Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2011, 18:07   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Its goan marketing technique!!!
Ha..ha.. So, just as I suspected, this is a regular affair. Will watch out next time!.

Quote:
..could not resist those long girly ''pleaaaaaasse'' and ended evaporating Rs 300 only...
Well, this girl didn't really make any attempt to see the items. No please, nothing. She was just sobbing.

If there was this pleaaassseee, then we(he) would've right away seen through, I guess.. But, in any case, damage is done. Should (will) watch out next time!
Old 17th November 2011, 11:59   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r

October 28th: Goa

Its 6:00AM in the morning, and the alarm goes off. Reluctantly, we get up.

By Gods grace, everything on the work front gets sorted out in a couple of hours and by 11:00AM we are free. Now.. this additional time makes us plan some more of Goa... The Aguada Fort.

When compared to the Chapora Fort, Aguada is much better, and there is atleast something to see.
Quote:
The fort was constructed in 1612 to guard against the Dutch and the Marathas. It was a reference point for the vessels coming from Europe at that time. This old Portuguese fort stands on the beach south of Candolim, at the shore of the Mandovi river. It was initially tasked with defense of shipping and the nearby Bardez District.
Source: Wikipedia.

Now for why we chose to see the Aguada Fort. Well.. honestly, I dont know. Somehow, the plan came up.

The Way:
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-90.jpg

The view from the Fort. Its always new to see the Sea!:
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-91.jpg

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-92.jpg

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-93.jpg

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-94.jpg

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-97.jpg

The Fort:
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-95.jpg

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-96.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 19th November 2011 at 14:45. Reason: Thanks for reporting. As per the RP
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 23:07   #63
BHPian

Wonderful travelogue Dhanush. I too can relate to your predicament being a fellow 540 owner!! Nice to see that you visited a few forts too. I have a request. Any pics of your Jeep on the beach??
madhkris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 00:36   #64
Senior - BHPian

Dhanush,
wonderful to see some one drive MM540 in plain roads for a change. un usual choice of machines when roads invite you to do 120+ kmph.

Your vehicle has lot of charcter with that hard top and wheels. Do not convert it to 4wd if you plan to stick to road. MM540 2wd is also immensely enjoyable.

THAR though expensive is a good platform to do what you have done much more effortlessly.

All the best- keep travelling!!
vinod_nookala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 09:52   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Vinod - Sirjee, paay laagu! Since when did you start advocating "2WD"? Do I sense a shift of strategy? Finally? HaHaHa.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 25th November 2011, 10:18   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Once again, got really stuck up with work and family, hence couldn't continue my humble travelogue. Sorry to keep fellow bhp'ns waiting!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aguada Fort was good, but I guess the best time to visit is in the early morning and not in the scorching sun. However, as our minds were free and relaxed, we spend some time and grasp the essence of the place. Finally, the sun directly above our heads make us say adieu to Aguada Fort.

According to our initial plans we leave Goa only on 29th Oct, and reach Kerala on the same day. But, the catch was that even though the distance between Mumbai - Goa and Goa - Kerala was almost the same, the roads from Goa to Kerala weren't in a good shape, and in a JEEP, one should expect at-least double the time. So, plans change and we decide to leave Goa today, and target Mangalore by night.
Old 25th November 2011, 10:39   #67
Senior - BHPian

@dhanushs - First congrats on the Jeep and thanks for sharing the details of the wonderful trip. I remembered the days when i used to travel in my freinds Jeep to college.

And by the way where is the snap of your freind sitting at the exact same spot as Aamir Khan
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 10:41   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Target for the day: Mangalore.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 1355
Size:  102.1 KB

Its been ~2 good days in Goa, and right now, its hot and stuffy. We were not really in a good mood to travel loonng, but we still decide to move on to Mangalore. The plus was that the Jeep wasn't giving any troubles and we get to reach home early.

So:

Radiator Water: Check
Oil: Check
Unusual leaks: No
Headlights: Check
Wipers: Not worth mentioning
Brakes: Working fine and nothing to visibly check.
Nuts and Bolts: Look good.
Diesel: Topped up
A quick look at the under-body: Everything looks fine (umm.. what was I supposed to see? )

Well, the only thing we had to DO was to make sure the spare was tied up good, and would handle the bad roads, still being on top.

Mony tying up the spare with some additional rope.
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-98.jpg

And.. we are good to GO!!..
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-99.jpg
Old 25th November 2011, 11:08   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Wonderful travelogue Dhanush...
...Any pics of your Jeep on the beach??
Thanks madhkris. Well, no pics with Jeep on the beach. I had intended to, but didn't get a chance or rather, I didn't know if there were any drive in beaches in Goa?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
usual choice of machines when roads invite you to do 120+ kmph.

Quote:
Your vehicle has lot of charcter with that hard top and wheels. Do not convert it to 4wd if you plan to stick to road. MM540 2wd is also immensely enjoyable.
Thanks Vinod. But, 4x4 conversion is definitely on cards. Reason being that my 540 is also intended to full-fill my new found passion as much as its intended to be a daily drive.
Quote:
THAR though expensive is a good platform to do what you have done much more effortlessly.
True. Fit in an AC and you are good to go places!!.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
congrats on the Jeep..
And by the way where is the snap of your freind sitting at the exact same spot as Aamir Khan..
Thanks Amit. Well.. The funny part was that the Chapora was sooo boring enough to make him lose interest!. lol!.
Old 25th November 2011, 13:36   #70
Senior - BHPian

Dhanushs,

Went through your travelogue page by page and enjoyed it immensly. The progressive narration and photographs compliment your journey.

What most people would take this just as another 1500km journey, you have turned it into a beautiful experience and shared it with us. It will be a part of you always.

The Jeeps (more pics of the it through its passage, please) looks tough, resembling a Land Rover with the spare on the top and it definitely proved itself.

Special mention to the three spectacular seascapes on the last page, very well composed and perfectly exposed.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 17:04   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Mangalore looks faarr away, but the roads in and around Goa are good, and it was soothing for us. We move along the NH 17 (A) which was surprisingly not a toll road, but very good. After which the NH17 too is really nice in Goa, and is also scenic.

The sun was hot, and we were glad that there were lot of greenery around us to travel.

Roads in Goa:
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-101.jpg

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-102.jpg

IMO, Goa is a lazy place and when in there, one just wishes to laze around. This was clearly reflecting in us, and we started finding excuses to take a break. Well.. it was well after-noon, and what more does one need, than a good heavy lunch. We stop at a seemingly good hotel somewhere around the Goa border.

Strangely, the only priority for the three of us was to have some real good food!. Even the discussions revolved around how good the sea food was around these places, and we all were drooling thinking about the food that we were about to have.

Funnily enough, as it happens sometimes, the only attractive item in their menu was Fish Thaali. All the rest were the normal crappy Chinese or tandoori ones, which we weren't really interested in. So, we ordered two fish thaali's for Anjith and Mony and one rice and chicken curry for me.

Now....

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-103.jpg

We calmly eat and get out of the hotel!!..
Old 25th November 2011, 20:10   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Funnily enough, as it happens sometimes, the only attractive item in their menu was Fish Thaali. All the rest were the normal crappy Chinese or tandoori ones, which we weren't really interested in. So, we ordered two fish thaali's for Anjith and Mony and one rice and chicken curry for me.

We calmly eat and get out of the hotel!!..
Well they were actually accurate if you come to think of it Fish Thali = A Fish on A Thali

Nice travel log there, makes me sit up and think of the jeeps as well , but not fair very less pics of the jeep till now.
Old 26th November 2011, 16:16   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Special mention to the three spectacular seascapes on the last page, very well composed and perfectly exposed.
Thanks Fazal Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Nice travel log there, makes me sit up and think of the jeeps as well
Thanks motomaverick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
but not fair very less pics of the jeep till now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
more pics of the it through its passage, please
I've tried to capture as many pics of the Jeep. Will definitely prioritize and share it!!.. After all we all are here for one common passion!.
Old 26th November 2011, 16:37   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

After the "amazing" fish thaali, we set sail again. This time more determined than ever to reach Mangalore on the same day!. Well, even though the Food was not (at all) up to our expectations, the cool location of the hotel, and the time spent there was really relaxing and we start fresh!.

We set sail again!
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-104.jpg

The good roads and the surrounding greenery makes you go on.. and on..

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-107.jpg
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-105.jpg

... we pass some small towns... but but we dont really notice deeply.. we move on..
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-106.jpg

About 800kms done.. and still rolling without a problem!
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-108.jpg
Old 28th November 2011, 10:10   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

After a while.. we take another break..

Now.. this: is where a Jeep takes a break!!.. Well, I agree it was not safe to venture into unknown territories, but a few hundred meters off the road wont hurt.. will it?

Some distance safely off the road.

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-109.jpg

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-110.jpg

Most Viewed