the air-port and the other one is via insides, it goes straight to the temple in Bodh-Gaya to Gaya temple. Distance is albeit the same ~18kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks