Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2011, 23:08   #16
BHPian

Re: How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r

Hello Dhanush.

A lovely write up, like Others I am waiting for the next leg of the journey after Pune.

1) In the First pic of the JEEP it had the stock wheels, and on the other one its the NEW Alloy wheels and Tyres. This should have been replaced in Mumbai. What is the over all price for the set of wheels and Tyres.

2) Any particular reason that you took the coastal route to Bathery.
Old 9th November 2011, 11:15   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan_v_k View Post
1) In the First pic of the JEEP it had the stock wheels, and on the other one its the NEW Alloy wheels and Tyres. This should have been replaced in Mumbai. What is the over all price for the set of wheels and Tyres.
Thanks Roshan, Yes, I got the alloys from Mumbai. Lets just say that I got the tyres at a very competitive price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan_v_k View Post
2) Any particular reason that you took the coastal route to Bathery.
You mean, I didn't take the coastal route?. Well, I heard and read that NH4 was better, hence the decision.
Old 9th November 2011, 13:55   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

With some concerns about the top speed of the vehicle, we continue our journey along the NH4, and pass along many towns which were/are little familiar. By now, we have already passed a couple of more toll booths. Well, as the roads are just fine and we are saving a lot of time, we have nothing to complain.

Another good thing about the NH4 is that, the road is not plain boring, and is somewhat picturesque. As a passenger, you don't really get bored.

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-32.jpg

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-33.jpg

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-34.jpg
Old 9th November 2011, 14:13   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Soon.. another one of those ghat sections come, and we start climbing. I don't really remember the name of the place, but it was b-e-a-utiful!. The best thing about these winding roads was that, these were ONE-WAY!!.. Now.. if there was one moment in the trip where I missed my IKON, then this was it!.

Winding up-hill ghats, super roads, and most importantly, its a ONE-WAY!. You can throw your car along any side of the road!. Like a memory re-cap, I hold tight the steering of my Jeep and push the throttle right to the metal.. Well... very unlike the IKON, nothing happens! The speedo shows 30 and sometimes 40!!.. . Not sure if it was cos all of this enthusiasm shown, and to add to the frustration, the damn temperature needle again shoots right up to 100, and we stop.. for the 3rd(?) time.

But then.. after getting out of the vehicle, we felt that that this was a well-needed stop, and we stretch ourselves. Also for the 1st time in this trip, I see the Jeep from outside, and wish it was my Ford, and not the Jeep. Also, this resulted in a slight frustration and hence no-pics of the Jeep. We only snapped ourselves.

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-37.jpg

The winding up-hill roads:
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-35.jpg

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-36.jpg

Discussing whether or not we will reach Goa. Also, plans of staying at our friends place in Belgaum is considered.
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-38.jpg
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 14:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Your progress is slow!!
Just like your jeep that is not able to pick up speed, your travelogue also is exhibiting the same traits!! (spare me for this )

For the tyres, your diplomatic answer compels me to probe further .
Really, curious to know what the price you got it for and was it through some contact? The tyres are new and a lip smacking price for those would have been godsend.
PM me ,if you wish, on those details or else skip it.
OT : what happened to the FFE plan for the Ikon? You said you'll get back on that!!
Old 9th November 2011, 14:34   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Your progress is slow!!
Just like your jeep that is not able to pick up speed, your travelogue also is exhibiting the same traits!! (spare me for this )
Well.. Manish. This was the exact emotion when I was climbing the ghats, and looked at my watch!. The feeling of wanting for more, but just not able to get it.

Glad that I was able to convey it so correctly.

P.S - Don't worry, things really sped up after this stop, and I hope the travelogue will also.
Old 9th November 2011, 15:45   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice TL @dhanushs! The only thing I miss out here are pics of your jeep at the various locations. Considering the numerous stops you guys did, a few pics would have been good!

And as for the speed of posts, I know the effort one requires to write a TL
Do continue with the rest of your story!
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 16:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Soon.. another one of those ghat sections come, and we start climbing. I don't really remember the name of the place, but it was b-e-a-utiful!. The best thing about these winding roads was that, these were ONE-WAY!!..
That is Khambataki ghat between pune and satara.

Nice write-up.
waiting for more.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 17:08   #24
Team-BHP Support

Interesting read Dhanush, I can relate to this very much. I took delivery of my Jeep at 7:30AM and right away drove 400+ kms with my wife riding shotgun. Took 13 hours cover it. Had multiple heating problems, filled radiator in between, heavy rains in the Shiradi ghats, it was an unforgettable experience. And it was the second time I was driving a Jeep.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 18:38   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Dhanushs - wow, now that's one good experience you shall never forget. By the time you reach Kerala, you will master most of the MM540s idiosyncracies! Best of luck. Drive safe.

- hey, a thought just struck me, imagine if you had the Thar, you would have reached Kerala by now even if you were towing your MM540 behind it! I have towed another hard top vehicle behind my MH01V521 @ 100 kmph for 400 kms. . That's where the difference is!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 19:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hey Dhanush,

Thanks for sharing your adventure with the Jeep. NH4 definitely looks lovely after rains. Waiting for the ramaining part of your adventure. Keep it coming.....even if it is slow.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 20:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Got a PM saying 'you have been quoted' but couldn't find the thread. Then forgot all about it. Chanced upon it today.

Great beginning.

May this be the start of a beautiful, tempestuous, friendship! (That too is a Jeep thing!)

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 12:11   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

After the stop, immediately downhill comes, and the temperature comes down to below 80. We make a mental note, not to make any stops unnecessarily and proceed... with a decent speed.

The trip further was rather uneventful, and we just keep driving, enjoying the good roads and lush scenery. Somehow, manage to keep the speedo at 70 and pass (by-pass?) on many towns like Bhuinj, Panmalewadi, Satara, Kashil, Karad etc.. Not sure if it was cos of the recent monsoons, NH4 was green and fresh and we weren't feeling a bit tired.

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-40.jpg

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-44.jpg

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-42.jpg

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-43.jpg

Also, surprisingly, after the up-hill stop, we managed to move really fast on our GPS, and were edging towards Kolapur by about 5:00PM (I think). The only time when we slowed down was when we got our first rain.

Lucky that I changed the wiper blades before leaving. But still.. the wiping was strictly average.

Our First Rain:
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-45.jpg
Old 10th November 2011, 12:19   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Evening was nearing, and even though the damn speedo and odo was still stuck.. like.. in the 60's and 70's, I think we made a good progress, as WE (the dot) has moved a lot in the GPS.

We approach another toll plaza.
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-39.jpg

It was when we were nearing a toll plaza somewhere near Kholapur, my friend, who was keeping the expenses mentioned a fact. The toll we paid along the NH4 totals to about 496 bucks!!.. . Dang.. that's about a rupee for every kilometer!. So, next time.. my dear bhp'ns when you see really good roads, and some super tunnels, make a mental note to keep a separate budget just for the toll's!
Old 10th November 2011, 12:20   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
After the stop, immediately downhill comes, and the temperature comes down to below 80. We make a mental note, not to make any stops unnecessarily and proceed... with a decent speed.
Congrats on the Jeep. The travelogue is exciting especially considering the uncertainty involved in the Jeep's condition.

And yes, the Nh4 becomes really beautiful and after the monsoons. But during monsoons it becomes frustrating because it rains almost through out the entire stretch and one cannot enjoy the greenery and scenery outside. I think just after monsoons is the best time to drive around NH4
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed