Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2011, 09:59   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Karnal Desires! The Foodhunt on NH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Quite a drive! Maybe this is the thread to talk about more Mayurs and Pahalwans on this popular route out of Delhi.
Yes, I do hope this thread is further enriched by the contributions of other members on the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
This veg thing can be quite annoying - I remember promising my friends butter chicken on a drive between Chandigarh & DElhi and we could not find a single one that night!!
Oh yes - for folks like us who are committed non-vegetarians, it does become an issue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
I think Savoy Greens and Puran's do serve non-veg till late night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmonie View Post
If you venture a bit further up to Ambala there is the famous Puran Singh's Dhaba which has some good dhaba mutton offerings.
Now where exactly are these places? Could you please mark them on a map?
Old 8th November 2011, 11:22   #17
BHPian

Boy oh boy. You have started a topic very close to my heart.

Ever since i started my career in gurgaon 11 yrs back, I am regular on this NH1 stretch (Gurgaon to Kurukshetra, and occasionally up to Chandigarh). Initially it was weekly/fortnightly, but now as I settled in family, it is monthly. I have traveled both by bus and car. So I have experienced all kind of eateries and can go on writing about them till my key board gives up.

Initially I used to travel by Haryana roadways buses. They used to make stops at Smalkha or Gannaur bus stand. As a passenger I had to depend on small eateries in bus stand which are poor excuse of a dhaba. These guys have won exclusive annual contract from haryana roadways to run the shop. So they have monopoly on particular bus stand. And you know what happens when there is monopoly, poor hygiene, low quality food, high prices. On such places I survived only on packed items Chips/Biscuits/Soft drinks etc. One word for such places "Avoid".

As I progressed in career and made friends, I started traveling by car with them. Now we had liberty to stop anywhere. We explored almost all places on NH1. Few worth mentioning are

Gulshan Dhaba, murthal (very near to Pahalwan Dhaba) - This one along with Ahuja Dhaba were the one which started dhaba trend in Murthal. It is still one of the best dhabas in murthal in terms of food. They would put so much butter on your butter roti, that even a true punjabi mom won't be putting this much on her son's roti. Delicious. They have a large AC section as well, but prefer sitting in open space (what's the fun of dhaba, if you still dining in closed area)

Sukhdev Dhaba - It is around 5-10 kms from murthal on the way to Panipat. I think this is the busiest bhaba on NH1. If at anytime of the day you see less than 100 vehicles in parking, you can safely assume that it is not their peak business hour. Their business model is very different. They target the taxi segment. Every taxi driver who stops on this dhaba during both sides of his trip, gets cash amount (50-100 or more depending on passenger capacity of vehicle) apart from free meals. So it a huge hit with taxi operators. Expect to see lots of vehicles with yellow plates, specially ones from Punjab which are on the way to IGI Airport. But due to its massive scale, food quality is not what it should be.

Jhilmil Dhaba, Karnal - This is located opposite Savoy Greens and around 3-4kms from Mayur Dhaba (where you stopped) on the way to Ambala. Again very busy dhaba with good quality food. Though ambiance could be little better.

I think that's enough for now. May be some more details later on.

Last edited by kamboj : 8th November 2011 at 11:25. Reason: Corrected formatting.
kamboj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 11:25   #18
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I know - when else would you take your vRS out for its weekly lung-opener?

, Upto panipat is bliss to drive. while returning one has to be care full about speed guns. its a regular affair around Ganaur - Sonepath stretch.

Savoy & Jhilmil are 150 kms from Delhi. After crossing Karnal.
Puran is Ambala , one has to take the service road instead of the flyover.

Karnal Desires! The Foodhunt on NH1-savoy_green-jhilmil-dhaba.jpg

Last edited by v&v : 8th November 2011 at 11:28.
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 13:18   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Savoy...
Savoy Greens is where the McDonalds outlet is, isn't it? This is just after the cut for going to Karna Lake (half km), and doesn't serve up dhaba style food - have stopped here earlier, the prices are high and the menu (and quality) are not to my liking. The toilet amenities are really good though. Almost across the road from Savoy is Zhilmil Dhaba - got to give that one a try sometime!
Old 8th November 2011, 14:51   #20
kkg
BHPian

I drive regularly on this highway upto punjab. It is because of these dhabas that we take the liberty of travelling at night (with whole ofcourse). Jhilmil is the first stop where you can have paranthas all night long.

Sukhdev dhaba is our regular once in a two-three month dinner place. I stay in Rohini and this place provides both good food and good long drive to me. I remember once my wife wanted to have maagi at around 10 at night. We took our nano and went straight to Sukhdev, had maagi there and were back at 12. Not to mention the time we had during the drive.

If one is with relatives and family and wants to have a "formal" dinner, Haveli at Murthal is a good place. Also Pind Baluchi opposite to it is the only Pind baluchi which serves only veg food.
Old 8th November 2011, 14:57   #21
Mik
BHPian

Delicious thread.

Normally, i make atleast one run of this stretch every month of the year. We have tried Zhilmil, Gulshan, Ahuja, Chota pahalwan, Pahalwan and Sukhdev Dhaba among other non-descript places.
My favourite remains pahalwan dhaba with Zhilmil coming a close second. The fresh white makkhan in Pahalwan dhaba melts even the most stout dieter I don't like places where they give the amul/nutralite butter cakes. Desi is much better.
Old 8th November 2011, 15:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

If you are heading northwards i.e. towards Chandigarh:

"Famous Puran Singh's dhaba" is just outside of the Ambala Bus stop / diagonally opposite to Amabala Cantt railway station.
You have to take service road (DONT TAKE FLYOVER) & drive under the flyover to come to a criss-cross of roads where you can find many HR & CTU buses jostling to get back on the road from either side.
There are MANY outlets flashing Puran Singh's name but the one that is next to Bus stop is the ORIGNAL one. However the quality has gone down drasticly over the years so dont expect moon. Cleanliness is another BIGGGG question mark here.

Mayur & Jhilmil are your best bets NON-VEG bets on NH1.

Recommedation: Park you car at railway station parking & cross the road on foot.

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 8th November 2011 at 15:06.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 19:00   #23
J.Ravi

We had food at Sukhdev, Murthal, Neelkanth, Karnal and Haveli, Jalandhar on our recent Leh expedition. We will try Pahalwan Dhaba and other vegetarian eateries during our next trip on NH 1.

Old 8th November 2011, 19:21   #24
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Savoy Greens is where the McDonalds outlet is, isn't it? This is just after the cut for going to Karna Lake (half km), and doesn't serve up dhaba style food - have stopped here earlier, the prices are high and the menu (and quality) are not to my liking. The toilet amenities are really good though. Almost across the road from Savoy is Zhilmil Dhaba - got to give that one a try sometime!
Yes, it also has a drive in facility too (McD). Food court has Domino's, Subway, South , Chinese and North Indian options too.

Also Baskin & Robins, Costa and Frontier biscuits too if i remember correctly.

Only advantage here is, sometimes we 4 have totally different opinion about what to eat. So no deadlock

Last edited by v&v : 8th November 2011 at 19:30.
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 12:13   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Only advantage here is, sometimes we 4 have totally different opinion about what to eat. So no deadlock
Indeed - then you are limited in your choices between Savoy Greens and Haveli. Plus, both have kids' play areas IIRC.

Although the Haryana Tourism Whistling Teal Restaurant at Karna Lake is a little off the highway (less than 1 km), methinks the food quality there is not bad at all - and the prices are reasonable. Added bonus is clean loos, plus the view of the lake from the windows of the restaurant.
Old 10th November 2011, 22:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

No fair sirjee.

All that talk of butter chicken, and no details here? Just one photo and thats it? Even the haajmi chooran got more footage.

Please, 1 post dedicated to the (presumably) delicious bird. Worth the trip, or not so much?
Old 10th November 2011, 22:55   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
All that talk of butter chicken, and no details here?
Please, 1 post dedicated to the (presumably) delicious bird. Worth the trip, or not so much?
Naah, who has the time to take too many pics of the butter chicken when it tastes so good!?? Plus, you can't take pics when eating with your fingers!

Worth it? Oh yes, totally!
Old 10th November 2011, 23:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh yes - for folks like us who are committed non-vegetarians, it does become an issue!

Hi,
How would you describe yourself:- non-veg, omnivorous, or carnivorous? !

Someone tell MMI/ Satguide that Dhabas are not restaurants, and need a separate well populated category.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 11th November 2011, 09:53   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
How would you describe yourself:- non-veg, omnivorous, or carnivorous? !
Now, that's a tough one! I would say: preferably ashakahari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Someone tell MMI/ Satguide that Dhabas are not restaurants, and need a separate well populated category.
@HVK, you are our man to discuss this with the MMI guys!
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2011, 10:56   #30
BHPian

SS-Traveller; you have provided a good sampling of all the dhabas till Karnal. The chicken paranthas look really, really good.

Head further on the road till Ambala, go under the flyover, take a U-turn, reach the main intersection diagonally opposite the railway station and look out for Deluxe Dhaba. Try their Sandhu Dal and Seekh Kebabs with Butter Nans. Ask for Nimbu Paani as a beverage to accompany your meal. Head further on towards Chandigarh, take a careful U-turn when you see the Verka Milk Bar at the Bhushan Steels gate - enjoy flavoured milk and pure ghee pinnis which are sinfully rich and delicious.

There are many, many more places en route all the way to Himachal and Punjab, not to mention the overload of oranges and kinoos heaped on the roadsides.

Foodies Paradise !!
Sugeeta is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks