Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2006, 15:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Weekend Travelogue: Bangalore to Horsley Hills

Horsley Hills Trip (4th – 5th March, 2006)

Bangalore – Hoskote – Chintamani – Madanapalle – HH – Madanapalle – Srinivaspura – Kolar – Hoskote - Bangalore

Members: Me and wife, Sukanta and wife in my Alto LXi

It was already a fortnight that I bought my new car and I was not able to control the temptation to take it to highway. Since the first servicing is yet to be done I didn’t want to take it at high speeds and longer distance. I decided a new destination and just 150 odd kms from Bangalore – Horseley Hills in Andhra Pradesh. This was a new route to explore. Sukanta and his wife joined us in my car’s maiden trip.

Although my plan was to start early morning on 4th march but the plan soon changed in the last moment as Sukanta’ team had to work on Saturday to makeup for a 4 day holiday in holi. Anyway we decided to start by 3:30 PM

We reached Sukanta’s house in Cox Town by 3PM and started the journey by 3:30 PM according to plan. We took the outer ring and proceeded towards KR Puram cable-stayed bridge. This road is popularly known as Old Madras Road (or simply NH4). The traffic in the evening was heavy but there was no jam. All vehicles were doing 40-50kmph in a line constantly. NH4 is a beautiful highway, smooth and organized.

We reached Hoskote in half an hour. There is a diversion in the left from Hoskote that goes to Chintamani, which is about 50km from there. The road was not smooth but still we were maintaining 50kmph. Little did I realize what is in store later.

About 55km from Bangalore and about 20km before Chintamani, I had a flat tyre. How can that happen? We were always cruising on smooth roads. How cans a new radial tyre flat out? Well, I had to face the reality. By God’s grace it happened exactly in front of a puncture shop. The guy opened the wheel to fix the puncture. I was very much eager to know, how? The reason is very funny. During factory setup of the wheel, the manufacturer by mistake, left an air-nozzle-cap in one of the wheels. As I was driving smaller distances till now, nothing happened. Now since due to constant driving, the tyre got heated up and tube expanded causing the cap to rupture the tube. I thought my first test ride is really giving me results. Well, a small plastic cap under pressure became so powerful to rupture a strong tube. A small mistake by the maruti fellow gave so much agony.

Anyway, we should move on but unfortunately our plan of reaching Horseley Hills by sunset got failed. We lost more than an hour in this process and it was already 5:30 PM then and we have to travel another 120 odd km on a state highway that is not so conducive for speeding. I was really upset, as another night drive through small roads and hills was evident. Looks like this small trip is turning out to be an adventure. We reached Chintamani just at sunset and proceeded towards Madanapalle. Thanks to Sukanta boudi, we didn’t have to stop for any food. We all had nice egg-cutlet, paneer rolls, puri-sabji all while driving. Paramita did a good job feeding me with the delicious stuffs while I was busy spotting a possible pothole.

After Chintamani roads were smooth but there are sudden potholes which come from nowhere. I was just not able to push the pedal beyond 50kmph fearing a sudden pothole. Believe me, those were not potholes those were graveyard. On a couple of occasion I had stop my car too. Only my headlights were the only lights that were visible. No villages, only fields and trees adjacent to the road.

At about 8:15PM, we reached the AP border check post and were stopped by the police for a regulatory check. This cop was another crazy fellow. He told why you are going in the night. While climbing the hills, please pull up your car windows as you might see tigers. I didn’t care to his words by Paramita got scared. I calm her down and proceeded.

Now we are in AP. Smooth roads and the next 10 km to Madanapalle took hardly 10min. BTW, this was SH82 that ends in Madanapalle. We took left from the T-junction, which was NH205 to Anantapur. Time was already 8:30PM and it was very dark.

After about 10km there is a left turn towards the hill climb. It was very dark and scary but I was enjoying the forest drive. Not sure about my wife though! Soon, the gear came down to 2nd and it was a nice 8km climb with about 5-6 hairpin bends. It was another thrill of riding up the hill at night in pitch darkness where my car’s headlight was the only source of vision. We were in Horseley hills by 9:10PM. Checked into the beautiful Punnami Hill Resort of AP Tourism.

The Resort was huge and very well maintained. The resort is really breathtaking and spending a night there is must. It was cheap as well. We liked the weather and nice whispering breeze. We ate a nice dinner and retired to bed by midnight.

We got up at around 6AM; saw a beautiful sunrise, made a stroll around the resort campus, along with the photo session. We had a nice breakfast in the resort restaurant of idlis, puris chai etc and went for another stroll to visit the Valley view point on top of the hill which is part of the resort as well. It has a great view of the valley and majestic scenaries of the mountains.

The swimming pool of the resort was another worth mentioning. Sukanta and myself went for a swim at noon and enjoyed a nice time in water.

We started our return journey at 2 PM. This time I wanted to try out another route not the potholed route via Chintamani. We took a left turn about 15km before Chintamani to Srinivaspura. The roads was OK but not potholed. We could easily do 40kmph. From Srinivaspura to Kolar the roads improved and so was our drive.

We reached Kolar at 4:15PM and took a right turn to the beautiful NH4. Now we started crushing at 80kmph. Within no time we were in Kamat Upachar on NH4. We had nice break and relished tea and masala dosas. After a nice break of 40min we headed back to Bangalore and reached house by 6:30PM.

Tripmeter reading 330 kms. Fuel meter is at half. I guess 18 – 19 Lit of petrol must have been consumed. Looks a decent average considering the car is within first service.

Signing off
Abhijit Kumar Roy
Old 7th March 2006, 15:25   #2
Team-BHP Support

Great report, very detailed with easy to follow directions. But, what's a travelogue without photos? Please post the photos.

Who is Sukanta, is he a member here?
Old 7th March 2006, 15:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Samurai,

No No, he is not a member but a friend of mine.

Well, I am not able to paste the pics as you did in your travelogues.

Anyway for the pics, pls visit:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-qe45m2

-- Abhi
Old 7th March 2006, 15:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy
Well, I am not able to paste the pics as you did in your travelogues.
Hi Abhi, read below for guidance on how to post pics on Team BHP
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html

Good trip review, by the way!
Old 7th March 2006, 17:36   #5
cnu
BHPian

Excellent report and great narration Abhi.

Are you aware of any other attractions around apart from the Valley view point ?

Cheers
Old 7th March 2006, 20:24   #6
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Hi!
there is not much around this place. but if one is interested they can go to rishi valley school .this is beofre madanapalle between chintamani and madanapalle. this school was strted by Jiddu Krishnamurti, the phiolosopher.
otherwise one can proceed to tirupati via chandragiri( u can see the fort at chandragiri) then srinivasa mangapuram ( one has to take left turn after or within chandragiri to reach here) form there tirupati is 15 KM. then u have srikalahasti temple form tirupati(45-50KM) it a beuty architecture wise)
Old 6th April 2006, 13:10   #7
BHPian

Weekend drive to Horsley Hills and Kalyanrev forest

@Akroy - after reading your travelogue, I headed out on the Ugadi weekend to Horsley Hills & beyond. Here's a brief report and pics

Me and Wife in Safari Dicor. Started 1030am Thursday.
Took the Hoskote-Kolar-Srinivaspura-Madanepalle-HH route.
Your driving directions were spot-on and helped navigate. Only one correction: Madanepalle-HH is 15-16KM..
Spent 2 nights at Punnami resort.. beautiful place.. Good food. Will advise visitors to take rooms at the Governers Bungalow. 2 categories - Rs 875 and Rs 1150.. There is a caretaker, Prakash, there who takes very good care of you, beats 5-star service.
Also, got a Kerala ayurvedic massage done.. Good. Its for males only as of now.

Now here is the interesting part:
After 2 days at HH, went in search of Kaundinya wildlife sanctuary, 85km away, mentioned in the AP tourism brochure. Was told it is near Palamner. Went there, nobody knew about it!! Anyway, went into a small village 35 KM towards Krishnagiri. Managed to get hold of an elephant tracker, sat him in the car and entered the Kalyanrev forest. Had to cross an electrified fence meant to keep animals in by lifting the wires with a stick and driving under them !!

Here the Dicor came into its element.. Engaged 4WD low gear and went over terrain I couldnt have dreamed of driving in.. Here are a few pics..

The roads less travelled..

One of the places (a waterhole) where we tried to track animals..

The Tracker and me..

The Car and The Wife

Spent 5-6 hours and 40-50 km in the forest trying to track animals, but it was mid-afternoon and they were supposed to be asleep!! No problem, will be going back soon . Came out of the forest at 4PM and headed back to Blr.

All in all, an excellent trip. The Dicor has come back with lots of scratches on the sides from thorns and bushes where the car was too wide for the gap. But I dont mind it. It looks like its been doing the stuff it was made to do.

Last edited by nitinbhag : 6th April 2006 at 13:11.
Old 6th April 2006, 13:32   #8
BHPian

Did you hear/see about tigers from the locals?

Last edited by Neel : 6th April 2006 at 13:35.
Old 6th April 2006, 13:47   #9
BHPian

The tracker said that there are supposed to be tigers, but its been 8 years since he has seen one...
Old 7th April 2006, 16:10   #10
BHPian

Hi nitinbhag vbmenu_register("postmenu_204926", true); ,

Excellent weekend drive... iam travelling to wayanad next weekend..maybe the next weekend after tht i will definitely try this place...
Do we need to book the resort before in hand, if so how do we book it....surfed the net couldnot find info on the punnami resort
Old 7th April 2006, 19:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Oye nitin you're looking younger in your photographs....whats up???

Give those plastic claddings a coat of MRF Clear - the glossy grey will go well with your gold.
Old 8th April 2006, 18:54   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharu
Do we need to book the resort before in hand, if so how do we book it....surfed the net couldnot find info on the punnami resort
You can book it through the AP Tourism offices.. Punnami is run by APTDC..

http://www.aptourism.in/contactus.html
Old 27th April 2006, 15:11   #13

Hi Abhijit,

We r planning for this week end to Horsely,can you please advice if there are any other places of stay other than Punnami resort('coz it is fully booked). Also tell me how's the climate out there.
-----------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy
Horsley Hills Trip (4th – 5th March, 2006)

Bangalore – Hoskote – Chintamani – Madanapalle – HH – Madanapalle – Srinivaspura – Kolar – Hoskote - Bangalore

Members: Me and wife, Sukanta and wife in my Alto LXi

It was already a fortnight that I bought my new car and I was not able to control the temptation to take it to highway. Since the first servicing is yet to be done I didn’t want to take it at high speeds and longer distance. I decided a new destination and just 150 odd kms from Bangalore – Horseley Hills in Andhra Pradesh. This was a new route to explore. Sukanta and his wife joined us in my car’s maiden trip.

Although my plan was to start early morning on 4th march but the plan soon changed in the last moment as Sukanta’ team had to work on Saturday to makeup for a 4 day holiday in holi. Anyway we decided to start by 3:30 PM

We reached Sukanta’s house in Cox Town by 3PM and started the journey by 3:30 PM according to plan. We took the outer ring and proceeded towards KR Puram cable-stayed bridge. This road is popularly known as Old Madras Road (or simply NH4). The traffic in the evening was heavy but there was no jam. All vehicles were doing 40-50kmph in a line constantly. NH4 is a beautiful highway, smooth and organized.

We reached Hoskote in half an hour. There is a diversion in the left from Hoskote that goes to Chintamani, which is about 50km from there. The road was not smooth but still we were maintaining 50kmph. Little did I realize what is in store later.

About 55km from Bangalore and about 20km before Chintamani, I had a flat tyre. How can that happen? We were always cruising on smooth roads. How cans a new radial tyre flat out? Well, I had to face the reality. By God’s grace it happened exactly in front of a puncture shop. The guy opened the wheel to fix the puncture. I was very much eager to know, how? The reason is very funny. During factory setup of the wheel, the manufacturer by mistake, left an air-nozzle-cap in one of the wheels. As I was driving smaller distances till now, nothing happened. Now since due to constant driving, the tyre got heated up and tube expanded causing the cap to rupture the tube. I thought my first test ride is really giving me results. Well, a small plastic cap under pressure became so powerful to rupture a strong tube. A small mistake by the maruti fellow gave so much agony.

Anyway, we should move on but unfortunately our plan of reaching Horseley Hills by sunset got failed. We lost more than an hour in this process and it was already 5:30 PM then and we have to travel another 120 odd km on a state highway that is not so conducive for speeding. I was really upset, as another night drive through small roads and hills was evident. Looks like this small trip is turning out to be an adventure. We reached Chintamani just at sunset and proceeded towards Madanapalle. Thanks to Sukanta boudi, we didn’t have to stop for any food. We all had nice egg-cutlet, paneer rolls, puri-sabji all while driving. Paramita did a good job feeding me with the delicious stuffs while I was busy spotting a possible pothole.

After Chintamani roads were smooth but there are sudden potholes which come from nowhere. I was just not able to push the pedal beyond 50kmph fearing a sudden pothole. Believe me, those were not potholes those were graveyard. On a couple of occasion I had stop my car too. Only my headlights were the only lights that were visible. No villages, only fields and trees adjacent to the road.

At about 8:15PM, we reached the AP border check post and were stopped by the police for a regulatory check. This cop was another crazy fellow. He told why you are going in the night. While climbing the hills, please pull up your car windows as you might see tigers. I didn’t care to his words by Paramita got scared. I calm her down and proceeded.

Now we are in AP. Smooth roads and the next 10 km to Madanapalle took hardly 10min. BTW, this was SH82 that ends in Madanapalle. We took left from the T-junction, which was NH205 to Anantapur. Time was already 8:30PM and it was very dark.

After about 10km there is a left turn towards the hill climb. It was very dark and scary but I was enjoying the forest drive. Not sure about my wife though! Soon, the gear came down to 2nd and it was a nice 8km climb with about 5-6 hairpin bends. It was another thrill of riding up the hill at night in pitch darkness where my car’s headlight was the only source of vision. We were in Horseley hills by 9:10PM. Checked into the beautiful Punnami Hill Resort of AP Tourism.

The Resort was huge and very well maintained. The resort is really breathtaking and spending a night there is must. It was cheap as well. We liked the weather and nice whispering breeze. We ate a nice dinner and retired to bed by midnight.

We got up at around 6AM; saw a beautiful sunrise, made a stroll around the resort campus, along with the photo session. We had a nice breakfast in the resort restaurant of idlis, puris chai etc and went for another stroll to visit the Valley view point on top of the hill which is part of the resort as well. It has a great view of the valley and majestic scenaries of the mountains.

The swimming pool of the resort was another worth mentioning. Sukanta and myself went for a swim at noon and enjoyed a nice time in water.

We started our return journey at 2 PM. This time I wanted to try out another route not the potholed route via Chintamani. We took a left turn about 15km before Chintamani to Srinivaspura. The roads was OK but not potholed. We could easily do 40kmph. From Srinivaspura to Kolar the roads improved and so was our drive.

We reached Kolar at 4:15PM and took a right turn to the beautiful NH4. Now we started crushing at 80kmph. Within no time we were in Kamat Upachar on NH4. We had nice break and relished tea and masala dosas. After a nice break of 40min we headed back to Bangalore and reached house by 6:30PM.

Tripmeter reading 330 kms. Fuel meter is at half. I guess 18 – 19 Lit of petrol must have been consumed. Looks a decent average considering the car is within first service.

Signing off
Abhijit Kumar Roy
Old 27th April 2006, 17:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Oye nitin you're looking younger in your photographs....whats up???
missed this earlier..
Steer, didnt you know?.. I am actually getting younger every passing month
Old 27th April 2006, 17:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanan
Hi Abhijit,
We r planning for this week end to Horsely,can you please advice if there are any other places of stay other than Punnami resort('coz it is fully booked). Also tell me how's the climate out there.
-----------------------------------
The only other place I saw at HH was a Forest Department guest house for which you need contacts in AP Govt.
Be wary of the crowds on the weekend..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks